Topic: Volkmann vs. Sass

Volkmann vs. Sass

Anonymous Mode

You are not logged in to Tapology. When browsing anonymously, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

Oddsbot
Oddsbot
  • Predictions:  8,582  |  73.8%
  • Forum Posts:  17,524
  • Post Score: 60

02.21.2012 | 5:56 PM ET

Prediction: wrong Volkmann   wrong Decision  

This is the official discussion thread for Volkmann vs. Sass. Let's see what you've got.

"This is the droid you're looking for."

Responses Page 3

socalfightfan
socalfightfan
  • Predictions:  4,148  |  62.0%
  • Forum Posts:  23
  • Post Score: 143

05.24.2012 | 6:04 PM ET

I can't stand Volkmann but I think he can avoid Sass' sub attempts long enough to bore his way to another decision.

"I like your style dude."

jaffacakehero
jaffacakehero
  • Predictions:  5,066  |  62.0%
  • Forum Posts:  5,396
  • Post Score: 240

05.24.2012 | 6:14 PM ET

Prediction: correct Sass   correct Submission   wrong Round 3  

It would be a dumbass move to lay on top of Sass but I'll applaud Volkmann if he is ****y enough and has the balls to do it!

Volkmann needs to wait out 15 mins to get the W

Sass needs 1 second to see a mistake and sink in a sub

"If you're matched up against me, you better be prepared to give your life...because I am prepared to take it. - Conor McGregor"

FresnoMMA
FresnoMMA
  • Predictions:  55,207  |  68.6%
  • Forum Posts:  7,432
  • Post Score: 204

05.24.2012 | 6:43 PM ET

Prediction: correct Sass   correct Submission   wrong Round 2  

Volkman's going to be a huge test for Sass, I've changed my pick 3 times and I'm sticking with my original pick in Sass.
Kpro
Kpro
  • Predictions:  11,208  |  63.9%
  • Forum Posts:  4,927
  • Post Score: 255

05.24.2012 | 8:26 PM ET

Prediction: correct Sass   correct Submission   correct Round 1  

Quite a few 3SUB's going around.  Is it because of the 3rd round with Escudero or something?  I guess if it hits, there will be few perfects, just surprised to see multiple have picked it in the thread since Volkmann isn't known to gas.

"I Stab Waterbeds!"

arqMehdi
arqMehdi
  • Predictions:  7,153  |  62.7%
  • Forum Posts:  36
  • Post Score: 133

05.24.2012 | 9:10 PM ET

I think people are getting their emotions in the way for this fight. I really don't like Volkmann as a fighter or a person, but his style is still conducive to winning (boring) fights. His takedowns are impressive and the way he sets up TD's with his striking is clutch. I think Paul Sass was getting lit up by Michael Johnson, and I don't know what MJ was thinking when he went to the ground with Paul Sass. 

I think Volkmann will use his great TDD to keep this fight on the feet. What Volkmann needs to do is make Paul Sass stand with him. I think Paul's striking isn't very good ala his fight with MJ. (Try punching him in the nose!) As long as Volkmann will keep it standing, he has the best chance at victory. Volkmann has wins over Castillo and Escudero, not to mention losses to two top-10 fighters. Overall, Paul Sass's best chance at victory is to go for broke. I hate saying it, but Sass has got to fight with no regard for preservation. He has to get this fight to the ground, and he can't somehow "hope" that Volkmann is stupid enough to go to the ground with someone with 12 submission wins. 

Volkmann wins by superior TD/TDD, striking, not staying in Sass's guard, and keeping it on the feet. (But man, am I secretly hoping he gets subbed.) 

"You need to diversify yo bonds." - GZA

WishIsHere
WishIsHere
  • Predictions:  24,429  |  64.4%
  • Forum Posts:  7,003
  • Post Score: 232

05.24.2012 | 9:23 PM ET

Johnson didn't willingly go to the ground with Sass. Sass go a hold of his leg when they were tied up and immediately went for the heel hook after Johnson fell trying to escape his tied up leg.. Johnson was obviously trying to spawl and brawl, but Sass caught him. I don't think I've ever seen Volkmann strike. He got completely outclassed when he fought Kampann, but other than that I've never seen him strike once (granted I haven't seen many of his lightweight fights). Also I recommend many to watch Kampmann/Volkmann because that entire fight for Kampmann was a thing of pure beauty.

