Tapology Forums

I need a break.

Anonymous Mode

You are not logged in to Tapology. When browsing anonymously, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

Sabbath
Sabbath
  • Predictions:  1,868  |  63.7%
  • Forum Posts:  2,437
  • Post Score: 239

01.23.2022 | 5:43 PM ET

WARNING: BORING LIFE STORY
I think I’m done with Tapology for now. These past few months have been fun, but I’m drained from all the negativity surrounding this place, and that’s in-part due to my own actions as well as others. 

Reason I came to this place was so I didn’t feel lonely watching MMA cards anymore. I used to have a group of friends but after Covid **** changed and we distanced from each other. Wasn’t any hostility in it, just circumstances. I found Tapology under a recommendation of a friend because I originally tried Sherdog and…yeah, I’m sorry, Sherdog sucks balls lmao

I have had some fun times here and have talked with some genuinely cool people. Making jokes while Oron Kahlon got the living **** beat of him on the contender series, and guessing Julianna Peña would beat Amanda Nunes as a joke was some of the funniest **** I’ve ever been a spectator for. I’m a pretty big misanthrope honestly, but interacting with some of you has been a blast. 

That being said, the negativity on this website has gotten me pretty drained as of late. Toxicity is pretty common here. And no, not the kind of toxicity where some of you ****post pictures of 9/11, or rant about how much China sucks (that **** is hilarious) I mean the select few of you who act high and mighty about your picks on a fight card, and then when it goes horribly wrong, you either cross your arms in the most defensive ***** manner imaginable, or just pretend that miscalculation of judgement was some form of robbery. At first it was cute, now it’s legitimately ******* annoying. It’s a number dude, get over it, nobody is ever going to go above 70% on their betting percentage, and even those with just 70% or slightly lower usually grind from betting on one-sided regional events where the favorites are quadruple digits in odds. It kinda pisses me off.

One person in particular, said I was ******** for picking a certain underdog. Now, I get it, the analysis that I posted wasn’t the best and that fighter’s odds were pretty low at the time…but sure enough, my bet wins. Did I get an acknowledgment from the guy who said I was a ******? No, nothing. He just stayed silent throughout the rest of the card, then tried to act all goody-goody with me when I started posting different predictions. I’m not gonna call anyone out (I’m sure any vets of this website know most of the ones I’m referring to) but I got so sick of seeing ******** like this that I started adopting this hard-ass persona to “roast” everyone, and as a result came off more or less like an unfunny prick. I have a dark sense of humor, but what you’ve seen the past month or two ain’t who I am. I just want to have civil, interesting discussions about MMA matchups. That’s it. Yet, I feel like I have to be a try-hard to fit in with most of you, and for that, I’m sorry.

Mentally, I’m exhausted. I used to do this for fun but as of recently, my health has depleted due to my workload, I haven’t been able to train at the gym as consistently as I wanted to, and my picks on the site have suffered as a result of my stress. I don’t want to sound like a ***** or nothing, but I wanted to post this cause I don’t know when I’m coming back, and I see a lot of old accounts from years ago where they never gave a reason why they disappeared. They were just…gone. Surprisingly, some of you seem to think I’m still cool or whatever, so I wanted to leave to let you all know I’m leaving to improve myself as a person and focus on more important hobbies. I apologize for any harm I might have to you as a person or in general, even if I genuinely don’t like how you portray yourself online. I’ll see you all again…whenever. 
This user is suspended from posting until 9 years, 2 months, 2 weeks, 1 day, 3 hours, and 39 minutes from now.

Responses Page 2

RustyTennakoon
RustyTennakoon
  • Predictions:  1,464  |  67.8%
  • Forum Posts:  2,816
  • Post Score: 141

01.25.2022 | 4:06 PM ET

@Sabbath

Hey man, sorry to see you go. You are one of the good ones along with Baldric and a few others.

I am relatively new to Tapology so I can't comment on what it used to be like, but even in the short time I have been here I have seen ppl who I thought were freindly at first turn on you pretty quick because of small things. My problem is that I react to that which I shouldn't and won't from now on.

