Topic: Michael Bisping

Illegal moves help to win

Anonymous Mode

You are not logged in to Tapology. When browsing anonymously, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

lilspyder
lilspyder
  • Predictions:  32,913  |  62.1%
  • Forum Posts:  288
  • Post Score: 100

02.27.2011 | 5:17 AM ET

So first off I must say thank God that a fight where there was so much hype lived up to it's reputation. The bad blood between Bisping and Rivera was almost palpable here in Canada. Now as for that knee I think that Bisping should have been diqualified, even though Jorge (who is a complete gamer for sure!) decided that he would keep fighting. I mean that hit was so blatant it was disgusting. There was no oh he was almost up or anything it was a full on illegal move that could easily be seen ws thrown deliberately. I will even go so far as to say that this move obviously had a hand in Bisping finishing Rivera in the second. I mean i'm not saying that Bisping isn't getting better at throwing stronger punches but Rivera could usually take it better than that. So yeh illegal moves help you to win sometimes

"Never Give Up! These violent delights have violent ends. Amat victoria paratum"

Michael "The Count" Bisping

Photo Source:  

Fighter Details

• Given Name: Michael Gavin Joseph Bisping
  • Pro MMA Record: 30-9-0 (Win-Loss-Draw)
  • Nickname: The Count
  • Current Streak: 2 Losses
  • Last Fight: November 25, 2017 in UFC
  • Weight Class: Middleweight | Last Weigh-In: 186.0 lbs
  • Affiliation: RVCA
  • Height: 6'1" (186cm) | Reach: 75.5" (192cm)
  • Career Disclosed Earnings: $1,828,000 USD
  • Born: Nicosia, Cyprus
  • Fighting out of: Anaheim, California
  • Fighter Links:
  • Personal Links:

Responses

Gregory
Gregory
  • Predictions:  6,817  |  63.3%
  • Forum Posts:  18,565
  • Post Score: 275

02.27.2011 | 6:10 AM ET

It's too bad it happened that way.  I do find it interesting how these guys react to illegal blows, though.  People get kneed like that when standing, and used to get kneed like that in Pride.

Rivera slumped over like he was half-dead, but if the knee was legal I suspect he would have just kept fighting, even if a little wobbly.

"I live, I die, I live again."

zerohours
zerohours
  • Predictions:  499  |  60.3%
  • Forum Posts:  180
  • Post Score: 41

02.27.2011 | 6:20 AM ET

I think the knee was just a result of way to much emotion, he was pissed of from Rivera's trash talk and wanted to **** em up, I don't like Bisping, but I don't think he consciously cheated. I also don't think Rivera was nearly as hurt as he seem'd to be. On the replay you can see that the knee landed pretty cleanly, then Rivera looks up briefly at the ref, then he reacted and curdled to the knee. I believe all of Rivera's trash talk, and his over playing of the illegal knee (I am not saying he wasn't rocked I have no clue wasnt there) is because on some level I think he was afraid of Bisping and used the minute or so he had to recover, catch his breathe and hopfully farther throw Bisping off his game. Unfortunatly for Rivera i didnt work

"Even though my spanish is rusty, yo my English is Olde, 40 down, grab yourself an ice cold Colt 45 feelin alive drunk as **** in the daylight ready to die"

LynxGuy
LynxGuy
  • Predictions:  1,054  |  59.7%
  • Forum Posts:  1,120
  • Post Score: 138

02.27.2011 | 7:30 AM ET

I thought Rivera looked uncomfortable for most of the fight, including before the knee hit.  I was watching the fight with zerohours and I also thought Rivera was way overplaying the knee.  He looked fine when the knee landed and only reacted after the ref had stepped in.  It didn't look like the knee landed hard enough to even wobble Rivera, I think he was fine and wanted the break, but I'm just going by what I saw on TV.  Once the fight restarted Rivera didn't seem to be suffering any effects at all from the knee.  His striking still looked just as crisp, he wasn't at all wobbly, and he was even pressuring Bisping. 
I wanted to see Bisping get knocked out because like a lot of people I don't really like him, but by the end of the fight I enjoyed watching Bisping throwing those massive bombs at Rivera against the cage to end the fight.

