Topic: Pettis vs. Holloway

Pettis vs. Holloway

Anonymous Mode

You are not logged in to Tapology. When browsing anonymously, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

Oddsbot
Oddsbot
  • Predictions:  8,583  |  73.8%
  • Forum Posts:  17,534
  • Post Score: 60

10.26.2016 | 4:38 PM ET

This is the official discussion thread for Pettis vs. Holloway. Let's see what you've got.

"This is the droid you're looking for."

Responses

skelliher
skelliher
  • Predictions:  5,670  |  63.4%
  • Forum Posts:  11,051
  • Post Score: 245

10.26.2016 | 4:38 PM ET

Prediction: correct Holloway   wrong Decision  

Holloway is getting a little screwed on the rankings front, but this is an amazing match-up on paper.

"When a game cannot be won, change the game."

Franklin880088
Franklin880088
  • Predictions:  1,570  |  59.7%
  • Forum Posts:  3,452
  • Post Score: 120

10.26.2016 | 4:50 PM ET

Holloway is getting ******, hard here to be honest.  One of the hardest match up in the division for him and who ranked way below him and who does absolutely nothing for Holloway ranking wises or title shot wise. This is after Holloway already deserved a title shot, two fights ago.  Honestly, I find this almost shameful how much whining people will do for Aldo, but not dam person says anything about how much Holloway continues to get ****** over by the UFC. He by far been the most ****** over of any fighter in terms of title shots in UFC history. 

* Edited at 10.26.2016, 4:55 PM ET *

"here I come to save the day"

MikeLovesTacos XD
MikeLovesTacos XD
  • Predictions:  30,326  |  59.3%
  • Forum Posts:  22,487
  • Post Score: 203

10.26.2016 | 4:55 PM ET

Prediction: correct Holloway   correct KO/TKO   wrong Round 1  

Love the fight. 

Would be cool if one more actually important fight got booked for this card. I was one of many who got tickets really, really strongly assuming that GSP would return here. And if we can't get that. I'd like there to be more than like.. 3 fights that actually matter in terms of titles/rankings. 

"Why are you booing me? I am the GOAT. **** you." - Patricio "Pitbull" Freire

rappinpapsoda
rappinpapsoda
  • Predictions:  71,490  |  59.8%
  • Forum Posts:  8,601
  • Post Score: 69

10.26.2016 | 4:58 PM ET

Prediction: wrong Pettis   wrong Decision  

Great fight.

"The only thing predictable about MMA is that it is unpredictable."

unbeknownst
unbeknownst
  • Predictions:  5,020  |  63.2%
  • Forum Posts:  1,679
  • Post Score: 208

10.26.2016 | 7:14 PM ET

In an ironic twist, they should strip Aldo of his interim title and make this fight for the new interim 145 belt. 

"I wanted to meet interesting and stimulating people of an ancient culture, and kill them."

StreamFan68
StreamFan68
  • Predictions:  1,730  |  58.2%
  • Forum Posts:  193
  • Post Score: -66

10.27.2016 | 12:36 AM ET

@unbeknownst

Prediction: wrong Pettis   wrong Submission   wrong Round 4  

I think actually the winner of this will get Aldo.... Aldo and Pettis have made NO secret about wanting to fight each other very much since there missed event in WEC days... I am going with Pettis in this one... 

"“And tell Dana I said get off Conor’s nuts”....(Nate Diaz) "

PilloryChoke
PilloryChoke
  • Predictions:  31,981  |  64.3%
  • Forum Posts:  2,972
  • Post Score: 195

10.27.2016 | 3:31 AM ET

Great fight but I feel for Holloway here. At this rate, if he ever gets a title shot and wins, there will be nobody to challenge him.

"When Conor fought Cowboy, he looked like a lion. When he fights stronger opponents, he looks like a scared chicken." - Khabib

yossgold
yossgold
  • Predictions:  67,502  |  62.2%
  • Forum Posts:  14,550
  • Post Score: 295

10.27.2016 | 3:34 AM ET

I don't think Holloway's getting screwed. If he wanted to wait, he could and he'd get the shot. Holloway wanted the fight. He always picks fight over wait.

Since the whole Aldo thing is going down and Holloway wanting to have a fight to gear up to I'm pretty sure this was more Holloway's doing than the UFC's.

The way I think it went down was, Holloway got on their case to get a fight with Aldo (because he WANTS to fight once more vefore the calendar year is done, he's said so multiple times), he even got on Aldo on social media a bit to try and lure him in, the UFC said "listen, Aldo's tricky right now, how about a fight with Pettis?" and Holloway said the only thing Holloway ever says when he's offered a fight.

It's crazy to think that if he wins this (and I think he will) he's going to be on a 10(!!!) fight win streak! With half of them being against top shelf opponents.

I REALLY hope he wins this fight. Would be heartbreaking to see him lose a step at this point. I want him to win this and kick off 2017 with a WAY MORE than earned title shot (would rather it be Aldo because I think he has a better chance of beating him that he does Conor - styles n' ****).

