Topic: Rua vs. Sonnen

Rua vs. Sonnen

Anonymous Mode

You are not logged in to Tapology. When browsing anonymously, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

Oddsbot
Oddsbot
  • Predictions:  8,619  |  73.7%
  • Forum Posts:  17,552
  • Post Score: 60

06.04.2013 | 12:10 AM ET

Prediction: wrong Rua   wrong Decision  

This is the official discussion thread for Rua vs. Sonnen. Let's see what you've got.

"This is the droid you're looking for."

Responses Page 3

SRAOnline
SRAOnline
  • Predictions:  9,854  |  60.3%
  • Forum Posts:  1,719
  • Post Score: 313

06.18.2013 | 6:43 PM ET

Prediction: wrong Rua   wrong KO/TKO   wrong Round 2  

"Not sure why so many people believe Sonnen will be the fresher fighter of the two in later rounds."

Because Shogun has become notorious for his ability to gas predictably. Chael pressured Silva for 5 rounds; we know he can last the distance.

"Pretend to be someone you're not once, and you're a liar. Do it every day, and you're a professional."

curtwag84
curtwag84
  • Predictions:  13,940  |  63.9%
  • Forum Posts:  5,695
  • Post Score: 273

06.18.2013 | 6:47 PM ET

Prediction: correct Sonnen   wrong Decision  

Watch Rua vs Henderson round 5 and Silva vs Sonnen rd 5 .  Pretty sure Sonnen has cardio won. This will be classic , can Rua crack Sonnen before Sonnen takes him down and wrestle ****s him.

"I'd like to take this chance, to appologize. To absolutely nobody. -Connor McGreGOAT"

Franklin880088
Franklin880088
  • Predictions:  1,570  |  59.7%
  • Forum Posts:  3,452
  • Post Score: 120

06.18.2013 | 7:11 PM ET

Prediction: wrong Rua   wrong KO/TKO   wrong Round 4  

So predictable. I new people would base sonnen having superior stamina off a single fight with Anderson. Except both you Curtwag84 and SRAOnline both fail to realize he had 17 times the testerone of a normal male. That why he was able to keep the pace he set in the Silva fight. When he was not amping his level to 17 times the normal male, he gassed within two rounds again Bispen. Or did you both forget that fight? Or how about the second Anderson fight were Sonnen started gassing after one round? To the point both Silva and his corner mention the fact Sonnen was already slowing down. Out side of the Anderson fight in which Sonnen cheated by an ungodly amount by amping him self by 17 times the normal male testerone, Sonnen stamina has been nothing to talk home about in years.  While Shogun in the Henderson fight and Vera fight was doing better in later rounds. So yes again I question why you think Sonnen has the stamina edge, when siting a match in which he was cheating extremely badly which is why he was able to keep that pace. Which he has yet to be able to replicate when having normal levels of testerone. 

* Edited at 06.18.2013, 7:14 PM ET *

"here I come to save the day"

Franklin880088
Franklin880088
  • Predictions:  1,570  |  59.7%
  • Forum Posts:  3,452
  • Post Score: 120

06.18.2013 | 7:19 PM ET

Prediction: wrong Rua   wrong KO/TKO   wrong Round 4  

I honestly do not understand how people bring up the Silva fight as evdience for Chael cardio while completely ignoring the fact that he had 17 times the normal male testerone. Even if cheal had won the fight he never would have gotten the belt because of how badly he cheated. Even Overreem who got tested randomly at a press conference was significantly lower levels that Sonnen had a friggin fight night against Silva. I mean how on earth do people not acknowledge this? For all you down arrowing me,do you guys not understand how using that fight as a basis for Sonnen stamina is utterly ridiculous? No UFC fighter has been caught with remotely close to as high levels as Sonnen had in his first fight with Anderson. When friggin sherk got caught he had only 4 times the normal males level. Soneen had 17.  That multiple times the levels Sherk had.

* Edited at 06.18.2013, 7:23 PM ET *

"here I come to save the day"

SRAOnline
SRAOnline
  • Predictions:  9,854  |  60.3%
  • Forum Posts:  1,719
  • Post Score: 313

06.18.2013 | 7:28 PM ET

Still doesn't change the fact that Shogun has god awful cardio.

"Pretend to be someone you're not once, and you're a liar. Do it every day, and you're a professional."

