Topic: Pettis vs. Holloway

Pettis vs. Holloway

Anonymous Mode

You are not logged in to Tapology. When browsing anonymously, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

Oddsbot
Oddsbot
  • Predictions:  8,574  |  73.8%
  • Forum Posts:  17,523
  • Post Score: 60

10.26.2016 | 4:38 PM ET

This is the official discussion thread for Pettis vs. Holloway. Let's see what you've got.

"This is the droid you're looking for."

Responses Page 2

Bigj383
Bigj383
  • Predictions:  8,546  |  63.8%
  • Forum Posts:  5,417
  • Post Score: 187

10.29.2016 | 6:29 PM ET

Prediction: correct Holloway   correct KO/TKO   wrong Round 4  

What would the fan reaction be if UFC stripped Aldo? McGregor is already in a champion vs champion bout that has been marketed that is part of the selling angle. Stripping him would be stupid especially consider past precedent. If Conor wins he has said he will relinquish one of the belts. Of course it breaks the lineage any time a belt is relinquished or stripped, devaluing it. The best option for the UFC is to strip Aldo but then fans will call UFC a bully and cry that they haven't stripped Conor when doing so is in many ways is unwarranted not to mention bad for business.

Regularly stripping titles is bad for business, it's bad for the prestige of title, and it's bad for the fighters. The UFC would first have to sway general public perception first and that would mean making Aldo look like he's ducking Halloway.

"It does not make sense that humans deliberately malfunction. - Upgrade"

yossgold
yossgold
  • Predictions:  67,502  |  62.2%
  • Forum Posts:  14,550
  • Post Score: 295

10.30.2016 | 3:44 AM ET

Prediction: correct Holloway   wrong Decision  

@Bigj, you're missing his point completely

"Hay lohh you Mike, ay lov you Mike. Hyou say somesing like di fo me, and naw I say you ... I LOV YOU! See you som. Boy." -- Yoel Romero, UFC 205

GreenHornet
GreenHornet
  • Predictions:  42,804  |  62.5%
  • Forum Posts:  10,325
  • Post Score: 203

10.30.2016 | 4:44 AM ET

If Conor loses to Alvarez, he is the one who needs to get stripped.  I know it will never happen, but I mean come on.  He, not Aldo, is the one responsible for the MASSIVE contender log jam at 145.  Furthermore, this also falls on the shoulders of Dana for being a spineless, sackless coward that allows McGregor to make him, and the UFC, Conor's *****.  Meanwhile, Dana keeps double crossing fighters left and right with blown promises for title fights and such (except the one ******* guy that didn't deserve it in the first place).  He had to expect that someone with the ego that a Jose Aldo has was going to do something like this in response to the ridiculous ****show the UFC has created at 145. 

A ****show, BTW, that could have been avoided if Dana wasn't such a ***** when it came to dealing with McGregor.

"..."

mulefloyd
mulefloyd
  • Predictions:  15,476  |  63.0%
  • Forum Posts:  8,786
  • Post Score: 180

10.30.2016 | 9:16 AM ET

Prediction: wrong Pettis   wrong Submission   wrong Round 3  

Massive logjam? Holloway. That's it. Who else? 

Aldo? lost by KO in 13 seconds. Am I interested in a rematch? Yes. Does he deserve one? Maybe but he would be far more deserving if he had taken a matchup with Holloway.

Edgar just lost to Aldo so the ONLY fighter who is even remotely being "screwed over", Max, is young and has already lost to the champion. Just more biased Conor hate. The division is still exciting and producing young prospects but none who need an immediate title shot so bad that anyone should be stripped of a title.

"Grammar. The difference between knowing your **** and knowing you're ****."

yossgold
yossgold

10.30.2016 | 10:22 AM ET

lol! True xD 

* Edited at 10.30.2016, 10:22 AM ET *

"Hay lohh you Mike, ay lov you Mike. Hyou say somesing like di fo me, and naw I say you ... I LOV YOU! See you som. Boy." -- Yoel Romero, UFC 205

WastelandWanderer
WastelandWanderer
  • Predictions:  155,871  |  66.6%
  • Forum Posts:  13,491
  • Post Score: 130

10.30.2016 | 12:37 PM ET

showburned?

"I am the greatest blonde man in the world. I am Tru Viking." - Alexander Gustaffsson / "The world must bow to my glory. I am a God amongst mortals. They must pay me tribute in wine and concubine for my deeds." - Jon Jones "

mikeyg
mikeyg
  • Predictions:  7,871  |  66.6%
  • Forum Posts:  6,232
  • Post Score: 113

10.30.2016 | 12:37 PM ET

@unbeknownst - Well with all due respect, I think there is a logjam in the division and I see that as an issue. And yes, there are people to blame for this issue at 145.

