Topic: Kenny Florian

Florian Heading to Featherweight Division

Anonymous Mode

You are not logged in to Tapology. When browsing anonymously, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

Gregory
Gregory
  • Predictions:  6,817  |  63.3%
  • Forum Posts:  18,561
  • Post Score: 275

02.07.2011 | 7:49 PM ET

http://sports.espn.go.com/extra/mma/news/story?id=6100420

"I started playing around with the idea: could I make 145? Originally, I didn't think it was possible," Florian. "I spoke with a few nutritionists, got their opinions, told them what my body fat was, my walking-around weight, all that stuff and the general consensus was that it was very possible.

"I put a lot of thought into it, spoke with my coaches and everybody involved and decided that I am going to try it. I'm going to go for it."

At 34 years old, Florian remains focused solely on becoming a UFC champion. He has come up short in two previous title opportunities, and his hopes of a third shot evaporated with the loss to Maynard.

Kawa is confident that Florian, who is ranked among the top 10 lightweights, will get a title shot at 145 sooner rather than later. But Kawa knows his fighter will have to prove himself first.

"I live, I die, I live again."

Kenny "KenFlo" Florian

Photo Source:  

Fighter Details

• Given Name: Kenneth Alan Florian
  • Pro MMA Record: 14-6-0 (Win-Loss-Draw)
  • Nickname: KenFlo
  • Current Streak: 1 Loss
  • Last Fight: October 08, 2011 in UFC
  • Weight Class: Featherweight | Last Weigh-In: 145.0 lbs
  • Affiliation: Florian Martial Arts Center
  • Height: 5'10" (178cm) | Reach: 74.0" (188cm)
  • Career Disclosed Earnings: $428,000 USD
  • Born: Westwood, Massachusetts, United States
  • Fighting out of: Brookline, Massachusetts
  • Head Coach: Keith Florian
  • Other Coaches: Firas Zahabi
  • Fighter Links:
  • Personal Links:

Responses

kallousklown
kallousklown
  • Predictions:  24,203  |  62.6%
  • Forum Posts:  10,967
  • Post Score: 177

02.07.2011 | 8:03 PM ET

actually, i like kenny at LW. hes still one of the top guys and still has a chance at winning the title. i dont want all these LWs dropping to fw thinking the title will be easy pickings. its like when you cant score with a cute girl, you lower your standards thinking the ugly chick is a definite home run.

"Are we gonna jump, or we just gonna jerk each other off?"

BeastMaster
BeastMaster
  • Predictions:  1,958  |  59.8%
  • Forum Posts:  3,029
  • Post Score: 180

02.07.2011 | 8:09 PM ET

I think he should stay at LW he's pretty good there. Actually I've always thought kenflo was small at LW

"Be peaceful, be courteous, obey the law, respect everyone; but if someone lays a hand on you, send him to the cemetery."

Piercerdan
Piercerdan
  • Predictions:  22,701  |  61.1%
  • Forum Posts:  5,987
  • Post Score: 212

02.07.2011 | 8:11 PM ET

Good analogy.  If kenny if comfy there why not make the cut.  He should do a couple practice cuts to see how he feels then decide tho.  Id hate to see him lose an edge the way diego sanchez and mike swick did.  
Its all about finding the right weight for them to compete at.

"Fact: knowledge or info based on real occurrences, opinion: a belief held with confidence not substantiated by proof."

bklettke
bklettke
  • Predictions:  2,109  |  64.7%
  • Forum Posts:  1,761
  • Post Score: 117

02.08.2011 | 3:21 AM ET

He's very lean already at 145 and even with a nutritionist he hasn't done extreme weight cutting in his career like a Sherk, Fitch, or GSP. I'm not sure how he's going to do down there, but it'd be intriguing to see him fight Aldo. What's he got to lose in the end though,  i don't see a third title shot at LW coming anytime soon for him.
thiagosilva9794
thiagosilva9794
  • Predictions:  5,113  |  60.4%
  • Forum Posts:  11,315
  • Post Score: 142

02.08.2011 | 7:14 AM ET

Kenny and Tyson on the way down should add a bit of spice to 145. Are tyson and kenny gona be on 145 rankings soon or is it after they compete ?

