Topic: dos Santos vs. Hunt

Dos Santos vs. Hunt

Anonymous Mode

You are not logged in to Tapology. When browsing anonymously, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

Oddsbot
Oddsbot
  • Predictions:  8,768  |  73.9%
  • Forum Posts:  17,644
  • Post Score: 60

03.09.2013 | 1:25 PM ET

Prediction: correct dos Santos   wrong Decision  

This is the official discussion thread for Dos Santos vs. Hunt. Let's see what you've got.

"This is the droid you're looking for."

Responses Page 4

edwinx1903
edwinx1903
  • Predictions:  1,280  |  60.3%
  • Forum Posts:  3,039
  • Post Score: 245

05.04.2013 | 2:07 PM ET

Only people who've never seen the fight would think Hunt's chin is weak.

Melvin caught Hunt charging in and he threw a straight right that caught Hunt flush on the chin. I'm sure that punch would've KO'd any other fighter.

Hunt has one of the best chins in MMA and there's no shame in getting KO'd that one time by Melvin.

Carwin is the only other fighter who I can think of that hits harder than Melvin.

* Edited at 05.04.2013, 2:08 PM ET *

TheTnuggs
TheTnuggs
  • Predictions:  2,963  |  63.5%
  • Forum Posts:  667
  • Post Score: 197

05.04.2013 | 2:19 PM ET

Prediction: wrong Hunt   wrong KO/TKO   wrong Round 3  

We should make a list of HWs that don't hit as hard as melvin lol

"As swift as wind, as silent as forest, as fierce as fire, as unshakeable as mountain"

jaffacakehero
jaffacakehero
  • Predictions:  5,066  |  62.0%
  • Forum Posts:  5,396
  • Post Score: 240

05.04.2013 | 2:27 PM ET

Prediction: correct dos Santos   wrong Submission   wrong Round 1  

@grizzly Watch the fight again. If you look at it very closely it looks like Hunt smashes straight down onto Melvin's cup as he's falling. If it was a Thai steel cup which it probably was then you'd have to think that would have been a big factor in Hunt getting completely knocked out. Although Melvin would have probably finished up with GnP regardless, it's still interesting to look at. 

"If you're matched up against me, you better be prepared to give your life...because I am prepared to take it. - Conor McGregor"

joe kerr
joe kerr
  • Predictions:  244,802  |  68.9%
  • Forum Posts:  4,850
  • Post Score: 267

05.04.2013 | 2:40 PM ET

It's also important to note that Hunt literally ran face first into Melvin's fist.

"If the enemy rejects the ground, I would take him down by tackle. Why didn’t he [Royler] do so? May I introduce him to a good coach? His tackle was... like a girl’s one... Mr. Royler, how are you feeling?" - Kazushi Sakuraba

DelRose
DelRose

05.04.2013 | 3:19 PM ET

Prediction: correct dos Santos   correct KO/TKO   wrong Round 1  

No doubt Hunt is going to give JDS a run for his money. But Junior all the way,

"That hole is tighter than a nuns nasty"

hdmexiqtioner
hdmexiqtioner
  • Predictions:  9,964  |  57.9%
  • Forum Posts:  5,398
  • Post Score: 283

05.04.2013 | 4:25 PM ET

Prediction: wrong Hunt   wrong KO/TKO   wrong Round 2  

A true slobber knocker for sure. going to be a bad ass fight.

"Don't argue with an idiot, they will bring you down to their level and beat you with experience." - Bark Twain

elementdefeat
elementdefeat
  • Predictions:  128  |  64.8%
  • Forum Posts:  197
  • Post Score: -91

05.04.2013 | 8:37 PM ET

Prediction: correct dos Santos   correct KO/TKO   wrong Round 2  

I believe the JDS vs Hunt fight is going to come down to who has the better conditioning. I think its pretty even in the striking department and Hunt could very well pull it off.

* Edited at 05.04.2013, 9:33 PM ET *

"i train ufc and im a handfull for anyone"

jaykool777
jaykool777
  • Predictions:  25,528  |  61.6%
  • Forum Posts:  3,654
  • Post Score: 158

05.05.2013 | 11:36 AM ET

Mark Hunt vs. JDS is a fight that I have wanted to see since it was announced that Hunt was coming to the UFC. One thing is for certain on this fight, it's not going to the ground. This is going to be a stand-up, slobber-knocking war that could very well be the equivalent of Chuck/Wandy, Hendo/Shogun, and Griffin/Bonnar.