"Don't be scared, homie." - Nick Diaz

Joker313
Joker313
  • Predictions:  34,431  |  65.4%
  • Forum Posts:  575
  • Post Score: 215

02.27.2011 | 8:54 AM ET

That knee is arguably a knockout blow, so now Rivera has to fight after being knocked out once already. I think there should be a rematch in three of the fights tonight including this one.
Gregory
Gregory
  • Predictions:  6,817  |  63.3%
  • Forum Posts:  18,565
  • Post Score: 275

02.27.2011 | 9:31 AM ET

@joker I don't think it was a knockout blow, but it's a fair argument.

I'm just not interested in a rematch in this one. The trash talk makes for some intrigue, but I don't think Rivera is on Bisping's level, and there are other matchups I'd be more interested in for both guys.

Penn vs Fitch 2 I'd be down with, especially as a 5-rounder.

"I live, I die, I live again."

MikeAWhitney
MikeAWhitney
  • Predictions:  296  |  61.8%
  • Forum Posts:  252
  • Post Score: 50

02.27.2011 | 9:36 AM ET

I feel like im watching wwe **** when someone cheats inside the octagon and wins. its stupid and gives them an advantage. here let me poke you in the eye then knock you out.  last night with bisping first of all witht the illegal knee then spitting on riveras corner. that doesnt get them any closer to getting any votes in ny.
lilspyder
lilspyder

02.27.2011 | 2:18 PM ET

Nice call Mike it doesn't get them closer to getting votes in ny, but you have to admit it did bring out  strong emotion in you for sure. For instance I thought it was hilarious how bad the blood was. Also it seemed best that they fought because this was definitely a real bad blood fight and it seemed to at least be rolled over for now because they go to fight each other

"Never Give Up! These violent delights have violent ends. Amat victoria paratum"

MikeAWhitney
MikeAWhitney
  • Predictions:  296  |  61.8%
  • Forum Posts:  252
  • Post Score: 50

02.27.2011 | 3:11 PM ET

this should honestly be a rematch and rivera should stop making videos and work on his cardio.
lilspyder
lilspyder

02.27.2011 | 5:20 PM ET

Lol I agree with you there! if he committed his time to getting better cardio, instead of making videos he would have an improvement for sure. Having said that though I will say he was probably doing that to blow off steam after practices as well as to piss bisping off

GutturalReef
GutturalReef
  • Predictions:  386  |  56.5%
  • Forum Posts:  105
  • Post Score: 39

02.27.2011 | 5:36 PM ET

If it was the other way around, you know Bisping would've taken the easy way out and we would never hear the end of it....

"If people ain't hatin', you doin' somethin' wrong...."

Bigj383
Bigj383
  • Predictions:  8,546  |  63.8%
  • Forum Posts:  5,417
  • Post Score: 187

02.27.2011 | 8:48 PM ET

Rivera is actually lucky he got hit with the knee. Bisping was smashing him prior to it landed and Rivera was in big trouble. The knee landing gave Rivera a chance to take time and recover a bit. If Bisping started throwing punches while Rivera was on his knees the fight likely ends there. 

"It does not make sense that humans deliberately malfunction. - Upgrade"

lilspyder
lilspyder

02.28.2011 | 4:10 AM ET

Good call Bigj I could believe that 100% but I will say i much rather preferred to see the way it ended with Bisping just throwing huge right hand bombs to Rivera's face til he went down. Beautiful in it's savagery

LynxGuy
LynxGuy
  • Predictions:  1,054  |  59.7%
  • Forum Posts:  1,120
  • Post Score: 138

02.28.2011 | 8:03 AM ET

I agree with Bigj on that one.  I watched the fight again and Bisping was raining down some hard shots on Rivera just prior to the knee.  If he had gone for punches instead of the knee at that moment I definitely could see it ending by TKO there.
I still love the way the fight ended though.  Just Bisping winding up with all his power.

