Topic: St-Pierre vs. Diaz

St. Pierre vs. Diaz

Anonymous Mode

You are not logged in to Tapology. When browsing anonymously, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

Oddsbot
Oddsbot
  • Predictions:  8,793  |  73.9%
  • Forum Posts:  17,652
  • Post Score: 60

12.13.2012 | 8:19 AM ET

This is the official discussion thread for St. Pierre vs. Diaz. Let's see what you've got.

"This is the droid you're looking for."

Responses Page 10

skelliher
skelliher
  • Predictions:  5,670  |  63.4%
  • Forum Posts:  11,051
  • Post Score: 245

03.05.2013 | 12:36 PM ET

Prediction: correct St-Pierre   correct Decision  

I agree with Bill regarding the striking, and I layed out a strong argument for that in my monster post. I think GSP may have an even bigger advantage standing than he will on the ground. 

"When a game cannot be won, change the game."

WishIsHere
WishIsHere
  • Predictions:  24,429  |  64.4%
  • Forum Posts:  7,003
  • Post Score: 232

03.05.2013 | 12:55 PM ET

Do people really think GSP is going to finish? The likelihood is like 5% chance at best. GSP plays it safe in every fight he has now and he makes it blatantly obvious.

GSP will most likely jab Diaz to a decision or if that plan isn't working he will do his standard TDD to GnP and win by decision where he will not take any chances for a sub. This is literally the Condit fight again for him.

TL:DR If you want an easy extra 25 points for the card pick decision. If you don't pick him by a finish.

* Edited at 03.05.2013, 12:56 PM ET *

"I bought a Bruno mars cd once - gunn4206"

SRAOnline
SRAOnline
  • Predictions:  9,854  |  60.3%
  • Forum Posts:  1,719
  • Post Score: 313

03.05.2013 | 12:58 PM ET

Seriously, anyone picking anything other St Pierre by Unanimous Decision is delusional.

"Pretend to be someone you're not once, and you're a liar. Do it every day, and you're a professional."

poir420
poir420
  • Predictions:  143,346  |  63.0%
  • Forum Posts:  18,232

03.05.2013 | 1:01 PM ET

Prediction: wrong Diaz   wrong Submission   wrong Round 4  

The only way I see GSP getting a finish is if he happens to cut Nick in a bad spot, but yeah safe money is on another UD. But I will be rooting for Diaz to get a finish the whole time however unlikely it might be!

"“All of a sudden, he was shooting for a takedown, and I’m like, ‘Oh, you’re a wrestler now? Remember, I’m the black belt in jiu-jitsu. And you’re shooting on me now? This is a wrap." - Nate Diaz"

buffalo ben
buffalo ben
  • Predictions:  3,705  |  58.2%
  • Forum Posts:  6,348
  • Post Score: 157

03.05.2013 | 1:05 PM ET

Seeing how Nate Diaz was unable to rise to the occasion of beating the #1 guy at his weight has convinced me that Nick won't be able to either. Don't get me wrong, it would be an amazing thing to behold, but I just can't realistically see GSP losing.

"You don't have to be perfect, just dont be fraudulant"

itfigures
itfigures
  • Predictions:  37,378  |  61.3%
  • Forum Posts:  1,455
  • Post Score: 279

03.05.2013 | 1:20 PM ET

Prediction: wrong Diaz   wrong KO/TKO   wrong Round 4  

I just hope Nick doesn't try to walk Georges down the whole fight because GSP won't run like Condit did, he'll shoot and hold Nick down for the duration of the round. Condit has a good guard, Nick's is better. Nick also has better sweeps and transitions than Condit. I can see this fight playing out much like the Condit fight but I think this will be a much more competitive than people are giving Nick credit for.

If GSP wins, I'll be the first to give him his props. If Nick wins, I'll prolly be the first suspended.
skelliher
skelliher
  • Predictions:  5,670  |  63.4%
  • Forum Posts:  11,051

03.05.2013 | 1:37 PM ET

I think Diaz has a better guard than Condit, but Condit's sweeps are a lot better IMO. I've never been impressed with the sweep game of either Diaz brother. If a guy can hold them down, their only chance is to sub him off their backs; otherwise, they never seem to get up. 