Gebe
Gebe
  • Predictions:  2,174  |  62.0%
  • Forum Posts:  1,292
  • Post Score: 198

06.19.2013 | 6:59 AM ET

If Sonnen will push the pase cntinously troughout the whole bout, it's going to be a long hard night for shogun.
I still have a feeling he can KO Chael... we'll see

"Fighter by day, Lover by night"

mikeyg
mikeyg
  • Predictions:  7,871  |  66.6%
  • Forum Posts:  6,232
  • Post Score: 113

06.21.2013 | 12:27 AM ET

I like Shogun here. Stylistically I think it favors him with his good sweeping and remember he's Brazilian and has a BJJ black belt and dangerous striking, already Sonnen's kryptonite, uh ohh
This user is suspended from posting until 4 years, 3 months, 1 week, 13 hours, and 44 minutes from now.
AllHailKrull
AllHailKrull
  • Predictions:  1,522  |  61.1%
  • Forum Posts:  1,672
  • Post Score: 180

06.21.2013 | 12:57 AM ET

If Shogun tags Sonnen then he'll fold like origami. Sonnen has balls of steel but no heart.

"People say ‘oh, so you should retire.’ Yeah, you want me to retire so you won’t get knocked out. - Vitor Belfort"

legacyofmisfortune
legacyofmisfortune
  • Predictions:  14,159  |  63.5%
  • Forum Posts:  5,349
  • Post Score: 240

06.21.2013 | 3:21 PM ET

Prediction: wrong Rua   wrong KO/TKO   wrong Round 1  

@Franlink I wonder the same thing, when anyone brings up the 1s Silva vs Sonnen fight. it´s like they refuse to aknowladge that Sonnen cheated and after watching the 2nd fight it was so ******* obvious that he was able to do what he did on the 1st fight  because of the extra juice on his body.

"he is going to the hospital, and im going to the after party, ha ha ha" Nate Diaz

ja3074
ja3074
  • Predictions:  2,772  |  60.2%
  • Forum Posts:  121
  • Post Score: 199

06.21.2013 | 4:04 PM ET

I see you are a fan of Jessica Nigri lol @ legacyofmisfortune 

"to live is to suffer to survive is to find meaning in the suffering"

legacyofmisfortune
legacyofmisfortune

06.21.2013 | 4:32 PM ET

yeah! I´m a fan of futurama too bender is the best

"he is going to the hospital, and im going to the after party, ha ha ha" Nate Diaz

Idrownfish
Idrownfish
  • Predictions:  1,759  |  66.3%
  • Forum Posts:  1,407
  • Post Score: 241

07.01.2013 | 4:55 PM ET

Prediction: correct Sonnen   correct Submission   wrong Round 5  

Betting odds released on http://www.fightbetnetwork.com/odds/UFC-FS-1-1

Predictably, its basically a "pick'em" situation with Sonnen being a slight favorite.

"Let's just say if we fought again I wouldn't need to keep my hands up." - Luke Rockhold on Michael Bisping's punching power

amp112
amp112
  • Predictions:  37,156  |  62.2%
  • Forum Posts:  5,588
  • Post Score: 208

07.01.2013 | 6:06 PM ET

Interesting. Wasn't expecting Sonnen to be the favorite.
WishIsHere
WishIsHere
  • Predictions:  24,429  |  64.4%
  • Forum Posts:  7,003
  • Post Score: 232

07.01.2013 | 6:21 PM ET

Sonnen just got married, so he will be preoccupied with other things. Rua gonna Rua.

"I bought a Bruno mars cd once - gunn4206"

Idrownfish
Idrownfish

07.01.2013 | 11:56 PM ET

Well, after every fight where Shogun loses there is a fight where he KO's his opponent in Round 1...

But I think that is his chance. Rua's cardio has always been pretty bad, and MW Chael had an endless gas tank. Imagine with a smaller weight cut. 

EDIT: I might edit my pick into a TKO favoring Rua, a submission by Chael and a decision by chael several times over the next month. Right now, I think that Chael's freakish strength and pressure will be too much for Shogun to handle.

