Topic: Johnson vs. Elliott

Johnson vs. Elliott

Anonymous Mode

You are not logged in to Tapology. When browsing anonymously, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

Oddsbot
Oddsbot
  • Predictions:  8,583  |  73.8%
  • Forum Posts:  17,524
  • Post Score: 60

11.30.2016 | 11:33 PM ET

This is the official discussion thread for Johnson vs. Elliott. Let's see what you've got.

"This is the droid you're looking for."

Responses

skelliher
skelliher
  • Predictions:  5,670  |  63.4%
  • Forum Posts:  11,051
  • Post Score: 245

11.30.2016 | 11:33 PM ET

Prediction: correct Johnson   wrong Submission   wrong Round 2  

The Mouse's next victim has been revealed.

"When a game cannot be won, change the game."

mikeyg
mikeyg
  • Predictions:  7,871  |  66.6%
  • Forum Posts:  6,232
  • Post Score: 113

11.30.2016 | 11:42 PM ET

So weird there's not more TUF 24 guys on this card, are most of them getting signed? They gotta sign at least 70-80% of the flyweights on this season, flyweight needs bodies.
This user is suspended from posting until 4 years, 3 months, 1 week, 3 days, 9 hours, and 57 minutes from now.
yasdas
yasdas
  • Predictions:  2,597  |  62.5%
  • Forum Posts:  517
  • Post Score: 140

12.01.2016 | 12:07 AM ET

Prediction: correct Johnson   wrong Submission   wrong Round 3  

I'm disappointed that Elliott won this. I don't see how he can possibly win this fight.

"I must become shape" - Khabib Nurmagomedov

mikeyg
mikeyg

12.01.2016 | 1:10 AM ET

Who on the show has a better shot? I think he has the best, followed by Pantoja.
This user is suspended from posting until 4 years, 3 months, 1 week, 3 days, 9 hours, and 57 minutes from now.
dtrain24
dtrain24
  • Predictions:  11,983  |  65.8%
  • Forum Posts:  3,212
  • Post Score: 235

12.01.2016 | 1:41 AM ET

Prediction: correct Johnson   wrong KO/TKO   wrong Round 2  

@MikeyG Hey man, I'm genuinely curious: is Elliott a heart or a head pick? I respect the prediction either way. I'm just intrigued as to what you see are Elliott's keys to beating the Mouse and why he has a good shot to do so. :)

Personally, I think Demetrious is too much for him (and anyone else in the division). Not a knock on Elliott, as I like him too. But even if he's improved, he had some issues with top-10 guys that MM has already destroyed.

"His legacy is money. My legacy is smesh." -Khabib

mikeyg
mikeyg

12.01.2016 | 1:56 AM ET

@dtrain, It's more heart maybe since the last time there was a TUF tourney with a title shot, one of the biggest upsets happened over one of the most dominate champions. I think Elliot has a better chance than I ever gave Serra to beat GSP or most of MMs opponents. Tim reminds me a lot of Cruz with his movement, not as good but he's still getting better with every fight.

But I think I can justify a head pick too. I've always wanted to see Elliot go 5 rounds with any of his losses. He's got heart, great scrambling, cardio, way bigger frame than MM, threatens with chokes to sweep, wrestles well in those scrambles, he has big determination. You just can't put him away easy and I think those who think he has no shot need to think again.

I just think Elliot has a better shot than most have had against Mighty Mouse. Of course it's more likely MM just dominates en route to a decision or SUB but my first gut reaction was to go with Tim. I may change it but as of now I like his chances.
dtrain24
dtrain24
  • Predictions:  11,983  |  65.8%
  • Forum Posts:  3,212
  • Post Score: 235

12.01.2016 | 2:23 AM ET

Prediction: correct Johnson   wrong KO/TKO   wrong Round 2  

@Mikey That's fair. The whole GSP vs. Serra thing and whether lightning can strike twice seems to be a pretty big storyline heading into this bout, even before DJ's opponent was announced. That alone right there, along with DJ's title defense streak, are what really sell the fight, IMO. 

And I agree that EVERYONE has a shot in MMA. I've said it a bunch on here: the unpredictability is why I love the sport. 

That said, I'm still very confident that Mighty Mouse gets the win. I'm just torn on whether it's by T/KO or submission (leaning sub). And while an Elliott victory would make me silently go "...Wow." and surprise me as much as Holm's win over Ronda, Bisping's win over Rockhold or Dillashaw over Barao, I'll always know that he at least had a chance. 

