Topic: Kazushi Sakuraba

Where Does Saku Rank Among the GOAT Lists?

Anonymous Mode

You are not logged in to Tapology. When browsing anonymously, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

edwinx1903
edwinx1903
  • Predictions:  1,280  |  60.3%
  • Forum Posts:  3,039
  • Post Score: 245

11.19.2013 | 11:32 AM ET

This is an intriguing question to me. Where does Saku rank among the GOAT list?

Saku is undoubtedly my favorite fighter of all time and one of the greatest fighters of all time, but ranking him is a hard thing to do now a days.

Where does he rank? Top 10? Top 20? Top 30? Top 40? Top 50?

Saku has fought from welterweight to heavyweight and has fought some of the GOAT fighters such as Vitor, Wanderlei x 3, Rampage and Cro Cop and some other highly talented and ranked fighters at the time like Newton, Royler, Mezger, Royce, Vovchanchyn, Renzo, Ryan, Randleman, Arona, Minowaman, Akiyama, Funaki, Tamura, Galesic, Ralek, Mayhem, Zaromskis and Cabral.

Among those fights, lets breakdown the key wins and loses of Saku's career:

Key Wins:
Carlos Newton (R2 sub)
Vitor Belfort (UD)
Royler Gracie (R2 sub)
Guy Mezger (R1 TKO)
Royce Gracie (R6 TKO)
Renzo Gracie (R2 sub)
Ryan Gracie (UD)
Quinton Jackson (R1 sub)
Kevin Randleman (R3 sub)
Ikuhisa Minowa (R1 sub)
Kestutis Smirnovas (R1 sub)
Masakatsu Funaki (R1 sub)
Zelg Galesic (R1 sub)

Key Loses:
Igor Vovchanchyn (R1 TKO)
Wanderlei Silva I (R1 TKO)
Mirko Filipovic (R2 TKO)
Wanderlei Silva II (R1 KO)
Antonio Rogerio Nogueira (UD)
Ricardo Arona (R2 TKO)
Melvin Manhoef (R1 KO)
Kiyoshi Tamura (UD)
Ralek Gracie (UD)
Jason Miller (R1 sub)
Marius Zaromskis (R1 TKO)
Yan Cabral (R2 sub)

Saku's key wins may not seem that impressive now, but back then most of those wins were huge as some of those guys were the elite fighters back then. Not only that, but the way Saku beat them was what his win stand out the most. He dominated a lot of his opponents with some exciting grappling skills and he did things in fights no other fighters was doing back then or is doing now a days.

Among his many attributes and qualities that help him be ranked highly and thought as one of the GOAT fighters are his amazing grappling skills, his transition from being a mid card pro-wrestler into a main event big star MMA fighter in PRIDE, his amazing display of heart and ability to absorb punishment and willingness to fight anyone at any given weight class at anytime, his charisma to get over with the fans, his popularity as he was one of the most popular fighters in PRIDE and Japan and the stunts he would pull in fights such as jumping over opponents into a double stomp on their face, pulling them around the ring by their legs, throwing leg kicks to a fighter who was on his back on the mat, double chops from the guard, cartwheels over opponents, etc.

Saku, in his prime, was truly a once in a life time fighter.

The MMA game has truly evolved a lot from those days which is what makes it so hard to rank Saku.

One thing's for sure and it's that the top 4 P4P spots are pretty much taken by Anderson, GSP, Fedor and Jones.

Then there's other guys like Big Nog, Randy, Chuck, Wanderlei, Shogun, BJ, Aldo, Hughes, Franklin, Vitor, Cro Cop, Hendo, Tito, Frank, Rampage, etc. who would probably rank higher on a P4P list than Saku would.

I honestly don't know how or where I'd rank Saku on a P4P GOAT list, so I'm curious to how and where would you guys rank Saku on the GOAT P4P list.

I'm very interested in reading your cases and debates and I'll probably end up ranking him in there once I hear your cases.

Yes, I know there's plenty of educated and unbiased MMA fans on here such as Live2wrestle, Wish, Legz, Wish Greg, Skell, ANIK, Trae, Yoss, Nomad, etc. and big Saku fans like OldGloom and ProdigyKid who can make interesting debates, so shoot, I'm interested in reading you guys opinions.

