Topic: Soa Palelei

Soa Palelei banned from visting kids in hospital for charity

Anonymous Mode

You are not logged in to Tapology. When browsing anonymously, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

Griffy
Griffy
  • Predictions:  38,656  |  61.5%
  • Forum Posts:  2,503
  • Post Score: 297

10.05.2015 | 3:23 PM ET

You read that right, the Princess Margaret Hospital, in Western Australia has banned Palelei from visiting sick kids at the hospital, even though he and retired rugby player - Matt Fuller, have already raised $46,000 for said kids.

Due to the fact that cage fighting in Western Australia is banned. Palelei is obviously very disappointed and hurt by this; on top of this charity, he is a Make a Wish Foundation ambassador. He also understands what a lot of these children are going through, as his son suffers from absence epilepsy.

A spokesperson from the hospital had this to say, "Following the significant media coverage of controversy surrounding UFC and 'cage' fighting, which is currently banned in Western Australia, a decision was made by the Princess Margaret Hospital Executive that it would not be appropriate to have a representative of the sport visit the hospital. Princess Margaret Hospital has a duty of care to its patients, their families and staff. With many people in the community having very strong views about this particular sport, due to its perceived level of violence, executive staff felt this was the best decision at the time."

The Western Australia Sports and Recreation Minister; Mia Davies, commented on the decision, saying "The state government does not support the use of a fenced enclosure for Mixed Martial Arts (MMA) contests, believing it is not in the best interests of the wider community to endorse or encourage participation of fighting in a 'cage."

This is beyond ignorant. Palelei isn't asking to put on some sort of charity fight in a cage, he just wants to visits children in the hospital, but because of his occupation he is not allowed to.

Article

"I think Gayffy suits you better, because you are gay." - Nomad

Soa "The Hulk" Palelei

Photo Source:  

Fighter Details

• Name: Soa Palelei
  • Pro MMA Record: 23-5-0 (Win-Loss-Draw)
  • Nickname: The Hulk
  • Current Streak: 1 Loss
  • Last Fight: August 01, 2015 in UFC
  • Weight Class: Heavyweight | Last Weigh-In: 264.0 lbs
  • Affiliation: Team Hulk
  • Height: 6'4" (194cm) | Reach: 81.0" (206cm)
  • Career Disclosed Earnings: $57,000 USD
  • Born: Newcastle, New South Wales, Australia
  • Fighting out of: Perth, Western Australia, Australia
  • Fighter Links:
  • Personal Links:

Responses

CthulhuJones
CthulhuJones
  • Predictions:  40,133  |  60.1%
  • Forum Posts:  9,674
  • Post Score: 286

10.05.2015 | 3:44 PM ET

What an absolute ******* joke. You'll take the money he made from participating in a banned sport, but you won't let him visit the children he raised money for? That hospital should be ashamed of themselves.
This user is suspended from posting until 1 year, 5 months, 2 weeks, 12 hours, and 45 minutes from now.
Follow The Money
Follow The Money
  • Predictions:  5,951  |  61.7%
  • Forum Posts:  2,031
  • Post Score: 150

10.05.2015 | 4:11 PM ET

Haha I thought he was taking the money from the kids.
rappinpapsoda
rappinpapsoda
  • Predictions:  71,503  |  59.8%
  • Forum Posts:  8,601
  • Post Score: 69

10.05.2015 | 4:35 PM ET

Stupid reason.

"The only thing predictable about MMA is that it is unpredictable."

yossgold
yossgold
  • Predictions:  67,528  |  62.2%
  • Forum Posts:  14,550
  • Post Score: 295

10.05.2015 | 5:37 PM ET

@Cthulhu, it's even stupider than that. The sport of MMA isn't banned in Western Australia, doing it in a cage is (they have legal MMA in boxing rings). So because Soa does that thing that's ******* legal but he does in a cage, not over there where it's illegal, but somewhere else where it is legal, they don't let him visit the kids he's raising money for.

This is most definitely one of the worse cases of idiocracy I've seen in my life. And the thing is that they're actually risking the kid's benifit too. No one would Blame Soa for saying "well **** this, I'll take my charity elsewhere" and they'd lose tens of thousand of dollars for those kids (he's already raised 40 something thousand if I remember correctly). I don't think Soa will do that, he seems like he's the bigger man (in more ways than one) but it's no thanks to the decision makers in that hospital who literally have their heads so far up their asses they can chew their food again.

