Topic: Pettis vs. Holloway

Pettis vs. Holloway

Anonymous Mode

You are not logged in to Tapology. When browsing anonymously, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

Oddsbot
Oddsbot
  • Predictions:  8,583  |  73.8%
  • Forum Posts:  17,525
  • Post Score: 60

10.26.2016 | 4:38 PM ET

This is the official discussion thread for Pettis vs. Holloway. Let's see what you've got.

"This is the droid you're looking for."

Responses Page 3

BDiesel84
BDiesel84
  • Predictions:  4,454  |  62.3%
  • Forum Posts:  16
  • Post Score: 238

12.04.2016 | 9:48 PM ET

Prediction: wrong Pettis   wrong Decision  

I
mikeyg
mikeyg
  • Predictions:  7,871  |  66.6%
  • Forum Posts:  6,232
  • Post Score: 113

12.05.2016 | 12:27 PM ET

Prediction: correct Holloway   wrong Decision  

Now that this is 5 rounds I'm even more certain Max is going to finally be a champion.
This user is suspended from posting until 4 years, 3 months, 1 week, 3 days, 5 hours, and 44 minutes from now.
Franklin880088
Franklin880088
  • Predictions:  1,570  |  59.7%
  • Forum Posts:  3,452
  • Post Score: 120

12.05.2016 | 12:51 PM ET

Yea Holloway is a beast, and personally think he would tee Aldo up.  Think Max is the best guy at 145 right now.  I also love his confidence, and feel he one of the most genuine of all fighters. I think his confidence, is a scary thing, similarly to conor.

* Edited at 12.05.2016, 12:51 PM ET *

"here I come to save the day"

yossgold
yossgold
  • Predictions:  67,502  |  62.2%
  • Forum Posts:  14,550
  • Post Score: 295

12.06.2016 | 3:38 AM ET

Here's by 2 cents on this matchup.

Pettis looks great when he's controlling the distance. Fact. BUT ... Pettis' striking level and defense drop substantially when he's not the one controlling the distance. His combos (which he normally uses mainly to setup his kicks and not to do real damage) turn into one-punch "let me out of here" attacks (watch the RDA fight and to some extent the Melendez fight too). 

Now, since I think that due to Holloway's pressure attack, superior footwork and Pettis' tendency to backup in a stright line this will be key and leave Pettis very open to Holloway's amazing combinations. I have a feeling this will be key and that a lot of people are going to be surpised when this turns out to be the one-sided fight I think it's going to be. I don't think Pettis will have the space he needs against someone as high-level as Holloway in the footwork department and that'll hurt his game badly.

Pettis is flashy, but he has way more holes than Holloway on the feet, they just go unnoticed because what he does do well is so mesmerizing.

Also, from a confidence stand-point, I believe Holloway is coming in with "real" confidence while as Pettis, no matter what he says isn't. Pettis didn't move down, he was chased out of "his" division. Pettis was getting hurt a LOT by Oliveira (abusing those same holes I talked about in this post), and though he gave back too, I believe Holloway is leagues above Oliveira in that area and less susceptible to the stuff Pettis hurt Oliveira back with. Pettis, obviously blames the bad cut, but I believe it's way more than that and that deep down he knows it (he's a smart dude). 

Of course, Pettis has all the tools to win this fight, but I just think that Holloway rounds out as the better fighter (and more specifically THE BETTER STRIKE - yes, yes, Pettis isn't the best striker on the planet nor close to it) pre-fight and I believe it'll show.

I don't think Holloway gets the finish (though it wouldn't completely shock me if he does) because Pettis is virtually impossible to finish but I do believe Holloway decisively wins at least 4 rounds.

* Edited at 12.06.2016, 3:47 AM ET *

"Hay lohh you Mike, ay lov you Mike. Hyou say somesing like di fo me, and naw I say you ... I LOV YOU! See you som. Boy." -- Yoel Romero, UFC 205

Franklin880088
Franklin880088
  • Predictions:  1,570  |  59.7%
  • Forum Posts:  3,452
  • Post Score: 120

12.06.2016 | 4:37 AM ET

I agree Yoss with all your points.. I think Max will win this rather one sided. Pettis does scare me with his ability to end fights with body kicks and submissions. I think he a threat, but I agree that Holloway is better fighter overall. I agree he the better striker as well. I think max has a rather large advantage, when it comes to his boxing. I think his boxing is on another level then pettis.  Like you said Holloway combinations are amazing.  I think he will be overwhelming Pettis, for much of the fight. Hoping for a finish, but Pettis, is so dam tough.