"I bought a Bruno mars cd once - gunn4206"

MMAFanJustin
MMAFanJustin
  • Predictions:  97  |  57.7%
  • Forum Posts:  9
  • Post Score: 44

05.25.2012 | 12:39 AM ET

Jacob Volkmann! He is my 2nd Favorite LW fighter besides Clay Guida!
Minnesota boy is going to be in the UFC for awhile. Some say he is boring but he controls the ground game, moves positions, and strikes from the ground!
Crumx7
Crumx7
  • Predictions:  1,598  |  63.1%
  • Forum Posts:  2,110
  • Post Score: 181

05.25.2012 | 12:55 AM ET

I'm surprised with 33% taking Sass.  I think Volkmann's wrestling shines here and he takes a unanimous decision.

"If you think about it, life is your one big chance" Follow @CRUMxMMA on Twitter

Live2wrestle
Live2wrestle
  • Predictions:  22,473  |  63.5%
  • Forum Posts:  11,857
  • Post Score: 236

05.25.2012 | 1:01 AM ET

@Crum, Im actually surprised that not more are taking Sass, not necessarily because they think he will win but because they want Volkmann to lose

"She be curvin all the locals, must like foreigns and this is when I had the Martin, I was just like Lawrence so wassup"

blapthorne
blapthorne
  • Predictions:  10,319  |  61.0%
  • Forum Posts:  272
  • Post Score: 63

05.25.2012 | 1:45 AM ET

Volkman has a fair number of wins in the UFC but his opponents' skill levels are questionable. 

Add that to the fact that Sass seems to have submitted nearly all of his opponents, I'm going with a slick submission of the night finish

"The man in black fled across the desert, and the gunslinger followed. - Stephen King"

jodybanman
jodybanman
  • Predictions:  3,332  |  61.2%
  • Forum Posts:  1,707
  • Post Score: 237

05.25.2012 | 1:51 AM ET

Sass's opponent's skill levels pale in comparison to Volkmann's.  Volkmann has broader experience against much better opponents. Volkmann has comparable submission grappling skills, and is a better wrestler.

* Edited at 05.25.2012, 1:53 AM ET *

"I don't want to have to do this living. I just walk around. I want to be swept off my feet, you know? I want my children to have magical powers. I am prepared for amazing things to happen. I can handle it."

Live2wrestle
Live2wrestle
  • Predictions:  22,473  |  63.5%
  • Forum Posts:  11,857
  • Post Score: 236

05.25.2012 | 1:55 AM ET

Escudero, Castillo, McKee, Kelly, Ronys, Voelker > Johnson, Holst, Young, Sinclair

"She be curvin all the locals, must like foreigns and this is when I had the Martin, I was just like Lawrence so wassup"

Kpro
Kpro
  • Predictions:  11,208  |  63.9%
  • Forum Posts:  4,927
  • Post Score: 255

05.25.2012 | 2:16 AM ET

The winner of the fight will be determined by whether or not Volkmann can pass Sass' guard every round.  If Volkmann is passing to half or side at will Sass' submission attempt repertoire and possibility for a stand-up go down the drain.

Though if I remember right, in the Rony Torres fight (BJJ black belt) Volkmann chose to become his backpack rather than try to stay in or pass his guard and he got the boring but easy victory by finding a non-neutral position without needing to pass.  If Sass can keep him off his back, standing or on the mat, and make Volkmann have to try to pass a leg to avoid a standup, he'll have nullified Volkmann's offense against strong BJJ players.  But if Sass' guard is no problem for Volkmann to pass then we might as well write it down 30-27 right now.  I'm hoping Sass can force a tap so I don't have to hear another Volkmann post-fight interview.

"I Stab Waterbeds!"

stange
stange
  • Predictions:  2,164  |  73.3%
  • Forum Posts:  230
  • Post Score: 247

05.25.2012 | 9:09 AM ET

I picked Volkmann to win by decision, but just like Kpro i hope that he gets caught in a sub so I dont have to listen to his stupid post fight obama bashing ''glassectomy'' smack talk.

