Tapology Forums

PERSONAL THREAD FOR @SABBATH, ET AL.

Anonymous Mode

You are not logged in to Tapology. When browsing anonymously, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

Moorlady
Moorlady

03.13.2022 | 5:19 PM ET

1) Where is everyone from?

2) What drew you to MMA?

Responses Page 3

Sabbath
Sabbath
  • Predictions:  1,892  |  63.7%
  • Forum Posts:  2,544
  • Post Score: 238

03.14.2022 | 2:32 PM ET

Gregory

Funny, I tried getting my brother into the sport the same way. He thought the lore was interesting but the actual sport didn’t seem to peak his interest. He really only started becoming a fan after he saw the Joaquin Buckley knockout live. Hilariously, I had to use the bathroom right when the knockout happened and heard him screaming “YOOOOOO HE ******* KILLED THAT MAN” from downstairs 

"My teachings always come with a receipt because I am the profit."

WastelandWanderer
WastelandWanderer
  • Predictions:  155,871  |  66.6%
  • Forum Posts:  13,491
  • Post Score: 130

03.14.2022 | 2:45 PM ET

I grew up in the Strawberry Beds valley in Dublin Ireland so maybe thats where im from

One day in the summer of 2007 I was about to go out when I was looking through the TV channels, I saw a Chuck Liddell highlight followed by a Diego Sanchez highlight, and I've been an MMAJunkie since then.

I was into martial arts from a young age so when I saw MMA I was very intrigued and when I saw several fighters from my style in UFC, M1 Global and PRIDE FC it really got me into MMA but I quickly became interested in all styles and realised its better to learn all styles if you can, or aspects of differents styles, I was more close minded to training in different styles before I saw MMA. Some of my favorite MMA is the oldskool UK MMA event Cage Rage where I watched a young Paul Daley throw bombs at people, and many other crazy fights, also Strikeforce and M1 Global Team vs Team events, WEC and Bodog Fight

* Edited at 03.14.2022, 2:52 PM ET *

"I am the greatest blonde man in the world. I am Tru Viking." - Alexander Gustaffsson / "The world must bow to my glory. I am a God amongst mortals. They must pay me tribute in wine and concubine for my deeds." - Jon Jones "

AyyLmaonnaise
AyyLmaonnaise
  • Predictions:  16,276  |  67.3%
  • Forum Posts:  32,372
  • Post Score: 89

03.14.2022 | 2:49 PM ET

I have single-handedly gotten all of my friends and family into mma and I love it

"“Unfortunately you can’t talk like that on FOX” - Joe Rogan"

Stephen Terry
Stephen Terry
  • Predictions:  41,595  |  69.3%
  • Forum Posts:  7,359
  • Post Score: 285

03.14.2022 | 5:39 PM ET

@AyyLmaonnaise

Any tips for how to do that? I don't have any friends (at least ones I've physically met) who like MMA. Most don't even know the sport exists and when I show them clips, they just assume it's a variant of pro wrestling. Either that or they go hard the other way and assume that there's something wrong with me for liking something as brutal as that. 

"I wish you good luck but I don't want you to rely on luck"

Hadrian Caesar
Hadrian Caesar
  • Predictions:  904  |  67.1%
  • Forum Posts:  1,114
  • Post Score: 338

03.14.2022 | 5:46 PM ET

Born in Portsmouth in England, lived in a suburban village called Stubbington my whole short life

Was bored as **** in the pandemic and honestly in a really bad place. Had watched the occasional Mcgregor highlight video but didn't watch an event until 251. **** was free on BT sport so i stay up and start watching by Prochazka Oezdemir is on. Loved it since, even though the main event was dog. 

Found tapology after a falling out with a long term friend. Used to watch mma with him and get pissed. Then he got in to radical islam, got annoyed at me for drinking and even more annoyed for being a ****** ha. No other friends liked mma so i started conversing on here 

Appreciate you lot a lot, but if i can finally get a friend in to mma or even better a bird i'm ditching you ****s ha 

"Cowards die many times before their deaths; The valiant never taste of death but once." - Julius Caesar.

