Topic: Rashad Evans

Trevor Wittmann: Rashad should be willing to fight Jon Jones

Anonymous Mode

You are not logged in to Tapology. When browsing anonymously, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

Master Blaster
Master Blaster
  • Predictions:  356  |  56.7%
  • Forum Posts:  241
  • Post Score: 30

03.02.2011 | 8:30 AM ET

http://www.sherdog.com/news/news/Coach-Tells-Evans-He-Should-Be-Willing-to-Fight-Jones-30539

“Mentally, I know it’s a little rough for [Evans] to see one of the guys he made a pact with to not fight go out there and take his position,” said Wittman who is the head coach at the Grudge Training Center a Jackson’s MMA affiliate gym where Evans has trained. “… I had the conversation with Rashad that I felt Rashad should fight Jon Jones if he wins.”

Wittman does in fact think Jones will beat Rua. He believes the 23-year-old could become one of the greatest fighters in MMA history. However, Wittman doesn’t feel Jones should have moved into Evans’ spot.

“I feel Jon Jones could have been like, ‘Hey man, I’ll tell you what. I’m going to take another fight,’” Wittman said. “And let Rashad -- he’s not at the beginning of his career. He’s at the peak and the tail end of it. Let him go fight for it.”

Regardless, now that Jones could soon be the light heavyweight champion, Wittman sees no problem with the teammates fighting each other.

“It makes for a great fight,” he said. “I think Rashad’s got the speed to do it. I think it’s just one of those things [that] makes for great media. To see two guys go out there, you’re fighting to make a legacy. You’re going out there and fighting one of your training partners: I think it’s a great thing. I think it’s great for the sport. A lot of people think we’re just brutal guys that kick each other’s ass. If we’re not in that mindset of brutality, you should be able to fight your friends, especially if there’s a world title on the line.”

In Wittman’s view, it will hurt Evans if he isn’t willing to fight Jones. 

"Break a deal, spin the wheel"

"Suga" Rashad Evans

Photo Source:  

Fighter Details

• Given Name: Rashad Anton Evans
  • Pro MMA Record: 20-8-1 (Win-Loss-Draw)
  • Nickname: Suga
  • Current Streak: 1 Win
  • Last Fight: January 28, 2022 in EFC
  • Weight Class: Light Heavyweight | Last Weigh-In: 205.0 lbs
  • Affiliation: Blackzilians Performance Institute
  • Height: 6'0" (183cm) | Reach: 75.0" (191cm)
  • Career Disclosed Earnings: $2,722,000 USD
  • Born: Niagara Falls, New York, United States
  • Fighting out of: Boca Raton, Florida
  • Fighter Links:
  • Personal Links:

Responses

thefreeman
thefreeman
  • Predictions:  9,496  |  60.0%
  • Forum Posts:  1,751
  • Post Score: 198

03.02.2011 | 9:10 AM ET

My only response is if Jones manages to beat shogun this automatically proves that Rashad would get destroyed
kierran1589
kierran1589
  • Predictions:  123  |  59.3%
  • Forum Posts:  6
  • Post Score: 100

03.02.2011 | 9:54 AM ET

Rashad vs Jones.. I think that would be a close fight! Besides GSP I think Rashad is the best at mixing striking and takedowns so to say Rashad would get destroyed if Jones beats shogun isn't neccessarily true. They are two completely different fighters :)

They should both realize that MMA is a sport though and want to compete against each other to prove who is the best in their division. ATM we have Rampage, Machida, Silva, Forrest, Franklin, Bader undeserving of a title shot so there could well be a scenario where Rashad and Jones SHOULD fight each other, otherwise the UFC will only have the option to give Jackson a title shot, who in my opinion, doesn't really deserve one.
SoccerKick
SoccerKick
  • Predictions:  32,055  |  61.8%
  • Forum Posts:  13,504
  • Post Score: 186

03.02.2011 | 10:33 AM ET

It wouldn't be that hard for them to fight...Rashad already spends a lot of time in Denver training at Grudge...He just spends his whole camp in Denver and Jones down in New Mexico they never see each other in the gym...Besides Shogun is gonna put an end to this anyway!

"I'm too old to be run by the fears of dumb people "

You must be signed in to reply. Sign in or register to join the discussion.

As an anonymous reader, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

• MMA Junkie : Video: Ryan Garcia shows Colby Covington left hooks after Donald Trump meetup in Florida
  • MMAFighting.com : WATCH: Swedish fighter delivers incredible faceplant knockout in pro debut
  • MMA Junkie : GLORY Kickboxing vet Jhonata Diniz ready for 'big names' at heavyweight after UFC on ESPN 55 win
  • MMA Mania : Video: Garcia Striking Tips Open Colby’s Third Eye
  • MMAFighting.com : Alex Perez on UFC main event knockout: ‘My friends always call me pillow hands, so now they can’t’
  • Middle Easy : Islam Makhachev Says Dustin Poirier Is A ‘Tough Fight’, Wants Arman Tsarukyan Next
  • MMA Junkie : Mick Maynard's Shoes: What's next for Alex Perez after UFC on ESPN 55 upset win?
  • MMAFighting.com : WATCH: UFC vet Hunter Azure flattens opponent with brutal one-punch knockout
  • Middle Easy : Video: Ryan Garcia Gives UFC Star Colby Covington Quick Striking Tutorial
  • MMA Junkie : Mike Perry thanks Conor McGregor for becoming BKFC owner: 'He's done remarkable things'
  • MMA Mania : ‘Thank You, Man’
  • MMAFighting.com : Michael Chandler reacts to Conor McGregor becoming part owner of BKFC
  • MMA Junkie : UFC on ESPN 55 post-event facts: Ryan Spann's struggles continue
  • Middle Easy : Mike Perry Reacts To Conor McGregor’s BKFC Ownership: ‘Nobody Moved That Needle Like Him’
  • MMA Junkie : Uros Medic knows Ian Machado Garry won't fight him but in his 'humble opinion,' would knock him out
  • MMAFighting.com : David Feldman explains how Conor McGregor became BKFC co-owner, how Dana White may react
  • MMA Mania : BKFC, The Morning After: It’s Finally Time For Perry Vs. Till
  • MMA Junkie : Alex Perez content UFC on ESPN 55 served as reminder: 'Honestly, I haven't changed'
  • Jits Magazine : BJJ Stars 12 Full Results And Review
  • MMA Mania : Highlights! Duffee, Hunt Suffer TKO Injuries At KnuckleMania 4