* Edited at 11.19.2013, 11:37 AM ET *

"The Gracie Hunter" Kazushi Sakuraba

Photo Source:  

Fighter Details

• Given Name: 桜庭和志, Sakuraba Kazushi
  • Pro MMA Record: 26-17-1, 2 NC (Win-Loss-Draw)
  • Nickname: The Gracie Hunter
  • Current Streak: 5 Losses
  • Last Fight: December 29, 2015 in RFF
  • Weight Class: Welterweight | Last Weigh-In: 171.0 lbs
  • Affiliation: Laughter7
  • Height: 5'11" (180cm) | Reach: N/A
  • Career Disclosed Earnings: $30,000 USD
  • Born: Katagami, Akita, Japan
  • Fighting out of: Setagaya, Tokyo, Japan
  • College: N/A
  • Foundation Style: Wrestling
  • Fighter Links:
  • Personal Links:

Responses

AnAlias
AnAlias
  • Predictions:  7,888  |  63.4%
  • Forum Posts:  8,737
  • Post Score: 246

11.19.2013 | 3:10 PM ET

I'm a huge Saku fan, but I don't put him in the top ten anymore.  There have just been too many great fighters to come around since his prime.  He's probably still top 20 though.

* Edited at 11.19.2013, 5:48 PM ET *

edwinx1903
edwinx1903

11.19.2013 | 3:21 PM ET

What fighters would you rank above Saku?

* Edited at 11.19.2013, 3:27 PM ET *

Brazilian Jitz
Brazilian Jitz
  • Predictions:  3,516  |  61.3%
  • Forum Posts:  6,816
  • Post Score: 211

11.19.2013 | 3:33 PM ET

As a fighter, not that high, but as an MMA figure, definitely top 10.

"Albert Fish... I mean that guy was a real jerk!"

yossgold
yossgold
  • Predictions:  67,515  |  62.2%
  • Forum Posts:  14,550
  • Post Score: 295

11.19.2013 | 5:28 PM ET

Easiest question ever: Unquestionably, undeniably undisputed #1 GOAT. Period.

"Hay lohh you Mike, ay lov you Mike. Hyou say somesing like di fo me, and naw I say you ... I LOV YOU! See you som. Boy." -- Yoel Romero, UFC 205

buffalo ben
buffalo ben
  • Predictions:  3,705  |  58.2%
  • Forum Posts:  6,348
  • Post Score: 157

11.19.2013 | 5:33 PM ET

nah. And Brazilian Jitz is totally and 100 percent right. 

* Edited at 11.19.2013, 5:39 PM ET *

"You don't have to be perfect, just dont be fraudulant"

yossgold
yossgold
  • Predictions:  67,515  |  62.2%
  • Forum Posts:  14,550
  • Post Score: 295

11.19.2013 | 5:45 PM ET

I SAID PERIOD!

"Hay lohh you Mike, ay lov you Mike. Hyou say somesing like di fo me, and naw I say you ... I LOV YOU! See you som. Boy." -- Yoel Romero, UFC 205

AnAlias
AnAlias
  • Predictions:  7,888  |  63.4%
  • Forum Posts:  8,737
  • Post Score: 246

11.19.2013 | 5:46 PM ET

GOAT is not an easy list to make.  There are all sorts of reasons to rank one fighter over another.  Here's my tentative list.

01 Anderson
02 GSP
03 Fedor
04 Hendo
05 Penn 
06 Couture
07 Hughes
08 Jon Jones
09 Wand 
10 Aldo
11 Big Nog
12 Shogun
13 Rampage
14 Liddell
15 Bendo
16 Edgar
17 Frank Shamrock
18 Ortiz
19 Velasquez
20 Saku

I could see moving Saku as high as 15, but as much as I love the guy, he was never actually a champion (unless you count the Saku belt.)  I wouldn't argue much with someone that ranks him even lower. 