AyyLmaonnaise
AyyLmaonnaise

03.14.2022 | 6:04 PM ET

@stephen what I did to get them interested was show highlight reels of best ko’s to get them excited and once they gained enough interest then I usually get as many friends as possible to come drink and watch the fights on Saturday’s and it’s now became a regular Saturday tradition; like watching American football on sundays

AyyLmaonnaise
AyyLmaonnaise

03.14.2022 | 6:07 PM ET

I think another thing that helps is how passionate I am about the sport. I think my friends just like hearing me talk about it lol. 

Stephen Terry
Stephen Terry

03.14.2022 | 6:27 PM ET

@AyyLmaonnaise

Whenever I show them KO's from MMA (I usually go for the more spectacular ones like Joaquin Buckley's spinning back kick KO for instance) and they usually either think it's faked or it's too brutal for them. I showed a one of my colleagues Francis N'Gannou's KO of Stipe Miocic once and he said it was fake because of the way Miocic's leg bend under his body as he fell and that doesn't happen when someone is knocked out apparently. 

Same deal with submissions, they see a guy tap out and assume it's the same as wrestling tap outs. I had one guy tell me that it's obviously a fake fight when someone taps out as a real fighter wouldn't tap out and so must be following a script. I've also had some new people I meet assume I must be some kind of violent arsehole for liking it and have avoided me. There's not much coverage of MMA in the UK so the sport is badly misunderstood. There is coverage of the sport but you have to seek it out, it's not like football (soccer) that's covered in every newspaper/sports bulletin for instance. 

AyyLmaonnaise
AyyLmaonnaise

03.14.2022 | 6:45 PM ET

Ahhh, maybe that’s why. A lot of people my age (20 year old college student) know the Mcgregors and the adesanyas and the masvidals so they have some knowledge of the sport. Maybe Americans just enjoy violence more lol! That’s pretty funny about people thinking it’s faked. Something I did was host a watch party for a good event (this weeks card sure would be a good one). Invite some people over, get drinks and food, and just have a good time. What I found that worked was explaining that it’s more than just violence and maybe explaining the rules would work well. Oddly enough I’ve found a lot of my friends love the ground game aspect of the sport too. Then again it really could be that young American adults just like watching people get beaten up🤣. 

Stephen Terry
Stephen Terry

03.14.2022 | 6:57 PM ET

I tried inviting a friend over for Saturday and he asked who was fighting and obviously I knew he wouldn't have heard of anyone on the card so I tried telling him a bit about them and tried to hype the fights up but he simply said he'd think about it which knowing him means no lol. Maybe I'm just a **** promotor lol! With my close group of friends that I hang out with, I genuinely believe that nothing short of a Conor McGregor VS Khabib rematch would make them want to watch. 

AyyLmaonnaise
AyyLmaonnaise

03.14.2022 | 7:04 PM ET

Damn that is unfortunate lol. They’re definitely missing out. They really won’t even show up for paddy the baddy? You would think tht would be the one guy they would know or at least be interested in lol

Stephen Terry
Stephen Terry

03.14.2022 | 7:04 PM ET

I did manage to have a virtual meet up with one of my friends who had Covid at the time to watch the 3rd Tyson Fury VS Deontay Wilder fight and chat which ended at about 6:30am lol but that's the closest I've come so far even though it wasn't MMA. I guess the difference is that Fury is a superstar over here in all the papers and tabloids etc. so I think more coverage is needed for sure.

Stephen Terry
Stephen Terry

03.14.2022 | 7:08 PM ET

@AyyLmaonnaise

Nope, Paddy Pimblett is just another MMA fighter really but he does feature heavily in the UK MMA websites ect. Still, he is very much just "MMA famous" rather than legitimately famous. He could very easily pop to his local Tescos and might only be recognised by 1 or 2 people at most, though the UFC are doing a great job of promoting him to be fair.

Moorlady
Moorlady

03.14.2022 | 7:10 PM ET

@Ayy, I'm so glad that you have friends who are into it!  Ah, to be 20 and have MMA friends in RL! 

@Stephen, I can empathize.  My friends and family definitely think there's something wrong with me for liking such a violent sport.  Also, everyone I know in IRL who's into is a dude, and it's hard to walk that friend/dating line without it getting weird.  I did pay to steal one of the tvs in a sports bars away from local baseball once, and there was a girl in the bar who had trained boxing.  She and I appreciated Brian Ortega together.  I hope it's not the last time I have that experience with another combat sports fan!

