Topic: Holloway vs. Nurmagomedov

Holloway vs. Nurmagomedov

Anonymous Mode

You are not logged in to Tapology. When browsing anonymously, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

Oddsbot
Oddsbot
  • Predictions:  8,620  |  73.7%
  • Forum Posts:  17,552
  • Post Score: 60

04.02.2018 | 4:28 AM ET

This is the official discussion thread for Holloway vs. Nurmagomedov. Let's see what you've got.

"This is the droid you're looking for."

Responses

Jacob Rawley
Jacob Rawley
  • Predictions:  1,034  |  59.4%
  • Forum Posts:  20
  • Post Score: 145

04.02.2018 | 4:28 AM ET

Prediction: Holloway  |  KO/TKO  |  Round 3

aT tHE End Of ThE dAy iT isSss WhAT IT iSsSS

"Everyone's second favourite grappling dummy"

rappinpapsoda
rappinpapsoda
  • Predictions:  71,490  |  59.8%
  • Forum Posts:  8,601
  • Post Score: 69

04.02.2018 | 7:35 AM ET

Prediction: Nurmagomedov  |  KO/TKO  |  Round 2

Max must be offered a ton of money for this.

"The only thing predictable about MMA is that it is unpredictable."

Franklin880088
Franklin880088
  • Predictions:  1,570  |  59.7%
  • Forum Posts:  3,452
  • Post Score: 120

04.02.2018 | 11:20 AM ET

I think max was offered the most money he ever made for this fight. however, I doubt it was nearly as much as some other fighters have made. I think this will be his highest paid fight but I think this is more Max being an utter badass, then the UFC really paying him to take the fight. It likely that Max is going to make a lot less then he should for taking this fight. However if he wins, he going to be so dam marketable and guarantees him a rematch for huge money against Connor.

* Edited at 04.02.2018, 11:20 AM ET *

"here I come to save the day"

HJWalker
HJWalker
  • Predictions:  3,064  |  67.6%
  • Forum Posts:  337
  • Post Score: 118

04.02.2018 | 11:28 AM ET

Prediction: Holloway  |  KO/TKO  |  Round 5

Completely agree. I'm sure he will make good money but he wants this fight because he loves to fight. So much love for Max, hard not to like him.
AnAlias
AnAlias
  • Predictions:  7,888  |  63.4%
  • Forum Posts:  8,737
  • Post Score: 246

04.02.2018 | 12:49 PM ET

Prediction: Nurmagomedov  |  Decision

Gotta think Holloway's chances here are not great, but crazier **** has happened in MMA. I'm sure the large payday he's probably getting from this will soothe any wounds. 
Hyrm
Hyrm
  • Predictions:  6,128  |  64.2%
  • Forum Posts:  3,255
  • Post Score: 189

04.02.2018 | 2:37 PM ET

Prediction: Nurmagomedov  |  KO/TKO  |  Round 4

So there will be 3 155pds champs at the same time?

"Never go down without a fight"

AnAlias
AnAlias
  • Predictions:  7,888  |  63.4%
  • Forum Posts:  8,737
  • Post Score: 246

04.02.2018 | 2:40 PM ET

Nah. Dana said Tony's belt is gone. 2:30

* Edited at 04.02.2018, 2:41 PM ET *

ShakeANDBake720
ShakeANDBake720
  • Predictions:  10,115  |  65.8%
  • Forum Posts:  1,838
  • Post Score: 235

04.02.2018 | 3:14 PM ET

Mr.Stay Ready was nowhere to be seen hahaha. Willing to fight a featherweight on late notice but won't do the same for Khabib. Didn't he just say he would step in like 2 weeks ago?

"Duck, I want to sleep with my wife tonight,"

Franklin880088
Franklin880088
  • Predictions:  1,570  |  59.7%
  • Forum Posts:  3,452
  • Post Score: 120

04.02.2018 | 3:50 PM ET

Actually he was willing to do the same. Dana clearly state he never asked him and was against the idea of conor fighting on such short notice. 

