Topic: Off Topic

Slow Day in MMA News, Lets Talk about US!

Anonymous Mode

You are not logged in to Tapology. When browsing anonymously, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

Kalibo
Kalibo
  • Predictions:  33,130  |  62.8%
  • Forum Posts:  16,800
  • Post Score: 185

04.13.2011 | 11:49 AM ET

Since it's a slow day in the world of MMA, I thought it would be cool to talk about Tapology and ourselves.. anything at all regarding the same.  I'll get a brief start going..

I live in PA, am 30 and have been a fan of MMA since I was a teenager.  Work for the railroad and rarely ever miss an event regardless of promotion/stature.  I like Tapology b/c of the environment it fosters.  I wish we could edit/delete our posts... maybe have categories of threads for the forums, but all in all, I appreciate the type of place this is thus far. 

"All men can see these tactics whereby I conquer, but what none can see is the strategy out of which victory is evolved" – Sun Tzu, "The Art of War"

Responses Page 24

caymanfighter
caymanfighter
  • Predictions:  43  |  55.8%
  • Forum Posts:  54
  • Post Score: 80

05.06.2011 | 2:16 PM ET

@gregory and @jeremy thank you guys so much for starting this site. I'm a fan/fighter and this is the first forum site I have ever signed up for. I have scrolled through the others and been turned off by all of the nonsense coming from typical fan boys who have no clue what sacrifice some of the fighters and others involved in MMA make. Amazingly this site was created on my birthday I just find that as the craziest coincidence! I'm 24 years old from the Cayman Islands. I saw UFC 1 as a 8yr old kid by total accident as it was on a VHS of a WWF PPV. I was a big WWF fan and was convinced that was real fighting until I let that one VHS run a bit too long and I caught my first glimpse of what was to become my passion. After that I hunted everywhere for new UFC material. I found pieces here and there but being from an island in the middle of the Caribbean asking people about the UFC often just got me puzzled looks. Finally with high speed internet I was able to find scraps of footage here and there. I trained in all the martial arts I could find until one day in 2006 when the first MMA gym opened down here. I thought I was good enough to hang with MMA guys but I was so wrong. I got tapped so much! I was instantly hooked on competing. When I signed up for this site I became instantly addicted as well! However I have been absent from the forums over the last 3 months because I was preparing for the Grapplers Quest at the UFC Fan Expo in Toronto. It was complete torture getting ready but all worth it as I was the first of my nationality to bring back a gold medal. @jeremy I'm so stoked that you train at RGA! My coach also trained there before moving to Cayman about 15 mnths ago. Bulgarian UFC vet Jordan Radev, did you get to train with him while he was there? He is an amazing wrestler/grappler and has really upped the level of the guys competing in MMA down here. I'm looking forward to fighting at the end of May if the promoters can find me an opponent, I'll be trying my best to keep up with Tapology and training camp because it feels like I missed so much from the forums in the last few weeks. Thanks again guys for an amazing site!
Gregory
Gregory
  • Predictions:  6,817  |  63.3%
  • Forum Posts:  18,565
  • Post Score: 275

05.06.2011 | 2:25 PM ET

Great story, Cayman. Going from getting tapped repeatedly to winning your division at Grappler's Quest.

"I live, I die, I live again."

jeremy
jeremy
  • Predictions:  1,062  |  63.0%
  • Forum Posts:  819
  • Post Score: 168

05.06.2011 | 2:48 PM ET

@cayman that IS a great story. congratulations on Grappler's Quest! I don't know Jordan personally -- there are so many guys at RGA it's easy to get mixed in with everybody. But I'll keep my eye out for him in case he ever comes back!

crazy the site is hitting 7 months old in a few days.  it's both a long time, and yet brand new compared to so many others that have been around for years.  we're gonna just keep working at it, makin' it smooth like butter.

"Damn right I like the life I live / Cause I went from negative to positive."

Piercerdan
Piercerdan
  • Predictions:  22,719  |  61.1%
  • Forum Posts:  5,987
  • Post Score: 212

05.06.2011 | 5:11 PM ET

@kalibo i didnt recognize that song but i recognized the name of the band. what else did they do?

"Fact: knowledge or info based on real occurrences, opinion: a belief held with confidence not substantiated by proof."

Piercerdan
Piercerdan

05.06.2011 | 5:18 PM ET

7 months next itll be a year, then 2 then 5 and this site will be more popular than sherdog, hopefully maintaining the lack of overwhelming *********gery 

"Fact: knowledge or info based on real occurrences, opinion: a belief held with confidence not substantiated by proof."

Kalibo
Kalibo

05.06.2011 | 5:28 PM ET

@Cayman.. Thanks for sharing that man.  I know I'll follow you and your successes.

@Pierce.. They did Shimmer, Sunburn, Hands, a ton of songs.