@Swain. My knee-jerk reaction to your comment was so Dee Reynolds.  "I'm teeny tiny!"  I really hope you watch It's Always Sunny!
AyyLmaonnaise
AyyLmaonnaise

03.14.2022 | 7:10 PM ET

That’s actually very interesting because most of my friends were asking me when he was gonna fight next. Sounds like the ufc has to do a better job promoting outside the US lol

* Edited at 03.14.2022, 7:11 PM ET *

Stephen Terry
Stephen Terry

03.14.2022 | 7:24 PM ET

@AyyLmaonnaise

For the UFC, I think it's safe to assume that the vast majority of it's fan base are American so it makes sense that they'd focus on them as a priority but I think it's also the different styles of marketing that work in different countries. Take the way Jorge Masvidal VS Colby Covington was promoted for instance. I'm sure the rivalry would've been a selling point to US audiences but I didn't even bother telling my friends about that fight simply because I knew they'd watch one promo video for it and jump to the "that exactly like a pro wrestling story-line" argument again. Honestly, just a simple "here are two of the best Welterweights in the world and we're gonna put them in a cage and have them fight with limited rules and just see what the **** happens" would've worked better.

AyyLmaonnaise
AyyLmaonnaise

03.14.2022 | 7:28 PM ET

Yeah that’s true. Anyways, I wish you the best of luck in getting your friends to get into mma! I’m sure they will budge eventually 

Stephen Terry
Stephen Terry

03.14.2022 | 7:31 PM ET

@AyyLmaonnaise

I certainly hope so. The sport is growing over here but just very slowly.

AyyLmaonnaise
AyyLmaonnaise

03.14.2022 | 7:39 PM ET

I have a firm belief mma will be a household name sometime in the next 10 years

Moorlady
Moorlady

03.14.2022 | 7:41 PM ET

@AyyLmaonnaise

Olympics?  Should we?  Could we?  Or is our beauty in our internationalism?

Page 3

You must be signed in to reply. Sign in or register to join the discussion.

As an anonymous reader, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

• MMA Junkie : With Colby Covington 'running,' Ian Machado Garry reveals slew of names offered by UFC
  • Bad Left Hook : PODCAST: Tyson Fury vs Oleksandr Usyk preview, Lomachenko, more
  • MMAFighting.com : Report: Devin Haney’s attorney calls for Ryan Garcia disqualification in NYSAC letter, Garcia responds
  • MMAFighting.com : UFC announces return to Paris on Sept. 28
  • MMA Junkie : UFC announces return to Paris on September 28
  • MMAFighting.com : Matt Brown recounts wild story of nearly getting stabbed in jail: ‘It almost backfired very badly’
  • Jits Magazine : ADXC 4 Full Preview
  • MMA Junkie : Dana White says UFC card at Sphere will be one and done: 'Nobody will ever be able to pull this off again'
  • MMA Mania : Sorry, Tampa! UFC Heads To Denver With Namajunas Vs. Barber
  • UFC.com : UFC RETURNS TO PARIS FOR THIRD-CONSECUTIVE YEAR ON SATURDAY, SEPTEMBER 28
  • MMA Junkie : Dominick Cruz addresses Jose Aldo fight not coming together for UFC 301
  • MMAFighting.com : Morning Report: Aljamain Sterling ‘would bet my life savings’ against Sean O’Malley in rematch: ‘It was an off-night’
  • MMA Mania : MVP, Buckley ... Brady? ‘I’ve Said, ‘Yes!!!’
  • MMA Mania : MVP, Buckley, Brady? ‘I’ve Said Yes’
  • Jits Magazine : Fight 2 Win 253 Full Results And Review
  • Jits Magazine : Three-Time NCAA Champion Jason Nolf To Make Professional Grappling Debut
  • MMA Junkie : UFC books Tracy Cortez vs. Miranda Maverick for summer showdown
  • MMAFighting.com : Maycee Barber vs. Rose Namajunas targeted for UFC Fight Night headliner on July 13
  • MMA Mania : Midnight Mania: Money Doesn’t Equal Emotional Intelligence
  • MMA Mania : Meet UFC Vegas 92’s ‘Miracle’