Tapology Forums

can Barry make LHW

Anonymous Mode

You are not logged in to Tapology. When browsing anonymously, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

Lopati
Lopati
  • Predictions:  18,574  |  61.4%
  • Forum Posts:  13,352
  • Post Score: 179

01.21.2012 | 3:53 AM ET

for some reason with his height and build I feel that he could easily fight at LHW.  It may take him 4-6 months to get down there but it is feasible.  I just think his height is going to be a hinderance as he goes up against the better Heavyweights.  He is an explosive athlete at Heavywieght and I think the move down would really benefit him a lot.

"One does not hunt in order to kill; on the contrary, one kills in order to have hunted. If one were to present the sportsman with the death of the animal as a gift he would refuse it." Jose Ortega y Gasset

Responses

wolfmanhowl
wolfmanhowl

01.21.2012 | 3:56 AM ET

same height as rashad evans.
michigandolphin
michigandolphin
  • Predictions:  25,001  |  62.6%
  • Forum Posts:  4,973
  • Post Score: 261

01.21.2012 | 4:22 AM ET

I think HD needs to drop to LHW. He is getting overwhelmed by the bigger stronger HW. He is a phenomenal kickboxer and a crowd favorite. His ground game, (while improving) is attrocious, and while I'm not sure he'd fare much better at 205, I think he has a better chance to stay in the upper echelon of the division. He'll never be able to beat top 5 guys at HW just because of the size and strength disadvantage. And if Pat really wants to be a top level fighter, he needs to devote more time to wrestling and submission defense. I think it would be a wise career move if he dropped down, and I don't think it would be that much of a challange if he does it the right way. (Strict diet, less muscle building exercises) 

"Frig off, bud"

norbar
norbar
  • Predictions:  2,367  |  62.9%
  • Forum Posts:  473
  • Post Score: 129

01.21.2012 | 7:21 AM ET

I don't think his problem is his weight class since that Kongo fight could have gone either way. His problem is that he is very one dimensional right now and ground game is his problem. If he dropped to LHW it would have been even worse for him since the skill level there is much higher. At hw there are around 15-20 guys better than him, at lhw? twice as many.

"“Anyone who lives within their means suffers from a lack of imagination.” ― Oscar Wilde"

Russello
Russello
  • Predictions:  6,288  |  63.0%
  • Forum Posts:  2,839
  • Post Score: 279

01.21.2012 | 7:37 AM ET

Im a massive fan of Barry but the drop to LHW would do nothing. 1) he is MASSIVE, not in height, but in build. Hes going to have to cut 35 pounds for a fight and I dont think that will be beneficial for him. 2) Hes so quick at HW with a decent gas tank, going down could negate those positives. 3) The LHW division is much more technical. Im not sure he'd make top 20 in LHW but he could make it in HW. 

"In the quiet words of the virgin Mary.. come again?"

Chron96
Chron96
  • Predictions:  17,121  |  61.2%
  • Forum Posts:  423
  • Post Score: 155

01.21.2012 | 7:56 AM ET

He'll do fine at LHW I'm a fan of Barry but I believe he will ever hold the HW title or be anywhere near it, so might as well give LHW  a try....

"Puff the magic Dragon "

norbar
norbar
  • Predictions:  2,367  |  62.9%
  • Forum Posts:  473
  • Post Score: 129

01.21.2012 | 8:13 AM ET

He will not hold the LHW title either but he will loose more fights and be cut. I don't really understand this silly notion of If you are not the champion you may as well go and try all the other weight classes. To win you need skills, size helps but Barry is not a champion skillwise. At any weight class. I'm a fan and I really belive he needs to train and maybe then go to LHW. Right now he would get destroyed.

* Edited at 01.21.2012, 8:13 AM ET *

"“Anyone who lives within their means suffers from a lack of imagination.” ― Oscar Wilde"

brad
brad
  • Predictions:  804  |  58.5%
  • Forum Posts:  1,120
  • Post Score: 104

01.21.2012 | 9:16 AM ET

I'm sure he can make the cut, but he's such a thick guy that it really makes me wonder how he would look and perform as a LHW. He may not have very well rounded skill-set, but I hope they keep him around for a long time just based on his entertainment value. Plus his sub defense was awesome last night and if the right person becomes champ, Barry might have a punchers chance in a title fight even (not insisting he will really be the champ though, just that anything can happen). I mean, even if they would have gave Kimbo a title shot against Brock... crazy **** can happen.
Russello
Russello
  • Predictions:  6,288  |  63.0%
  • Forum Posts:  2,839
  • Post Score: 279

01.21.2012 | 9:18 AM ET

The thought of Kimbo as champion is enough to make me weep tears of agony.