Condit swept Dong Hyun Kim almost instantly in their fight a couple years ago then KTFO'd him.

* Edited at 03.05.2013, 1:38 PM ET *

"When a game cannot be won, change the game."

SethKindel
SethKindel
  • Predictions:  233  |  54.1%
  • Forum Posts:  33
  • Post Score: 221

03.05.2013 | 1:51 PM ET

While I firmly believe that GSP will win. Nick Diaz stands a greater shot than Condit ever did In my opinion.

"It's a fist fight in a steel cage, there's nothing artistic about it." - Chael Sonnen

zarog
zarog
  • Predictions:  2,855  |  63.8%
  • Forum Posts:  4,174
  • Post Score: 241

03.05.2013 | 2:33 PM ET

GSP has several blueprints to destroy Nick. Henderson/Nate, Rory/Nate, DHK/Nate, Condit/Nick. Those are by far the 4 most relevant fights, but frankly I don't see why GSP loses at any aspect. 

Off his back, Diaz has great subs. Problem is, GSP has the best top game in MMA. GSP admitted after the Condit fight that he didn't throw more strikes because he was certain that Condit was baiting him. Unless GSP gets over-confident, Diaz has virtually no chance of finding an opening to sub GSP. The other thing to remember is that GSP's overall strength athleticism means that getting any sub outside of a choke is going to be very difficult. Whereas, if GSP locks in a sub, Diaz's rather slight build will work against him greatly and likely end with GSP tapping him.

In the striking department, Diaz has very little one-strike KO ability. His punches are not overly technical (unlike Nate, he still uses 90% hooks which are going to be useless against a guy with straight punches and leg-kicks). Nick's durability is the only thing that he has, but frankly, I don't see him able to walk GSP down with GSP's speed & athleticism as well as his exquisite use of a gameplan.

As for endurance, Diaz is likely being overrated. He's got good cardio, no doubt, but I thought Condit looked fresher between the 2 at the end of their fight. One of the reasons Diaz's cardio has always been thought so highly of is because so many of his opponents allowed him to hit them often in the body. Enough body shots on anyone is going to make them tired. I don't think Diaz is able to corner GSP and land his signature million hooks to the body, so I don't expect him to be able to out-cardio GSP.

GSP might finish this fight, but if he does it will be due to doctor stoppage for reason of cuts endangering Diaz's health. Diaz is a known bleeder, so I see it as a possibility, but not probable. 

Outcome of this fight to me is 85% GSP decision, 13% GSP TKO, 1% GSP Submission, 0.1% Nick TKO, 0.9% Nick Submission.

"Surrender??!! You think this letter on my head stands for France?" - Captain America

legacyofmisfortune
legacyofmisfortune
  • Predictions:  14,159  |  63.5%
  • Forum Posts:  5,349
  • Post Score: 240

03.05.2013 | 3:21 PM ET

Prediction: wrong Diaz   wrong Submission   wrong Round 4  

@Zarog I disagree with you in some apsects, although in the end GSP is the most likley winner of this fight.

Diaz has one punch KO power, but he doesn´t use it much, he flurries and uses combos with less power but it doesn´t mean he doesn´t have power he rather hit fast and plenty that harder. he droped Daely with single punches he finished with a TKO, but he showed some of his power. plus if Diaz attacks the body of GSP he can slow him down enough to defend some of those TD´s, and you are overlooking Diaz Jab, GSp´s is excellent but Nick has a mean jab too.

