Topic: Silva vs. Diaz

Silva vs. Diaz

Anonymous Mode

You are not logged in to Tapology. When browsing anonymously, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

Oddsbot
Oddsbot
  • Predictions:  8,582  |  73.8%
  • Forum Posts:  17,524
  • Post Score: 60

07.29.2014 | 6:07 PM ET

This is the official discussion thread for Silva vs. Diaz. Let's see what you've got.

"This is the droid you're looking for."

Responses Page 6

CthulhuJones
CthulhuJones
  • Predictions:  40,133  |  60.1%
  • Forum Posts:  9,674
  • Post Score: 286

12.09.2014 | 5:14 AM ET

Prediction: Diaz  |  KO/TKO  |  Round 2

I honestly think Nick wins this fight. Anderson is almost 40 years old, and coming back from being knocked out, and a catastrophic injury. His once iron chin has left him as proven by Chris in the first and second fight. Both will have ring rust as Anderson has been out for over a year, and Nick almost 2 years. The difference I think will be that Nick does crazy **** like triathlons, swims from Alcatraz, rides bikes for miles, and other things that will enable him to push a crazy pace for 5 rounds if needed that Anderson won't be able to keep up with at this point in his career. Nick has the better BJJ should the fight go to the mat, better boxing, better cardio, less wear and tear, and is not coming off back to back devastating stoppages including a laffy taffy leg. If Silva's chin is able to withstand the punches Diaz hits him with I see this fight looking like a 5 round version of Diaz vs. Penn. The only way I can see Anderson winning this fight is if he's able to hit Nick with a mammoth shot. And it's going to take exactly that to stop Diaz, who gives no ****s, and has shown no signs of his iron chin deteriorating unlike Silva. It wouldn't shock me if Anderson came back and started running through guys again just because he's Anderson ******* Silva, but I just don't see it at this point. Diaz by KO or dominant decision. I personally think Anderson should hang them up and not risk tarnishing his legacy by taking more losses, but again if he proves me wrong it will be the least shocking thing ever considering who he is. That said, War Diaz.
This user is suspended from posting until 1 year, 5 months, 3 weeks, 2 days, 14 hours, and 12 minutes from now.
yossgold
yossgold
  • Predictions:  67,502  |  62.2%
  • Forum Posts:  14,550
  • Post Score: 295

12.09.2014 | 5:23 AM ET

Prediction: Silva  |  KO/TKO  |  Round 2

I love the confidence in which you say Nick's got better boxing and BJJ than Anderson Silva ...

"Hay lohh you Mike, ay lov you Mike. Hyou say somesing like di fo me, and naw I say you ... I LOV YOU! See you som. Boy." -- Yoel Romero, UFC 205

CthulhuJones
CthulhuJones

12.09.2014 | 5:44 AM ET

Anderson's not much of a sub guy, with only two subs over Chael who we all know is a magnet for triangles and the RNC of Dan. This is obviously because he's never really needed to use it, but the way he avoided the ground game of Demian Maia and Thales Leites makes me fairly confident Nick would have the advantage were it to go there. That's not saying Anderson couldn't catch him in something as he too is a BJJ black belt. I just don't see that happening. As far as striking goes Anderson obviously has the advantage in the clinch and with his kicks and knees, but pure boxing I think the edge is pretty clearly in favor of Nick.
This user is suspended from posting until 1 year, 5 months, 3 weeks, 2 days, 14 hours, and 12 minutes from now.
yossgold
yossgold

12.09.2014 | 10:03 AM ET

Is there such a thing as a "pure boxing advantage" in an MMA fight? I mean, will there be part of the fight where they'll say no clinching, no kicks, no knees?

Also, I'm pretty sure that if they end up rolling Anderson gets the upper hand. I think they're both masterful enough there for Anderson's size and strength advantage to sway the needle in his favour, but I agree that if you're basing what you say solely what they've shown I can understand your statement and concede on account of mine being based solely on gut feeling and how they've both looked to me when their fights did hit the mat.

"Hay lohh you Mike, ay lov you Mike. Hyou say somesing like di fo me, and naw I say you ... I LOV YOU! See you som. Boy." -- Yoel Romero, UFC 205

CthulhuJones
CthulhuJones

12.09.2014 | 10:34 AM ET

Good point about the boxing, I just think that if there are any stand up exchanges that don't involve kicks, knees, or clinching, Nick will get the better of them.
yossgold
yossgold

12.09.2014 | 10:59 AM ET

Maybe. I personally feel that Nick's go forward through the punches and land in volume style is too basic for someone as talented, natural and sophisticated as Anderson. All this taking into consideration that both are still the fighters they were before their year off, but yeah, I can see where you're coming from.

rappinpapsoda
rappinpapsoda
  • Predictions:  71,490  |  59.8%
  • Forum Posts:  8,601
  • Post Score: 69

12.10.2014 | 10:10 AM ET

Prediction: Silva  |  KO/TKO  |  Round 3

Diaz has better BJJ but not boxing.

