Topic: Chris Leben

Chris Leben facing severe heart condition; will likely never fight again

Anonymous Mode

You are not logged in to Tapology. When browsing anonymously, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

Kinsalsa
Kinsalsa
  • Predictions:  360  |  63.3%
  • Forum Posts:  1,772
  • Post Score: 129

03.08.2016 | 6:38 PM ET

Chris Leben was discovered to have a heart condition that could be life threatening and will likely not fight again. Hopefully, he recovers from this and can have a healthy life. Below is the press release by his management:

MMA LEGEND Chris Leben FACING life-threatening HEART CONDITION
In early February of this year, UFC veteran Chris "The Crippler" Leben Announced he was coming out of retirement to compete for Bellator MMA. As part of the signing process, and in preparation for a potential running match-up, Leben underwent a battery of medical tests. Unfortunately, These tests have revealed a serious condition in his heart. As a result, the slugger and fan favorite will likely never compete again. Concerns were first raised When Leben failed Several ECG tests During his physical examinations. He was then directed to take an echocardiogram, a sonogram of the heart. This Analysis Showed a life-threatening abnormality. The left ventricle of his heart is oversized, misshapen and is not operating properly. Doctors estimate That the bloodflow through ice heart is only 18% of what is Considered normal. Immediately Doctor Prescribed a combination of drugs, Which They hope will preventable a catastrophic cardiac event. As of now, the prognosis is mixed: one doctor believes he That Should be Considered for a heart transplant, while another doctor hopes That medication and a healthy lifestyle will reverse some of the damage overtime. Doctors suspect that this serious ailment is due in large part to the fighter's notorious hard living. Leben has suffered from extreme opiate addiction, alcoholism, and medical and psychological issues throughout his life. His recently released autobiography, The Crippler: Cage Fighting and My Life on the Edge, details the acute challenges That he has faced Both inside and outside of the cage. Leben's health issues are not the only obstacle ahead of him. Unable to earn a living as a fighter, and faced with mounting medical bills, his financial situation is dire. Leben is making ends meet as a part-time coach at The Arena MMA gym in San Diego and is studying to earn a real estate sales license, Which he will hang at Keller Williams East County near San Diego. Leben overpriced hopes to leverage his many life lessons for the benefit of others. He plans to devote time to communicating with young people and the MMA community about the dangers of drug use and about how to cope with addiction. That Leben says he is grateful to the fans, friends and family that have been there for him throughout his life and career. He will continue to fight the good fight, and has confidence That strict dedication to nutrition and wellness will allow him to succeed in this battle. Leben asks anyone who wants to support him to Consider purchasing a signed copy of his autobiography at his online store ( https://chrisleben.ecwid.com ).

* Edited at 03.08.2016, 6:41 PM ET *

"Endings are sad, beginnings are scary...but it's the middle that counts."

Chris "The Crippler" Leben

Fighter Details

• Given Name: Christian Cyrus Leben
  • Pro MMA Record: 21-12-0 (Win-Loss-Draw)
  • Nickname: The Crippler
  • Current Streak: 4 Losses
  • Last Fight: December 28, 2013 in UFC
  • Weight Class: Middleweight | Last Weigh-In: 185.5 lbs
  • Affiliation: Arena Gym
  • Height: 5'11" (181cm) | Reach: 70.5" (179cm)
  • Career Disclosed Earnings: $889,000 USD
  • Born: Portland, Oregon, United States
  • Fighting out of: Oahu, Hawaii
  • Fighter Links:
  • Personal Links:

Responses

Follow The Money
Follow The Money
  • Predictions:  5,951  |  61.7%
  • Forum Posts:  2,031
  • Post Score: 150

03.08.2016 | 7:05 PM ET

This was obvious in the Hall fight.
GreenHornet
GreenHornet
  • Predictions:  42,804  |  62.5%
  • Forum Posts:  10,325
  • Post Score: 203

03.08.2016 | 7:09 PM ET

Holy ****.  Hope Leben is okay.

"..."

PilloryChoke
PilloryChoke
  • Predictions:  31,992  |  64.3%
  • Forum Posts:  2,972
  • Post Score: 195

03.08.2016 | 7:44 PM ET

That sucks but it's interesting to think...Leben wanting to fight again sounded like a terrible idea but without those medical tests he might not have been discovered to have these issues with his heart. Hope he manages to get healthy again one way or another.

