Topic: Rua vs. Sonnen

Rua vs. Sonnen

Anonymous Mode

You are not logged in to Tapology. When browsing anonymously, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

Oddsbot
Oddsbot
  • Predictions:  8,619  |  73.7%
  • Forum Posts:  17,552
  • Post Score: 60

06.04.2013 | 12:10 AM ET

Prediction: wrong Rua   wrong Decision  

This is the official discussion thread for Rua vs. Sonnen. Let's see what you've got.

"This is the droid you're looking for."

Responses Page 4

MikeLovesTacos XD
MikeLovesTacos XD
  • Predictions:  30,350  |  59.3%
  • Forum Posts:  22,487
  • Post Score: 203

07.02.2013 | 6:56 AM ET

Prediction: wrong Rua   wrong KO/TKO   wrong Round 1  

Bisping beat Sonnen.

"Why are you booing me? I am the GOAT. **** you." - Patricio "Pitbull" Freire

Franklin880088
Franklin880088
  • Predictions:  1,570  |  59.7%
  • Forum Posts:  3,452
  • Post Score: 120

07.02.2013 | 8:25 AM ET

Prediction: wrong Rua   wrong KO/TKO   wrong Round 4  

@idrownfish

You crack me up. First you state Chael had endless cardio at middle weight which is just redciulous. He has gassed numerous times at middle weight which is why he been subbed so many dam times. He gassed hard against bispen. Hell even in his victory against Nate M he was gassing. Think you need to take a long hard look at chael stamina because it not remotely on the level you are suggesting.  Also find it funny you bring up Shogun in the Coleman fight as if that is some norm for Shogun. Shogun had a bum knee and did not put ina  full camp at all. He was completely out of shape.

"here I come to save the day"

Idrownfish
Idrownfish
  • Predictions:  1,759  |  66.3%
  • Forum Posts:  1,407
  • Post Score: 241

07.02.2013 | 10:44 AM ET

Prediction: correct Sonnen   correct Submission   wrong Round 5  

He most definitely did overpower Bisping. Really, I felt that Bisping's gameplan was a lot better than chael's, but that didn't prevent him from being bullied during the entirety of the third round.

Also, for people thinking that he lost the fight: you had two rounds that could have gone either way and a dominant final round for Sonnen, no judge would score it 29/28 for Bisping in that situation.

Hell, I don't even think Bisping won the first two rounds...

"Let's just say if we fought again I wouldn't need to keep my hands up." - Luke Rockhold on Michael Bisping's punching power

amp112
amp112
  • Predictions:  37,156  |  62.2%
  • Forum Posts:  5,588
  • Post Score: 208

07.02.2013 | 11:52 AM ET

Prediction: wrong Rua   wrong KO/TKO   wrong Round 2  

Overpower? Definitely not. They pretty much fought to a stalemate. I've watched that fight 3 times and I've changed my opinion each time. It was close, a draw wouldn't be out of the question.
Idrownfish
Idrownfish

07.02.2013 | 12:16 PM ET

Well, yes. A draw would be the fairest outcome, but for some reason judges don't like draws...

Why is that, by the way? Wouldn't it be amazing if we saw one or two draws every night?

"Let's just say if we fought again I wouldn't need to keep my hands up." - Luke Rockhold on Michael Bisping's punching power

amp112
amp112

07.02.2013 | 1:31 PM ET

It's not so much that judges are reluctant to give draws, it's more that they are reluctant to give a 10-10 round. That's where you get your draws.
I'll be honest. There are some fights, like Edgar/Maynard II where I wanted a winner no matter who it was. In my mind, both fighters fought their heart out, someone should have come out the winner. They should add a 6th round for draws in title fights

I think a draw should be given in either a fight that no one did particularly well in (ie: Browne/Kongo) or in a fight like McCall/Johnson I where you have a sudden death round. 

Idrownfish
Idrownfish

07.02.2013 | 2:22 PM ET

As a soccer fan when I am not rooting for a particular team and both teams do really well, fight until the end and are tired as hell by the time the clock runs out, I like it when it draws, like, why should one win and one lose when no team convinced anyone that they were better than the other? 