"The only thing predictable about MMA is that it is unpredictable."

yossgold
yossgold

12.18.2014 | 12:44 PM ET

But Anderson has nicer hair ... check it out, he grew out his curly locks for the Diaz fight.

Blackwork
Blackwork
  • Predictions:  4,678  |  66.0%
  • Forum Posts:  900
  • Post Score: 162

12.18.2014 | 1:26 PM ET

To me, this all comes down to two things: (1) is Silva mentally and physically able and willing to throw leg kicks like he did pre-injury, and (2) has he lost the boredom/sense of invincibility that I truly believe cost him the first Weidman fight.

As to (1), the Diaz brothers have never really checked kicks, from what I recall at least, and we just saw how that played out with Nate and RDA. If Silva is willing to throw them, he can keep Nick at a distance and control Diaz's ability to engage in the high volume exchanges that are Nick's bread and butter. Which leads me to (2), when Silva isnt clowning around (and for most of his career, even when he was), he is just an incredibly dangerous opponent, capable of massive, fight-ending damage at any time. He also has an incredible fight IQ and sense of ring awareness. When he is on point, even at his age, i think his strengths are Diaz's strengths, he is just better at it than Diaz.

And im not going to compare BJJ, because i think there is no real chance that this ends up on the ground, and their mma BJJ is close enough that i dont think it would matter.

"http://www.tapology.com/profiles/blackwork/my-rankings?ranking_type=member"

legacyofmisfortune
legacyofmisfortune
  • Predictions:  14,159  |  63.5%
  • Forum Posts:  5,349
  • Post Score: 240

12.18.2014 | 1:37 PM ET

Prediction: Silva  |  Decision

@Blackwork, I don't agree with your opinion on Silva's IQ. he shown trouble adapting to Sonnen on the first fight, he adapted better on the second but first rd was Chael's. a fighter with a great fighting IQ wouldn't be goofing around his opponents and loose the belt because of it. he did managed to get away with it for a long time, until he didn't ad it cost him BIG...I'm not saying he has terrible FIQ but definetly not great imo.

I agree Silva will dictate how this fight plays out if he comes out to box Diaz, then Nick has a shot because of his high level boxing and arguably better chin, if Silva decides to use his kicks, the Nick is pretty much screwed. And I don't think Silva would take the fight to the ground, even GSP had trouble controlling Nick on the ground and Silva BBJ is not the best, not bad, but theres a reason he didn't went to the ground with Maia and Leithes, and finally managed to submit Sonnen after 5 rounds on his back, a guy who most of his losses came by submission

"he is going to the hospital, and im going to the after party, ha ha ha" Nate Diaz

MikeLovesTacos XD
MikeLovesTacos XD
  • Predictions:  30,326  |  59.3%
  • Forum Posts:  22,487
  • Post Score: 203

12.18.2014 | 10:15 PM ET

Event Poster. 10/10 

"Why are you booing me? I am the GOAT. **** you." - Patricio "Pitbull" Freire

2 Nyce
2 Nyce
  • Predictions:  19,158  |  59.6%
  • Forum Posts:  2,852
  • Post Score: 214

12.18.2014 | 10:19 PM ET

'Cept he looks like a ****** cross-eyed frog.
skelliher
skelliher
  • Predictions:  5,670  |  63.4%
  • Forum Posts:  11,051
  • Post Score: 245

12.18.2014 | 10:51 PM ET

Love Silva's Spider-man pose. Really don't get what the deal is with that Diaz misty fade thing. 

"When a game cannot be won, change the game."

Blackwork
Blackwork
  • Predictions:  4,678  |  66.0%
  • Forum Posts:  900
  • Post Score: 162

12.18.2014 | 11:12 PM ET

That isn't mist. It's explosive diarrhea taking the shape of Diaz, sort of like a fecal foreshadowing of Harry Potter's vision of Voldemort spraying from Silva's death squat. It's a dual meaning actually -- Diaz is known to talk ****, Silva wrecks ****. Deep. Very deep.