"All men can see these tactics whereby I conquer, but what none can see is the strategy out of which victory is evolved" – Sun Tzu, "The Art of War"

Piercerdan
Piercerdan

05.06.2011 | 5:38 PM ET

shimmer sounds familiar

Piercerdan
Piercerdan

05.06.2011 | 5:39 PM ET

Went and looked shimmer up and i do remember that song but i was never a fan of them.

Kalibo
Kalibo

05.06.2011 | 6:06 PM ET

I loved them.  Back in the day when I was into that music, I loved Buck Cherry, Jimmy's Chicken Shack, Korn, Our Lady Peace, Black Lab, Staind, limp and all those bands.

Piercerdan
Piercerdan

05.06.2011 | 7:15 PM ET

korn is still in regular rotation on my ipod

Kalibo
Kalibo

05.06.2011 | 8:25 PM ET

I loved Korn.  I used to listen to it in my car to get fired up on my way to ... yeah.

Yaspaa
Yaspaa
  • Predictions:  173  |  73.4%
  • Forum Posts:  1,422
  • Post Score: 151

05.07.2011 | 6:42 AM ET

*********gery lol. 

"I Get Better."

Kalibo
Kalibo

05.07.2011 | 8:57 AM ET

@pierce.. I guess you didn't stay up to watch TP event?

Piercerdan
Piercerdan

05.07.2011 | 1:18 PM ET

I got dragged out and the stream wouldnt work on my phone, was it good? I was going to try and find it online to watch today. and @yaspaa yeah *********gery lol

Kalibo
Kalibo

05.07.2011 | 2:48 PM ET

It was alright.. the stream during the prelims suxed big time.  The main event made teh event worth while.

Piercerdan
Piercerdan

05.07.2011 | 3:01 PM ET

sweet im gonna watch tonight sherdog has them on demand

Kalibo
Kalibo

05.07.2011 | 3:03 PM ET

You plan on staying up late?  Bellator is on!  Another Saturday means another night of 3 hours of sleep for me.. b/c I'm the only tool that works on Sunday... at 6am... in a different state :(

Piercerdan
Piercerdan

05.07.2011 | 4:02 PM ET

I work every sunday but i start at noon ;)  I may watch them depending on how i feel tonight, if not ill watch them on sunday, because sundays are often pretty relaxed days.

OldManGloom
OldManGloom
  • Predictions:  109,651  |  62.5%
  • Forum Posts:  9,505
  • Post Score: 254

05.07.2011 | 4:45 PM ET

If I'm working on a Sunday, I'm most likely not getting paid (yard work, etc.) so at least you got that going for ya.

"When the system fails you you create your own system."

Kalibo
Kalibo

05.07.2011 | 4:46 PM ET

Screw that...lol.

Page 24

You must be signed in to reply. Sign in or register to join the discussion.

As an anonymous reader, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

• UFC.com : Meet Feathereright Bekhzod Usmonov | The Ultimate Fighter: Team Grasso vs Team Shevchenko
  • UFC.com : Meet Middleweight Giannis Bachar | The Ultimate Fighter: Team Grasso vs Team Shevchenko
  • Middle Easy : Jan Blachowicz Believes He Deserves a Rematch with Alex Pereira: ‘He is Not a Better Fighter Than Me’
  • MMA Junkie : After resting his body and brain, UFC's Beneil Dariush targets end of summer return
  • UFC.com : Meet Featherweight Nathan Fletcher | The Ultimate Fighter: Team Shevchenko vs Team Grasso
  • UFC.com : Meet Middleweight Paddy McCorey | The Ultimate Fighter: Team Grasso vs Team Shevchenko
  • UFC.com : The Octagon
  • UFC.com : Olympians To Compete In The UFC
  • Middle Easy : Jorge Masvidal vs. Nate Diaz Boxing Match Moved From June 1 to July 6 in Anaheim
  • MMAFighting.com : Muhammad Mokaev faces Manel Kape at UFC 304 in Manchester
  • MMA Mania : Mokaev Vs. Kape In The Works For UFC 304
  • Middle Easy : Dustin Poirier Pokes Fun at Islam Makhachev’s Performance on Punching Machine Ahead of UFC 302
  • MMAFighting.com : TKO Group Holdings suffered net loss of $249.5 million in 2024 first quarter largely due to UFC antitrust settlement
  • Bad Left Hook : Mercado vs Ali targeted for Estrada vs Bam undercard
  • MMA Junkie : Top flyweight contenders Manel Kape, Muhammad Mokaev targeted for UFC 304 clash
  • MMAFighting.com : Watch The MMA Hour with Sonnen, Perry, Smith, and Sandhagen now
  • MMA Junkie : 'This is my prime': Derrick Lewis has 'something special' in store for UFC on ESPN 56 main event
  • MMAFighting.com : Anthony Smith clears up Alex Pereira beef: ‘I’ve never challenged him to anything’
  • MMA Junkie : UFC 301 a night to remember for Alessandro Costa: TKO win, $50K bonus, praise from idol Jose Aldo
  • Jits Magazine : Women’s Under 65kg Division Fills Up With All Invites Announced For ADCC 2024