"Hay lohh you Mike, ay lov you Mike. Hyou say somesing like di fo me, and naw I say you ... I LOV YOU! See you som. Boy." -- Yoel Romero, UFC 205

erickjhonson
erickjhonson
  • Predictions:  1  |  100.0%
  • Forum Posts:  58
  • Post Score: -16

10.27.2016 | 7:39 AM ET

This user is suspended from posting until 2 years, 7 months, 2 weeks, 4 days, 9 hours, and 2 minutes from now.
Franklin880088
Franklin880088

10.27.2016 | 11:23 PM ET

@ Yoss.

Though I agree with much of what you said, unless there evidence that he was offered a title shot, I feel like you are giving the UFC a huge benefit of the doubt, assuming they offered Max a shot and he wanted to fight sooner. I believe he wanted to fight sooner, but I highly doubt they offered him a shot. They have not even hinted at offering him a shot.  I think Max new, his best chance of getting the shot is beating Pettis. If Pettis fought someone else and looked impressive, Max knows how the UFC operates, they would have had Pettis jumped over him.  I don't believe they offered Max a shot at all, which is why he wants to fight so soon, if he not getting a title shot, he might as well fight.  This idea, that Max could wait and get a title shot, I believe is giving the UFC way to much credit.  

* Edited at 10.27.2016, 11:27 PM ET *

Franklin880088
Franklin880088

10.27.2016 | 11:29 PM ET

Also on a side note, Max last 5 wins where all top 10 ranked fighters when he beat them. 3 of which where top 5, when he defeated them.  That is pretty crazy.

yossgold
yossgold

10.28.2016 | 3:41 AM ET

I guess ... but the UFC are just as ****** as he is by this situation.

I bet they can't wait to get UFC 205 over with so they can finally have Conor in a division. Any division. If he loses, they'll have more pull over him to keep him at 145. If he wins, he stays at 155.

Then they either resolve **** with Aldo, promote him to undisputed champ and switch Holloway (or Pettis, because as you said, that's how they work) to fight Aldo for the title or let Aldo marinate until he comes back to them (he will, because I'm 100% sure this is a negotiation tactic on his part, not real retirement talk) and promote the Holloway vs. Pettis fight to a vacant title fight.

One thing's for sure, sadly Aldo doesn't have the pull he thinks he may have on the UFC brass and the division's thick enough for them to not cave into what he wants. Also, I think him not being straight forward about it and saying it's about money rather than going the "I don't fight for money, I want respect" route makes it a bit tougher for him. Now he needs to dance around **** and will look bad when/if he comes back with nothing more than a higher pay and says everything's cool again.

The UFC only respect PPV buys and Aldo doesn't bring them in. That's going to make it much easier for them to **** him around.

"Hay lohh you Mike, ay lov you Mike. Hyou say somesing like di fo me, and naw I say you ... I LOV YOU! See you som. Boy." -- Yoel Romero, UFC 205

Bigj383
Bigj383
  • Predictions:  8,546  |  63.8%
  • Forum Posts:  5,417
  • Post Score: 187

10.28.2016 | 11:07 AM ET

Prediction: correct Holloway   correct KO/TKO   wrong Round 4  

Max Holloway was calling for Aldo to defend the interim title against him, now that doesn’t mean UFC offoered Holloway the fight if Aldo agreed to it. What we have in this fight were the two most likely fighters that would have received a shot at Aldo and the Interim title now facing eachother. Which sucks for the UFC because now they have two FW champs neither of which will defend the damn title. Conor because he moved up and has spent the last year fighting outside the weight class. Aldo because he refuses to fight anyone but Conor. The whole point of having an interim title was to get the whole division moving again. In some divisions this wouldn't be a problem, like HW or FlyW where there is a lack of contenders but at FW there are plenty and both these champs sitting on belts has caused a pile up.

"It does not make sense that humans deliberately malfunction. - Upgrade"

mikeyg
mikeyg
  • Predictions:  7,871  |  66.6%
  • Forum Posts:  6,232
  • Post Score: 113

10.28.2016 | 3:32 PM ET

A lot of people are to blame for this weird situation at featherweight.

1) The UFC, gives Conor whatever the **** he wants, I think they're most to blame.

2) Conor, wants to do whatever he wants, whenever he wants, and holds up the division.

3) Aldo, refuses to defend his title against Max and wants to leave when he doesn't get his way.

