Topic: Site Features & Issues

Question to Tapology: What is the Future of Tapology's Forums?

Anonymous Mode

You are not logged in to Tapology. When browsing anonymously, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

GreenHornet
GreenHornet
  • Predictions:  42,804  |  62.5%
  • Forum Posts:  10,325
  • Post Score: 203

04.21.2016 | 3:19 AM ET

I'm making this thread, not to try and troll, but because I feel it is a necessary question to ask.  I was talking with some people who frequent this forum and we noticed that there is a lack of an aura of fun on the forum.  Sure the site itself is growing and the viewing threads are entertaining, but as far as the forum as a whole goes, it doesn't feel like it is as lively like it was when I first started posting regularly.  There isn't many forum games anymore (especially with the long hiatus to BLC).  There isn't any goofy fun threads to just post in.  A lot of the weird characters that used to create mischief are gone or banned.  It feels vacant and is making the forum part of the site feel rather dull, because we as users have nothing fun to do.

I guess my question is: what can we do to make this place more exciting and more compelling to post on?

And as an additional question: is there any new features you as mods can add that would add some interest?

"..."

Responses

mikeyg
mikeyg
  • Predictions:  7,871  |  66.6%
  • Forum Posts:  6,232
  • Post Score: 113

04.21.2016 | 3:56 AM ET

If I had criticisms of tapology it'd be the following. With all due respect, I like this site...

1) The forums are not structured properly like other forum sites, like into a news section, an off topic section, MMA games here on tapology section and other sections that help you navigate to the subject that you want to comment on. Some people tell me it's "cleaner" that way but I think it just looks more scrambled and less engaging to post on when it's only a bunch of random subjects on the main page. Most MMA forum sites can get a lot more traffic when things are more organized, like with Sherdog, the cesspool of MMA forums has structure of topics in their forums and it benefits the site more with structure.

2) Yes, the amount of games here has seemingly decreased or at least interest has decreased, now I'm not a frequent gamer on this site, but I want to be, however it does feel like the vibe of MMA games on here has dwindled and there should be a separate sub-forum for MMA side games for this site so more people know that these games exist. I've been on here since 2011 and I only know of a few games on here that struck my attention, or games on here that even interested me at first glance, but if I had checked out the section for MMA games on here I may have checked it out further.

3) One of my biggest criticisms of this site, with all due respect, is that there is no PM system, people have tried to send me things on my personal page but there is no notification that I have gotten a new message and I always forget about it, so I almost never check my page. If there was a PM function that showed you had a message, the word of whatever needed to get out would get out faster and more efficiency. Or if I had something I wanted to bring up with a mod, I can't just PM them quick like any other site, I have to write it on their page and hope they actually read it, or make a thread about it that may or not be seen by a mod. It's a cluster**** and I think at least tapology should think about a PM system

* Edited at 04.21.2016, 4:05 AM ET *

This user is suspended from posting until 4 years, 3 months, 1 week, 3 days, 6 hours, and 3 minutes from now.
Anaconda_Choke
Anaconda_Choke
  • Predictions:  643  |  59.7%
  • Forum Posts:  310
  • Post Score: 266

04.21.2016 | 4:00 AM ET

#FreeCthulhuJones
This user is suspended from posting until 1 year, 11 months, 3 weeks, 6 days, 1 hour, and 20 minutes from now.
Nomad
Nomad
  • Predictions:  3,465  |  66.3%
  • Forum Posts:  5,117
  • Post Score: 181

04.21.2016 | 5:12 AM ET

• Step 1. Clone Nomad as many times as needed. 
  • Step 2. Perfect forum. 

"If I have a goal, then it is to escape from this literalism. I'll never achieve it; in the same way that I'll never manage to describe what really dwells within my character, although I keep on trying."

poir420
poir420
  • Predictions:  143,346  |  63.0%
  • Forum Posts:  18,232
  • Post Score: 245

04.21.2016 | 7:13 AM ET

The Tapology Wagering League is still going strong!!

"“All of a sudden, he was shooting for a takedown, and I’m like, ‘Oh, you’re a wrestler now? Remember, I’m the black belt in jiu-jitsu. And you’re shooting on me now? This is a wrap." - Nate Diaz"

loudenSwain
loudenSwain
  • Predictions:  15,071  |  63.0%
  • Forum Posts:  6,313
  • Post Score: 283

04.21.2016 | 8:48 AM ET

Twitter and other quick social media has hurt many forums. 

"This is Prize-Fighting, IDGAF about your family or your problems - MassaBruce"

poir420
poir420

04.21.2016 | 9:11 AM ET

@Mikey There is an option to receive and email when you get a comment on your page. Unless it's broken you can check it off under preferences.