* Edited at 12.06.2016, 4:39 AM ET *

"here I come to save the day"

AlexSpanBjj
AlexSpanBjj
  • Predictions:  1,328  |  62.0%
  • Forum Posts:  215
  • Post Score: 79

12.06.2016 | 5:20 AM ET

Guys, i want to place a bet for the upcoming events and would like to know your thoughs/advices on this one :

-Lewis

-Ngannou

-Anderson

-Khabilov

-Kennedy

Are they all "safe" for you ? Or would you replace some of them? I don't want to put more than 5-6 fight in my combi.

Thanks for the help (sorry but i was not able to create a specific post to ask)

rappinpapsoda
rappinpapsoda
  • Predictions:  71,490  |  59.8%
  • Forum Posts:  8,601
  • Post Score: 69

12.06.2016 | 8:01 AM ET

Alex, I don't think picking Lewis is a safe bet.

"The only thing predictable about MMA is that it is unpredictable."

AlexSpanBjj
AlexSpanBjj
  • Predictions:  1,328  |  62.0%
  • Forum Posts:  215
  • Post Score: 79

12.06.2016 | 9:13 AM ET

@rappinpapsoda How do you see this fight going? What would you put instead of Lewis? (i am thinking about Cerrone, maybe Choi (but he has not been tested yet in my opinion), or Holloway)

* Edited at 12.06.2016, 9:13 AM ET *

WastelandWanderer
WastelandWanderer
  • Predictions:  155,871  |  66.6%
  • Forum Posts:  13,491
  • Post Score: 130

12.06.2016 | 1:41 PM ET

, Max could retire happy on sat, he's already a champion in life considering his family background difficulties, an inspiration to all especially in Hawaii with the problems ( I've watched Dog The Bounty Hunter ) Pettis is a great man too and his brother, great pillars for their community too, opening multiple martial art schools there

* Edited at 12.06.2016, 5:02 PM ET *

"I am the greatest blonde man in the world. I am Tru Viking." - Alexander Gustaffsson / "The world must bow to my glory. I am a God amongst mortals. They must pay me tribute in wine and concubine for my deeds." - Jon Jones "

yossgold
yossgold

12.07.2016 | 5:57 AM ET

If Anthony Pettis messes with this me and him are gonna have some words:

"Hay lohh you Mike, ay lov you Mike. Hyou say somesing like di fo me, and naw I say you ... I LOV YOU! See you som. Boy." -- Yoel Romero, UFC 205

rappinpapsoda
rappinpapsoda

12.08.2016 | 8:08 AM ET

Great streak there. I think Pettis has this one, though. He will not be bullied around like in his other losses.

SpiderSilvaUFC
SpiderSilvaUFC
  • Predictions:  2,301  |  60.0%
  • Forum Posts:  9
  • Post Score: 200

12.10.2016 | 3:06 AM ET

This card is nothing but heavy favorites, not a fun card to pick for tbh.

"In this world you either Crank That Soulja Boy, or it cranks you."

PilloryChoke
PilloryChoke
  • Predictions:  31,980  |  64.3%
  • Forum Posts:  2,972
  • Post Score: 195

12.10.2016 | 3:25 AM ET

This is 2016, some of these heavy favorites almost certainly will lose, especially after all the favorites won in Albany. You could also consider Letourneau and Khabilov missing weight, or Mein coming back from an almost 2 year retirement...

"When Conor fought Cowboy, he looked like a lion. When he fights stronger opponents, he looks like a scared chicken." - Khabib

rappinpapsoda
rappinpapsoda

12.10.2016 | 5:03 AM ET

Upsets make the sport from going stale.

WastelandWanderer
WastelandWanderer

12.10.2016 | 4:58 PM ET

Pettis has enjoyed and pleasured himself for too long. The MMA gods must seek tribute. Please MMA gods let Holloway punish and finish Anthony emphatically for his pleasuring and excessive partying / beer drinking / chasing low quality hookers at sleazy clubs  ( spare Sergio )

"I am the greatest blonde man in the world. I am Tru Viking." - Alexander Gustaffsson / "The world must bow to my glory. I am a God amongst mortals. They must pay me tribute in wine and concubine for my deeds." - Jon Jones "

rappinpapsoda
rappinpapsoda

12.11.2016 | 7:02 AM ET

Oh how the opinions have changed about Pettis. Just 2 years ago some people thought he was the PFP champ.

Huiop532
Huiop532
  • Predictions:  9,220  |  58.3%
  • Forum Posts:  1,534
  • Post Score: 206

12.11.2016 | 9:08 AM ET

I just think it's funny how you think Pettis is this amazing fighter, yet you think that Conor sucks because all you have to do is have "decent wrestling" to beat him. But yet, that's one of the many weaknesses of Pettis...

