Tapology Forums

Russian invasion of Ukraine thread.

Anonymous Mode

You are not logged in to Tapology. When browsing anonymously, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

Baldric Eggling
Baldric Eggling

02.24.2022 | 1:13 AM ET

I'll post what's happening as it comes through for purposes of posterity. Doubt the veracity of what is posted here. Having lived through the Iraq war, I am sure that the vast majority of what gets reported will turn out to be either misinformation or outright ********. Posting because a lot of non-Australia members will be asleep, now. I'll report as much as I can.

So far the g****vine is:

Russia has indeed embarked on a full scale invasion of Ukraine. Air attacks, and ground forces. There has been at least one missile strike, there have been front-line Ukranian casualities ( have seen video, cannot post it here, too graphic).

Footage of an airstrike hitting Lutsk:

https://twitter.com/Conflicts/status/1496721271907889155?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw%7Ctwcamp%5Etweetembed%7Ctwterm%5E1496721271907889155%7Ctwgr%5E%7Ctwcon%5Es1_&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Fpatriots.win%2Fnew

Belarus has thrown in with Russia/is issuing support.
Reports of Ukrainian air defence having shot down multiple Russian planes, either drones or fighters. 

Some other info:

* Edited at 02.24.2022, 1:29 AM ET *

Responses Page 9

Baldric Eggling
Baldric Eggling

02.28.2022 | 6:15 PM ET

I so wish I could kick Stu out of my thread and back to the Box factory.

* Edited at 02.28.2022, 6:16 PM ET *

Baldric Eggling
Baldric Eggling

02.28.2022 | 8:10 PM ET

Imagine how much leverage the Russians have on cornpop.

Baldric Eggling
Baldric Eggling

02.28.2022 | 8:15 PM ET

Of course it's a Texan

* Edited at 02.28.2022, 8:15 PM ET *

Baldric Eggling
Baldric Eggling

02.28.2022 | 8:19 PM ET

Also I wish these ****-fingered dumbass Yanks would stop saying Keev.

It's Key-ev. For ****'s sake.
PilloryChoke
PilloryChoke
  • Predictions:  31,992  |  64.3%
  • Forum Posts:  2,972
  • Post Score: 195

02.28.2022 | 10:22 PM ET

Saw an article on that Texan guy, it's long but he's quite a character.

https://www.texasmonthly.com/articles/son-wealthy-businessman-foot-soldier-vladimir-putin-russia-hacking/?

"When Conor fought Cowboy, he looked like a lion. When he fights stronger opponents, he looks like a scared chicken." - Khabib

Moorlady
Moorlady

02.28.2022 | 11:46 PM ET

Thanks, @Stu.  Liked your poem.  I wonder if it isn't possible to help in an unofficial, non-governmental capacity.  Putin wouldn't be able to point the finger at any foreign power that way.
Baldric Eggling
Baldric Eggling

03.01.2022 | 2:05 AM ET

That should do it

Baldric Eggling
Baldric Eggling

03.01.2022 | 2:07 AM ET

Oh good, glad to hear it's all under control

Baldric Eggling
Baldric Eggling

03.01.2022 | 2:11 AM ET

Interesting

Baldric Eggling
Baldric Eggling

03.01.2022 | 3:56 AM ET

This is actually really bad.

stuthehistoryguy
stuthehistoryguy
  • Predictions:  10,384  |  63.0%
  • Forum Posts:  737
  • Post Score: 316

03.01.2022 | 8:55 AM ET

@Moorlady

Like the Abraham Lincoln brigades in the Spanish Civil War?

We may be past that culturally.

The sanctions are a big deal this time. The Russian oligarchs have a lot of their capital tied up in foreign investments, as the US political situation of the last seven years amply demonstrated. Hitting a plutocracy right in the ledger balance may be more effective than a division of Central European irregulars.irregular.

ETA: and the poem isn't done. Just noodling on my last vacation between meetings. 

* Edited at 03.01.2022, 8:59 AM ET *

"I'm not on your side. I'm not on his side. I'm on the side or being right. - Richard Harrison Sr"

Tieoken
Tieoken
  • Predictions:  1,977  |  59.0%
  • Forum Posts:  3,620
  • Post Score: 313

03.01.2022 | 8:59 AM ET

So, @anyone, as a politically uninitiated individual I'm curious as to why people accuse Ukraine of being a US American puppet state in many ways. I had always assumed that Russia was knocking on the doorstep of Ukraine and they were constantly reaching out to allies and the US was really the only country that 1.) wasn't a fan of Russia and 2.) could comfortably offer protection. So we developed a soft-alliance of sorts.

I get the overlap between the two political entities, but is there any logic in the claims I'm reading that USA basically runs Ukraine or is that just internet punditry?