After last weeks UFC card I realized that I post too much and talk too much on here, so I take your point DamienHandel. I am going to post less and react less. Sorry if my number of posts on here have also been a part of the problem. I am going to still post my thoughts but be a lot quieter.

Hope Sabbath comes back soon, like I said he is cool

* Edited at 01.25.2022, 4:08 PM ET *

Baldric Eggling
Baldric Eggling

01.25.2022 | 4:16 PM ET

Haha! I knew if I threw enough rocks at the glass you'd have to come to the window eventually!

Honestly mate it sounds as though you need more staff. I'm not trying to tell you how to run the show, and I'm hesitant to say this but it might be worth considering putting some mods (oh god please be careful when doing this though) on the books or maybe hiring somebody/ a couple of people to help out with backend stuff. 

If it's true that Tap has experienced that much growth that quickly you've doubtless got a very demanding mistress on your hands here, now. I've never doubted the work you've put into this place. You have sounded stretched recently--not a knock, just an observation. I would personally prefer it if you still had the energy left at the end of the day to tell me why I'm an imbecile/wrong about everything and ****post in live chat threads. I miss that version of Greg. 

Baldric Eggling
Baldric Eggling

01.25.2022 | 5:13 PM ET

@Rusty I will be gone soon too, truth be told. I kind of agree with Sabbath. The good members no longer outweigh the bad. Too many low-quality posts, too many boring/milquetoast people. That has nothing to do with greg and as I have already said it's a reflection of society broadly. Tapology is kind of becoming a day care centre. It's also infested with a lot of very, very stupid Americans.

I'll probably just go back to not wasting my time here and not watching MMA.

* Edited at 01.25.2022, 5:14 PM ET *

loudenSwain
loudenSwain
  • Predictions:  15,071  |  63.0%
  • Forum Posts:  6,313
  • Post Score: 283

01.25.2022 | 6:42 PM ET

As one without any social media platforms or desire to have any, and the consensus most level headed poster on the forum or arguably any forum ever, I gotta tell you all, y’all put far too much thought and attention into this ****.  You guys take this **** far too seriously, especially the opinions and arguments of other posters. Whether they be a level headed sound minded poster like myself, a peon or troll or other, at the end of the day, that’s just some other ************ somewhere else ********ting in an mma forum. You can dig as deep as you want in the pile of **** but you’re still just shoveling ****. 

* Edited at 01.25.2022, 6:43 PM ET *

"This is Prize-Fighting, IDGAF about your family or your problems - MassaBruce"

Baldric Eggling
Baldric Eggling

01.25.2022 | 6:47 PM ET

@swain it's all fair but why stick around if you don't like the joint? If I go to a restaurant and the food sucks and so do the staff and the clientele, I just don't go back.

No point hanging around *****ing about it every other day.
loudenSwain
loudenSwain
  • Predictions:  15,071  |  63.0%
  • Forum Posts:  6,313
  • Post Score: 283

01.25.2022 | 9:03 PM ET

If fantasy mma isn’t the biggest part of your life then you should go to where other casuals go and the green grass grows. 

"This is Prize-Fighting, IDGAF about your family or your problems - MassaBruce"

Baldric Eggling
Baldric Eggling

01.25.2022 | 9:22 PM ET

Well for me I'm kind of only active on 1-2 social media sites tops. I don't do twitter/facebook/instagram or any of that other **** and designate my online interactions to two special interest forums max at any given time. Though when I was banned from Tap I wasn't really posting on any.

Kind of sucks how much of a snoozefest and general troglodyte festival tap has become but I suppose that's the way of things, that's how it goes. Pretty much just you, Teioken, Phil, Chris, Mikey, Stephen and few others I'm forgetting are the only reason I still post here. It's hard to find people to chat with about MMA online who aren't twelve year olds, absolute ****smokers or both.

The climate of fear here is a drag though. Everybody is too worried about getting their ass spanked to actually say what they really think and the people that do get suspended. It kind of disgusts of me TBH.