"http://www.tapology.com/profiles/blackwork/my-rankings?ranking_type=member"

PuertoRicanThunder
PuertoRicanThunder
  • Predictions:  6,463  |  63.2%
  • Forum Posts:  5
  • Post Score: 100

12.24.2014 | 2:36 PM ET

STOCKTON 209 WHAT
TheTnuggs
TheTnuggs
  • Predictions:  2,963  |  63.5%
  • Forum Posts:  667
  • Post Score: 197

12.24.2014 | 3:41 PM ET

Prediction: Silva  |  KO/TKO  |  Round 4

WHAT

"As swift as wind, as silent as forest, as fierce as fire, as unshakeable as mountain"

flying_frontkick
flying_frontkick
  • Predictions:  9,727  |  62.4%
  • Forum Posts:  5,779
  • Post Score: 273

12.24.2014 | 4:16 PM ET

Just decided to start re-watching some Nick Diaz fights and the fight with Gomi is classic. 

"For no particular reason beat up everyone"

FaceStomper
FaceStomper
  • Predictions:  4,891  |  62.6%
  • Forum Posts:  1,399
  • Post Score: 224

12.24.2014 | 5:04 PM ET

Prediction: Diaz  |  KO/TKO  |  Round 1

I was in Vegas for Pride 33, had 7th row saving up a lot for it. I've been to many loud concerts, with monstrous crowds, but in all my years, I've never heard a crowd a louder when Nick Diaz submitted Gomi 

"You fight midgets" - Nate Diaz

rappinpapsoda
rappinpapsoda
  • Predictions:  71,490  |  59.8%
  • Forum Posts:  8,601
  • Post Score: 69

12.25.2014 | 3:22 AM ET

Too bad Pride faded soon after. They had some great shows.

"The only thing predictable about MMA is that it is unpredictable."

Kpro
Kpro
  • Predictions:  11,208  |  63.9%
  • Forum Posts:  4,927
  • Post Score: 255

12.25.2014 | 9:07 AM ET

"I've never heard a crowd a louder when Nick Diaz submitted Gomi "  -@FaceStomper

I'm still proud of this pick from way back in February 2007!  Gomi was a big favorite at the time.

"I Stab Waterbeds!"

Page 6

You must be signed in to reply. Sign in or register to join the discussion.

As an anonymous reader, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

• MMA Mania : Midnight Mania! Haney Requests Garcia Rematch Because ‘Weight Played A Role’ In Defeat
  • Middle Easy : Exclusive: Jamahal Hill Brutally Honest On UFC 300 Regrets, Who Should Be Next For Alex Pereira
  • MMA Mania : Return Of The Bare Knuckle King
  • MMA Mania : PFL MENA Inaugural Event Set For May 10 In Riyadh
  • Middle Easy : Exclusive – Jamahal Hill Talks ‘Crazy’ BMF Title Clash at UFC 300, Comments on Ryan Garcia’s Epic Troll Job
  • MMA Junkie : Michael Bisping warns Michael Chandler not to underestimate Conor McGregor: 'Can't be drunk on your own ego'
  • Bad Left Hook : ‘What goes around comes around’: Prograis says karma caught up to Haney in Garcia fight
  • Bad Left Hook : ‘What goes around comes around’: Regis Prograis says karma caught up to Devin Haney
  • MMA Mania : ‘Stop Running!’ Vieira Claims Harrison Declined UFC 303 Fight Offer
  • Middle Easy : Exclusive: Jamahal Hill On Fighting Khalil Rountree So Soon At UFC 303, Rejecting A Main Event
  • MMA Junkie : Karine Silva explains how fast UFC rise was actually deceivingly long
  • MMA Junkie : Marlon Vera calls out Petr Yan for November showdown after he previously 'declined,' Yan fires back
  • MMA Mania : VIDEO: Strongman Hall Breaks Pereira Punch Record ... Kind Of
  • MMAFighting.com : Coach Rafael Cordeiro: Beneil Dariush took time off after repeated head trauma in 2023
  • UFC.com : It’s Not Just Winning For Victor Henry, It’s How He Wins
  • MMA Junkie : Title or not, Jamahal Hill says Alex Pereira rematch has to happen
  • MMA Mania : Video: Hill Praises Pereira’s ‘Gritty’ UFC 300 Ref Block
  • MMAFighting.com : Watch Mike Perry, Thiago Alves engage in tense faceoff ahead of BKFC KnuckleMania IV showdown
  • MMA Junkie : Video: BKFC KnuckleMania 4 press conference faceoffs featuring UFC vets Mike Perry, Thiago Alves
  • MMA Junkie : Uros Medic: 'Somebody is going to get oiled up' if I get snubbed of bonus at UFC on ESPN 55