"Don't be scared, homie." - Nick Diaz

lilspyder
lilspyder

02.28.2011 | 5:18 PM ET

Ok so the next thing to say is to ask do you think that Bisping is getting more power because he is sitting down more on his punches, or do you think that he will never get knockout power because he was throwing so much behind his punches and he still took a couple to finish Rivera

Bigj383
Bigj383
  • Predictions:  8,546  |  63.8%
  • Forum Posts:  5,417
  • Post Score: 187

02.28.2011 | 8:37 PM ET

I think Bisping will always be a more cumulative KO person rather than a 1 punch KO person. Rivera doesn't have the best Chin and can't take punches very well and he didn't drop cold. Bisping has been able to stop the majority of his opponents through flat out overwhelming them. I think he can put people to sleep with kicks if they land right on the jaw but not with punches. 

"It does not make sense that humans deliberately malfunction. - Upgrade"

Franklin880088
Franklin880088
  • Predictions:  1,570  |  59.7%
  • Forum Posts:  3,452
  • Post Score: 120

03.01.2011 | 4:55 AM ET

Gregory, I understand what you mean about how a guy can take a knee fine while standing or in pride while on the ground, but in the ufc seems to be fighters down falls. Some of this is from people over playing how hurt they are like varner or kos.  However other times like with Rivera, I honestly think they are not prepared for. It one thing to cover up and think guy might throw some bombs at me, but it completey another matter entirely if some one throwing knees. If you are not prepared for the attack it will cause much more damage then other wise. I think that haft fighters problems, is that there no prepared for such a powerful attack to the head because it against the rules and not something they train for.

"here I come to save the day"

lilspyder
lilspyder

03.01.2011 | 8:42 AM ET

Franklin, nice post, that was very well put. You make a lot of sense in that it is one thing to know what to expect and another thing to be caught totally unaware. Also especially because Rivera did get caught flush (it didn't apper to be blocked in any way) I would say he had the right to take the time to recover. For BigJ I agree with you too I think he is definitily a cumulative KO guy for sure but it seems that because he is sitting down more on the punches it won't take as many punches as it did before. Also I think that everyone has the ability to knock people out with their feet if they catch their face properly for sure.

You must be signed in to reply. Sign in or register to join the discussion.

As an anonymous reader, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

• Middle Easy : Canelo Alvarez vs. Jaime Munguia: Canelo Dominates in Unanimous Decision Victory [Video Highlights]
  • MMA Mania : ‘I Have A Date, I’ll Let Boss Man Dana Announce That’
  • MMA Mania : De La Hoya Reacts To Canelo Beating Munguia
  • MMAFighting.com : UFC 302 bonuses: Michel Pereira snags extra $50,000 for monster finish of Ihor Potieria
  • UFC.com : Bonus Coverage | UFC 301: Pantoja vs Erceg
  • MMA Mania : Bonuses! Back-Flipping Pereira Banks $50K
  • MMA Mania : UFC 301 PPV Results, Streaming Updates
  • MMA Junkie : UFC 301 results: Alexandre Pantoja ekes by Steve Erceg to retain title in thrilling five-round battle
  • MMAFighting.com : Canelo Alvarez vs. Jaime Munguia full fight video highlights
  • MMA Junkie : UFC 301 bonuses: The Force is $50,000 strong with Mauricio Ruffy
  • MMA Junkie : Canelo Alvarez drops, beats overmatched Jaime Munguia to retain 168-pound title
  • MMA Mania : Resurgent Aldo Teases Second Run At UFC Title
  • MMAFighting.com : ‘Canelo carried him’: Pros react to Canelo Alvarez humbling undefeated Jaime Munguia
  • MMAFighting.com : Alexandre Pantoja fends off valiant challenge from Steve Erceg to retain title in UFC 301 main event
  • Middle Easy : Alexandre Pantoja Outsmarts Steve Erceg To Razor-Close Decision, Retains Title – UFC 301 Results (Highlights)
  • MMAFighting.com : ‘I just didn’t see it’: Pros score Alexandre Pantoja vs. Steve Erceg at UFC 301
  • MMA Junkie : Social media reacts to Alexandre Pantoja's title defense over Steve Erceg at UFC 301
  • MMA Mania : LIVE! Watch UFC 301 Post-Fight Presser Here
  • Bad Left Hook : ‘Canelo carried him the whole fight’: Bud Crawford and more pros react to Canelo vs Munguia
  • MMA Mania : Highlights! Canelo Hands Munguia First Career Knockdown