I just think MM is too good anywhere for the division and still around his fighting prime. I'd be shocked if Elliott caught him in a sub and even more surprised if he wins a decision, as the Mouse is very good at out-pointing people. I feel like Elliott's best shot is a flash-KO....which could absolutely happen, as unlikely as it is. 

I agree that it'll be interesting to see how DJ responds to Elliott's size advantage. He's used to fighting bigger opponents, but none of them have as significant a size advantage as Elliott. 5'7" is a tall flyweight. We'll see in due time whether it's just another question that Mighty Mouse will answer, or if size is the one thing that will stump him. 

Thank you for the response, Mikey. I'll be keeping an eye out for the things you've mentioned regarding Elliott's potential strengths. You've got me even more excited for the fight now!

"His legacy is money. My legacy is smesh." -Khabib

yossgold
yossgold
  • Predictions:  67,502  |  62.2%
  • Forum Posts:  14,550
  • Post Score: 295

12.01.2016 | 3:00 AM ET

Prediction: correct Johnson   correct Decision  

I'm happy Elliott won for one reason, he belongs in the UFC and was cut because his opponents basically present the future "all time greates flyweight fighters in history" list (not that his next fight's gonna be any easier).

I hope he gets matched up properly after he loses to MM so he can at least rack up a UFC record that shows where he's at a bit better. He's way better than his soon to be 2-5 UFC record.

* Edited at 12.01.2016, 3:03 AM ET *

"Hay lohh you Mike, ay lov you Mike. Hyou say somesing like di fo me, and naw I say you ... I LOV YOU! See you som. Boy." -- Yoel Romero, UFC 205

mbach4307
mbach4307
  • Predictions:  934  |  60.1%
  • Forum Posts:  887
  • Post Score: 137

12.01.2016 | 11:10 AM ET

Prediction: correct Johnson   wrong Submission   wrong Round 1  

As much as I admire and respect mm as a mixed martial artist, I find it hard to put him in the same category as Anderson, Bones, fedor, and GSP simply because he doesn't face the same threats at his weight class as larger men do. Almost all of jones opponents since gaining the title could have knocked him out with one shot if jones didn't have a great chin and he wasn't so hard to connect on. Anderson fought vitor on trt and hendo. Both of those guys can shut the lights out on anyone. Fedor fought at Hw where a wrong turn or simply not tucking your chin for an instant is the difference between winning and staring at the lights. GSP fought well rounded killers like Carlos and Hendricks as well as Kos and Alves. Each can end the night early. Mm doesn't have to worry about that when he fights his opponents which in my opinion allows him to be free when he fights. His technique is stellar but he doesn't have the same concerns as the Hw champ. 

"Where are my shoes?"

yossgold
yossgold

12.01.2016 | 12:20 PM ET

Eh, I find it hard to get behind that. Dodson, Bagautinov, JoeB, Kyoji have enough knockouts between them to dispute that in my opinion. A wrong move against any one of them would put anyone on his back.

"Hay lohh you Mike, ay lov you Mike. Hyou say somesing like di fo me, and naw I say you ... I LOV YOU! See you som. Boy." -- Yoel Romero, UFC 205

MikeLovesTacos XD
MikeLovesTacos XD
  • Predictions:  30,326  |  59.3%
  • Forum Posts:  22,487
  • Post Score: 203

12.01.2016 | 12:22 PM ET

Prediction: correct Johnson   wrong KO/TKO   wrong Round 1  

I don't think that should matter. 

It's not his fault he's like... 5'3. He's a little guy, he doesn't have to worry about getting punched in the head by an Alistair Overeem, but that shouldn't matter. He's a small guy, and he's fighting other small guys (Dodson, *****, Bagautinov) who have serious power in their hands for that division. 

He is a ridiculously impressive fighter. In my opinion, easily #1 right now. Easily. 

I've never seen a fighter improve as much as Johnson does everytime we've seen him. Seriously. If you watch his entire flyweight run, the guy who fought Ian McCall is nowhere near the same guy who fought, let's say, Ali Bagautinov. And the guy who fought Ali Bagautinov would get crushed by the guy who fought Henry Cejudo.

His criticism for the longest time was that he wasn't a finisher. And that was one of the main reasons people thought a Jon Jones was higher up on the P4P list. Which has never made sense considering Jones hasn't finished a fight in over three years, yet DJ has finished four of his last six.