* Edited at 07.01.2013, 11:58 PM ET *

"Let's just say if we fought again I wouldn't need to keep my hands up." - Luke Rockhold on Michael Bisping's punching power

legacyofmisfortune
legacyofmisfortune

07.02.2013 | 12:25 AM ET

Sonnen by sub against Rua?  how?

your pick aside I don't get your logic:and MW  Chael had an endless gas tank. Imagine with a smaller weight cut.  

weight cut doesn't drain all fighters it affects some but not everybody otherwise they wouldn't do it if they are not going to fight at their 100%, but even if itdoes affects Sonnen, and he won't have to cut weight this time, he will be carrying more body weight than what he is used to, hence he will be slower and his gas tank will not last him as long as he is used to, on the other hand, Rua doesn't have good cardio but he is used to fight at that weight class, and he already knows how long his gas tank will last and will fight acordingly. Sonnen will fight a bigger stronger opponent of what he is used to so is more likley that he will get tired sooner or that he won't be able to use his wrestling as good as he usually does.

Idrownfish
Idrownfish

07.02.2013 | 1:40 AM ET

I don't know, arm triangle? If at round 3 Rua is as gassed as in his knockout of Mark Coleman, Sonnen will sub him regardless of JJ experience.

By the way, one thing people often don't mention about Sonnen is his strength... I mean, is it me or he overpowered everyone he fought against in the MW division? Even when he lost, he always seemed to have the strength advantage...

TraeBlack
TraeBlack
  • Predictions:  20,832  |  60.3%
  • Forum Posts:  8,700
  • Post Score: 173

07.02.2013 | 1:54 AM ET

Not with Maia, he got rag dolled, and tapped with mininal effort. He over powers people that dont have good defensive wrestling.....

"3HUNNA"

MetsJets51211
MetsJets51211
  • Predictions:  2,794  |  64.4%
  • Forum Posts:  49
  • Post Score: 116

07.02.2013 | 2:10 AM ET

Never seen so much Hendo hate lol. 

"Train by day, Joe Rogan Podcast all night, ALL DAY!"

legacyofmisfortune
legacyofmisfortune

07.02.2013 | 5:44 AM ET

I  agree with Trae, he didn't overpowered Bisping  imo Sonnen lost that fight, and he didn't overpowered Silva either, people tend to forget he had like 17 times the normal testosterone during the first fight and he got crushed in the second.

Page 3

You must be signed in to reply. Sign in or register to join the discussion.

As an anonymous reader, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

• MMA Mania : Masvidal Made $5 Mil To Save UFC’s Fight Island Debut
  • MMA Junkie : Paul Hughes vs. Bobby King co-headlines Bellator Champions Series: Dublin
  • Jits Magazine : New Wave Jiu-Jitsu Dominate In Enigma Invitational 15 Results
  • MMA Mania : Rogan: Topuria Turned Down Volk Rematch In Perth
  • MMA Mania : What’s Next For Matheus Nicolau?
  • Jits Magazine : IBJJF Brazilian National Championship (Brasileiro) 2024 Full Results And Review
  • MMA Mania : Borralho Vs. Craig Betting Odds, Breakdown, Prediction
  • MMA Mania : Inspirational Pereira ‘Not Worried’ About Legacy Talk
  • MMA Mania : White ‘Probably A Little Mad’ About McGregor BKFC Deal
  • MMAFighting.com : Jairzinho Rozenstruik plans to reconnect with ‘my real power source’ in Suriname, return against a top heavyweight
  • MMA Junkie : Karine Silva will keep 'unreachable' callout secret for one more fight after UFC on ESPN 55
  • MMA Mania : Matches To Make After UFC Vegas 91
  • MMA Mania : Matches To Maker After UFC Vegas 91
  • MMA Junkie : Ketlen Souza unwilling to take breaks after scoring first octagon win at UFC on ESPN 55
  • MMAFighting.com : Bogdan Guskov promises to keep delivering exciting fights after UFC Vegas 91 win: ‘I love blood’
  • MMA Junkie : UFC on ESPN 55 winner Maheshate felt 'extra burden' after consecutive losses
  • MMA Mania : Covington On ‘Nobody’ Garry: ‘He’s Not Serious’
  • MMAFighting.com : Bryan Barberena announces UFC exit, calls for ‘real brawler’ BKFC battle with Mike Perry
  • MMA Junkie : Austin Hubbard admits he was 'super nervous, stressed out' before UFC on ESPN 55 win
  • MMA Junkie : Charly Arnolt details historic impromptu UFC cage announcer role: 'I was scared of messing up'