"When Conor fought Cowboy, he looked like a lion. When he fights stronger opponents, he looks like a scared chicken." - Khabib

mikeyg
mikeyg
  • Predictions:  7,871  |  66.6%
  • Forum Posts:  6,232
  • Post Score: 113

03.08.2016 | 8:15 PM ET

Horrible news for him, to me it's obvious he shouldn't fight again and I hope he doesn't.
This user is suspended from posting until 4 years, 3 months, 1 week, 2 days, 11 hours, and 9 minutes from now.
rappinpapsoda
rappinpapsoda
  • Predictions:  71,490  |  59.8%
  • Forum Posts:  8,601
  • Post Score: 69

03.09.2016 | 7:23 AM ET

He was always entertaining to watch.

"The only thing predictable about MMA is that it is unpredictable."

WastelandWanderer
WastelandWanderer
  • Predictions:  155,871  |  66.6%
  • Forum Posts:  13,491
  • Post Score: 130

03.09.2016 | 11:46 AM ET

Favorite Leben moments ; Chris Leben vs Terry Martin 
                                               Chris Leben vs Sexiyama
                                                Chris Leben vs Wanderlei "roid rage" Silva

"I am the greatest blonde man in the world. I am Tru Viking." - Alexander Gustaffsson / "The world must bow to my glory. I am a God amongst mortals. They must pay me tribute in wine and concubine for my deeds." - Jon Jones "

AnAlias
AnAlias
  • Predictions:  7,888  |  63.4%
  • Forum Posts:  8,737
  • Post Score: 246

03.09.2016 | 11:57 AM ET

I hope for the best for Chris. Hopefully he finds a way to make money and keep his life together without fighting. 
WastelandWanderer
WastelandWanderer
  • Predictions:  155,871  |  66.6%
  • Forum Posts:  13,491
  • Post Score: 130

03.10.2016 | 3:58 AM ET

Chris leben book signed copies available limited time

"I am the greatest blonde man in the world. I am Tru Viking." - Alexander Gustaffsson / "The world must bow to my glory. I am a God amongst mortals. They must pay me tribute in wine and concubine for my deeds." - Jon Jones "

You must be signed in to reply. Sign in or register to join the discussion.

As an anonymous reader, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

• UFC.com : Official Scorecards | UFC Fight Night: Nicolau vs Perez
  • UFC.com : Main Card Results | UFC Fight Night: Nicolau vs Perez
  • UFC.com : Prelim Results | UFC Fight Night: Nicolau vs Perez
  • MMA Junkie : Tim Means vs. Uros Medic prediction, pick, start time, odds for UFC on ESPN 55
  • Middle Easy : Tito Ortiz ‘Incredibly Honored’ To Be Sworn In As Honorary Sheriff In Florida
  • MMA Junkie : Jonathan Pearce vs. David Onama prediction, pick, start time, odds for UFC on ESPN 55
  • MMA Junkie : Jhonata Diniz vs. Austen Lane prediction, pick, start time, odds for UFC on ESPN 55
  • MMAFighting.com : Mike Perry appreciates he’s the A-side now in all his fights, but still wants biggest names possible
  • MMA Mania : KnuckleMania 4 Start Time, Fight Card Details
  • MMA Junkie : Karine Silva vs. Ariane da Silva prediction, pick, start time, odds for UFC on ESPN 55
  • MMA Junkie : Ryan Spann vs. Bogdan Guskov prediction, pick, start time, odds for UFC on ESPN 55
  • MMA Mania : Is This The Most Violent KO In WMMA History?
  • MMAFighting.com : UFC Vegas 91 predictions
  • MMA Mania : Nicolau Vs. Perez Betting Odds, Breakdown, Prediction
  • Bad Left Hook : McGrail vs Leach: Live discussion, 2 pm ET
  • MMA Junkie : UFC on ESPN 55 play-by-play and live results (4 p.m. ET)
  • MMA Mania : LIVE! BKFC KnuckleMania 4 Results, Streaming Play-By-Play Updates TONIGHT
  • Bad Left Hook : Ramirez vs Barthelemy: Live updates and results, 8 pm ET
  • MMA Mania : BKFC KnuckleMania 4, live stream, play-by-play and results
  • MMA Mania : LIVE! UFC Vegas 91 Results, Streaming Updates TONIGHT!