Topic: Ben Askren

Why do people say Ben Askren 'has only beat nobodies'?

Anonymous Mode

You are not logged in to Tapology. When browsing anonymously, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

MikeLovesTacos XD
MikeLovesTacos XD
  • Predictions:  30,326  |  59.3%
  • Forum Posts:  22,487
  • Post Score: 203

12.11.2013 | 12:24 PM ET

His last 5 wins-

Andrey Koreshkov (13-1):

• Beat Lyman Good.
  • Finished Marius Zaromskis.
  • Beat Jordan Smith.

Karl Amoussou (16-6-2):

• Submitted Bryan Baker.
  • Beat David Rickels.
  • Submitted Chris Lozano.
  • Knocked out Kazuhiro Nakamura.
  • Submitted Alex Yakovlev.

Douglas Lima  (25-5):

• Knocked out Ben Saunders x2.
  • Knocked out Bryan Baker.
  • Finished Michail Tsarev.
  • Knocked out Chris Lozano.
  • Finished Ryan Ford.
  • Beat Steve Carl.
  • Beat Clint Hester.

Jay Hieron (23-7):

• Beat Rick Hawn.
  • Beat Brent Weedman.
  • Beat Jesse Taylor.
  • Beat Joe Riggs.
  • Knocked out Jason High.
  • Beat Jake Ellenberger.
  • Beat Pat Healy.

Nick Thompson (38-14-1):

• Knocked out Eddie Alvarez.
  • Beat Paul Daley.
  • Submitted Ansar Chalangov.
  • Submitted Chris Wilson.
  • Beat Keith Wisniewski.
  • Submitted Josh Neer.
  • Beat Brian Gassaway.
  • His losses are for the most part are all to LEGIT competition.

It seems like the only argument for why Askren 'sucks' is because he has beaten "nobodies".. why is this a thing when it so clearly not true?

* Edited at 12.11.2013, 12:25 PM ET *

"Why are you booing me? I am the GOAT. **** you." - Patricio "Pitbull" Freire

"Funky" Ben Askren

Fighter Details

• Name: Ben Askren
  • Pro MMA Record: 19-2-0, 1 NC (Win-Loss-Draw)
  • Nickname: Funky
  • Current Streak: 2 Losses
  • Last Fight: October 26, 2019 in UFC
  • Weight Class: Welterweight | Last Weigh-In: 171.0 lbs
  • Affiliation: Roufusport MMA Academy
  • Height: 5'11" (181cm) | Reach: 71.0" (180cm)
  • Career Disclosed Earnings: $1,160,000 USD
  • Born: Cedar Rapids, Iowa
  • Fighting out of: Hartland, Wisconsin, United States
  • College: University of Missouri
  • Foundation Style: Wrestling
  • Head Coach: Duke Roufus
  • Other Coaches: N/A
  • Fighter Links:
  • Personal Links:

Responses

cal1
cal1
  • Predictions:  22,053  |  63.5%
  • Forum Posts:  5,001
  • Post Score: 251

12.11.2013 | 12:43 PM ET

Dana White is an ass for all the "Askren barely beat Heiron" stuff, he knew that would rile up his minions. I don't see a lot of people saying Askren "has only beat nobodies", though, except a few on Sherdog. YOU watch a lot of MMA, and YOU know that a guy like Douglas Lima is world class and could do well in any organization in the world, but good luck convincing others who won't take the time to watch a competing organization. 

"UFC 151 NEVER FORGET"

mmafan2013
mmafan2013
  • Predictions:  106  |  69.8%
  • Forum Posts:  447
  • Post Score: -220

12.11.2013 | 12:52 PM ET

cos he pretty much has if you only follow the ufc .
bens pretty good but i think its the fact he talks about himself like he is the 2ndcoming when yes he is good but pretty untested at ufc level.
 its like when he says he is better than gsp when gsp does what he does and makes it look amazing .

but id like too see him in the ufc ASAP

"Element Knows"

joe kerr
joe kerr
  • Predictions:  242,073  |  68.8%
  • Forum Posts:  4,850
  • Post Score: 267

12.11.2013 | 12:56 PM ET

3 of the above never fought in the UFC and of the two that did, Hieron is 0-4 and Thompson is 1-1, so of course they must all be nobodies.