* Edited at 10.30.2016, 12:41 PM ET *

This user is suspended from posting until 4 years, 3 months, 1 week, 5 days, 17 hours, and 39 minutes from now.
rappinpapsoda
rappinpapsoda
  • Predictions:  71,490  |  59.8%
  • Forum Posts:  8,601
  • Post Score: 69

10.30.2016 | 1:32 PM ET

Prediction: wrong Pettis   wrong Decision  

Favoritism caused the logjam. It is as simple as that. It makes perfect business sense but the UFC treats and makes most casual fans think it legit.  Anyone knows that a wrestler with enough preparation will destroy McGregor. That is why the UFC avoids them at 145.

"The only thing predictable about MMA is that it is unpredictable."

Franklin880088
Franklin880088
  • Predictions:  1,570  |  59.7%
  • Forum Posts:  3,452
  • Post Score: 120

10.30.2016 | 5:20 PM ET

@rappin
Do you ever think before you speak?  So the UFC/Conor were trying to avoid wrestlers, so they had conor fight Chad on two weeks ******* notice?  Then tried to set up a fight with Dos Anjos at Light Weight, but there scared of Conor fighting wrestlers at 145?  Honestly use your ******* head, this **** is getting so old.  Do you understand how pathetic you sound with this repeated nonsense you spew in regards to anything related to conor? 

* Edited at 10.30.2016, 5:32 PM ET *

"here I come to save the day"

Franklin880088
Franklin880088

10.30.2016 | 5:27 PM ET

@Mule

Max deserves a title shot. immediately. I really don't see how anyone can say he does not.  He has literally the best resume ever of any contender in UFC history. Name single fighter who UFC resume was as good as Holloway before getting a title shot? Now, I actually have no issue with Conor fighting at LW and making history, but Holloway clearly deserves an immediate title shot. I believe the UFC should strip Aldo, if he not willing to fight and let Holloway fight someone for the interim belt.  Which in all honesty, will likely be the real belt, since I have a feeling, Conor will never fight at 145 again due to the weight cut.

* Edited at 10.30.2016, 5:31 PM ET *

Lewis_ENG
Lewis_ENG
  • Predictions:  77  |  57.1%
  • Forum Posts:  69
  • Post Score: -186

11.20.2016 | 10:38 PM ET

Prediction: correct Holloway   correct KO/TKO   wrong Round 2  

Pettis is from the biggest alcohol consuming state in America. USADA should do him in on it. He drank it away like McLooser the Leprauchan

"After all is said and done, more is said than done." Aesop

skelliher
skelliher
  • Predictions:  5,670  |  63.4%
  • Forum Posts:  11,051
  • Post Score: 245

11.26.2016 | 4:28 PM ET

Fight is now the main event and will be for the meaningless Interim title ... which is ridiculous, since Aldo is uninjured and will be promoted to the Undisputed champ. 

Cool. 

"When a game cannot be won, change the game."

thiagosilva9794
thiagosilva9794
  • Predictions:  5,113  |  60.4%
  • Forum Posts:  11,315
  • Post Score: 142

11.26.2016 | 5:48 PM ET

Just making it a title fight since the card has no main event I guess, Seems weird. Has it been confirmed skelliher or not yet? At least 145 will no longer be held up.

"I really feel like I'm the most dangerous guy out there" BJ Penn........... UFC on Fox 2 event winner :)

StreamFan68
StreamFan68
  • Predictions:  1,730  |  58.2%
  • Forum Posts:  193
  • Post Score: -66

11.27.2016 | 2:05 AM ET

Prediction: wrong Pettis   wrong Submission   wrong Round 4  

Aldo legitimately and beat Frankie Edgar for the interim title... The definition of an interim title holder is to step in and take the place of the division champion in cases EXACTLY like this... Nobody GAVE Aldo anything... He merely stepped up/moved up due to Conor's unwillingness to defend the belt in a sufficient time period and the UFC's policy of not holding two belts. Conors momentus victory was a personal victory and nothing else and was GREAT for the promotion...

Now that the dust has settled its back to business.. Aldo will and should fight the interim title holder..whom we do not have at moment so we have a fight at 206 to determine that. Its just THAT simple.. People can throw in this and that but its very very easy to comprehend... 