I can see the arguments for and against Max getting screwed here. On one hand he doesn't seem to be bothered by getting titles but seems to just want to fight. And on the other hand he clearly deserves a shot at either McGregor or Aldo and since McGregor is getting his way again, Aldo vs Max was the fight to make and seemingly Aldo is only thinking about Conor. If anything that's the more troubling thing than any other weirdness, that Aldo wants to quit MMA because Conor is on a quest to make history with two title simultaneously. However, I feel for him, and the Diaz fights, especially the rematch probably shouldn't have happened in the grand scheme of the division and legitimacy of the belt. 
This user is suspended from posting until 4 years, 3 months, 1 week, 2 days, 23 hours, and 8 minutes from now.
unbeknownst
unbeknownst

10.28.2016 | 7:40 PM ET

No fighters are to blame for the situation at featherweight. Conor is trying to make the most money that he possibly can, while building his legacy. It's not up to him to manage the division. It's up to the UFC. They should be putting ultimatums on their champs. No one should sit here and think that Conor should be making decisions based on what's best for Aldo or Holloway.

"I wanted to meet interesting and stimulating people of an ancient culture, and kill them."

rappinpapsoda
rappinpapsoda

10.28.2016 | 8:54 PM ET

Max has had 8 wins in a,row so he deserves a shot. I have the feeling he loses this one, though.

yossgold
yossgold

10.29.2016 | 2:05 AM ET

9, but who's counting ;)

rappinpapsoda
rappinpapsoda

10.29.2016 | 2:13 PM ET

My bad.

Bigj383
Bigj383
  • Predictions:  8,546  |  63.8%
  • Forum Posts:  5,417
  • Post Score: 187

10.29.2016 | 5:37 PM ET

Prediction: correct Holloway   correct KO/TKO   wrong Round 4  

@Unbeknownst You can't say no fighter is to blame for the situation at FW. Conor is fighting in other divisions something Champs like Anderson Silva and BJ Penn have done before. Leaving the title on hold. UFC respomded by making an Interim title which Aldo won now Aldo has refused to defend the interim title which is the whole point of creating one. So UFC can do what strip Conor for not defending the title when it hasn't even been a year. Aldo went more than a year without defending on two seperate occasions, so UFC can't justify stripping Conor when they let fighters like Cruz and Aldo remain champ far longer without a defense especially considering Conor is actually fighting. As for Aldo he is just sitting in the belt holding it hostage. What recourse does UFC have, All they can do is strip Aldo of the interim title for saying he is out of the fight game.

UFC is in a damned if you do damned if you don't situation. While two fighters and mainly Aldo could could simply remedy the situation by accepting a fight with Halloway so yes a lot of the blame lands on the fighters.

* Edited at 10.29.2016, 5:39 PM ET *

"It does not make sense that humans deliberately malfunction. - Upgrade"

unbeknownst
unbeknownst

10.29.2016 | 5:46 PM ET

Again, the UFC can offer both Aldo and McGregor each bouts to defend their titles. If either refuse they're well in their rights to strip them of their title.

It's the UFC choosing to push pause on the featherweight title.

You must be signed in to reply. Sign in or register to join the discussion.

As an anonymous reader, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

• MMA Junkie : Video: LFA's Kendra McIntyre ragdoll KOs opponent with absolutely vicious head kick
  • MMA Mania : Staredowns! ‘Platinum’ Has Fiery Exchange With Alves
  • MMAFighting.com : BKFC KnuckleMania 4 weigh-in video, results
  • MMA Junkie : Anthony Smith on Alex Pereira: 'Given the opportunity, we both would jump on it'
  • MMA Mania : LIVE! BKFC ‘KnuckleMania 4’ Official Weigh Ins Video!
  • MMA Junkie : Video: BKFC KnuckleMania 4 ceremonial weigh-ins live stream
  • MMA Junkie : Video: BKFC KnuckleMania 4 ceremonial weigh-ins live stream (9 p.m. ET)
  • Middle Easy : Max Holloway Recalls Justin Gaethje’s ‘Vibranium’ Leg Kicks: ‘This Guy Kick Hard As Sh*t’
  • MMA Junkie : Vanessa Demopoulos prepared to get used to familiarity with UFC opponents like Emily Ducote
  • MMAFighting.com : BKFC KnuckleMania 4 weigh-in video at 9 p.m. ET
  • MMA Mania : Aldo Hoping For McGregor ‘Of Old’ At UFC 303
  • Bad Left Hook : Esparza loses three belts on scale
  • Bad Left Hook : Spence reportedly in ligation with former trainer over unpaid fees
  • Bad Left Hook : Errol Spence reportedly in ligation with trainer Derrick James over unpaid fees
  • MMA Junkie : Why Chael Sonnen thinks Tom Aspinall potentially facing Ciryl Gane at UFC 304 is a big risk
  • MMA Mania : ‘Crazy’ Stalker Sneaks Into UFC PI, Claims Ribas Is His ‘Wife’
  • MMAFighting.com : Hailey Cowan reveals nasty leg break, Tamires Vidal gets replacement for UFC Vegas 92 fight
  • MMA Junkie : Arman Tsarukyan: Michael Chandler 'never uses his brain,' has to knock out Conor McGregor early to win
  • MMA Mania : UFC Vegas 91: 20 Fun Tidbits, Facts And Storylines
  • MMAFighting.com : Max Holloway confirms Justin Gaethje should’ve been credited for UFC 300 knockdown: ‘That’s some bullsh*t’