* Edited at 04.02.2018, 3:51 PM ET *

"here I come to save the day"

Hyrm
Hyrm
  • Predictions:  6,128  |  64.2%
  • Forum Posts:  3,255
  • Post Score: 189

04.02.2018 | 3:59 PM ET

Prediction: Nurmagomedov  |  KO/TKO  |  Round 4

Tony belt is gone but Connor belt is not? *** is that chitt

"Never go down without a fight"

mikeyg
mikeyg
  • Predictions:  7,871  |  66.6%
  • Forum Posts:  6,232
  • Post Score: 113

04.02.2018 | 4:07 PM ET

Prediction: Nurmagomedov  |  Submission  |  Round 4

If Max pulls this off, he's #1 P4P in my book, such a bad ass for taking this fight. I can't believe first of all that Tony vs Khabib is off again but that Conor probably turned down this opportunity.
This user is suspended from posting until 4 years, 3 months, 6 days, 15 hours, and 43 minutes from now.
GreenHornet
GreenHornet
  • Predictions:  42,804  |  62.5%
  • Forum Posts:  10,325
  • Post Score: 203

04.02.2018 | 4:42 PM ET

Sucks that Tony had to pull out.  Really wanted to see him and Khabib brawl, as I believe both guys can beat McGregor.

That being said, this fight is going to be awesome.  And while my head says Nurmagomedov easily, my heart kind of wants Holloway badly to win.  The magnitude of a McGregor vs Holloway rematch would be astronomical and a real fight to sell that is competitive AND actually means something for both divisions.  Plus if you are a fan of the whole "lineal title" stuff (which is not a big thing I focus on), it would finally present the chance to unify the lineal Featherweight and Lightweight titles once and for all.  Either way, whoever wins this fight, we as fight fans win because this is the first time in a while where you can say the UFC is putting on a fight that actually means something.

"..."

mikeyg
mikeyg

04.02.2018 | 4:49 PM ET

@Green, I agree that Holloway winning does more for MMA, especially since Khabib most likely plans on moving to welterweight in the next fight or two. And if Holloway wins both belts, Conor could wriggle his way into getting both belts back if Holloway puts them both on the line!!!!
This user is suspended from posting until 4 years, 3 months, 6 days, 15 hours, and 43 minutes from now.
ImperatorFishrat
ImperatorFishrat
  • Predictions:  7,002  |  63.2%
  • Forum Posts:  14,546
  • Post Score: 236

04.02.2018 | 5:24 PM ET

I actually think Conor beating Holloway and capturing two belts with one fight would be an absolute disaster. That's if history is anything to go by. Mcgregor has literally never defended a belt. He hasn't even had a fight in MMA for two years. Imagine how much he will stymie both divisions if he beats Holloway....it will be worse than ever before. And the UFC will allow him to do it, too.

Which is why I'm hoping that Holloway doesn't pull it off. At first, I was rooting for him, but a victory for Holloway will set up the potential for probably the worst cluster**** in the history of the UFC. If Mcgregor wins, he won't defend for another two years. See, if Holloway loses, he will still have the FW belt. If Conor wants that belt back, he will have to fight Max. If Holloway wins, he will still have to fight Holloway, but he will never have to fight Khabib.That fight will never happen.

So basically, the worst outcome for us as fans is Max winning, because if that happens, Conor will be babied into two belts yet again, and the status quo will continue. That's assuming that Conor would beat Holloway and I'm not sure he would, but he's got a better chance in that one than he has of beating khabib.

* Edited at 04.02.2018, 5:25 PM ET *

This user is suspended from posting until 8 years, 11 months, 5 days, 16 hours, and 42 minutes from now.
mikeyg
mikeyg

04.02.2018 | 5:30 PM ET

Yeah a disaster that the biggest cash cow in MMA history gets a belt (or two) lol from a business perspective that's a wet dream for them to get Conor as champ again at least of one belt.
GreenHornet
GreenHornet

04.02.2018 | 5:49 PM ET

@Fishrat

Yes and no.

