Topic: Ben Askren

Why do people say Ben Askren 'has only beat nobodies'?

Anonymous Mode

You are not logged in to Tapology. When browsing anonymously, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

MikeLovesTacos XD
MikeLovesTacos XD
  • Predictions:  30,326  |  59.3%
  • Forum Posts:  22,484
  • Post Score: 203

12.11.2013 | 12:24 PM ET

His last 5 wins-

Andrey Koreshkov (13-1):

• Beat Lyman Good.
  • Finished Marius Zaromskis.
  • Beat Jordan Smith.

Karl Amoussou (16-6-2):

• Submitted Bryan Baker.
  • Beat David Rickels.
  • Submitted Chris Lozano.
  • Knocked out Kazuhiro Nakamura.
  • Submitted Alex Yakovlev.

Douglas Lima  (25-5):

• Knocked out Ben Saunders x2.
  • Knocked out Bryan Baker.
  • Finished Michail Tsarev.
  • Knocked out Chris Lozano.
  • Finished Ryan Ford.
  • Beat Steve Carl.
  • Beat Clint Hester.

Jay Hieron (23-7):

• Beat Rick Hawn.
  • Beat Brent Weedman.
  • Beat Jesse Taylor.
  • Beat Joe Riggs.
  • Knocked out Jason High.
  • Beat Jake Ellenberger.
  • Beat Pat Healy.

Nick Thompson (38-14-1):

• Knocked out Eddie Alvarez.
  • Beat Paul Daley.
  • Submitted Ansar Chalangov.
  • Submitted Chris Wilson.
  • Beat Keith Wisniewski.
  • Submitted Josh Neer.
  • Beat Brian Gassaway.
  • His losses are for the most part are all to LEGIT competition.

It seems like the only argument for why Askren 'sucks' is because he has beaten "nobodies".. why is this a thing when it so clearly not true?

* Edited at 12.11.2013, 12:25 PM ET *

"Why are you booing me? I am the GOAT. **** you." - Patricio "Pitbull" Freire

"Funky" Ben Askren

Fighter Details

• Name: Ben Askren
  • Pro MMA Record: 19-2-0, 1 NC (Win-Loss-Draw)
  • Nickname: Funky
  • Current Streak: 2 Losses
  • Last Fight: October 26, 2019 in UFC
  • Weight Class: Welterweight | Last Weigh-In: 171.0 lbs
  • Affiliation: Roufusport MMA Academy
  • Height: 5'11" (181cm) | Reach: 71.0" (180cm)
  • Career Disclosed Earnings: $1,160,000 USD
  • Born: Cedar Rapids, Iowa
  • Fighting out of: Hartland, Wisconsin, United States
  • College: University of Missouri
  • Foundation Style: Wrestling
  • Head Coach: Duke Roufus
  • Other Coaches: N/A
  • Fighter Links:
  • Personal Links:

Responses Page 2

Live2wrestle
Live2wrestle
  • Predictions:  22,473  |  63.5%
  • Forum Posts:  11,857
  • Post Score: 236

12.12.2013 | 2:02 PM ET

Just because they aren't UFC level doesnt make them not legit, do you really think every WW in the UFC is actually a UFC caliber fighter or that the UFC has every good WW? Not being known by fans makes them not legit? I think you are giving too much credit to fans there.

Lima beat current UFC fighter Clint Hester and the current WSOF champ which is where people were dying for Askren to go. Before losing to Ben he was on a 9 fight win streak and looked dominant and even beat former UFC fighters. 

Koreshkov had dominated very solid fighters before Ben absolutely clowned him.

He beat Hornbuckle who also beat the current WSOF champ and was widely considered as a top 5 best WW outside the UFC.

Saying he hasnt beaten legit competition is ludicrous and quite frankly wrong

* Edited at 12.12.2013, 2:03 PM ET *

"She be curvin all the locals, must like foreigns and this is when I had the Martin, I was just like Lawrence so wassup"

yossgold
yossgold
  • Predictions:  67,502  |  62.2%
  • Forum Posts:  14,550
  • Post Score: 295

12.12.2013 | 2:18 PM ET

@Live, I don't think with Askren it's about UFC-level or not, I think it's about this "ranked 6th in the world" he keeps talking about. He's beat formidable opposition, but who of them actually puts him in the top 10? And from Dana's POV, who of them mandates a top 10 payroll?

