Topic: Ben Askren

How far can Askren go?

Anonymous Mode

You are not logged in to Tapology. When browsing anonymously, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

old dirt dog
old dirt dog
  • Predictions:  447  |  66.7%
  • Forum Posts:  236
  • Post Score: 33

04.10.2011 | 9:45 PM ET

Nick Thompson is not the best welterweight out there, but he's a real fighter, very experienced.  Askren went through him like he wasn't even there.  Now he will be training with Duke Roufus and all the destroyers up in that gym. Undoubtedly his striking will get better and his submissions will get better.  And has anyone at welterweight ever had wrestling and grappling position ability like him before?  I don't think so.

The question then is how far can Askren go in this sport? Can he go all the way to UFC gold?  Forget any specific matchup or worrying about how he would do against GSP.  3, 4 years from now, who knows what GSP is doing or what weight class he's at, or what any other fighter is doing.  Instead just look at Askren and decide if you think he has championship potential (future potential).

My answer: I think he is, I think he's that good.
"Funky" Ben Askren

Fighter Details

• Name: Ben Askren
  • Pro MMA Record: 19-2-0, 1 NC (Win-Loss-Draw)
  • Nickname: Funky
  • Current Streak: 2 Losses
  • Last Fight: October 26, 2019 in UFC
  • Weight Class: Welterweight | Last Weigh-In: 171.0 lbs
  • Affiliation: Roufusport MMA Academy
  • Height: 5'11" (181cm) | Reach: 71.0" (180cm)
  • Career Disclosed Earnings: $1,160,000 USD
  • Born: Cedar Rapids, Iowa
  • Fighting out of: Hartland, Wisconsin, United States
  • College: University of Missouri
  • Foundation Style: Wrestling
  • Head Coach: Duke Roufus
  • Other Coaches: N/A
  • Fighter Links:
  • Personal Links:

Responses

OldManGloom
OldManGloom
  • Predictions:  109,651  |  62.5%
  • Forum Posts:  9,505
  • Post Score: 254

04.10.2011 | 9:57 PM ET

I completely agree, especially now that he's going to be training full time for the first time.  If he becomes half the striker that Pat Berry or Anthony Pettis is, with that wrestling...sick.

"When the system fails you you create your own system."

geezhound
geezhound
  • Predictions:  6,745  |  61.3%
  • Forum Posts:  3,297
  • Post Score: 193

04.10.2011 | 10:03 PM ET

As soon as he gets an opponent with any sort of TDD at all, he will be stopped. TDs are all he has.

"Never underestimate the predictability of stupidity."

Master Blaster
Master Blaster
  • Predictions:  356  |  56.7%
  • Forum Posts:  241
  • Post Score: 30

04.10.2011 | 10:11 PM ET

geezhound agree we need to see him fight a good wrestleboxer.   askren is more than just takedowns tho.  on the ground he is a drunken master.

"Break a deal, spin the wheel"

OldManGloom
OldManGloom

04.10.2011 | 10:24 PM ET

I agree that he hasn't fought anyone with stellar TDD, but depending on how fast his striking progresses at Rufusport it may not matter that much.  Besides, it's only going to be fighters like GSP, Fitch, & Penn that are even going to give him a challenge in preventing the take down.  After all, he is an Olympic wrestler who's been a part-time MMA fighter. Now he's going to be nothing but a fighter.

http://www.sherdog.com/news/news/Bellator-Champ-Askren-Milwaukee-Bound-Set-to-Join-Roufusport-Camp-31477

TownStar
TownStar
  • Predictions:  944  |  63.1%
  • Forum Posts:  329
  • Post Score: 62

04.10.2011 | 11:15 PM ET

his takedowns and top game could be the best in the game, but he has to improve his weaknesses or they will be exploited by better competition. The change in camp should do nothing but improve and round his game, we just have to see how far he can evolve. 

"fresh outta Oakland..."

Bigj383
Bigj383
  • Predictions:  8,546  |  63.8%
  • Forum Posts:  5,417
  • Post Score: 187

04.10.2011 | 11:39 PM ET

With the competition he's facing now he will go far. Nobody in the WW tournament poses much of a threat to him. A fighter who will pose serious threat is a top level BJJ black belt with good striking. 

