Topic: Nam Phan

Nam Phan: 'Steven Seagal Is A Fraud'.

Anonymous Mode

You are not logged in to Tapology. When browsing anonymously, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

BodyModifier
BodyModifier
  • Predictions:  21  |  61.9%
  • Forum Posts:  1,608
  • Post Score: 152

10.08.2011 | 5:48 PM ET

The opinionated Phan spoke with MMAmania.com earlier this week during a guest appearance on The Verbal Submission, explaining the reasons fighting "Bad Boy" is like defusing a time bomb, fighting with your back against the wall. And he has some very harsh words for "The Lawman," Steven Seagal.

Brian Hemminger: You were originally on the undercard and then the Mike Russow / Dave Herman fight gets scrapped then Bam! you're on the main card of a big UFC pay-per-view (in a remaqtch vs Leonard Garcia at UFC 138). How does that feel to get that big bump to such an important slot?

Nam Phan: Yeah it feels pretty good. I did an interview with someone else earlier this week and they asked me, "What do I do before a fight?" and I just tell them I try to relax when I can because I'm not a main event type fighter, I'm not gonna be a part of the main event. I was on the Facebook fights and now I'm on that main card which is pretty cool.

BH: I know you mentioned one of your favorite fighters right now is Chael Sonnen so how cool is it that you're on the main card with a guy you really look up to?

NP: Oh yeah, it's definitely a very awesome experience. I get to meet him in person and from my experience when I got to meet him, he seemed like a very down to Earth guy, a gentleman and with the media or in front of the camera, he does a good job, puts on a show just like Koscheck. You guys need to meet Koscheck or Chael Sonnen in person, they're totally different guys. They're very down to Earth guys so I'm very excited to be on the same card as Chael Sonnen.

BH: What is your opinion on Stevan Seagal? I've seen you've got some pretty strong feelings on him.

NP: Great question, that's an awesome question. I think that guy's a freaking fraud man. What the heck is that? Oh God that guy pisses me off! That's my opinion. Did he teach martial arts at all? Even if he weight lifts or does sports, plays football or something, if a guy comes in a couple hours before your game or your match, you know it doesn't make a difference. This guy is saying, "I came into the back room and I taught him to kick and that made all the difference," as if Lyoto Machida and Anderson Silva didn't know how to do a front kick before meeting him. I remember watching Lyoto fighting Randy Couture and he knocks Randy Couture out with a front kick and he goes, "I'd like to thank Steven Seagal and my dad." I was like, if I was Lyoto dad, I'd freakin slap him. Like, what the heck dude, "I taught you karate since you were a little freakin' kid. I raised you, I fed you, I gave you clothes on your back and you thank this guy before me?!?! I should disown you!" Oh my God!

BH: In a perfect world, how would you like the fight to finish against Leonard Garcia?

NP: Oh man. Either a submission or a knockout, the sooner the better. Just get in, get out and go home. Please, please, if we go to the judges, I might just pull out a grenade and kill myself. That's it, I lost. (laughs).

"Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away."

Nam Phan

Photo Source:  

Fighter Details

• Given Name: Nam Si Phan
  • Pro MMA Record: 21-17-0 (Win-Loss-Draw)
  • Nickname: N/A
  • Current Streak: 3 Losses
  • Last Fight: March 11, 2017 in ACB
  • Weight Class: Featherweight | Last Weigh-In: 145.7 lbs
  • Affiliation: Paraestra Hachioji
  • Height: 5'6" (168cm) | Reach: 70.0" (178cm)
  • Career Disclosed Earnings: $176,100 USD
  • Born: Fountain Valley, California, United States
  • Fighting out of: Little Saigon, California
  • College: N/A
  • Foundation Style: Tae Kwon Do
  • Fighter Links:
  • Personal Links:

Responses

wolfmanhowl
wolfmanhowl

10.08.2011 | 5:49 PM ET

nam phan would beat SS in a MMA fight. :- }  i bet steven seagal is trying to worm his way into rashad evans new camp. lol.
FresnoMMA
FresnoMMA
  • Predictions:  56,051  |  68.6%
  • Forum Posts:  7,436
  • Post Score: 204

10.08.2011 | 5:53 PM ET

Ya it seems like Seagal is doing anything he can to stay relevant
thiagosilva9794
thiagosilva9794
  • Predictions:  5,113  |  60.4%
  • Forum Posts:  11,315
  • Post Score: 142

10.08.2011 | 5:53 PM ET

Wow, Hes pretty funny haha.