"I’m here to snatch necks and cash checks" - Darrick Minner

stuthehistoryguy
stuthehistoryguy

03.01.2022 | 9:06 AM ET

@Tieoken, that's mostly the Russian line. NATO and the EU are largely hedges against Russian encroachment. Ukraine's increasing affinity toward the West has Russia paranoid.

When your former fellow citizens join alliances specifically designed to protect against you, that should probably indicate that you have been behaving badly. 

"I'm not on your side. I'm not on his side. I'm on the side or being right. - Richard Harrison Sr"

WastelandWanderer
WastelandWanderer
  • Predictions:  155,871  |  66.6%
  • Forum Posts:  13,491
  • Post Score: 130

03.01.2022 | 9:15 AM ET

"I am the greatest blonde man in the world. I am Tru Viking." - Alexander Gustaffsson / "The world must bow to my glory. I am a God amongst mortals. They must pay me tribute in wine and concubine for my deeds." - Jon Jones "

WastelandWanderer
WastelandWanderer

03.01.2022 | 9:17 AM ET

@Stu Do you think Putin could do something extreme out of desperation? They seem to be taking losses and arms and supplies are coming in for Ukraine, over 500 million worth, if theres time

* Edited at 03.01.2022, 9:20 AM ET *

"I am the greatest blonde man in the world. I am Tru Viking." - Alexander Gustaffsson / "The world must bow to my glory. I am a God amongst mortals. They must pay me tribute in wine and concubine for my deeds." - Jon Jones "

stuthehistoryguy
stuthehistoryguy

03.01.2022 | 9:50 AM ET

@WW, depends on what you mean by "extreme". There wouldn't seem to be any sense in carpet bombing Kyiv, and actually using nuclear weapons seems unthinkable. 

I think/hope we would see enough military pushback to forestall anything like that. If major news sources are to be believed, they've already had one minor mutiny over the nature of the mission.

The consensus I'm seeing among my grad school colleagues is that if Putin is going to escalate, he will do it this week.

This is as close to the Cuban Missile Crisis as we've gotten in my lifetime.

Schwarzkopf
Schwarzkopf
  • Predictions:  1,861  |  55.1%
  • Forum Posts:  706
  • Post Score: 275

03.01.2022 | 10:45 AM ET

Слава Україні!

"Time is the enemy. "

WastelandWanderer
WastelandWanderer

03.01.2022 | 12:04 PM ET

@Stu Thanks for explaining, well im glad countries are letting Ukrainians in they are pretty cool people from what ive heard, and the ones I met were decent people, here will let in at least 20 000 even though there is a housing crisis

* Edited at 03.01.2022, 12:07 PM ET *

WastelandWanderer
WastelandWanderer

03.01.2022 | 12:36 PM ET

I think most of the war refugees are women kids and elderly though, most of the men and youths have stayed behind to fight

WastelandWanderer
WastelandWanderer

03.01.2022 | 1:04 PM ET

Page 9

You must be signed in to reply. Sign in or register to join the discussion.

As an anonymous reader, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

• MMAFighting.com : UFC Vegas 91 predictions
  • MMA Mania : Nicolau Vs. Perez Betting Odds, Breakdown, Prediction
  • Bad Left Hook : McGrail vs Leach: Live discussion, 2 pm ET
  • MMA Junkie : UFC on ESPN 55 play-by-play and live results (4 p.m. ET)
  • MMA Mania : LIVE! BKFC KnuckleMania 4 Results, Streaming Play-By-Play Updates TONIGHT
  • Bad Left Hook : Ramirez vs Barthelemy: Live updates and results, 8 pm ET
  • MMA Mania : BKFC KnuckleMania 4, live stream, play-by-play and results
  • MMA Mania : LIVE! UFC Vegas 91 Results, Streaming Updates TONIGHT!
  • MMA Mania : UFC Vegas 91 live results
  • Jits Magazine : Liisi Vaht Makes Flawless Debut In ONE Friday Fights 60 Results
  • Jits Magazine : Craig Jones Reveals His ‘Stack’ Of Steroids From Ever Titan
  • MMAFighting.com : UFC Vegas 91 Results: Nicolau vs. Perez
  • MMAFighting.com : BKFC KnuckleMania 4 Results: Perry vs. Alves
  • MMA Mania : Midnight Mania: Even Holloway Knows He Got Dropped At UFC 300
  • MMA Junkie : Video: LFA's Kendra McIntyre ragdoll KOs opponent with absolutely vicious head kick
  • MMA Mania : Staredowns! ‘Platinum’ Has Fiery Exchange With Alves
  • MMAFighting.com : BKFC KnuckleMania 4 weigh-in video, results
  • MMA Junkie : Anthony Smith on Alex Pereira: 'Given the opportunity, we both would jump on it'
  • MMA Mania : LIVE! BKFC ‘KnuckleMania 4’ Official Weigh Ins Video!
  • MMA Junkie : Video: BKFC KnuckleMania 4 ceremonial weigh-ins live stream