"“All of a sudden, he was shooting for a takedown, and I’m like, ‘Oh, you’re a wrestler now? Remember, I’m the black belt in jiu-jitsu. And you’re shooting on me now? This is a wrap." - Nate Diaz"

DontBeScaredHomie
DontBeScaredHomie
  • Predictions:  44,107  |  58.3%
  • Forum Posts:  2,217
  • Post Score: 279

04.21.2016 | 12:51 PM ET

Yeah its been like 800 years since the last BLC!

"Ohhhhhhhh ****! Look at that door, dude. See that door there? The one marked "Pirate"? You think a pirate lives in there?"

Kuma
Kuma
  • Predictions:  40,025  |  67.3%
  • Forum Posts:  2,845
  • Post Score: 210

04.21.2016 | 1:13 PM ET

I want to do the Streetfights again.I have had a couple surgery's lately,yesterday being my last one,so I have been down for the count.Before that I had an issue with something going on here that I didn't like but that's all set now.I have only done 5 or 6 weekend events this year for those same reasons.I hope to start again in a few weeks with the Streetfights,hopefully people will still be interested.

It would be nice to have some help like when shot2thesac was helping me,but I fear his wife might have him chained up in the basement ........again,or she possibly poisoned his kimchi and dak-bulgogi.It would be nice to play in a BLC again,and if needed I could put in some help with whatever.Also,I know alienator13 has in depth game we have been talking about for a few months similar to BLC but a single player base.He's been quite busy though,so i'm not sure if he wants to get that going but if he did i'll be working with him on it,and if he's still kinda busy maybe a few others could help out too.

I'd love to see something start up again,if there's nothing really in place then it's a good possibility Streetfights will start again,but it kind of hinges on me getting some help because it's hard to do it myself.Also,there wasn't always too many players,and it slowed even more,so between that and my issues and shot2thesac leaving it fizzled a bit.Either way,i'd like to see something start again also.Also,no disrespect to the people that run tapology they do a great job and put in tons of effort,but I personally agree with @mikeyg but I still appreciate this site very much how it is now.I would like to see a lot of those changes,especially a pm system but I do understand all of that would be a giant undertaking.

Follow The Money
Follow The Money
  • Predictions:  5,951  |  61.7%
  • Forum Posts:  2,031
  • Post Score: 150

04.21.2016 | 1:15 PM ET

BLC.
poir420
poir420

04.21.2016 | 1:25 PM ET

BLT!

GreenHornet
GreenHornet

04.21.2016 | 3:43 PM ET

@mikeyg

I agree with everything you just said.  I'd also wonder about the possibility of doing non-MMA games.

"..."

dirtytomflint
dirtytomflint
  • Predictions:  2,794  |  62.3%
  • Forum Posts:  26
  • Post Score: 165

04.21.2016 | 4:40 PM ET

I'm new around here and would certainly like to see more opportunities to be active on the forums.
OutlawJoseyWales
OutlawJoseyWales
  • Predictions:  10,186  |  59.6%
  • Forum Posts:  1,392
  • Post Score: -147

04.21.2016 | 4:50 PM ET

actually mr hornet its people like you who ruined the forums for people like me. so plese down arrow me again for whatever i did to you. unless you are jesse holland or one of his dweebs on mma mania.  plus i have been told that there are 17 mma sites bigger than tapology. i did not even know there were that many mma sites around. i can name about a dozen. somebody please list these `17 sites in order that have more traffic than tapology. poir and myself are the original OG's of this game. 5 years  + for me. i think close to 6 years for poir. if it was not for poir's and mine wagering game i would never even come on here.

* Edited at 04.21.2016, 4:52 PM ET *

This user is suspended from posting until 1 year, 7 months, 3 days, 7 hours, and 33 minutes from now.
Follow The Money
Follow The Money

04.21.2016 | 4:58 PM ET

I'm the one that told you that, why wouldn't you just ask me for the link to it? It's based on traffic.
Follow The Money
Follow The Money

04.21.2016 | 5:01 PM ET

OutlawJoseyWales
OutlawJoseyWales
  • Predictions:  10,186  |  59.6%
  • Forum Posts:  1,392
  • Post Score: -147

04.21.2016 | 5:02 PM ET

well put it in this thread so everyone can see it. i remember it was you who told me. i just want every1 else to see it. thanks.

holy ****. mma mania gets 3.1 million. i have not heard of about 5 of those sites. in 2008 i was the king of mma mania. then it turned on me in 2010. someone who was a bigshot on here had a problem with my nick diaz post and he went ballistic. he must of been a jeremy "the scorpion" jackson fan. JJ is serving 25 years in prison too. lol.