In my ideal world: four judges. 3/1 is a split decision, 2/2 is a draw. Make a sudden death fourth round for number 1 contender spot and prevent draws from happening at title shots at all costs (like having the winner as the one who landed more significant strikes). No one should have to fight for six rounds, that would be inhuman.

amp112
amp112

07.02.2013 | 3:45 PM ET

I think you still have to have an odd number of judges. Given the way some judges score fights, how much would it suck to get a draw instead of a win.

I'm not talking about fights that kinda suck though. I'm talking about absolute dog **** fights. Sometimes you see fights where they are trying, but they cancel each other out. Machida/Henderson comes to mind and I kind of want to put that Bisping/Sonnen fight in there too, because that fight was made on short notice.

But then when you have fights where neither guy is trying, then you have a problem.
Idrownfish
Idrownfish

07.02.2013 | 3:48 PM ET

If they cancel eachother out, why not a draw? 

You guys are talking about draws like it was a punishment, why?

* Edited at 07.02.2013, 3:48 PM ET *

Idrownfish
Idrownfish

07.02.2013 | 3:49 PM ET

I mean, Henderson didn't win that fight. Machida didn't win that fight. Why should Machida get the W and Henderson the L? I mean, if you can't convince three out of three judges, you weren't the winner. 

EDIT: In my opinion, a fourth judge would turn many split decisions into draws, and I think that is a good thing...

* Edited at 07.02.2013, 3:56 PM ET *

amp112
amp112

07.02.2013 | 5:59 PM ET

Too many draws would be a bad thing though. That would hold up all the contenders. Say Grant and Maynard fought to a draw. Now what? Melendez gets another go?

You have a good point about convincing 3 out of 3, but that's assuming all 3 are competent. For example, Sanchez somehow convinced 3 out of 3 judges that he beat Kampmann. Machida did that with Shogun.

While the Machida/Hendo fight was a snoozer, Machida still clearly won. It wasn't pretty, but you can't steal that victory away from him just because it was ugly. 

It's only punishment when they didn't deserve it.

* Edited at 07.02.2013, 6:03 PM ET *

ProdigyKid14
ProdigyKid14
  • Predictions:  8,848  |  62.4%
  • Forum Posts:  5,902
  • Post Score: 195

07.02.2013 | 6:49 PM ET

Prediction: correct Sonnen   wrong Decision  

MMA to me is way different than other team sports when it comes to draws...in sports like soccer, there's a game once a week, and in some instances it's not that bad if you play to a draw. In MMA, those guys train for three months leading up to a fight, so i'm sure having a bunch of draws would hold up divisions, and it's just not something everyone is going to want to see. I get the argument, but i don't think it works for MMA.

"I fight em all. Men, women, children, ******** people, it doesn't matter. If you hit me, we're gonna fight. -Charles Bennett"

Rakunio
Rakunio
  • Predictions:  223  |  54.7%
  • Forum Posts:  27
  • Post Score: 93

07.19.2013 | 10:48 AM ET

Not a good fight for Rua,Sonnen by decision
p4pgoat
p4pgoat
  • Predictions:  4,888  |  62.9%
  • Forum Posts:  3,908
  • Post Score: 143

07.19.2013 | 11:57 AM ET

We will find out how much better Chael's BJJ defense has gotten in this fight. Shogun will get put on his back but he's very good on the mat. Chael better watch out for Shogun's leg locks.