"I really feel like I'm the most dangerous guy out there" BJ Penn........... UFC on Fox 2 event winner :)

LynxGuy
LynxGuy
  • Predictions:  1,054  |  59.7%
  • Forum Posts:  1,120
  • Post Score: 138

02.08.2011 | 7:26 AM ET

I'd rather see Kenny stay at lightweight and work on his wrestling.  It's true that Kenny is already very lean at 155, cutting the extra 10 pounds could end up hurting him more than anything.  I guess we'll find out soon.

His first fight should be against someone like Diego Nunes or Josh Grispi if he wants a fast track to being a contender.

"Don't be scared, homie." - Nick Diaz

TacomaTerror
TacomaTerror
  • Predictions:  149  |  60.4%
  • Forum Posts:  480
  • Post Score: 59

02.08.2011 | 8:29 AM ET

I don't know how he will do. He has no wrestling, which has hurt him greatly but I don't see many guys going to be grinding him out down there. He could do very well, but I doubt it.

He is already very tall and skinny, so he has to lose weight and strength. He is not all that fast at LW, and compared to the FW division.. he is going to look like a sloth compared to a guy like Aldo.

" ."All praise is to Allah, I'll fight any man, any animal, if Jesus were here I'd fight him too." "

Piercerdan
Piercerdan
  • Predictions:  22,701  |  61.1%
  • Forum Posts:  5,987
  • Post Score: 212

02.08.2011 | 9:23 AM ET

@tacoma, i agree with the speed issue.  Look at diego dropping to 155 after being a fast ww, he suddenly was on par for speed.  Kenny will look slow but if hes stronger than most (not something hes currently known for) then he may still do well.
@thiago, im pretty sure they need to have a fight to be ranked.

"Fact: knowledge or info based on real occurrences, opinion: a belief held with confidence not substantiated by proof."

TacomaTerror
TacomaTerror

02.08.2011 | 9:26 AM ET

Even then, he is one of the weaker WW's I can't think of someone weaker actually.

But! He will be able to outreach everybody by.. a ****-ton. So basically he will be jabbing everyone to death and using some of that nasty Muay-Thai I love so much.

I hope he does well, simply not sure.

" ."All praise is to Allah, I'll fight any man, any animal, if Jesus were here I'd fight him too." "

headkick99
headkick99
  • Predictions:  59  |  59.3%
  • Forum Posts:  3
  • Post Score: 0

02.08.2011 | 9:37 AM ET

i in agree with most everyone.  I would rather see Kenny take on learning a new skill set (wrestling) before dropping to FW.  Kenny has def shown his weaknesses with the top tier LW and dropping down to FW will not make up for those gaps. 

"how do you get out of one of my choke holds? Just submit"

TacomaTerror
TacomaTerror

02.08.2011 | 9:39 AM ET

I disagree with you HeadKick.

One thing dropping weight does.. is help him get away from the strong wrestlers in the LW division.

But.. then again it is hurting his overall game.

headkick99
headkick99
  • Predictions:  59  |  59.3%
  • Forum Posts:  3
  • Post Score: 0

02.08.2011 | 10:02 AM ET

TacomaTerror:

I agree that Kenny  dropping to FW removes the threat of the LW wrestles but I do not see Kenny being able to hang with Aldo, Brown or Faber any easier than the top of the LW division.  I will completely agree that Kenny would have more trouble with Maynard and Edgar but I don't think dropping to FW is the answer. 

What I don't understand is this part of the quote:

"For me it's first things first. My goal is to get the 145-pound belt, and then go up to 155 and challenge for that belt as well."  Kenny Florian

That's great to have the goal of being a multi weight class champion but I don't think dropping to 145 and possibly winning the belt wil help him win the LW belt in the future.  I know, I know, he's hoping Edgar wil not be the champion by then but I will submit that any future champion will be just as versed in wrestling as Edgar.  Which does not suit Kenny well.

"how do you get out of one of my choke holds? Just submit"

TacomaTerror
TacomaTerror

02.08.2011 | 10:04 AM ET

I guarentee you he is hoping someone like.. Melvin will win the belt. Edgar, Maynard, and G-Sot all have great wrestling.

And he will never win another belt sadly enough. I love watching him fight, but I think that this cut is going to hurt him.

bklettke
bklettke
  • Predictions:  2,109  |  64.7%
  • Forum Posts:  1,761
  • Post Score: 117

02.08.2011 | 10:08 AM ET

Gotta disagree with you on the fact that G-Sot has great wrestling - he has amazing BJJ - but his wrestling is nothing to brag about. Having great wrestling would mean he would be taking guys like Maynard, Edgar, Penn, or Sherk down, which i could see him doing that to none of those guys.....