"If the enemy rejects the ground, I would take him down by tackle. Why didn’t he [Royler] do so? May I introduce him to a good coach? His tackle was... like a girl’s one... Mr. Royler, how are you feeling?" - Kazushi Sakuraba

mmafan2013
mmafan2013
  • Predictions:  106  |  69.8%
  • Forum Posts:  447
  • Post Score: -220

12.11.2013 | 1:01 PM ET

plus he is a bellator fighter and dana has a hatred towards all things bellator

"Element Knows"

trevpicks
trevpicks
  • Predictions:  82,562  |  56.1%
  • Forum Posts:  1,853
  • Post Score: 222

12.11.2013 | 1:01 PM ET

Biggest free agent ever and dana passed = biggest mistake dana has made in regards to signing a fighter ever.
MirkoBroCop
MirkoBroCop
  • Predictions:  2,148  |  60.8%
  • Forum Posts:  327
  • Post Score: 269

12.11.2013 | 1:05 PM ET

Dana doesn't want to bring in another Jake Shields type. He is trying to cleanse the UFC of high paid grinders.
trevpicks
trevpicks

12.11.2013 | 1:10 PM ET

Brocop if that is what dana is doing, then he will be the hitler to mma.
Anik
Anik
  • Predictions:  6,592  |  62.5%
  • Forum Posts:  17,508
  • Post Score: 160

12.11.2013 | 1:16 PM ET

@trevpicks Right, the biggest free agent ever that was passed on by Dana White was Ben Askren, not Fedor ******* EMELIANENKO.

"الله أكبرl"

trevpicks
trevpicks

12.11.2013 | 1:18 PM ET

Fedor refused dana, so yes Bernard.
trevpicks
trevpicks

12.11.2013 | 1:19 PM ET

Again ben is the biggest free agent that dana passed on not fedor to clarify for anik type people.
MirkoBroCop
MirkoBroCop
  • Predictions:  2,148  |  60.8%
  • Forum Posts:  327
  • Post Score: 269

12.11.2013 | 1:32 PM ET

I can totally agree with that. I believe it is ******** to the highest degree. What if back in 1993-1994 people got fed up with Royce Gracie fighting the way he did? The sport never would have progressed to what it is today and there is probably a 90% chance that BJJ wouldn't have near the presence it does in North America as it does today.

If what Jake Shields, Jon Fitch, Yushin Okami and Ben Askren do is so damn boring then maybe you should sign more fighters that are well rounded enough to stop there takedowns and ground game. Not fire a guy like Jacob Volkmann or Jon Fitch for coming off of a loss against top tier competition. It's a slap in the face to the fighters who have spent there entire lives honing and sharpening there skills just to be told by someone who will never strap on a pair of gloves that they aren't UFC caliber fighters.

* Edited at 12.11.2013, 1:38 PM ET *

rappinpapsoda
rappinpapsoda
  • Predictions:  71,490  |  59.8%
  • Forum Posts:  8,601
  • Post Score: 69

12.11.2013 | 8:18 PM ET

I think Dana is afraid that he will go to decisions every time.  

"The only thing predictable about MMA is that it is unpredictable."

hiblet
hiblet
  • Predictions:  26,857  |  60.6%
  • Forum Posts:  2,043
  • Post Score: 208

12.11.2013 | 8:37 PM ET

It has been pretty well established that passing on Askren was more of a slight aimed at Bellator than at Ben. It is showing fighters considering signing with bellator that even if you are the best guy to come out of the promotion, the UFC isn't interested in you. That coupled with Bellators slightly shady contract decisions may very well serve to diminish bellator in the near future, or atleast that is what Dana is hoping. Best case for the UFC, Bellator suffers a serious talent shortage and begins to slowly die. Worst case, nothing changes with bellator and the UFC missed a chance at a pretty good fighter that is untested in UFC level competition, but they can snag him in a couple years for a little more $.
Bigj383
Bigj383
  • Predictions:  8,546  |  63.8%
  • Forum Posts:  5,417
  • Post Score: 187

