Topic: Jorge Masvidal

Exclusive: Jorge Masvidal's Second Chance at a First Impression

Anonymous Mode

You are not logged in to Tapology. When browsing anonymously, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

skelliher
skelliher
  • Predictions:  5,670  |  63.4%
  • Forum Posts:  11,051
  • Post Score: 245

03.01.2011 | 5:59 AM ET

Check out the blog this morning for an interview with Jorge Masvidal, who makes his return to U.S. soil this Saturday night against Billy Evangelista at Strikeforce: Columbus.

"When a game cannot be won, change the game."

Jorge "Gamebred" Masvidal

Fighter Details

• Name: Jorge Masvidal
  • Pro MMA Record: 35-17-0 (Win-Loss-Draw)
  • Nickname: Gamebred
  • Current Streak: 4 Losses
  • Last Fight: April 08, 2023 in UFC
  • Weight Class: Welterweight | Last Weigh-In: 171.0 lbs
  • Affiliation: American Top Team
  • Height: 5'11" (180cm) | Reach: 74.0" (188cm)
  • Career Disclosed Earnings: $1,574,873 USD
  • Born: Miami, Florida, United States
  • Fighting out of: Miami, Florida
  • Head Coach: Ricardo Liborio
  • Other Coaches: Howard Davis Jr., Chutiphat Runsgawang, Marcos Da Matta
  • Fighter Links:
  • Personal Links:

Responses

LynxGuy
LynxGuy
  • Predictions:  1,054  |  59.7%
  • Forum Posts:  1,120
  • Post Score: 138

03.01.2011 | 7:13 AM ET

I admit I really didn't know much at all about Masvidal before this interview other than his decision loss to Daley.  Seems like he's really confident in himself right now.  I think he might be underestimating Billy though.  Right now I have Billy winning the fight, but that's more due to my lack of knowledge on Masvidal.  Bad habit of betting on undefeated prospects..

Good interview.

"Don't be scared, homie." - Nick Diaz

skelliher
skelliher

03.01.2011 | 8:44 AM ET

I've spoken with Masvidal on several occasions and have a very good working relationship with him. That said, he sounds this confident all the time and I do think it has been his downfall in certain fights. I expected him to meet Eddie Alvarez in the Season 1 Finale of Bellator's first Lightweight Tournament, but Toby Imada submitted him with one of the greatest subs of all time.

I do think he was screwed regarding the circumstances of the Luis Palomino loss, but the Daley loss is tougher to make excuses for, aside from the fact that he was the much smaller fighter.

Masvidal made an instant impression on me several years ago when I saw him knock out Yves Edwards with a head kick at a BodogFight event. I expected Edwards to run through him, having previously seen Edwards's amazing head kick KO of Josh Thomson in the UFC.

kallousklown
kallousklown
  • Predictions:  24,203  |  62.6%
  • Forum Posts:  10,967
  • Post Score: 177

03.01.2011 | 4:53 PM ET

with all due respect, i know masvidal as the triangled guy. dont know much about him except that he lost a decision to P. Daley. ill be looking forward to seeing him fight for the first time. 

"Are we gonna jump, or we just gonna jerk each other off?"

skelliher
skelliher

03.01.2011 | 5:47 PM ET

Haha he hates when people refer to him as that guy. That was a huge upset IMO at the time. Imada is the real deal--capable of hanging with some of the top LWs in the world--but he's so inconsistent that nobody saw that coming.

kallousklown
kallousklown
  • Predictions:  24,203  |  62.6%
  • Forum Posts:  10,967
  • Post Score: 177

03.01.2011 | 5:50 PM ET

i can see why he'd hate being called that. hes one of the biggest highlights in mma today. 

"Are we gonna jump, or we just gonna jerk each other off?"

skelliher
skelliher

03.01.2011 | 5:52 PM ET

Yeah that truly was one of the best submissions of all time.

You must be signed in to reply. Sign in or register to join the discussion.

As an anonymous reader, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

• MMA Mania : Midnight Mania: BMF Holloway Vs. Chandler? ‘The Show Must Go On!’ Even With Missing Mac
  • MMA Junkie : Jake Matthews hates decision wins like UFC 302, but wants a test vs. Neil Magny
  • MMA Junkie : UFC 302 reactions: Winning and losing fighters on social media
  • MMA Mania : No Time For BS! Harrison ‘Carried PFL On My Back’
  • MMA Junkie : UFC CEO Dana White reveals next BMF title fight is being worked on
  • Middle Easy : Conor McGregor Releases Statement Following Press Event Cancelation, Ariel Helwani Sheds Additional Light on the Situation
  • MMA Junkie : Sean Strickland blames 'awkward' UFC 302 fight on Paulo Costa: 'What the f*ck are we doing here?'
  • MMA Mania : Usman And Poirier Would ‘Push Each Other To The Brink’
  • MMA Junkie : Daniel Cormier urges Dustin Poirier not to retire after UFC 302: 'He's got a lot of money to be made'
  • MMAFighting.com : Randy Brown reveals he ‘destroyed’ foot barely 1 minute into UFC 302: ‘That’s my luck’
  • Middle Easy : Daniel Cormier Believes Dustin Poirier Has Plenty Left in the Gas Tank: ‘He Can Do This For a Long Time’
  • MMA Junkie : Alexa Grasso perplexed by Valentina Shevchenko's claim of theme change for UFC 306 at Sphere
  • UFC.com : Meet TUF Coach Valentina Shevchenko | The Ultimate Fighter: Team Grasso vs Team Shevchenko
  • UFC.com : Valentina Shevchenko Talks TUF 32 | The Ultimate Fighter: Team Grasso vs Team Shevchenko
  • MMA Mania : Reports, Speculation Signal McGregor ‘Minor Injury’
  • UFC.com : Meet TUF Coach Alexa Grasso | The Ultimate Fighter: Team Grasso vs Team Shevchenko
  • Middle Easy : Exclusive: Daniel Rodriguez Banking On UFC ‘War’ With Kelvin Gastelum: ‘The Bigger The Name…’
  • MMAFighting.com : Demetrious Johnson fears Michael Chandler ‘might be wasting his time’ waiting for Conor McGregor
  • MMA Junkie : Dana White: 'No comment' on Mike Tyson vs. Jake Paul being rescheduled
  • MMA Mania : Level-Up! Najera Not Rushing Path To UFC