* Edited at 04.21.2016, 5:07 PM ET *

This user is suspended from posting until 1 year, 7 months, 3 days, 7 hours, and 33 minutes from now.
skelliher
skelliher
  • Predictions:  5,670  |  63.4%
  • Forum Posts:  11,051

04.21.2016 | 5:06 PM ET

Well, Greg would be the guy to give clear answers, but I will say we read these topics and pay attention to community requests. 

On the subject of bans, we very, very rarely ban members, and when we do, it's usually after close to 10 offenses for the same thing over and over and over. 

The Forum lives and breathes on its activity. If you're not posting often, you're not contributing. Interact with new members as well. Makes it feel less like an exclusive, tight-knit club.

"When a game cannot be won, change the game."

mikeyg
mikeyg
  • Predictions:  7,871  |  66.6%
  • Forum Posts:  6,232
  • Post Score: 113

04.21.2016 | 5:08 PM ET

@poir, it seems like a waste to have a notification show up elsewhere instead of just the site itself, seems rather redundant when a little sidebar with a PM box could tell you that you had mail.
This user is suspended from posting until 4 years, 3 months, 1 week, 3 days, 6 hours, and 3 minutes from now.
unbeknownst
unbeknownst
  • Predictions:  5,020  |  63.2%
  • Forum Posts:  1,679
  • Post Score: 208

04.21.2016 | 5:10 PM ET

I know for me, not being able to properly quote someone to keep a particular discussion alive can be discouraging in continuing to post in a thread.

Sometimes I won't be able to check a thread for several hours when I'm at work, so when I get home and see an interesting comment on a thread if it's not the one of the latest comments I won't bother to respond to it because there's really no context at that point in the thread to pick that wavelength up again and keep it going. 

"I wanted to meet interesting and stimulating people of an ancient culture, and kill them."

GreenHornet
GreenHornet

04.21.2016 | 5:11 PM ET

@OutlawJoseyWales 

I downvote your posts because you are an insane person who, with your old account, had a mental breakdown over Asian girls and weed posts and quit the site as a result.  Don't blame me for your insane, nonsensical posts you silly goose.

"..."

You must be signed in to reply. Sign in or register to join the discussion.

As an anonymous reader, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

• Jits Magazine : PGF World Season 6: Best Of Day 4
  • Bad Left Hook : Tellez vs Jackson: Live discussion, 8 pm ET
  • Middle Easy : Max Holloway Is Just Getting Started Following His Epic BMF Title Win at UFC 300: ‘I’m a Young Man’
  • MMA Junkie : Michael Bisping warns Islam Makhachev of 'sniper' Leon Edwards: 'Be careful what you wish for'
  • MMA Mania : Officer ‘Bad Boy’ Reporting For Duty!
  • MMAFighting.com : Heck of a Morning: Does the UFC hosting more events on the road mean APEX cards will soon end?
  • MMA Junkie : UFC on ESPN 55 ceremonial weigh-in faceoff highlights video, photo gallery
  • Jits Magazine : Free Fight Friday: Declan Moody vs Anton Minenko
  • UFC.com : Bogdan Guskov Wants To Establish Himself As A Contender
  • MMA Mania : Face Off! Nicolau Stares Down Perez At APEX!
  • UFC.com : UFC 5 Brings Gamers Closer To The Action Than Ever
  • MMAFighting.com : UFC Vegas 91 weigh-in results: 2 fighters miss weight
  • MMA Junkie : NAC withholds earnings from two UFC 300 winners; hearings scheduled
  • Middle Easy : Kayla Harrison Turned Down a Clash with Ketlen Vieira at UFC 303: ‘Stop Running and Sign the Contract’
  • MMA Junkie : UFC on ESPN 55 weigh-in results: Two fighters heavy – including 2.5-pound miss
  • MMA Junkie : UFC on ESPN 55 weigh-in results and live video stream
  • Middle Easy : Ali Abdelaziz Reveals ‘Crazy’ Story Behind Getting Justin Gaethje an Extra 150k for Fighting Tony Ferguson
  • MMA Junkie : UFC on ESPN 55 video: Matheus Nicolau, Alex Perez make weight in Las Vegas
  • MMAFighting.com : Watch UFC Vegas 91 weigh-in video live now
  • MMA Junkie : Ketlen Vieira claims she was offered Kayla Harrison for UFC 303: 'She has to stop running'