So "legit competition" in Askren's case is a different kind of legit.

That said, what Dana said is ********, Askren isn't in the UFC solely due to him not being exciting enough so that Dana can use him to try a prove a point with, both showing he won't take "Bellator rejects" and maybe even pushing good prospects that want to fight in the UFC in the future to other organizations. If Askren was more exciting he'd be signed with Eddie Alvarez money in a heartbeat.

But due to Askren not being a fighter Dana "has to have and now" he can stick into the mind of a given talented young fighter that a) Bellator will give him a hard time if/when he gets the call and b) that just being in Bellator for a while could seriously hurt his chances to get in the UFC and you can bet you bottom dollar he's going to LFC/WSOF/OneFC/my back yard before he's fighting for Bellator (at least in Dana's perfect world scenario, that is).

* Edited at 12.12.2013, 2:23 PM ET *

"Hay lohh you Mike, ay lov you Mike. Hyou say somesing like di fo me, and naw I say you ... I LOV YOU! See you som. Boy." -- Yoel Romero, UFC 205

Franklin880088
Franklin880088
  • Predictions:  1,570  |  59.7%
  • Forum Posts:  3,452
  • Post Score: 120

12.12.2013 | 2:28 PM ET

@Yossgold

You got it right on the mark and I completely agree and that was what I was trying to get at. Really out side Jay none of the competition he beaten would likely be able to have extended stays in the UFC, yet people rank Askren in the top 10.

* Edited at 12.12.2013, 2:28 PM ET *

"here I come to save the day"

Page 2

You must be signed in to reply. Sign in or register to join the discussion.

As an anonymous reader, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

• MMA Mania : Gaethje Didn’t Realize ‘How Much Danger I Was In’ Against Holloway
  • MMA Junkie : UFC returns to Manchester for UFC 304 on July 27
  • MMAFighting.com : UFC 304 announced for Manchester this summer
  • MMAFighting.com : Morning Report: Ryan Garcia admits health concerns were all an act: ‘I was not gonna budge for nobody’
  • MMA Mania : Barber Was Ready To ‘Lay This Lady Out’ In Viral Video
  • MMA Junkie : Video: 'UFC on ESPN 55: Nicolau vs. Perez' media day live stream (2:45 p.m. ET)
  • UFC.com : UFC Makes Highly Anticipated Return To Manchester On July 27 With UFC 304
  • Middle Easy : ‘MMA Media Hates Me,’ Ronda Rousey Reacts To Career Backlash & ‘How Happily Everybody Turned’ On UFC Star
  • MMA Mania : Midnight Mania: It PAYS To Be King
  • Middle Easy : Ryan Garcia Reveals His ‘Crazy’ Behavior Was a Publicity Stunt Planned Months in Advance
  • MMA Mania : ‘99.9%’ Chance Edwards Vs. Muhammad 2 Happens At UFC 304
  • MMA Junkie : The 10 largest UFC attendances in history
  • MMA Mania : ‘MMA Media Hates Me, It’s Fine’
  • Middle Easy : Jiri Prochazka Doubles Down On Callout For Alex Pereira Rematch At UFC 301: ‘I Think I Deserve It’
  • Middle Easy : Ryan Garcia Goes Off On Logan Paul For Child Trafficking Comments, Claims He Will ‘Destroy’ Paul In Boxing Match
  • MMA Junkie : Max Holloway's coach breaks down matchup against 'oversized bantamweight' Ilia Topuria
  • MMAFighting.com : Lyoto Machida ‘already breathing fire’ after Luke Rockhold callout, interested in Karate Combat rematch
  • MMA Mania : ‘It’s Crazy That Something Like This Is Happening At This Level’
  • MMA Junkie : Islam Makhachev's coach: 'Biggest threat' Justin Gaethje no longer in UFC title picture
  • Bad Left Hook : ‘Whoever wants to fight Ryan, he feels comfortable at 144’: De La Hoya talks next steps for Garcia