12.12.2013 | 11:38 AM ET

Do we even know what Bens' s asking Price was? Was he asking Eddie Alvarez money? Because if he was is he really worth it with his best win being Doug Lima. Bellator passed on his asking price, UFC obviously passed. Ben got One FC to pay him something, doubt it was what he was aksing from the UFC though. I would like to see Ben in the UFC to see what he can do against fighters who can stop the TD and have KO power in one package. UFC is a business and Ben isn't exactly going to put buts in the seats....

Of course UFC is trying to break into the Chinese market. Ben joined the evolve fight team and is going to build a name in One FC. If UFC is still working on that market in 2 years Ben becoming a draw there could help.

"It does not make sense that humans deliberately malfunction. - Upgrade"

Anik
Anik
  • Predictions:  6,592  |  62.5%
  • Forum Posts:  17,508
  • Post Score: 160

12.12.2013 | 12:16 PM ET

@Bigj383 It's obvious that the issue isn't about money, I think you completely missed the point.

HOWEVER, that last part of your post is ingenious, I didn't even think about that. That's an excellent point and maybe Askren does know what he's doing.

"الله أكبرl"

Franklin880088
Franklin880088
  • Predictions:  1,570  |  59.7%
  • Forum Posts:  3,452
  • Post Score: 120

12.12.2013 | 1:12 PM ET

Am I the only one that notice how badly Taco is skewing the facts here? 

Nick Thomson really? Dude was on 3 fight TKO losing streak before he fought Askren. He bring up victories of Nicks like Josh Kneer which took place 6 years earlier before Josh was even a ranked fight and Alvarez who is a light weight and the fight was 4 years ago. 

Karl Amoussou really? Taco brings up Karl beating people like David Rockels who a light weight and not even a top 40 ranked light weight at that. He also brings up Karl victories against Chris Lozeano/Jesus Martinez who are both utter cans and if you don't believe me take a look at there records in particular Martinez.  Karl best win is Ryan Baker who at best a top 40 welter weight and not very good fighter. He wins mostly through using superior size/strength. Baker best win coming against an over the hill Jeremy Horn. Then to top it off Karl got beat in his next fight after facing askren by a nobody can named Paul Bradly who if he was lucky would be ranked top 50, but even that is a stretch.

This is just quick break down of two of the opponents of Askren you skewed to seem more impressive then they are. I can do a break down of each of them if need be, but there not impressive opponents. Askren fought only one UFC Caliber fighter and that was Jay Herion. The other guys he fought would last  a fight or two in the UFC before getting cut. However you are skewing it to make them seem like legitment competition when they are not.

Ben Askren could very well be top 10 material, however he only beaten a single UFC caliber opponent. I feel like the majority of people seem unwilling to acknowledge this. Askren I believe very well could be top 10,  but that just are opinions, he yet to prove it. So Taco, people are not saying he fights nobodies, they mean he been only dominantly beating a bunch of fighters who are not UFC caliber which is true. When people do say he beats nobodies it typically in response to people like you trying to pretend Askren been dominantly beating legit UFC level competition. Which is simply false. 

* Edited at 12.12.2013, 1:20 PM ET *

"here I come to save the day"

MikeLovesTacos XD
MikeLovesTacos XD
  • Predictions:  30,326  |  59.3%
  • Forum Posts:  22,487
  • Post Score: 203

12.12.2013 | 1:27 PM ET

I never once said that these guys are top 10 fighters.. My point was that you cant call them 'nobodies'.. You sir, are just misinterpreting what I said ... even though I simply say that they aren't 'nobodies'.

"Why are you booing me? I am the GOAT. **** you." - Patricio "Pitbull" Freire

Franklin880088
Franklin880088

12.12.2013 | 1:34 PM ET

No, I understand what your saying perfectly and you skewering your arguement.