"You can fool some people sometimes, but you can't fool all the people all the time"

Card
Card
  • Predictions:  3,852  |  66.0%
  • Forum Posts:  2,128
  • Post Score: 176

05.25.2012 | 10:34 AM ET

Sass' stand-up is horrific, but Volkmann's isn't much better. Sass at least has the height and reach advantage.
minotauro11
minotauro11
  • Predictions:  2,483  |  66.5%
  • Forum Posts:  4,493
  • Post Score: 148

05.25.2012 | 5:32 PM ET

War Volkmann

"We Are All One"

MikeLovesTacos XD
MikeLovesTacos XD
  • Predictions:  30,326  |  59.3%
  • Forum Posts:  22,487
  • Post Score: 203

05.25.2012 | 6:04 PM ET

I have no clue how anyone can like Volkmann.

"Why are you booing me? I am the GOAT. **** you." - Patricio "Pitbull" Freire

Dannotheman
Dannotheman
  • Predictions:  9,433  |  65.6%
  • Forum Posts:  2,406
  • Post Score: 185

05.25.2012 | 6:20 PM ET

If Sass catches Volkmann, I will be very impressed. Volkmann has amazing top control and Sass has really never gone against a good grappler.

"God please give me patience, if you give me strength I will just punch them in the face."

ProdigyKid14
ProdigyKid14
  • Predictions:  8,848  |  62.4%
  • Forum Posts:  5,902
  • Post Score: 195

05.25.2012 | 6:32 PM ET

I just want to see a fighter go 3-0 in the UFC using pulling guard as the primary strategy, it would be so awesome

"I fight em all. Men, women, children, ******** people, it doesn't matter. If you hit me, we're gonna fight. -Charles Bennett"

peppersmith67
peppersmith67
  • Predictions:  740  |  58.2%
  • Forum Posts:  112
  • Post Score: 77

05.25.2012 | 9:22 PM ET

Sass puts volkman in a war, but Volkmann avoids the ground (what?) and strikes a victory.

"Is he dead?" little brothers response to Dan Henderson's ko of Michael Bisping

Page 3

You must be signed in to reply. Sign in or register to join the discussion.

As an anonymous reader, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

• MMA Mania : Midnight Mania! Haney Requests Garcia Rematch Because ‘Weight Played A Role’ In Defeat
  • Middle Easy : Exclusive: Jamahal Hill Brutally Honest On UFC 300 Regrets, Who Should Be Next For Alex Pereira
  • MMA Mania : Return Of The Bare Knuckle King
  • MMA Mania : PFL MENA Inaugural Event Set For May 10 In Riyadh
  • Middle Easy : Exclusive – Jamahal Hill Talks ‘Crazy’ BMF Title Clash at UFC 300, Comments on Ryan Garcia’s Epic Troll Job
  • MMA Junkie : Michael Bisping warns Michael Chandler not to underestimate Conor McGregor: 'Can't be drunk on your own ego'
  • Bad Left Hook : ‘What goes around comes around’: Prograis says karma caught up to Haney in Garcia fight
  • Bad Left Hook : ‘What goes around comes around’: Regis Prograis says karma caught up to Devin Haney
  • MMA Mania : ‘Stop Running!’ Vieira Claims Harrison Declined UFC 303 Fight Offer
  • Middle Easy : Exclusive: Jamahal Hill On Fighting Khalil Rountree So Soon At UFC 303, Rejecting A Main Event
  • MMA Junkie : Karine Silva explains how fast UFC rise was actually deceivingly long
  • MMA Junkie : Marlon Vera calls out Petr Yan for November showdown after he previously 'declined,' Yan fires back
  • MMA Mania : VIDEO: Strongman Hall Breaks Pereira Punch Record ... Kind Of
  • MMAFighting.com : Coach Rafael Cordeiro: Beneil Dariush took time off after repeated head trauma in 2023
  • UFC.com : It’s Not Just Winning For Victor Henry, It’s How He Wins
  • MMA Junkie : Title or not, Jamahal Hill says Alex Pereira rematch has to happen
  • MMA Mania : Video: Hill Praises Pereira’s ‘Gritty’ UFC 300 Ref Block
  • MMAFighting.com : Watch Mike Perry, Thiago Alves engage in tense faceoff ahead of BKFC KnuckleMania IV showdown
  • MMA Junkie : Video: BKFC KnuckleMania 4 press conference faceoffs featuring UFC vets Mike Perry, Thiago Alves
  • MMA Junkie : Uros Medic: 'Somebody is going to get oiled up' if I get snubbed of bonus at UFC on ESPN 55