"I really feel like I'm the most dangerous guy out there" BJ Penn........... UFC on Fox 2 event winner :)

Bansheerush4tw
Bansheerush4tw
  • Predictions:  35  |  68.6%
  • Forum Posts:  66
  • Post Score: 279

10.08.2011 | 7:05 PM ET

haha nice, to bad he is right.

"The one who doesn't fall doesn't stand up."

wolfmanhowl
wolfmanhowl

10.08.2011 | 11:22 PM ET

steven seagal was in garcia's corner tonight. lol. :- }
t0rch
t0rch
  • Predictions:  5,787  |  63.2%
  • Forum Posts:  2,658
  • Post Score: 208

10.08.2011 | 11:45 PM ET

Perhaps the Chael Sonnen of 145?

"I would agree with you, but then we would both be wrong."

K1 Shields
K1 Shields
  • Predictions:  405  |  59.0%
  • Forum Posts:  692
  • Post Score: 41

10.08.2011 | 11:47 PM ET

@Torch Chael is a genius, Nam is a tool who is trying to get his name out there and hype himself up so somebody will know him besides "Ya that guy that lost on TUF 12 wasn't he on Koscheks team or something like that?"

"Anderson Silva you SUCK!!" - Chael Sonnen UFC 136.

t0rch
t0rch

10.08.2011 | 11:49 PM ET

You make about as much sense as a screen door in a submarine sometimes.

K1 Shields
K1 Shields
  • Predictions:  405  |  59.0%
  • Forum Posts:  692
  • Post Score: 41

10.08.2011 | 11:52 PM ET

@torch Here I will go to a stupid level just for a moment if it helps you out. Chael Sonnen should not even be compared to Nam Phan in any way, shape or form.

"Anderson Silva you SUCK!!" - Chael Sonnen UFC 136.

t0rch
t0rch

10.08.2011 | 11:54 PM ET

Sorry I'm not fluent in dumbass. 

thiagosilva9794
thiagosilva9794
  • Predictions:  5,113  |  60.4%
  • Forum Posts:  11,315
  • Post Score: 142

10.08.2011 | 11:57 PM ET

Oi.. stop.

"I really feel like I'm the most dangerous guy out there" BJ Penn........... UFC on Fox 2 event winner :)

xbassistdoodx
xbassistdoodx
  • Predictions:  2,546  |  56.7%
  • Forum Posts:  3,218
  • Post Score: 104

10.09.2011 | 1:15 AM ET

I agree with Phan,

Seagal probably learned that kick from Jones.

"If I have seen further than others, it is by standing on the shoulders of giants" - Isaac Newton

You must be signed in to reply. Sign in or register to join the discussion.

As an anonymous reader, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

• MMAFighting.com : Anthony Smith responds to Alex Pereira’s $50,000 challenge: ‘I’ll choke the sh*t out of him’
  • Middle Easy : UFC Legend Matt Brown Announces Retirement From MMA : ‘Not Doing it Again’
  • MMA Junkie : Steve Erceg 'devastated' by UFC 301 title fight loss: 'I blew it'
  • MMAFighting.com : Conor McGregor may be BKFC co-owner, but Mike Perry still wants that fight: ‘I am my own boss’
  • MMA Mania : Video: O’Malley Vs. Dvalishvili Booked?
  • MMA Junkie : Jack Shore's coach calls foul on shin cut stoppage at UFC 301
  • MMA Mania : ‘Let Fighters Fight!’
  • MMAFighting.com : Jon Jones reveals ‘I have a date’ for UFC return, verbal agreement in place
  • MMA Junkie : UFC 303 teaser video: Shadowy Conor McGregor paces during 'Foggy Dew'
  • MMAFighting.com : Watch insane knockout punch leave fighter flat on the canvas
  • MMAFighting.com : Watch: Conor McGregor’s return teased in spine-tingling promo ahead of UFC 303
  • MMA Junkie : Fight Tracks: The walkout songs of UFC 301 with AC/DC x 3
  • MMA Junkie : UFC 301 Promotional Guidelines Compliance pay: Jose Aldo nets $21k for potential final UFC fight
  • MMAFighting.com : Steve Erceg reacts to Alexandre Pantoja loss at UFC 301: ‘I just blew it’
  • MMA Mania : ‘I Feel Bad For Buffer’
  • MMA Mania : Biggest Winners, Loser From UFC 301
  • MMA Mania : UFC 301, The Morning After: Retirement Isn’t Real!
  • Bad Left Hook : Boxing streaming and TV schedule for May 6-11
  • Jits Magazine : Michel Pereira Lands Crazy Backflip Pass Into Controversial Submission Win At UFC 301
  • Jits Magazine : Tony Ferguson Reveals That He Has Been Offered A Grappling Match With Charles Oliveira