"It does not make sense that humans deliberately malfunction. - Upgrade"

bklettke
bklettke
  • Predictions:  2,109  |  64.7%
  • Forum Posts:  1,761
  • Post Score: 117

04.11.2011 | 12:46 PM ET

This is the first fight i've watched Askren and i was very impressed. Nick Thompson is nothign all that great, but he strikes wonderfully to set up his TDs and once on the ground it's nearly impossible to get back up. I loved his constant transitioning for a dominant position. I'll definately watch him fight again. I hope to see him against Pitbull.....

DV8ed Septum
DV8ed Septum
  • Predictions:  1,328  |  57.8%
  • Forum Posts:  559
  • Post Score: 142

04.11.2011 | 3:26 PM ET

He's legit. I don't know about how his striking will hold up @ the next level though.Can't be 1-dimensional. He looked good against his only legit opponent (imo)=Hornbuckle.

"Grrr."

Dannotheman
Dannotheman
  • Predictions:  9,433  |  65.6%
  • Forum Posts:  2,406
  • Post Score: 185

04.11.2011 | 4:56 PM ET

Hopefully Pettis and Koch teach him how to punch and kick.

I think he could reach the top in a few years.

"God please give me patience, if you give me strength I will just punch them in the face."

Dominic Decoco
Dominic Decoco
  • Predictions:  287  |  56.1%
  • Forum Posts:  115
  • Post Score: 17

04.11.2011 | 8:32 PM ET

Usually I don't like wrestlers who don't do anything but grapple and not do much damage, but Askren is pretty cool. Funky is a good nickname.
LynxGuy
LynxGuy
  • Predictions:  1,054  |  59.7%
  • Forum Posts:  1,120
  • Post Score: 138

04.12.2011 | 12:51 PM ET

Too early to tell if this kid is capable of winning UFC gold, but his grappling is sooo good.  It's so good that it's even entertaining.  As long as he works on his finishing ability like striking and BJJ he can definitely be a contender in the UFC someday.

"Don't be scared, homie." - Nick Diaz

zerohours
zerohours
  • Predictions:  499  |  60.3%
  • Forum Posts:  180
  • Post Score: 41

04.12.2011 | 1:17 PM ET

First time I saw Arksen fight was the Hornbuckle fight, ive been very impressed with his grappling since seeing it. He's defenetly one of those fighters I can't wait to see move up to UFC and test some deeper waters. I think he will find success in the ufc's WW division, so far he looks mega talented, give him a couple more years to work on his striking and ya got yourself a pretty devestating contender.

"Even though my spanish is rusty, yo my English is Olde, 40 down, grab yourself an ice cold Colt 45 feelin alive drunk as **** in the daylight ready to die"

SoccerKick
SoccerKick
  • Predictions:  32,055  |  61.8%
  • Forum Posts:  13,504
  • Post Score: 186

04.12.2011 | 8:20 PM ET

I think Askren's best is a Josh Koscheck type....amazing wrestler turned into an all around fighter that can challenge the best at 170

"I'm too old to be run by the fears of dumb people "

OldManGloom
OldManGloom

04.12.2011 | 10:46 PM ET

I think that eventually we may look at Kos as a homeless mans version of Askren.  I'm not sure that there is anyone at WW with the wrestling pedigree Askren brings to the cage.  When he learns how to strike (which he will under Roufus) look out.  Preping for his ground game must be like trying to prep for Cruz or Machida on the feet.

Dannotheman
Dannotheman
  • Predictions:  9,433  |  65.6%
  • Forum Posts:  2,406
  • Post Score: 185

04.12.2011 | 11:03 PM ET

I don't see Askren turning out like Koscheck at all. Even their wrestling styles are different. Koscheck relies on powerful double legs. Askren just grinds on you and excels in scrambles.

I also don't see Askren developing a Kos' right hand. He doesn't seem like the type with that 1 hit KO power. He just doesn't look strong.

I think he'll be more of a finesse, technical striker with great takedowns. Like a Edgar or even GSP.

"God please give me patience, if you give me strength I will just punch them in the face."