It's a disaster in the fact that a win over Holloway would further strengthen McGregor's grip on the company and would make it more apparent that, while Emmanuel may legally own the promotion, McGregor is the de-facto head of the UFC.  Plus, by Khabib potentially losing, you again recreate the log jam in two divisions that feels like it has gone on forever now where there doesn't need to be one.

It wouldn't be a disaster in that it is a legitimate competitive fight that the hardcore and casual fans would care about, which the UFC has been extremely lacking since 2013-14.  Like of all the fights to make, and as much as it would be better overall for Khabib to get it rather than Holloway (only so that Holloway defends against Ortega and 145 isn't in limbo again and finally seeing a long awaited fight with Khabib and Conor), I can actually live with and get behind Max vs Conor 2.  Mainly because I think Max can go in between divisions and defend both belts without much problem, whereas McGregor is "no longer capable" of cutting down. 

"..."

Thesnake101
Thesnake101
  • Predictions:  14,835  |  63.4%
  • Forum Posts:  1,007
  • Post Score: 207

04.02.2018 | 6:36 PM ET

Prediction: Nurmagomedov  |  Submission  |  Round 1

With Holloway having been nursing an injury and not training, I fully expect Khabib to get him down early and choke him out. Seems like the most likely outcome imo.

Hopefully it isn't as one sided as I'm expecting it to be.
ImperatorFishrat
ImperatorFishrat
  • Predictions:  7,002  |  63.2%
  • Forum Posts:  14,546
  • Post Score: 236

04.02.2018 | 7:12 PM ET

@Mikey a disaster for fans, but a wet dream for the promotion. I agree. But **** the promotion. I couldn't give two nobs of goat**** how much money Mcgregor makes.He's not giving me any, and I'm only in this thing for the fights. That's my only concern as a fan, and that's all I will ever be.

90% of Mcgregor fans are basically the same people who give their money to TV evangelists. They are rubes who wait for him to upload a picture of himself with his **** in the fuel tank of a Ferrar or whateveri on instagram. They are blissful about him never defending a belt, so long as he gets paid millions of dollars, and they get to see him spend it. They are imbeciles.

@Green yes, but you said it yourself; Holloway can move up or down whenever he wants. If he wants to fight Mcgregor, or vice versa, they can do it at LW at any time. No need to have two belts on the line.Let Conor take back the lightweight belt from Khabib if he can, and then let Holloway challenge him for it in a superfight.

Or just book Holloway vs Mcgregor for no reason at all. If they can make Diaz vs Mcgregor for no reason, if they can make Hendo vs Bisping for no reason, or any of the other fights seemingly made for no reason, and based on nothing, then they can make Holloway vs Mcgregor for no reason and according to no process of logic at all. That fight can still happen at any time.

Mcgregor shouldn't get to cheat the weight cut; if he wants to capture the FW belt, let him make weight. He has already been shoehorned into the easiest multiple weight title contention path in history once, and look how much of a ****show it's been in the aftermath. What did he do with that privilege other than reward the fans by not fighting, nor defending anything at all? Do we really want this to happen again? Do we want two divisions stalled for another two years? That would make 4 ******* consecutive years! That's basically a generation in MMA terms.

The long and short of it is, anybody who wants Holloway to win this is either a masochist, or isn't thinking hard enough about the implications of that. Look, I get it--I really do. I ******* love Holloway man. I hate that this fight is happening. They should have just put Alvarez, Iaquinta, or Lee in as a replacement, but they didn't because they are trying to set up another jackpot.Max is a goddamn baller and I hate the fact that I can't root for him to win, but frankly I hope he loses this fight and doesn't take too much damage in the process.