I Agree that  GSP is much stronger and with an excellent top game Diaz can´t miss a chance if he wants to sub him, but even if GSP gets a grip of him Diaz doesn´t need to be strobger only more skilled and flexible to escape submisions and GSP will have to be very carefull of Diaz transcitions, I think it will be a dangerous game for GSP to get into.

again you are underestamating Diaz this time with his cardio, the guy compete in 8 or 9 triathlons a year during his free time, including 3 XTERRA triathlons,  there is much more proof of his good cardio than the contrary

you talk about several blueprints but only one is about Nick, I know Nick and Nate have very simillar styles but they are not the same fighter

"he is going to the hospital, and im going to the after party, ha ha ha" Nate Diaz

Bill Burgess
Bill Burgess
  • Predictions:  301  |  69.1%
  • Forum Posts:  5,093
  • Post Score: 47

03.05.2013 | 3:48 PM ET

It sounds as if even those who picked Nick to win are hedging their bets.  They are saying they really don't expect Nick to actually pull off the upset, but they just can't bring themselves to go with GSP.  It's more a stop GSP vote or Diaz sentimentalism.  

Nick will depend on Wild Cards.  Like GSP making a mistake.  Or GSP's knee going bad.  Or an eye poke.  Or a foul so bad that it affects the outcome.

Nick will not be able to walk GSP down.  He will be walking down a brick wall.  That wall will not back up.  

When Nick is on the bottom getting pounded, he is going to feel as if he just checked into Bates Hell Hotel, and has Leatherface chasing him with a chain saw.  

These are gonna be the Looooogest 5 rounds of Nick's life.  Loooooooooog rounds.  Looord have mercy.

* Edited at 03.05.2013, 3:50 PM ET *

"Love God, live with honor, keep your agreements."

itfigures
itfigures

03.05.2013 | 3:56 PM ET

"Nick will depend on Wild Cards.  Like GSP making a mistake.  Or GSP's knee going bad.  Or an eye poke.  Or a foul so bad that it affects the outcome."

Nick will depend on poking George's eye or fouling him? What is wrong with you Bill? What planet do you live on man? I don't think you're getting enough fiber bud.

Who has GSP "pounded" from the top position since Serra?, and that was knees.

Also, the only person I can recall even close to holding Nick down was Diego and if you rewatch that fight I think you'll find there was quite a bit of sub attempts( from the bottom) by Nick as well as some sick sweeps

Diaz round 4 TKO or SUB

Bill Burgess
Bill Burgess

03.05.2013 | 4:06 PM ET

@itfigures  I live on Earth.  I have studied Nick and Georges for a long time.  I think I know from whence I speak.

Must what I wrote have to happen?  Certainly not.  Does Nick have options to change things?  Certainly.

Georges and his coaches have had a long time to think and plan how to destroy Nick.  They are expecting the usual Nick to arrive on Fight Night.  But Nick can foil them all.

He can arrive a different Nick.  He can, for this one time, become a strategic point fighter, and throw all GSP's plans out the window.

But just how likely is it for Nick to think like that?  He would have to step outside being Nick.  Is that likely?  Certainly not.  

I don't need fiber.  I need a blond over blue with big boobs and a big butt and knows how to say, "Oh, all right, dear."  Know of anyone?  Help out an old friend?

itfigures
itfigures

03.05.2013 | 4:09 PM ET

I'm done replying to you Bill, I believe you've been studying mma for about 2 weeks before you were ran off the UFc boards and found this site. Go back to your first posts here and reread some of that crap then come back and talk about how long you've been studying Georges and Nick. Have a nice day.

* Edited at 03.05.2013, 4:09 PM ET *

Bill Burgess
Bill Burgess

03.05.2013 | 4:18 PM ET

Did the discussion get too difficult for you?  Need to resort to getting personal and insulting?

Pleasant sports chat is something you can't handle, so I'll ignore your from now on.  

My premise is that Nick would have to change his style to have a chance in this fight, and itfigures can't cope with that logic.  

Since you can't discuss with civility and respect, I will make a point to go around you and not even read your posts.