I never said you called them top 10. Your implying there legit competition when there not. There not UFC level, and I am not talking about top 10, and if you read my post you would know this.  There not good enough to even be in the UFC. There all subpar competition. When people say nobodies they mean just that, there not known by the general public, there sub par competition and are not good enough to fight in the major organization which is the UFC for more then a fight or two.

* Edited at 12.12.2013, 1:39 PM ET *

Live2wrestle
Live2wrestle
  • Predictions:  22,473  |  63.5%
  • Forum Posts:  11,857
  • Post Score: 236

12.12.2013 | 1:44 PM ET

Not legit competition? They are for the most part the top WW's outside of the UFC other than the 4 in WSOF. Who is Ben supposed to fight?

"She be curvin all the locals, must like foreigns and this is when I had the Martin, I was just like Lawrence so wassup"

Franklin880088
Franklin880088

12.12.2013 | 1:51 PM ET

yes there not legit (I mean all fighters are legit don't get me wrong, i mean in context of UFC caliber fighters). These guys can't hang in the UFC welter Weight division at all, out side of Herion.

I am not blaming Ben for the level competition he has fought. It not like he gets to choose. However that does not mean we should disregard the fact he has been fighting subpar competition and people referring to them as nobodies really is not far from the mark. Also people should take his level pf competition into consideration when ranking him in the top 10, he done nothing to prove he is top 10. I personally think he might be since his wrestling is just so dam good, but he really has not proven it.  A lot of UFC fighters could have run through the guys he ran through and I am not even talking about the UFC top 10.

* Edited at 12.12.2013, 1:57 PM ET *

You must be signed in to reply. Sign in or register to join the discussion.

As an anonymous reader, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

• MMA Junkie : Video: BKFC KnuckleMania 4 press conference faceoffs featuring UFC vets Mike Perry, Thiago Alves
  • MMA Junkie : Uros Medic: 'Somebody is going to get oiled up' if I get snubbed of bonus at UFC on ESPN 55
  • MMA Junkie : Jose Aldo hopes Conor McGregor 'of old' shows up vs. Michael Chandler at UFC 303
  • MMAFighting.com : UFC lightweight Paddy Pimblett announces arrival of twin baby girls
  • MMA Mania : Copycat! Satoshi Mimicked Oliveira To Score Stellar Finish
  • MMA Junkie : Ariane Lipski plots her 'best performance ever' against Karine Silva at UFC on ESPN 55
  • Bad Left Hook : ‘This will be one of Canelo’s better performances’: Ellerbe expects showcase victory against Munguia
  • MMA Junkie : Video: BKFC KnuckleMania 4 fight-week press conference live stream
  • MMA Junkie : Video: BKFC KnuckleMania 4 fight-week press conference live stream (6 p.m. ET)
  • MMAFighting.com : Watch BKFC KnuckleMania 4 press conference video live now
  • MMAFighting.com : BKFC KnuckleMania 4 press conference video at 6 p.m. ET
  • MMA Junkie : UFC Louisville lineup announced: Dominick Reyes vs. Dustin Jacoby, but no main event official
  • MMA Mania : Wanna Bet Someone Misses Weight? Now You Can!
  • MMA Junkie : Ronda Rousey thinks Joe Rogan, media turned on her after knockout losses: 'They're a bunch of assh*les'
  • MMAFighting.com : Curtis Blaydes: Tom Aspinall fight at UFC 304 makes sense, but I learned ‘don’t get my hopes up’
  • Middle Easy : Trial Date Set for Former UFC Heavyweight Champion Cain Velasquez in Attempted Murder Case
  • MMA Junkie : Israel Adesanya will always respect 'special fighter' Alex Pereira
  • Jits Magazine : PGF World Season 6: Day 3 Recap
  • MMAFighting.com : Shaq: Vitor Belfort knocked out person ‘talking crazy’ at bar
  • UFC.com : UFC UNFILTERED | Ariane Lipski, Austin Hubbard, UFC Fight Night: Nicolau vs Perez picks