Because  if he does win, the UFC will make him fight Mcgregor at LW for the unification. No doubt about it. He will have no say in that whatsoever, and they will set up Mcgregor for the W as best they can, as they have always done.

And then, we'll never get off the merry-go-round. If Max wins, they will simply book a rubber match the same way they did with Diaz. If Conor wins, there will be no rematch. And there will be no defenses for the next two years in two divisions.

* Edited at 04.02.2018, 7:31 PM ET *

This user is suspended from posting until 8 years, 11 months, 5 days, 16 hours, and 42 minutes from now.
GreenHornet
GreenHornet

04.02.2018 | 8:32 PM ET

@Fishrat

"yes, but you said it yourself; Holloway can move up or down whenever he wants. If he wants to fight Mcgregor, or vice versa, they can do it at LW at any time. No need to have two belts on the line.Let Conor take back the lightweight belt from Khabib if he can, and then let Holloway challenge him for it in a superfight."

Well both of the physical belts wouldn't be on the line, that's crazy.  It's the uniting of title lineage that would be significant (although I think it is meaningless).  The fact of the matter is, most people (that doesn't include me) believe that no matter if Holloway or Khabib win, they won't "really be champ" because Conor got stripped and therefore is still "lineal champion" despite not holding a single physical title.  That aside, having Holloway get beaten by a non champion, even in a division up and against a world beater like Khabib, would hurt the Featherweight title a lot. It'd be better if Holloway fought McGregor after beating Ortega, but we're not given that luxury.

"Or just book Holloway vs Mcgregor for no reason at all. If they can make Diaz vs Mcgregor for no reason, if they can make Hendo vs Bisping for no reason, or any of the other fights seemingly made for no reason, and based on nothing, then they can make Holloway vs Mcgregor for no reason and according to no process of logic at all. That fight can still happen at any time."

Time out.  There is a big difference between the vanity fight of Diaz-McGregor at Welterweight and Hendo Bisping 2 for the MW title when compared to Holloway vs McGregor 2.  There have been legit rumors on Holloway making the jump up for a while now and Holloway has been on a ridiculous winning streak that has proven he is legit as they come.  Diaz got McGregor off a one fight win streak following RDA pulling out and Hendo got a shot for the MW belt because Bisping was a big ***** as champion and was ducking Whittaker and Romero like a ************.

"Mcgregor shouldn't get to cheat the weight cut; if he wants to capture the FW belt, let him make weight. He has already been shoehorned into the easiest multiple weight title contention path in history once, and look how much of a ****show it's been in the aftermath. What did he do with that privilege other than reward the fans by not fighting, nor defending anything at all? Do we really want this to happen again? Do we want two divisions stalled for another two years? That would make 4 ******* consecutive years! That's basically a generation in MMA terms."

You will get no argument from me that McGregor wasn't fast tracked to the title to start his career and that he is a chicken**** coward that wants to pad his record.  Unfortunately, that's what tends to happen when you have bean counters running the show who want profit over legitimacy, which is what Dana and the UFC have become, and a guy who, with his great promo skills, prints money like an ATM.  Conor is, for better or worse, a box office superstar and with that comes the need to cow tow to that superstar's demands.

"The long and short of it is, anybody who wants Holloway to win this is either a masochist, or isn't thinking hard enough about the implications of that. Look, I get it--I really do. I ******* love Holloway man. I hate that this fight is happening. They should have just put Alvarez, Iaquinta, or Lee in as a replacement, but they didn't because they are trying to set up another jackpot.Max is a goddamn baller and I hate the fact that I can't root for him to win, but frankly I hope he loses this fight and doesn't take too much damage in the process.

Because  if he does win, the UFC will make him fight Mcgregor at LW for the unification. No doubt about it. He will have no say in that whatsoever, and they will set up Mcgregor for the W as best they can, as they have always done.

And then, we'll never get off the merry-go-round. If Max wins, they will simply book a rubber match the same way they did with Diaz. If Conor wins, there will be no rematch. And there will be no defenses for the next two years in two divisions.""