"We are all human, it's time to prove it."

amp112
amp112

07.19.2013 | 1:45 PM ET

I really want to pick Rua by SUB because he loves those heel hooks. Pretty sure he's attempted one in every recent fight except for the Vera fight.
legacyofmisfortune
legacyofmisfortune
  • Predictions:  14,159  |  63.5%
  • Forum Posts:  5,349
  • Post Score: 240

07.19.2013 | 3:35 PM ET

Prediction: wrong Rua   wrong KO/TKO   wrong Round 1  

with Rua on +125 odds I´m putting some money on this fight I wan tto see what Sonnen does with Rua´s legkicks and BJJ, but I have a feeling that Sonnen is getting KTFO

"he is going to the hospital, and im going to the after party, ha ha ha" Nate Diaz

amp112
amp112

07.19.2013 | 4:19 PM ET

Sonnen does have a really good chin. He was never really knocked out by Silva & Jones. He just didn't defend himself and the ref stopped it. I think I will might it. Or maybe put it as a DEC.
DelRose
DelRose

07.19.2013 | 4:21 PM ET

Difficult one. Rua has lost his fire. And Sonnen I'm sure is pretty desperate for a win. I'm gonna say Sonnen, by dominant unanimous decision.

"That hole is tighter than a nuns nasty"

blitzkrieg
blitzkrieg
  • Predictions:  4,528  |  61.0%
  • Forum Posts:  1,449
  • Post Score: 285

07.19.2013 | 5:47 PM ET

Rua is one of my top 3 favorite fighters ever, but I see this being a bad match up for him; his TDD is average and his cardio is even worse, with a world class fast-paced wrestler and grinder like Sonnen, he has only the first 2 minutes to KO him out or he's doomed to lay on his back for 25 minutes and lose a dominant decision.

"@AndySalasMMA"

amp112
amp112

07.19.2013 | 6:29 PM ET

One thing to take into mind when talking about Rua's TDD vs Chael's takedowns:

Chael's takedowns are mostly judged by his performance as a MW. Rua is a LHW. There's a size difference that Chael may not be used to. Rua is used to fighting bigger guys, Chael is used to fighting smaller fighters. That may be a factor.

Look at the guys who were able to take Rua down recently: Hendo, Jones, Gustafsson. All experienced wrestlers and/or larger fighters. Rua will have the size advantage here. He usually does pretty well when he is the bigger fighter.

Page 4

You must be signed in to reply. Sign in or register to join the discussion.

As an anonymous reader, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

• MMA Junkie : Video: UFC 301 'Countdown' for Alexandre Pantoja vs. Steve Erceg
  • Middle Easy : Colby Covington Doubts If Ian Garry Is ‘Serious’ About Fighting, Says He Has ‘Unfinished Business’ With Leon Edwards
  • MMA Junkie : Video: UFC 301 'Countdown' for Jose Aldo vs. Jonathan Martinez
  • Bad Left Hook : ‘I don’t know why the referee stopped the fight’: Diaz reacts to TKO loss to Duarte
  • MMA Mania : Kentucky Fried Erceg Prepared For Brazilian Bottle Bombs
  • MMA Junkie : Matchup Roundup: New UFC, PFL, Bellator fights announced in the past week (April 22-28)
  • MMAFighting.com : On To the Next One: Matches to make after UFC Vegas 91
  • MMA Mania : Watch ‘Countdown To UFC 301’ Video
  • MMA Junkie : UFC 301: How to watch Rio de Janeiro fight card, lineup, odds, preview videos, more
  • MMAFighting.com : Irish prospect Paul Hughes to co-headline Bellator Dublin
  • MMAFighting.com : Roundtable: What is the best UFC fight still to come in 2024?
  • MMA Mania : Masvidal Confirms $5 Mil Payday To Save UFC’s Fight Island Debut
  • MMA Mania : Masvidal Made $5 Mil To Save UFC’s Fight Island Debut
  • MMA Junkie : Paul Hughes vs. Bobby King co-headlines Bellator Champions Series: Dublin
  • Jits Magazine : New Wave Jiu-Jitsu Dominate In Enigma Invitational 15 Results
  • MMA Mania : Up Next! UFC Returns To PPV In Rio!
  • Jits Magazine : Gianni Grippo Promoted To Black Belt In Luta Livre
  • MMAFighting.com : Morning Report: Colby Covington noncommittal on ‘nobody’ Ian Machado Garry fight: ‘He has to show me he’s serious’
  • MMA Mania : Rogan: Topuria Turned Down Volk Rematch In Perth
  • MMA Mania : What’s Next For Matheus Nicolau?