SoccerKick
SoccerKick
  • Predictions:  32,055  |  61.8%
  • Forum Posts:  13,504
  • Post Score: 186

04.12.2011 | 11:21 PM ET

@oldmangloom I agree with you about Askren being better then Kos....Also agree with @Danno that Askren won't have the power in his hands either

"I'm too old to be run by the fears of dumb people "

OldManGloom
OldManGloom

04.12.2011 | 11:29 PM ET

Yeah, I don't think he'll ever have the power that other wrestlers have shown (Kos, Hendo, Munoz) but I think his wrestling style shows a great deal of creativity and improvisation and I think that Duke is a great match to develop his striking. 

Gregory
Gregory
  • Predictions:  6,817  |  63.3%
  • Forum Posts:  18,563
  • Post Score: 275

04.12.2011 | 11:29 PM ET

Agree with both Danno and SoccerKick. Askren doesn't look like a natural striker. Heck, he doesn't look like a natural athlete.  His style of wrestling seems to be so hard to deal with though, that even if he never gets comfortable standing, it might not hold him back.

"I live, I die, I live again."

Mizder
Mizder
  • Predictions:  620  |  66.1%
  • Forum Posts:  20
  • Post Score: 45

04.13.2011 | 1:56 AM ET

his grappling is superlative unlike alot of the lay n pray guys in mma he actually is very very active on the ground which i do enjoy it does get old tho seeing the same smothering on the ground to a decision hopefully his submissions and striking will evolve while hes at roufussport i think a striker with excellent tdd would cause him alot of problems and expose him on the feet that is if there is anyone that can stop his td
minotauro11
minotauro11
  • Predictions:  2,483  |  66.5%
  • Forum Posts:  4,493
  • Post Score: 148

04.13.2011 | 7:45 PM ET

Training with Duke Roufus opens all kinds of doors for him, his biggest hole is obviously his striking, and Duke may be the best striking coach out there. His BJJ and wrestling are great, and he mixes them together so fluently. As far as wrestling goes, it may be the best p4p in the world, he is an olympic caliber wrestler, it may not work as well in MMA, but his takedowns haven't been tested at all in Bellator yet, but I am assuming it's as good as an olympic background implies. I think if he refines his striking, he has the skills to be a top 5 guy in the welterweight division, his wrestling is damn good. 

"We Are All One"

You must be signed in to reply. Sign in or register to join the discussion.

As an anonymous reader, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

• Jits Magazine : Free Fight Friday: Declan Moody vs Anton Minenko
  • UFC.com : UFC 5 Brings Gamers Closer To The Action Than Ever
  • MMA Junkie : NAC withholds earnings from two UFC 300 winners; hearings scheduled
  • Middle Easy : Kayla Harrison Turned Down a Clash with Ketlen Vieira at UFC 303: ‘Stop Running and Sign the Contract’
  • MMA Junkie : UFC on ESPN 55 weigh-in results: Two fighters heavy – including 2.5-pound miss
  • MMA Junkie : UFC on ESPN 55 weigh-in results and live video stream
  • Middle Easy : Ali Abdelaziz Reveals ‘Crazy’ Story Behind Getting Justin Gaethje an Extra 150k for Fighting Tony Ferguson
  • MMA Junkie : UFC on ESPN 55 video: Matheus Nicolau, Alex Perez make weight in Las Vegas
  • MMAFighting.com : Watch UFC Vegas 91 weigh-in video live now
  • MMA Junkie : Ketlen Vieira claims she was offered Kayla Harrison for UFC 303: 'She has to stop running'
  • UFC.com : Karine Silva Is All-Business, All-Action
  • MMA Junkie : Matheus Nicolau vs. Alex Perez prediction, pick: Which flyweight stays in contention at UFC on ESPN 55?
  • UFC.com : Jonathan Pearce: Knocking On The Door
  • MMA Mania : Coach Benched Dariush To ‘Focus On His Health’
  • UFC.com : Marnic Mann Gets Down To Business
  • Middle Easy : Anthony Smith ‘Shocked’ By How Good Sean Strickland Truly Is: ‘He Only Shows a Small Part of His Game’
  • MMA Junkie : Photos: BKFC: Knucklemania 4 pre-fight press conference
  • MMAFighting.com : Thiago Alves was basically retired until BKFC called for Mike Perry fight: ‘Money talks’
  • MMA Mania : LIVE! UFC Vegas 91 Early Weigh Ins!
  • MMA Junkie : Jose Aldo ready to trade leg kicks with Jonathan Martinez at UFC 301: 'I'm a specalist at what I do'