Topic: Patrick Cummins

Solid article on Pat Cummins, serious prospect debut on Strikeforce Prelims

Anonymous Mode

You are not logged in to Tapology. When browsing anonymously, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

Gregory
Gregory
  • Predictions:  6,817  |  63.3%
  • Forum Posts:  18,565
  • Post Score: 275

12.02.2010 | 7:55 AM ET

http://www.sherdog.com/news/articles/1/In-Cummins-the-Potter-Becomes-the-Clay-28496

Patrick Cummins physique screams “bruiser”: a former two-time NCAA All-American heavyweight wrestler, the topography of his ears has been eroded smooth. The stubble of his shaven head and beard run together. If you catch him without his front false tooth in, you might mistake him for a hockey enforcer.

But Cummins’ slice of Pennsylvania is not Broad Street. It is idyllic Reinholds, in the heart of Pennsylvania Dutch country -- the kind of quaint place where an Amish dairy farm is still a legitimate tourist attraction and where a naturally gifted grappler might end up with a simultaneous love for ceramics.

When he was vying for a national wrestling title at Penn State University, campus and local newspapers wrote about him. The narrative was always the same.

“People just can’t seem to get over that I could be sensitive artist guy and heavyweight wrestler guy,” Cummins, a fine arts major, muses. “They want to believe I’m some kind of Renaissance man, that I’m so bizarre. I don’t mind talking about it, but, really, it’s personal. I love pottery, but I don’t want to be a potter. I don’t want to produce cups and bowls. Clay is something I feel like I can develop. I’ve got a good set of skills with it.”

One struggles to imagine Cummins at a pottery wheel, but he has had a long relationship with clay. Now, he’s becoming the clay himself.

Cummins will step into the cage for the first time on the Strikeforce “Henderson vs. Babalu II” undercard on Saturday at the Scottrade Center in St. Louis, taking on unbeaten local light heavyweight Terrell Brown. The bout will stream live on Sherdog.com.

Definitely check out the full article. And if you made a pick on the Cummins/Brown fight without knowing about this guy, maybe you should reconsider your selection.

"I live, I die, I live again."

Patrick "Durkin" Cummins

Fighter Details

• Name: Patrick Cummins
  • Pro MMA Record: 10-7-0 (Win-Loss-Draw)
  • Nickname: Durkin
  • Current Streak: 3 Losses
  • Last Fight: May 18, 2019 in UFC
  • Weight Class: Light Heavyweight | Last Weigh-In: 205.2 lbs
  • Affiliation: Reign MMA
  • Height: 6'2" (188cm) | Reach: 76.0" (193cm)
  • Career Disclosed Earnings: $44,000 USD
  • Born: United States
  • Fighting out of: Dana Point, California
  • Fighter Links:
  • Personal Links:

You must be signed in to reply. Sign in or register to join the discussion.

As an anonymous reader, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

• UFC.com : Jonathan Martinez Has Momentum
  • Middle Easy : UFC 303: Conor McGregor Boldly Claims He’d Beat Charles Oliveira, Michael Chandler In Same Night
  • UFC.com : UFC 301 Embedded | All Episodes
  • MMA Junkie : Alexandre Pantoja vs. Steve Erceg prediction, pick: Is an upset looming at UFC 301?
  • MMAFighting.com : Watch Elves Brener battle through scary weight cut with Charles Oliveira for UFC 301
  • Middle Easy : Jon Jones Passes on Tom Aspinall, Eyes Historic Showdown with Alex Pereira
  • MMAFighting.com : UFC 301 weigh-in video at 5 p.m. ET
  • MMAFighting.com : Canelo vs. Mungia weigh-in results: Canelo Alvarez on weight for title defense
  • MMA Mania : LIVE! UFC 301 Ceremonial Weigh Ins!
  • MMAFighting.com : Canelo vs. Munguia weigh-in video live now
  • MMA Junkie : 'Honored' Alex Pereira loves Jon Jones fight pitch, but needs UFC green light for heavyweight shift
  • UFC.com : Ismael Bonfim Is Looking To Impress
  • MMAFighting.com : Conor McGregor warns Ryan Garcia to get his head right: ‘I’m going to smash it in with elbows if you don’t,’ Garcia responds
  • UFC.com : José Aldo: A Homecoming Fit For A King
  • MMA Junkie : UFC 301 'Embedded,' No. 5: Nightswimming deserves a quiet night with Karolina Kowalkiewicz
  • UFC.com : Iasmin Lucindo Is Ready To Start Building Her Own Legacy
  • MMA Mania : LIVE! Canelo Vs Munguia Weigh Ins!
  • MMAFighting.com : Canelo vs. Munguia weigh-in video at 3 p.m. ET
  • MMA Junkie : Jonathan Martinez questions Jose Aldo's motivation in UFC return: 'I don't think he wants to be here'
  • MMAFighting.com : Jose Aldo agreed to box on Paul vs. Tyson card before taking UFC 301 fight, interested in Manny Pacquiao match