* Edited at 01.25.2022, 9:27 PM ET *

Stephen Terry
Stephen Terry
  • Predictions:  41,304  |  69.2%
  • Forum Posts:  7,313
  • Post Score: 285

01.25.2022 | 9:45 PM ET

@Baldric Eggling

I don't know about anyone else but I don't really fear the threat of getting suspended tbh. I know that's mostly because I would never say anything to intentionally offend anyone or break Tapology's rules, though I did slag off Boris Johnson on your thread and it was only after I posted that, I thought "wait, what if this goes against the no politics rule?" before realising that even if I did get suspended for that violation, it would've only been for a week or so max and afterwards I'd have simply said sorry @Gregory, won't happen again and moved on. I don't think getting suspended is a deterrent to trolls either as @TABARNAKK and @johnnyonthespot keep coming back despite being suspended more times than I can remember so it acts as a short term fire-breaker but not really as a deterrent. As for what the answer to trolls is, I've no idea, it seems we just have to live with them but I can see why they put people off, especially new white belts who might just be posting to the forum for the first time.

"I wish you good luck but I don't want you to rely on luck"

Baldric Eggling
Baldric Eggling

01.25.2022 | 9:50 PM ET

Greg won't suspend you as long as you continue to work for what he pays you. Pro tip.

He won't suspend you for talking politics. He'll definitely suspend me for doing it because he kind of hates me. He's not that bad though to be fair and is a pretty good mod overall. He's got a bad case of never being able to admit to being wrong about anything, but that's par for just about everybody I've known in any kind of executive role.
Stephen Terry
Stephen Terry

01.25.2022 | 10:03 PM ET

@Baldric Eggling

I've never known it to happen so I may be wrong but I'd still have assumed that editors could get suspended. Yes, I'm an editor for the site but first and foremost, I'm still an MMA fan who primarily comes here to look into and talk about fights and hang out with other MMA fans and I don't see why I should be given any special exemption to the rules should I ever step out of line just because I also contribute to the site. Again, I don't know from personal experience but I assumed that getting suspended just stops you from posting to the forums which would mean I could still get on with the editing side of things as posting to the forums isn't necessary to edit (quite a lot of the editors are mute on the site or hardly say anything. Me and @Mikey1903 are very much the exceptions when it comes to commenting editors). 

Even then it doesn't necessarily stop you completely from commenting. I don't know if they've patched it yet but I remember one time when @freemoneyforall was suspended, he found a loophole where you could make comments in the small comments section while making your picks (the feature where it automatically comes up with the fight and your breakdown in italics) and they would still come up on the forum despite being suspended. I don't know if that still works but if @Gregory wanted to experiment then I'd be happy for him to suspend me for a bit and I'll break down the upcoming Bellator card via that method to see if it still works or not.

* Edited at 01.25.2022, 10:05 PM ET *

Baldric Eggling
Baldric Eggling

01.25.2022 | 10:06 PM ET

And one more thing: Johnny isn't a troll. He simply thinks the pandemic is a Hoax. He's partially right. Not in the sense that the virus isn't real, because it is, but in the sense that its lethality has been vastly dramatised and overstated by the media and governments and they have essentially conducted an extended fear campaign and what we are witnessing is the biggest mission creep and wealth/power transference to the 1% I've seen in all my years on this green rock.

The world needs dissenters, Stephen, in the same way you can't get rid of a turd without an *******.
Baldric Eggling
Baldric Eggling

01.25.2022 | 10:11 PM ET

Freemoney didn't discover that. Another user did. His name was Mikey (not the homeless scotsman) and he was a Nazi. I don't mean that in the loose blue-haired SJW ****tard sense. He was literally a Nazi. Hated Jews. Holocaust denier. I tried to talk him out of it. It didn't work. I never really believed that there were people like that still out there--and although I still believe they are extremely few and far between, I will never again argue the point with Greg on that topic and I understand why he is sometimes paranoid about them. Because I've seen it.
Stephen Terry
Stephen Terry

01.25.2022 | 10:16 PM ET

@Baldric Eggling

Well even if we ignore what he says about the pandemic, it's still the general tone in which he says it. Take his latest comment on the Bellator card for instance. He mentions his views about the pandemic which is one thing (which we'll ignore for this case) but is the "Boston garbage" or "******* *******" comments really necessary? If he attacked people's arguments then I wouldn't have any issue but when you start attacking the person, then that's a different issue. I don't agree with a lot of your views politically but I do respect them as you at least go through the effort to break it down a lot of the time. @johnnyonthespot is just a low effort "here's my view, no room for discussion, if you disagree then you're ********" type poster. Nothing noteworthy about his particular style at all.