You need to just look at what he's done. In his fights with Moraga and Horiguchi, he was dominating. 95% of fighters going into the 5th round would have just cruised their way to the clean-sweep decision win. But he didn't. He finished both. Late, the latter being in LITERALLY the last second of a 25-minute fight. That is ridiculous. He knocked out Joseph Benavidez with one punch. Literally. Out cold. He had one of his tougher fights as champion vs. John Dodson, and in the rematch he completely adapted his game and dominated him. In his last fight, he dominated an Olympic gold medalist in the clinch and finished him early. 

I honestly don't think there's a better FIGHTER in the sport right now, or maybe even ever, that has the skillset Mighty Mouse has. He's fighting good competition and making them seem like they don't even belong in the UFC with how easily he's taking them out. People talk about a division being cleared out. Very seldom is a division ACTUALLY cleaned out. And that's what's happening right now at flyweight. 

Now to the Elliot fight; nothing but respect for how Elliot has earned this shot. Was cut from the UFC last year, went to titan, won their belt, went 3-0, joined the most talent-filled TUF season ever with 15 other champions and won it. Credit to him, I don't like his chances one bit, but hey, people didn't like Serra's chances vs. GSP after TUF either, I guess. 

* Edited at 12.01.2016, 12:25 PM ET *

"Why are you booing me? I am the GOAT. **** you." - Patricio "Pitbull" Freire

Meers222
Meers222
  • Predictions:  18,234  |  65.0%
  • Forum Posts:  2,587
  • Post Score: 211

12.01.2016 | 1:57 PM ET

I actually really love watching Elliott fight but just can't imagine him winning here.

"If it's not a challenge, it isn't fun enough."

poir420
poir420
  • Predictions:  143,346  |  63.0%
  • Forum Posts:  18,232
  • Post Score: 245

12.01.2016 | 2:14 PM ET

Prediction: correct Johnson   wrong Submission   wrong Round 4  

Watching this season I was thinking that they were all pretty good fights and there seemed to be some good talent but really there wasn't one guy on that show I thought would give MM any trouble at all. He keeps his belt again here.

"“All of a sudden, he was shooting for a takedown, and I’m like, ‘Oh, you’re a wrestler now? Remember, I’m the black belt in jiu-jitsu. And you’re shooting on me now? This is a wrap." - Nate Diaz"

Meers222
Meers222
  • Predictions:  18,234  |  65.0%
  • Forum Posts:  2,587
  • Post Score: 211

12.01.2016 | 2:45 PM ET

Like many I am surprised not more of the fighters from the show have been signed to the UFC. Hopefully they show up on future cards because the Flyweight division certainly needs some more talent. And at the very least this season had plenty of that. They aren't ready for MM yet, but they're good.

"If it's not a challenge, it isn't fun enough."

rappinpapsoda
rappinpapsoda
  • Predictions:  71,490  |  59.8%
  • Forum Posts:  8,601
  • Post Score: 69

12.01.2016 | 3:03 PM ET

Yes, I am also surprised there are not more FLWs in the event.

"The only thing predictable about MMA is that it is unpredictable."

mbach4307
mbach4307

12.01.2016 | 3:36 PM ET

I'm not disputing the fact that Johnson is an amazing mixed martial artist. He is easily on the short list of most improved fighters over the last few years. Technically, he is probably #1. But I just don't buy into his competition being as dangerous as the competition Jon Jones has faced for example. He fought a murderer's row from Bader through to DC. Hell, even OSP is ultra dangerous.

I'm not knocking Johnson as a fighter. All I'm saying is that the competition he has faced is not the same as the guys other champions have faced. DC was knocking out heavyweights before he dropped to 205. To me, that win is one of the greatest wins in mma history. It ranks up there with Conor's win over Aldo and Fedor's win over Big Nog and Mirko.

"Where are my shoes?"

yossgold
yossgold

12.01.2016 | 4:40 PM ET

You're gonna tell me that guys like Vitor, Chael, OSP and Bader are more dangerous on paper to Jones than Kyoji, Bagautinov, JoeB, Cejudo and Dodson were to DJ?

Vitor loses every single one of his advantages to a guy with Jones' build, Chael didn't stand a chance from the get-go, OSP too green and not evenr remotely close to the talent level of most the guys DJ defended his belt against, Bader at the time he fought Jones was strictly a wrestler who was outmatched in the only area he knew how to use.