RamJam420
RamJam420
  • Predictions:  489  |  63.4%
  • Forum Posts:  63
  • Post Score: 29

03.05.2013 | 10:03 PM ET

Prediction: wrong Diaz   wrong Submission   wrong Round 1  

@Bill  There is NO way GSP gets an advantage in the standup! When has GSP ever displayed good standup? Koscheck, Shields, Hughes? lol. Anytime he ever fights anyone with good standup he has to resort to wrestling: BJ, Thiago Alves are the examples that come to mind. 
GSP gets forced into the takedown by Nick's superior standup. The fight is decided there.
And Nick becoming a strategic points fighter? Please don't even go there that's negating the whole reason why Diaz fans are Diaz fans. I wanna see fighters fight not Greg Jackson the sport
Anik
Anik
  • Predictions:  6,592  |  62.5%
  • Forum Posts:  17,508
  • Post Score: 160

03.05.2013 | 10:11 PM ET

No comment.

Actually ya I will comment, RamJam you're an idiot.

"الله أكبرl"

TraeBlack
TraeBlack
  • Predictions:  20,845  |  60.3%
  • Forum Posts:  8,701
  • Post Score: 173

03.05.2013 | 10:15 PM ET

Prediction: correct St-Pierre   wrong Submission   wrong Round 4  

GSP, takedown, elbows, end round on top. Rinse, and repeat x4. Decision. Retain title. Boos.

"3HUNNA"

RamJam420
RamJam420

03.05.2013 | 10:16 PM ET

@ anik why?

* Edited at 03.05.2013, 10:17 PM ET *

RamJam420
RamJam420

03.05.2013 | 10:20 PM ET

Ah sorry its because you're from Montreal no worries gotta defend your homeboy. I'm Canadian too getting the same from all my friends

Page 10

You must be signed in to reply. Sign in or register to join the discussion.

As an anonymous reader, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

• Jits Magazine : Nicky Rodriguez Leaves ADCC 2024 To Enter Craig Jones Invitational
  • Middle Easy : Exclusive – Lerone Murphy Talks Potential Return at UFC 304 in Manchester, Shares Prediction for Topuria vs. Holloway Title Fight
  • MMA Junkie : UFC champ Dricus Du Plessis heaps praise on Conor McGregor: 'Every single fighter needs to thank him'
  • MMA Mania : ‘It’s Pretty Much A Street Fight Inside Of A Ring In Japan’
  • UFC.com : UFC 302 Embedded | All Episodes
  • MMAFighting.com : PFL star Dakota Ditcheva confident she can beat Alexa Grasso or Valentina Shevchenko for UFC title
  • Middle Easy : Paige VanZant Calls Judging of Elle Brooke Fight ‘A Little Bit Nuts,’ Suggests London Setting For Inevitable Rematch
  • MMA Junkie : Video: Justin Gaethje shares first training footage after Max Holloway knockout at UFC 300
  • MMAFighting.com : Tom Aspinall: Officials not open to changing wonky UFC 304 local start time
  • MMA Mania : Aspinall Mocks Bon Thespian For Passing On UFC 304
  • MMAFighting.com : Demetrious Johnson doubles down on Anthony Joshua beating Francis Ngannou in MMA: ‘It’s not like Francis is some world-class kickboxer’
  • MMA Junkie : UFC 302: Make your predictions for Islam Makhachev vs. Dustin Poirier
  • MMA Junkie : Islam Makhachev: Dustin Poirier 'will undoubtedly be inducted into the UFC Hall of Fame'
  • MMAFighting.com : Anthony Smith: Dustin Poirier has to make Islam Makhachev ‘nervous’ to win at UFC 302
  • UFC.com : Updates to UFC 302: Makhachev vs Poirier
  • MMA Mania : Strickland ‘Ready To Die’ In Brazilian Bloodbath
  • MMAFighting.com : Bobby Green torches Dillon Danis over recent beef: ‘He can’t stop messaging me’
  • MMA Junkie : Dana White's Contender Series, Season 8 roster filling out with UFC hopefuls
  • Middle Easy : Video: Conor McGregor Swipes Random Woman’s Blouse To Take A Peek At Her Breasts During Nightclub Party
  • MMAFighting.com : UFC 302 Embedded, episode 1: ‘I will finish Dustin’