What makes this fight really tough for me to pick is that I'm a huge fan of both fighters, both fighters are capable of ending fights with one punch, and both fighters want a shot at the winner of Cain/Bigfoot II. I even try to break the fight down, look at past performances, and holes in both fighters' game vs. how that plays into the strength of his opponent.

There's 4 possible scenarios that come to mind.

1. JDS' mobility, speed, and accuracy throw Hunt completely off any gameplan that he has, the fight pretty much mirrors JDS vs. Nelson/Carwin. Hunt puts up a good fight, but is unable to land anything truly significant, and JDS walks away with a UD.

2. It starts out like scenario #1, but towards the end of the 2nd round or in the middle of the 3rd Hunt finds a last burst of energy and lands some powerful shots that finish JDS (much like how Hunt defeated Stefan Struve).

3. Hunt dominates on the feet, so JDS utilizes his ground game, and we see JDS first submission in the UFC octagon.

4. It's a slobber knocker from start to finish, and the one fighter lands that flush shot that ends the fight in the first round by some great KO of the century. Something like Mark Hunt comes out reckless like he did against Melvin Manhoef, and gets KO'd inside the first minute, or JDS gets a little too ****y like he's not going to put away, and gets caught by Mark Hunt right on the button, and we see JDS finished by KO for the first time in his career.  

"Keep it punk rock!!!!"

bman518
bman518
  • Predictions:  23,181  |  63.5%
  • Forum Posts:  1,763
  • Post Score: 185

05.05.2013 | 11:51 AM ET

I see the standup being even but I think JDS will repeatedly take down Hunt and win a UD.

"Check yourself before you wreck yourself."

2kTweeK
2kTweeK
  • Predictions:  6,520  |  62.9%
  • Forum Posts:  1,103
  • Post Score: 141

05.05.2013 | 3:09 PM ET

Prediction: correct dos Santos   correct KO/TKO   wrong Round 2  

i hope lots of people bet on Hunt to win then i can earn some easy money
MikeLovesTacos XD
MikeLovesTacos XD
  • Predictions:  30,422  |  59.3%
  • Forum Posts:  22,488
  • Post Score: 203

05.05.2013 | 3:10 PM ET

I'm picking Dos Santos .. but I hope Hunt wins. 

"Why are you booing me? I am the GOAT. **** you." - Patricio "Pitbull" Freire

Derp
Derp
  • Predictions:  3,270  |  60.7%
  • Forum Posts:  447
  • Post Score: 216

05.05.2013 | 7:10 PM ET

Was watching some UFC preview for this fight, and JDS was primarily talking about BJJ and grappling since Hunt is a good striker. Solidifies my pick of JDS by decision, but I really, really want Hunt to KO him.
amp112
amp112
  • Predictions:  37,156  |  62.2%
  • Forum Posts:  5,588
  • Post Score: 208

05.05.2013 | 10:40 PM ET

JDS isn't gonna knock Hunt out. Not doubting that he can, but it's highly unlikely. But how cool would it be if he submitted him? I want to see this ground game that his training partners speak highly of.
MMATycoon
MMATycoon
  • Predictions:  7,154  |  62.5%
  • Forum Posts:  887
  • Post Score: 227

05.06.2013 | 12:42 PM ET

@amp112, I think he could get a TKO victory but I agree he won't get a typical lights out KO. I also wanted to see his ground game, I heard it's pretty decent. Just bleed fans don't want though, I've seen multiple posts about how they want this to be a literal standup bloody war.

"www.mmatycoon.com"

amp112
amp112
  • Predictions:  37,156  |  62.2%
  • Forum Posts:  5,588
  • Post Score: 208

05.06.2013 | 4:14 PM ET

If JDS couldn't knock out Roy Nelson with those bombs he was throwing, he probably won't knock out Hunt. That's no slight at JDS. That's just how good these guys' chins are.
curtwag84
curtwag84
  • Predictions:  13,940  |  63.9%
  • Forum Posts:  5,695
  • Post Score: 273

05.06.2013 | 4:57 PM ET

I dont see either guy getting KOed . So Im picking JDS via cardio. As much as I would love to see Hunt win , I dont want to see someone with Hunts ground game fight Cain.