Did you really expect anything less than an avaricious move from the UFC at this point?  They have clearly shown the hardcore fans that the whole "WE LOVE THIS FOR THE SPORT GUYS! WE AREN'T IN THIS FOR THE MONEY! WE SWEARS IT!" line Dana pushed was either all a lie or went out the window once the rumblings of the sale from Zuffa to Endeavor began to come up in 2015-16.  It's blatantly obvious that Endeavor is running the UFC like a Hollywood production than a legitimate sporting organization. That's why the old guard either left or got fired once Emmanuel bought the company, due to the conflict of the direction where the UFC was going.  Ari and Dana want casual fan dollars for short term gain at the expense of the long term health of the UFC.  Rather than building up and having a stable of stars at their disposal like they did ten years ago, they are just going to bank on Conor (and Ronda before she retired after losing) and rarely promote some other fighters here and there until McGregor retires so they can pawn the UFC off onto some other sucker.  If the UFC 207 promos that only focused on Rousey (who is a client of Endeavor) and rarely on Nunes didn't sink that in for you, then I don't know what to tell you. 

"..."

hdmexiqtioner
hdmexiqtioner
  • Predictions:  9,964  |  57.9%
  • Forum Posts:  5,398
  • Post Score: 283

04.03.2018 | 2:51 PM ET

Genuine question, if Max does pull of one of the greatest upsets in the sport's history.

Literal 6 day notice, going up in weight against an undefeated powerhouse for the title, his Second weight class title.

Does this make Max Holloway and all time great? Or at least, put him in the conversation?

"Don't argue with an idiot, they will bring you down to their level and beat you with experience." - Bark Twain

You must be signed in to reply. Sign in or register to join the discussion.

As an anonymous reader, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

• Jits Magazine : Craig Jones Announces Brand New 3 Million Dollar BJJ Tournament
  • UFC.com : UFC Welcomes Anker As Its Official Charging Partner In The Middle East And Africa
  • Jits Magazine : Mo Jassim Announces Women’s Absolute Division For ADCC 2024
  • MMA Mania : Midnight Mania: Miserable, Mean, And We Can’t Stand Her
  • MMA Mania : PFL Salt Lake City Fight Card Revealed!
  • MMA Junkie : Bogdan Guskov proud to be first Uzbekistan fighter to enter UFC rankings: 'This is my history'
  • Middle Easy : Joe Rogan Sides with Jamahal Hill in UFC 300 KO Controversy: ‘He’s Got a Point Here’
  • MMA Junkie : Victor Henry quotes Kim Kardashian after UFC on ESPN 55 bounce back from groin-shot no contest
  • MMA Mania : ‘PFL Is Not Making A Lot Of Money’
  • MMA Mania : ‘He Literally Is Always In Trouble’
  • MMAFighting.com : Beneil Dariush announced as 2024 Forrest Griffin Community Award recipient
  • UFC.com : Five Caio Borralho Fights To Watch Before UFC 301: Pantoja vs Erceg
  • Middle Easy : Jake Paul vs. Mike Tyson Will Be Sanctioned as a Professional Boxing Match
  • MMA Junkie : Tatiana Suarez confident she could impose her will against Zhang Weili: 'My grappling is very, very good'
  • MMAFighting.com : ‘UFC 301 countdown’ video
  • MMA Mania : Sorry, Bobby! ‘Baddy’ Vs. Moicano ‘Would Be Very, Very Funny’
  • UFC.com : Main Event Spotlight | UFC 301: Pantoja vs Erceg
  • MMAFighting.com : Anthony Hernandez out of UFC 302 fight with Roman Dolidze
  • Middle Easy : Francis Ngannou Shares Heartbreaking Message Following the Tragic Death of His 15-Month-Old Son
  • Middle Easy : Francis Ngannou Shares Heartbreaking Message Following the Tragic Death of His 18-Month-Old Son