* Edited at 10.05.2015, 5:40 PM ET *

"Hay lohh you Mike, ay lov you Mike. Hyou say somesing like di fo me, and naw I say you ... I LOV YOU! See you som. Boy." -- Yoel Romero, UFC 205

CthulhuJones
CthulhuJones
  • Predictions:  40,133  |  60.1%
  • Forum Posts:  9,674
  • Post Score: 286

10.05.2015 | 5:42 PM ET

He's a bad example for them. He's a cage fighter...who also happens to have helped raise over 40k for sick children, is part of the make a wish foundation, and wants to visit sick children. They can't risk any of those sick children viewing him as a role model, even though he's a perfect example of one, seeing as how I don't recall ever seeing any negative **** on Soa. I don't think he's ever been caught using PEDs, nor do I think he's ever had any run ins with the law. I feel sorry for the kids that don't get to meet him due to overly PC ********.
This user is suspended from posting until 1 year, 5 months, 2 weeks, 12 hours, and 45 minutes from now.
yossgold
yossgold
  • Predictions:  67,528  |  62.2%
  • Forum Posts:  14,550
  • Post Score: 295

10.05.2015 | 5:49 PM ET

Well, I can understand them, everyone knows that MMA in a ring is way less violent than MMA in a cage. 

Can't have them vicious cage fighters influencing our kids.

* Edited at 10.05.2015, 5:50 PM ET *

"Hay lohh you Mike, ay lov you Mike. Hyou say somesing like di fo me, and naw I say you ... I LOV YOU! See you som. Boy." -- Yoel Romero, UFC 205

unbeknownst
unbeknownst
  • Predictions:  5,020  |  63.2%
  • Forum Posts:  1,679
  • Post Score: 208

10.05.2015 | 8:32 PM ET

They just don't want these terminally ill children growing up to be cage fighters. Makes perfect sense.

"I wanted to meet interesting and stimulating people of an ancient culture, and kill them."

4whotsk
4whotsk
  • Predictions:  30,642  |  61.1%
  • Forum Posts:  224
  • Post Score: 261

10.05.2015 | 10:48 PM ET

God forbid any of these kids get inspired and grow up to be a professional athlete.

"get some!"

GreenHornet
GreenHornet
  • Predictions:  42,804  |  62.5%
  • Forum Posts:  10,325
  • Post Score: 203

10.05.2015 | 10:52 PM ET

**** the Western Australian government.  They really take exception to Palelei, after doing a wonderful humanitarian act for kids with cancer, showing up at a hospital in that region of the country because he is an MMA fighter? 

So ******* stupid.

"..."

You must be signed in to reply. Sign in or register to join the discussion.

As an anonymous reader, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

• Bad Left Hook : Boxing streaming and TV schedule for May 6-11
  • Jits Magazine : Michel Pereira Lands Crazy Backflip Pass Into Controversial Submission Win At UFC 301
  • Jits Magazine : Tony Ferguson Reveals That He Has Been Offered A Grappling Match With Charles Oliveira
  • MMA Mania : Alvarez Clowned De La Hoya After Win
  • MMAFighting.com : UFC 301 post-fight show: Reaction to Alexandre Pantoja’s scare, Jose Aldo’s big return
  • MMA Mania : UFC 303 Gets ‘Foggy’ Teaser Trailer
  • Middle Easy : Canelo Alvarez vs. Jaime Munguia: Canelo Dominates in Unanimous Decision Victory [Video Highlights]
  • MMA Mania : Video: Canelo Mocks Benavidez After Beating Munguia
  • MMA Mania : ‘I Have A Date, I’ll Let Boss Man Dana Announce That’
  • MMA Mania : De La Hoya Reacts To Canelo Beating Munguia
  • MMAFighting.com : UFC 301 bonuses: Michel Pereira snags extra $50,000 for monster finish of Ihor Potieria
  • MMAFighting.com : UFC 302 bonuses: Michel Pereira snags extra $50,000 for monster finish of Ihor Potieria
  • UFC.com : Bonus Coverage | UFC 301: Pantoja vs Erceg
  • MMA Mania : Bonuses! Back-Flipping Pereira Banks $50K
  • MMA Mania : UFC 301 PPV Results, Streaming Updates
  • MMA Junkie : UFC 301 results: Alexandre Pantoja ekes by Steve Erceg to retain title in thrilling five-round battle
  • MMAFighting.com : Canelo Alvarez vs. Jaime Munguia full fight video highlights
  • MMA Junkie : UFC 301 bonuses: The Force is $50,000 strong with Mauricio Ruffy
  • MMA Junkie : Canelo Alvarez drops, beats overmatched Jaime Munguia to retain 168-pound title
  • MMA Mania : Resurgent Aldo Teases Second Run At UFC Title