"I'd like to take this chance, to appologize. To absolutely nobody. -Connor McGreGOAT"

jaffacakehero
jaffacakehero
  • Predictions:  5,066  |  62.0%
  • Forum Posts:  5,396
  • Post Score: 240

05.06.2013 | 5:20 PM ET

Prediction: correct dos Santos   wrong Submission   wrong Round 1  

Yeah I agree.. Once Hunto initiated Abu Dhabi mode against Cain then it wouldn't even be a fair fight..

"If you're matched up against me, you better be prepared to give your life...because I am prepared to take it. - Conor McGregor"

Derp
Derp
  • Predictions:  3,270  |  60.7%
  • Forum Posts:  447
  • Post Score: 216

05.06.2013 | 5:21 PM ET

I think Hunt has a better chance of knocking out Cain than knocking out JDS because JDS has the better chin, but Cain/Hunt would probably look like Cain/Bigfoot 1 with Cain's wrestling.

* Edited at 05.06.2013, 5:25 PM ET *

AllHailKrull
AllHailKrull
  • Predictions:  1,522  |  61.1%
  • Forum Posts:  1,672
  • Post Score: 180

05.06.2013 | 9:33 PM ET

Prediction: wrong Hunt   wrong KO/TKO   wrong Round 1  

Cain gets rocked by a striker in Kongo and TKO'd by JDS from a wild haymaker behind the ear: Cain's chin is suspect. 

JDS gets dropped and rocked by a wrestler: JDS' chin is great.

"People say ‘oh, so you should retire.’ Yeah, you want me to retire so you won’t get knocked out. - Vitor Belfort"

Brazilian Jitz
Brazilian Jitz
  • Predictions:  3,516  |  61.3%
  • Forum Posts:  6,816
  • Post Score: 211

05.06.2013 | 9:37 PM ET

Prediction: correct dos Santos   correct KO/TKO   wrong Round 1  

Not like Cain has ever knocked anyone out. Right Krull?

"Albert Fish... I mean that guy was a real jerk!"

Page 4

You must be signed in to reply. Sign in or register to join the discussion.

As an anonymous reader, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

• Jits Magazine : The History And Significance Of The ADCC Submission Fighting World Championship
  • UFC.com : UFC Announces Multi-Year Partnership With PCYC NSW
  • MMA Mania : Midnight Mania! ‘King’ Of The Jungle?
  • MMA Mania : ‘Put That Whiskey Bottle Down!’ Usman Fires Back At McGregor
  • Middle Easy : Ben Askren Claims Conor McGregor’s ‘Jealous’ Of UFC Rival Khabib: ‘No Money Can Make Up For That’
  • MMA Mania : ‘I Would Be Upset!’ Topuria ‘Too Short’ To Headline Over O’Malley
  • MMA Junkie : USA TODAY Sports/MMA Junkie rankings, May 21: Patchy Mix, Lerone Murphy move up
  • MMA Junkie : Anthony Smith: Islam Makhachev vs. Dustin Poirier 'much closer than a lot of people are giving it credit for'
  • MMA Mania : MMA Prospect Watch: Meet ‘The Punjabi Prince’
  • Middle Easy : Conor McGregor is ‘Cold in the Soul’ for Michael Chandler, Plans to Fight Three Times in 2024
  • Middle Easy : Exclusive: Curtis Blaydes On Tom Aspinall, Alex Pereira, Was Ciryl Gane A Go For UFC 304?
  • MMAFighting.com : UFC Vegas 93 card official with 13 bouts
  • Bad Left Hook : PODCAST: Usyk is undisputed, Taylor vs Catterall 2, Canelo’s next fight
  • MMA Junkie : Belal Muhammad explains why he doesn't like 'piece of trash' Sean Strickland
  • MMA Mania : ‘Piece Of Trash’ Strickland Is ‘All Talk’
  • Middle Easy : Dustin Poirier Ready to Knock Islam Makhachev Unconscious at UFC 302: ‘The Ref’s Going to Be Pulling Me Off Him’
  • Middle Easy : Husband and Coach of UFC Fighter Hailey Cowan Arrested, Accused of Sexually Assaulting Minor ‘Hundreds of Times’
  • MMA Junkie : Tom Aspinall says next fight after Curtis Blaydes has to be for undisputed belt: 'I'll wait it out if I have to'
  • MMAFighting.com : Dustin Poirier makes bold prediction for Islam Makhachev fight at UFC 302
  • MMA Mania : McGregor Labels ‘Little R—ard’ Topuria ‘A Non-Champion’