"In the quiet words of the virgin Mary.. come again?"

Piercerdan
Piercerdan
  • Predictions:  22,701  |  61.1%
  • Forum Posts:  5,987
  • Post Score: 212

01.21.2012 | 9:56 AM ET

russello nailed it on the head.  Barry holds a great speed advantage over a lot of the hws, and he wont over the lhws.  Speed kills just ask tyson, who was a small hw in boxing. 

"Fact: knowledge or info based on real occurrences, opinion: a belief held with confidence not substantiated by proof."

stange
stange
  • Predictions:  2,164  |  73.3%
  • Forum Posts:  230
  • Post Score: 247

01.21.2012 | 10:03 AM ET

I think he could def. make LHW, because he is carrying around a lot of mass and muscles to compete against bigger guys at HW... but then I think it wouldn't be a smart move, because he's already struggling in the weakest division and moving down to one of the more talented divisions wouldnt make much sense!

"You can fool some people sometimes, but you can't fool all the people all the time"

Dom_
Dom_
  • Predictions:  648  |  63.3%
  • Forum Posts:  9
  • Post Score: 167

01.21.2012 | 10:06 AM ET

I haven't really seen him being overwhelmed by any other fighter all the fights he has lost he was winning in the beginning he just has a lot of trouble on the ground and that 1 amazing come back from Kongo, im sure he knows he needs to work on his ground game the most and his wrestling but he showed he has been in the Morecraft fight. I hope he does well and we see him climb up the ranks some but I see most wrestlers giving him problems at least he is with deathclutch so we know he is for sure working on his wrestling hard

" All of my fights, I look for the knockout" – Junior Dos Santos

t0rch
t0rch
  • Predictions:  5,787  |  63.2%
  • Forum Posts:  2,658
  • Post Score: 208

01.21.2012 | 10:52 AM ET

@Russelo, @Norbar, exactly what I was thinking

"I would agree with you, but then we would both be wrong."

mcrow
mcrow
  • Predictions:  92  |  64.1%
  • Forum Posts:  56
  • Post Score: 141

01.21.2012 | 11:06 AM ET

The dude is about 235-240. He's not fat and it would be a huge cut that would require losing muscle mass. The only time cutting big really pays off is if you are going to have a length advantage at the lower weight. I'm not even sure Barry could make that cut and still be in any sort of shape to be sharp for a fight.

His real problem is that he's weak on the ground. He's only a white belt in BJJ and I've seen him get owned in grappling contests where he's got 50 pounds on the other guy. I think his Sub defense is a lot better than it was but I still think he needs to work on his wrestling/BJJ. With his build he could be pretty dominant on the ground if he advances skill wise.

"The sum of your motivation minus your doubts equals your reality."

thiagosilva9794
thiagosilva9794
  • Predictions:  5,113  |  60.4%
  • Forum Posts:  11,315
  • Post Score: 142

01.21.2012 | 11:27 AM ET

Look at his thighs.. And think again.

"I really feel like I'm the most dangerous guy out there" BJ Penn........... UFC on Fox 2 event winner :)

Anik
Anik
  • Predictions:  6,592  |  62.5%
  • Forum Posts:  17,508
  • Post Score: 160

01.21.2012 | 11:41 AM ET

With all due respect, asking Pat Barry to cut to LHW is like asking Rousimar Palhares to cut to LW. Ya sure, Pat's the same size as Rashad in height, but Paul Harris is an inch shorter than Guillard too.

Height means ****, it's about the build.

"الله أكبرl"

mcrow
mcrow
  • Predictions:  92  |  64.1%
  • Forum Posts:  56
  • Post Score: 141

01.21.2012 | 11:45 AM ET

Anik, you are right.

When I wrestled I was built like a stump. I was 5'6" and 190 in the offseason but wrestled 171 during the season. People would see how short I was at my weight and tell me I need to cut to 160. It was funny because I was already 9-10% BF at 171. I was basically Barry's mini me as far as build goes. He could probably cut 10 more pounds but I can't imagine much more than that.

"The sum of your motivation minus your doubts equals your reality."

Mortis
Mortis
  • Predictions:  1,989  |  59.8%
  • Forum Posts:  1,263
  • Post Score: 246

01.21.2012 | 11:57 AM ET

Barry's fine at Heavyweight.. tbh, I don't think he'll ever get a UFC belt, but I think he would fight better at heavyweight than at lhw. 