Don't get me wrong, Jones is an amazing fighter, but I think that with DJ fighting the guys he did, the reason it looked so easy it more a statement as to how good he is than to him not having great opposition. Yeah, he's had the Moraga fight, but I think that Chael is a much easier fight for Jones than Moraga is for DJ.

On paper they've both had easier and tougher defenses and have both looked dominant (except DJ has yet to meet his Gustafsson at 125).

DC was knocking out heavyweights but he isn't even the best 205er around and to be honest has yet to beat enough real contenders to be compared to DJ. He has the potential to get there IF Jones doesn't come back, but I think he's too old to ever get into DJ's bracket.

DJ is without any doubt on the all-time, p4p greats list (and if Cruz wasn't another one of those guys he'd have also held the 135 strap too, but what can you do? When 2 of the all-time greatest fighters to ever grace the cage clash, one of the has to lose).

OutlawJoseyWales
OutlawJoseyWales
  • Predictions:  10,186  |  59.6%
  • Forum Posts:  1,392
  • Post Score: -147

12.01.2016 | 4:45 PM ET

I heard thru the g****vine that if Mighty mouse wins he will get a super fight with Cruz as long as he(Cruz) wins his next fight. I agree with that.
This user is suspended from posting until 1 year, 7 months, 3 days, 11 hours, and 27 minutes from now.
mbach4307
mbach4307

12.01.2016 | 4:49 PM ET

No I don't believe that anyone Johnson has faced is as dangerous as trtvitor. The guy was gassed out of his mind for the Jones fight. The Chael fight was a joke. There's no defending that one. But the win over DC is comparable to any win any other fighter has at any weight class. It's just my opinion. I'm not discrediting Johnson's talent or his skill. He is one of the greatest fighters I have ever watched. It's just that I don't think he faces the same dangers as the fighters at the higher weight classes do.

"Where are my shoes?"

nomeansmoney
nomeansmoney
  • Predictions:  520  |  58.7%
  • Forum Posts:  123
  • Post Score: 23

12.01.2016 | 7:53 PM ET

this is gross

and just sad

edit: this is the Tyson v Marvis Frazier of the 125 div

* Edited at 12.01.2016, 7:54 PM ET *

"Gitsum"

You must be signed in to reply. Sign in or register to join the discussion.

As an anonymous reader, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

• MMAFighting.com : Watch UFC Vegas 91 weigh-in video live now
  • UFC.com : Karine Silva Is All-Business, All-Action
  • MMA Junkie : Matheus Nicolau vs. Alex Perez prediction, pick: Which flyweight stays in contention at UFC on ESPN 55?
  • UFC.com : Jonathan Pearce: Knocking On The Door
  • MMA Mania : Coach Benched Dariush To ‘Focus On His Health’
  • UFC.com : Marnic Mann Gets Down To Business
  • Middle Easy : Anthony Smith ‘Shocked’ By How Good Sean Strickland Truly Is: ‘He Only Shows a Small Part of His Game’
  • MMA Junkie : Photos: BKFC: Knucklemania 4 pre-fight press conference
  • MMAFighting.com : Thiago Alves was basically retired until BKFC called for Mike Perry fight: ‘Money talks’
  • MMA Mania : LIVE! UFC Vegas 91 Early Weigh Ins!
  • MMA Junkie : Jose Aldo ready to trade leg kicks with Jonathan Martinez at UFC 301: 'I'm a specalist at what I do'
  • MMAFighting.com : Missed Fists: Fighter cusses out judge, tells them to quit
  • MMA Junkie : UFC champion Sean O'Malley on delay for Merab Dvalishvili title bout: 'I'm not fighting out of the country'
  • MMA Mania : BKFC ‘KnuckleMania 4’ Predictions
  • MMAFighting.com : Anthony Smith stands by Alex Pereira criticism but promises he’s not just ‘talking sh*t’ about him
  • UFC.com : Weigh-In Results | UFC Fight Night: Nicolau vs Perez
  • MMA Mania : Hunt Files To Unseal All Docs In UFC-Lesnar Lawsuit
  • MMA Junkie : Savannah Marshall signed with PFL for Claressa Shields rematch: 'The goal is to make a build-up'
  • MMA Mania : NSAC To Fine Biters, Brawlers And Diego Lopes?!?
  • MMA Mania : NAC To Fine Biters, Brawlers And Diego Lopez?!