But that's none of my business.
yossgold
yossgold

12.11.2016 | 10:48 AM ET

@rappinpap, people who thought he was p4p champ are people who were star struck by a couple of liver kicks and don't know enough to see his holes.

Pettis is still a great fighter but he has two glaring holes in his game:

1. He's not THAT hard to put on his back and though he has a VERY good guard, most top level guys can hold him down without getting caught.

2. He's got no answer for pressure fighters. 

These make him very prone to stylistic matchups being his make-or-break. For instance, I'd actually give him a good chance against someone like Aldo who likes to hang at a distance and attack in spurts while as guys like RDA, Conor, Holloway who take away his space and force him to react rather than act are nightmare matchups for him even striking (and that's even without going into the Guida, Wrestling-Alvarez or every single mediocre+ grinder on the 155 roster who are the more known Pettis Kryptonite).

People went into autopilot on Pettis declaring him this amazing striker and if striking solely involved throwing hands and legs I'd be the first to agree. But striking is a lot more than that. He lacks quite a lot of the fundamentals (I have a feeling it's because he came from a Tae Kwon Do base and was always so good he never felt the need to actually learn them properly) and his defense under pressure tends to fail him time and again.

PilloryChoke
PilloryChoke
  • Predictions:  31,980  |  64.3%
  • Forum Posts:  2,972
  • Post Score: 195

12.11.2016 | 2:06 PM ET

Who actually thought Pettis was a #1 P4P contender besides the UFC, who like to say that about all their champions even though some are clearly better than others?

"When Conor fought Cowboy, he looked like a lion. When he fights stronger opponents, he looks like a scared chicken." - Khabib

WastelandWanderer
WastelandWanderer

01.21.2017 | 4:51 PM ET

Anthony 'The Millwaukee Playboy' Pimp face ( let's hit the club yall dish out that average beer n' tequila shots and cheap ho's ( fast forward 2 months 》 "by unanimous beat down .... MAX. . BLESSED" ......

let's hit the club gang crank out that crystal and swaggy velvet cushion   

( really sorry for my classlessness but cmon. .. your in a postition to inspire and  enthrall masses .. don't crunk it out with cheap hookers crappy alcohol in some swaggy dump of a club and then show up looking like Andy Warhol  

* Edited at 01.21.2017, 5:04 PM ET *

Page 3

You must be signed in to reply. Sign in or register to join the discussion.

As an anonymous reader, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

• Jits Magazine : PGF World Season 6: Best Of Day 4
  • Bad Left Hook : Tellez vs Jackson: Live discussion, 8 pm ET
  • Middle Easy : Max Holloway Is Just Getting Started Following His Epic BMF Title Win at UFC 300: ‘I’m a Young Man’
  • MMA Junkie : Michael Bisping warns Islam Makhachev of 'sniper' Leon Edwards: 'Be careful what you wish for'
  • MMA Mania : Officer ‘Bad Boy’ Reporting For Duty!
  • MMAFighting.com : Heck of a Morning: Does the UFC hosting more events on the road mean APEX cards will soon end?
  • MMA Junkie : UFC on ESPN 55 ceremonial weigh-in faceoff highlights video, photo gallery
  • Jits Magazine : Free Fight Friday: Declan Moody vs Anton Minenko
  • UFC.com : Bogdan Guskov Wants To Establish Himself As A Contender
  • MMA Mania : Face Off! Nicolau Stares Down Perez At APEX!
  • UFC.com : UFC 5 Brings Gamers Closer To The Action Than Ever
  • MMAFighting.com : UFC Vegas 91 weigh-in results: 2 fighters miss weight
  • MMA Junkie : NAC withholds earnings from two UFC 300 winners; hearings scheduled
  • Middle Easy : Kayla Harrison Turned Down a Clash with Ketlen Vieira at UFC 303: ‘Stop Running and Sign the Contract’
  • MMA Junkie : UFC on ESPN 55 weigh-in results: Two fighters heavy – including 2.5-pound miss
  • MMA Junkie : UFC on ESPN 55 weigh-in results and live video stream
  • Middle Easy : Ali Abdelaziz Reveals ‘Crazy’ Story Behind Getting Justin Gaethje an Extra 150k for Fighting Tony Ferguson
  • MMA Junkie : UFC on ESPN 55 video: Matheus Nicolau, Alex Perez make weight in Las Vegas
  • MMAFighting.com : Watch UFC Vegas 91 weigh-in video live now
  • MMA Junkie : Ketlen Vieira claims she was offered Kayla Harrison for UFC 303: 'She has to stop running'