As stated, Barry's not fat. He's just bulky and doesn't look too bad at the weight he's at. Plus, he probably feels comfortable at that weight, not having to worry about cutting weight.. so why should he move down? Yeah, he's a bit on the shorter side for a heavyweight at 5'11", but that shouldn't mean anything. People come in all shapes and sizes.

If you want to talk about height, first try to convince Jeff Monson to move down to light heavyweight.. or better yet, if we were going on height alone, try to get him to move down to welterweight.. since he is only 5' 9"... not going to happen.

"I would drink Lyoto Machida's urine." --- Forrest Griffin

Bigj383
Bigj383
  • Predictions:  8,546  |  63.8%
  • Forum Posts:  5,417
  • Post Score: 187

01.21.2012 | 12:24 PM ET

The guy is really thick and actually fairly heavy. He's the shortest guy in the division but by far not the smallest. Really it has to do with the fact his legs are the size of tree trunks. He would likely have to lose 10-15 lbs of pure muscle. Also the LHW division has the technically more superior fighters and despite not giving up more height the LHW champ has a longer reach than anyone in the HW division.

"It does not make sense that humans deliberately malfunction. - Upgrade"

ONE HIT QUIT
ONE HIT QUIT
  • Predictions:  15,663  |  63.3%
  • Forum Posts:  362
  • Post Score: 165

01.21.2012 | 12:25 PM ET

Why go to LHW where the competition is much better, not to mention better wrestlers. People think because of his size he should move down, but look at the competition he faces at HW.

Bill Burgess
Bill Burgess
  • Predictions:  301  |  69.1%
  • Forum Posts:  5,093
  • Post Score: 47

01.21.2012 | 12:34 PM ET

To suggest he drop to LHW is just so ridiculous.  Frankly, it's one of the stupidest ideas I've seen here.  He is not fat and he wouldn't be able to do it anyway.  Losing a lot of weight makes sense for Roy Nelson, but not Pat Barry.  

His problem is not the division but his skill set.  He needs to improve his ju-jitsu, his wrestling and his defense.  To try to lose all that muscle and then fight emaciated is just absurd.  This is not the flabby Fedor we're talking about, but the hard, lean Pat Barry.  It's that muscle that gives him his power in his kicks, and you want to take away all that power?  That's like saying Brock Lesnar should have dropped to LHW to avoid the big boys.  Get REAL.

* Edited at 01.21.2012, 3:20 PM ET *

"Love God, live with honor, keep your agreements."

You must be signed in to reply. Sign in or register to join the discussion.

As an anonymous reader, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

• Jits Magazine : Free Fight Friday: Declan Moody vs Anton Minenko
  • UFC.com : UFC 5 Brings Gamers Closer To The Action Than Ever
  • MMAFighting.com : UFC Vegas 91 weigh-in results: 2 fighters miss weight
  • MMA Junkie : NAC withholds earnings from two UFC 300 winners; hearings scheduled
  • Middle Easy : Kayla Harrison Turned Down a Clash with Ketlen Vieira at UFC 303: ‘Stop Running and Sign the Contract’
  • MMA Junkie : UFC on ESPN 55 weigh-in results: Two fighters heavy – including 2.5-pound miss
  • MMA Junkie : UFC on ESPN 55 weigh-in results and live video stream
  • Middle Easy : Ali Abdelaziz Reveals ‘Crazy’ Story Behind Getting Justin Gaethje an Extra 150k for Fighting Tony Ferguson
  • MMA Junkie : UFC on ESPN 55 video: Matheus Nicolau, Alex Perez make weight in Las Vegas
  • MMAFighting.com : Watch UFC Vegas 91 weigh-in video live now
  • MMA Junkie : Ketlen Vieira claims she was offered Kayla Harrison for UFC 303: 'She has to stop running'
  • UFC.com : Karine Silva Is All-Business, All-Action
  • MMA Junkie : Matheus Nicolau vs. Alex Perez prediction, pick: Which flyweight stays in contention at UFC on ESPN 55?
  • UFC.com : Jonathan Pearce: Knocking On The Door
  • MMA Mania : Coach Benched Dariush To ‘Focus On His Health’
  • UFC.com : Marnic Mann Gets Down To Business
  • Middle Easy : Anthony Smith ‘Shocked’ By How Good Sean Strickland Truly Is: ‘He Only Shows a Small Part of His Game’
  • MMA Junkie : Photos: BKFC: Knucklemania 4 pre-fight press conference
  • MMAFighting.com : Thiago Alves was basically retired until BKFC called for Mike Perry fight: ‘Money talks’
  • MMA Mania : LIVE! UFC Vegas 91 Early Weigh Ins!