TacomaTerror
TacomaTerror

02.08.2011 | 10:10 AM ET

Let me revise my prior statement. He has efficient wrestling. From what I've seen.. it is very rare for someone to get a sprawl on him.

I like the way he uses crisp boxing to open up his ground game.

lilspyder
lilspyder
  • Predictions:  32,913  |  62.1%
  • Forum Posts:  288
  • Post Score: 100

02.10.2011 | 4:04 PM ET

Great talks, and I agree with you Tacoma G-Sot does have efficient wrestling and he's showing flashes of briliance in that does it off of his crisp boxing, which is what wrestling for mma has to be about. As for Kenny cutting down, I think you are on to something about Kenny's muay thai and his reach advantage at FW, but he will be slow and although he'd have the reach I hope he doesn't gas and can keep FW like Aldo, Gamburyan, and Brown away from him with the jab. However, he'll have trouble not only with the wrestling but will now have to worry about speed too. And I mean we all know speed kills, and Aldo is like speedy gonzalez of mma. I just have this idea of Florian trying to keep Aldo at bay and him ducking under his jabs and crosses and coming up to destroy him once he's in reach. Not to mention the leg kicks!

"Never Give Up! These violent delights have violent ends. Amat victoria paratum"

Goopus
Goopus
  • Predictions:  1,176  |  58.5%
  • Forum Posts:  79
  • Post Score: 80

02.10.2011 | 7:26 PM ET

I truly believe Florian will just be a gatekeeper at 145 as well.
SoccerKick
SoccerKick
  • Predictions:  32,055  |  61.8%
  • Forum Posts:  13,504
  • Post Score: 186

02.11.2011 | 8:45 AM ET

I don't know about Kenny being a gatekeeper at FW...He's probably the 3rd or 4th best LW in the world depending if you still rank BJ Penn in that division...He'd be a top 5 FW and give anyone in the world trouble

"I'm too old to be run by the fears of dumb people "

You must be signed in to reply. Sign in or register to join the discussion.

As an anonymous reader, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

• MMA Mania : Midnight Mania! Haney Requests Garcia Rematch Because ‘Weight Played A Role’ In Defeat
  • Middle Easy : Exclusive: Jamahal Hill Brutally Honest On UFC 300 Regrets, Who Should Be Next For Alex Pereira
  • MMA Mania : Return Of The Bare Knuckle King
  • MMA Mania : PFL MENA Inaugural Event Set For May 10 In Riyadh
  • Middle Easy : Exclusive – Jamahal Hill Talks ‘Crazy’ BMF Title Clash at UFC 300, Comments on Ryan Garcia’s Epic Troll Job
  • MMA Junkie : Michael Bisping warns Michael Chandler not to underestimate Conor McGregor: 'Can't be drunk on your own ego'
  • Bad Left Hook : ‘What goes around comes around’: Prograis says karma caught up to Haney in Garcia fight
  • Bad Left Hook : ‘What goes around comes around’: Regis Prograis says karma caught up to Devin Haney
  • MMA Mania : ‘Stop Running!’ Vieira Claims Harrison Declined UFC 303 Fight Offer
  • Middle Easy : Exclusive: Jamahal Hill On Fighting Khalil Rountree So Soon At UFC 303, Rejecting A Main Event
  • MMA Junkie : Karine Silva explains how fast UFC rise was actually deceivingly long
  • MMA Junkie : Marlon Vera calls out Petr Yan for November showdown after he previously 'declined,' Yan fires back
  • MMA Mania : VIDEO: Strongman Hall Breaks Pereira Punch Record ... Kind Of
  • MMAFighting.com : Coach Rafael Cordeiro: Beneil Dariush took time off after repeated head trauma in 2023
  • UFC.com : It’s Not Just Winning For Victor Henry, It’s How He Wins
  • MMA Junkie : Title or not, Jamahal Hill says Alex Pereira rematch has to happen
  • MMA Mania : Video: Hill Praises Pereira’s ‘Gritty’ UFC 300 Ref Block
  • MMAFighting.com : Watch Mike Perry, Thiago Alves engage in tense faceoff ahead of BKFC KnuckleMania IV showdown
  • MMA Junkie : Video: BKFC KnuckleMania 4 press conference faceoffs featuring UFC vets Mike Perry, Thiago Alves
  • MMA Junkie : Uros Medic: 'Somebody is going to get oiled up' if I get snubbed of bonus at UFC on ESPN 55