* Edited at 01.25.2022, 10:18 PM ET *

Baldric Eggling
Baldric Eggling

01.25.2022 | 10:27 PM ET

That's what happens when you continually silence, ban, oppress, belittle, ridicule, disregard and censor people.

This is in fact the longstanding argument I've had with Greg the entire time. The net result of censorship and political correctness is that things end up more toxic than they were before. He's never been able to understand this. When you don't allow people like Johnny to voice their opinions--regardless of how insane or nonsensical they might be, those people don't go away. They simply form new communities and cliques and become more extreme and validated in their beliefs that they have been conspired against--and in a sense they are right.

That's how you get people like Johnny--and at the extreme end of things, Mikey the Nazi. Nobody starts  out that way. They turn sour like milk.

Cancel culture, the media and political correctness has created a Golem that is about to break its cage, soon.  It will be ugly.
Stephen Terry
Stephen Terry

01.25.2022 | 10:49 PM ET

@Baldric Eggling

Another thing to consider is the environment you're in as well. If I were to go onto some current affairs forum, comments like @johnnyonthespot's are exactly what I'd expect to see. This however is an MMA forum albeit with a wide scope of general conversation. If he wants to express those views, I have absolutely no problem with him doing that on mainstream social media or whatever but is here on an MMA specific site really the best place? 

On a separate note, one thing I've noticed since I started editing is that after going through the social media profiles of fighters to find out more info, I've noticed that A LOT of them share yours and @johnnyonthespot's views. I've seen so many anti-vax, anti-mask, anti-mandate, anti-lockdown memes posted/shared by them that it is genuinely intriguing to me why fighters in particular tend to take these views. I'm not gonna talk **** about them and it doesn't change my views on them but it is certainly an intriguing observation.

Xconchris
Xconchris
  • Predictions:  6,149  |  67.0%
  • Forum Posts:  6,142
  • Post Score: 333

01.25.2022 | 10:54 PM ET

i am curious what other social media websites you guys use? i have a facebook buts its just for family, no rational discussion at all. i hate most of the people i am friends with there.

"Dont take life too serious, you will never make it out alive."

Stephen Terry
Stephen Terry

01.25.2022 | 11:03 PM ET

@Xconchris

I have all the main ones but I only created them once I became an editor and only use them for researching fights and forming connections with promotors etc. For personal use, none at all. I have no interest in knowing what my friends had for breakfast and if I did suddenly get overwhelmed with curiosity, I'd just text them.

Baldric Eggling
Baldric Eggling

01.25.2022 | 11:19 PM ET

But that's the problem, Stephen. The forces that are pro lockdowns and mandates control almost everything.

Facebook, google, Twitter, even youtube--are all Silicon Valley companies with hard, extreme left political predictions. Johnny would be banned for saying his piece on twitter and facebook. He probably has been, already. It's now a sin to question 'the science' (whatever the **** that even means) or the official state and corporate narratives.

So what's left are places like Tapology and various other 'alt' forums where there are shreds of free speech privileges remaining. 

We know cloth masks don't really work. In fact even the CDC has come out and said as much ostensibly. The latest recommendation from them now is that you need a particular type of mask with a particular rating. Now, when I said this over a year ago (that a dumb ass cloth face rag stitched out of a used t-shirt by grandma does nothing) Greg ***** slipped me for spreading 'disinformation'. And now here we are. Does he have the humility to admit it? Of course not. I'm not angry at him for it. I'm disappointed. Because I want him to be better. Ditto vaccinations stopping transmissions, which is an utterly indefensible position now given the current data. Everybody who was around when I was saying that this didn't make sense, who was postulating about how it was their 'moral duty' to get vaccinated in order to help stop the spread, and were screaming about the 'pandemic of the unvaccinated' has suddenly become very mum on the whole issue--or are outright pretending they never said any of it. 