"“And tell Dana I said get off Conor’s nuts”....(Nate Diaz) "

yossgold
yossgold

11.27.2016 | 7:04 AM ET

There's absolutely zero reason to make this an interim title fighter barring two I can think of (neither legit reasons from a fan's perspective):

1. Aldo talks are at a stalemate and they want to pressure him (because it's pretty obvious what he wants is more money and not the reasons he stated).

2. They're dumb enough to think that with so many fake belts the "champion vs. champion" or "interim title fight" taglines still sell more than what this fight would sell anyway (which is "meh" at best given Pettis' lackluster selling power even at the height of his popularity and the fact that Holloway is a hard-cores exclusive commodity as of now).

This should've just been a title shot eliminator to fight the now undisputed champ Aldo to kick off 2017.

* Edited at 11.27.2016, 9:09 AM ET *

rappinpapsoda
rappinpapsoda

11.27.2016 | 9:31 AM ET

Sticking it to Aldo. 

buffalo ben
buffalo ben
  • Predictions:  3,705  |  58.2%
  • Forum Posts:  6,348
  • Post Score: 157

11.27.2016 | 1:47 PM ET

That rant wasnt smple at all. Nor did it make much sense. Aldo would be ibterin champion and the winner of this fight would aso be....interim... Champion?

"You don't have to be perfect, just dont be fraudulant"

yasdas
yasdas
  • Predictions:  2,597  |  62.5%
  • Forum Posts:  517
  • Post Score: 140

11.27.2016 | 3:06 PM ET

Prediction: correct Holloway   correct KO/TKO   wrong Round 4  

Pettis is diminished by the weight cut, and I think Holloway has a more well-rounded striking game. I expect him to win a comfortable UD.

"I must become shape" - Khabib Nurmagomedov

rappinpapsoda
rappinpapsoda

11.28.2016 | 7:43 AM ET

Hopefully Pettis wins. I would love to see him against Aldo later on.

Franklin880088
Franklin880088

11.28.2016 | 10:49 AM ET

How is this sticking it to aldo?  

Page 2

You must be signed in to reply. Sign in or register to join the discussion.

As an anonymous reader, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

• Middle Easy : ‘MMA Media Hates Me,’ Ronda Rousey Reacts To Career Backlash & ‘How Happily Everybody Turned’ On UFC Star
  • MMA Mania : Midnight Mania: It PAYS To Be King
  • Middle Easy : Ryan Garcia Reveals His ‘Crazy’ Behavior Was a Publicity Stunt Planned Months in Advance
  • MMA Mania : ‘99.9%’ Chance Edwards Vs. Muhammad 2 Happens At UFC 304
  • MMA Junkie : The 10 largest UFC attendances in history
  • MMA Mania : ‘MMA Media Hates Me, It’s Fine’
  • Middle Easy : Jiri Prochazka Doubles Down On Callout For Alex Pereira Rematch At UFC 301: ‘I Think I Deserve It’
  • Middle Easy : Ryan Garcia Goes Off On Logan Paul For Child Trafficking Comments, Claims He Will ‘Destroy’ Paul In Boxing Match
  • MMA Junkie : Max Holloway's coach breaks down matchup against 'oversized bantamweight' Ilia Topuria
  • MMAFighting.com : Lyoto Machida ‘already breathing fire’ after Luke Rockhold callout, interested in Karate Combat rematch
  • MMA Mania : ‘It’s Crazy That Something Like This Is Happening At This Level’
  • MMA Junkie : Islam Makhachev's coach: 'Biggest threat' Justin Gaethje no longer in UFC title picture
  • Bad Left Hook : ‘Whoever wants to fight Ryan, he feels comfortable at 144’: De La Hoya talks next steps for Garcia
  • Bad Left Hook : ‘Whoever wants to fight Ryan, he feels comfortable at 144’: Oscar De La Hoya talks next steps for Ryan Garcia
  • MMA Mania : Double Champ Islam Next? ‘I Already Beat All These Guys’
  • MMAFighting.com : Justin Gaethje: It’ll be ‘6 months, at least, before I get back to taking shots’ after UFC 300 loss
  • MMA Junkie : Manon Fiorot open to Maycee Barber fight – but only if interim UFC flyweight title at stake
  • MMA Junkie : Arman Tsarukyan fires back at Michael Chandler: 'You are just waiting for a paycheck'
  • MMAFighting.com : Islam Makhachev not interested in Max Holloway matchup: ‘Maybe if he wins his next fight’
  • Bad Left Hook : PODCAST: How much credit does Ryan Garcia deserve for beating Devin Haney?