Ditto when I predicted high inflation pressure to a reasonably accurate timeframe. Ditto ivermectin. Ditto monoclonal antibodies. And on and on and on.

Can you see why I might be more than a tad irate about the whole thing? Why others who share my views might be when the advice and origin story has been so amorphous, changing basically month to month, and people just keep gobbling it up unquestioningly without having done any research of their own whatsoever? Can you see how that might drive someone like me, who is thoughtful, absolutely insane?

And while we're on it, props to Tieoken. He's literally the only person who was involved in the Ivermectin discussion who looked at it without bias and didn't just parrot the screams of 'horse paste'! Fed to them by dip****s on CNN and various other MSM outlets.

* Edited at 01.25.2022, 11:20 PM ET *

Cheeseball
Cheeseball
  • Predictions:  13,293  |  71.5%
  • Forum Posts:  5,944
  • Post Score: 247

01.25.2022 | 11:51 PM ET

I have a reddit account but I'm strongly considering deleting it because redditors only ever like one narrative anything else gets nuked with downvotes. I get quality MMA conversations here unlike reddit.

"🌽⚽️"

Baldric Eggling
Baldric Eggling

01.25.2022 | 11:57 PM ET

Reddit was going broke until it was essentially handed 150 million dollars by tencent, which you have to remember is a CCP asset (virtually all large business in China is) and also controls tiktok, which is also CCP controlled.

Tiktok is banned in China. They know it is psychological poison. They're happy for it to run its business in the West though, naturally.

Reddit is basically artfully conceived CCP propagandising. It is manipulated at the algorithmic and moderation levels to create anti-American sentiment, and it is extremely effective in doing it.  

* Edited at 01.25.2022, 11:58 PM ET *

Page 2

You must be signed in to reply. Sign in or register to join the discussion.

As an anonymous reader, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

• MMAFighting.com : Watch UFC Vegas 91 weigh-in video live now
  • UFC.com : Karine Silva Is All-Business, All-Action
  • MMA Junkie : Matheus Nicolau vs. Alex Perez prediction, pick: Which flyweight stays in contention at UFC on ESPN 55?
  • UFC.com : Jonathan Pearce: Knocking On The Door
  • MMA Mania : Coach Benched Dariush To ‘Focus On His Health’
  • UFC.com : Marnic Mann Gets Down To Business
  • Middle Easy : Anthony Smith ‘Shocked’ By How Good Sean Strickland Truly Is: ‘He Only Shows a Small Part of His Game’
  • MMA Junkie : Photos: BKFC: Knucklemania 4 pre-fight press conference
  • MMAFighting.com : Thiago Alves was basically retired until BKFC called for Mike Perry fight: ‘Money talks’
  • MMA Mania : LIVE! UFC Vegas 91 Early Weigh Ins!
  • MMA Junkie : Jose Aldo ready to trade leg kicks with Jonathan Martinez at UFC 301: 'I'm a specalist at what I do'
  • MMAFighting.com : Missed Fists: Fighter cusses out judge, tells them to quit
  • MMA Junkie : UFC champion Sean O'Malley on delay for Merab Dvalishvili title bout: 'I'm not fighting out of the country'
  • MMA Mania : BKFC ‘KnuckleMania 4’ Predictions
  • MMAFighting.com : Anthony Smith stands by Alex Pereira criticism but promises he’s not just ‘talking sh*t’ about him
  • UFC.com : Weigh-In Results | UFC Fight Night: Nicolau vs Perez
  • MMA Mania : Hunt Files To Unseal All Docs In UFC-Lesnar Lawsuit
  • MMA Junkie : Savannah Marshall signed with PFL for Claressa Shields rematch: 'The goal is to make a build-up'
  • MMA Mania : NSAC To Fine Biters, Brawlers And Diego Lopes?!?
  • MMA Mania : NAC To Fine Biters, Brawlers And Diego Lopez?!