MikeLovesTacos XD
MikeLovesTacos XD
  • Predictions:  30,359  |  59.3%
  • Forum Posts:  22,487
  • Post Score: 203

11.19.2013 | 6:14 PM ET

In terms of excitement, he always had it. I love Saku but I would have a hard time ranking him in the top 20 tbh. He's beaten some names, he's fought some good guys and lost, but he never really held any titles. He lacks in the 'accomplishments' department.

He had plenty of opportunity, but everytime he got on the cusp of anything he would lose. In the guys first ever win he won the UFC Japan HW tourney, but that was some real wacky ****. He made it to the 2000 openweight tourney semi-finals in PRIDE, but again, that was also under some pretty odd circumstances. Every tournament he was ever in, he never made it past the semi finals other than that odd UFC Japan tourney back in the day. Every title fight he ever took part in, he lost.. bad.

He was almost there soooo many times, he just never got there. It's undeniable that the guy is a legend though. One of the best of all time? I don't think so.. sadly.

"Why are you booing me? I am the GOAT. **** you." - Patricio "Pitbull" Freire

Anik
Anik
  • Predictions:  6,592  |  62.5%
  • Forum Posts:  17,508
  • Post Score: 160

11.19.2013 | 6:42 PM ET

@grizzlyedwin I appreciate that you name-dropped me but I cannot aid you. If anyone ever noticed, I never talk JMMA...ever.

Why? Simple, it's because I know absolutely nothing about JMMA. I only know what I've heard about Sakuraba from others on this site, I don't know very much about him.

I put him in my lists by default because it seems to be the consensus that he is one of the best ever, but frankly I just don't know very much about him.

* Edited at 11.19.2013, 6:42 PM ET *

"الله أكبرl"

Swickotine
Swickotine
  • Predictions:  18,137  |  61.8%
  • Forum Posts:  11,851
  • Post Score: 223

11.19.2013 | 6:50 PM ET

@Edwin didn't mention me on the list of members, ***...oh wait, nevermind he did. 

'Where does Saku rank among the GOAT list?'

There I am, thanks Ed.

"I'm bi-polar...nice jab, mean hook."

Anik
Anik

11.19.2013 | 7:24 PM ET

Please, the people recognize Anik as the undisputed GOAT, the Messiah, the Savior and the Almighty Fuhrer.

Notice how Edwin capitalizes the letters of my names, in order to reinforce my superiority over the rest. Edwin recognizes and you should too.

"الله أكبرl"

ProdigyKid14
ProdigyKid14
  • Predictions:  8,848  |  62.4%
  • Forum Posts:  5,902
  • Post Score: 195

11.19.2013 | 7:56 PM ET

Hard to rank Saku in a GOAT list, but there's no denying him being one of the most iconic fighters to grace this sport. If he fought at 170 where he probably should have, he could have easily gone down as one of the all time greats. I personally love the guy because he'll fight literally anyone, and seems to not give a **** about anything when he's in the ring (flying stomps, etc.). He has to be one of the most entertaining fighters ever.

He submitted two Gracies which is a big accomplishment, and he beat several fighters that were probably much bigger than he is. A lot of his losses are either at the end of his career, or just against guys that are much larger. I really doubt there's any welterweights around now that are going to try and take on the top fighter at 205. One of his losses that really stands out is the one where he fought Igor. Igor Vovchanchyn was a heavyweight, and he went 15 minutes with him...after going 90 minutes with Royce the same day.

I love the guy, but there's just been some guys that have accomplished more, like @mike said. Definitely an icon in MMA as far as I'm concerned.

"I fight em all. Men, women, children, ******** people, it doesn't matter. If you hit me, we're gonna fight. -Charles Bennett"

buffalo ben
buffalo ben
  • Predictions:  3,705  |  58.2%
  • Forum Posts:  6,348
  • Post Score: 157

11.19.2013 | 8:10 PM ET

I like that list @ An Alias

"You don't have to be perfect, just dont be fraudulant"

edwinx1903
edwinx1903

11.19.2013 | 11:06 PM ET

Forgot to mention Swick, Joe Kerr and some others who're quality posters, but I'll excuse myself mostly based on the fact that one always has avi's of black people and the other of Asian females which makes them hard to tell apart in such an avi culturally mixed audience.

While discussing this serious argument of Saku's place in MMA GOAT list ranking history, I would like to make a huge parenthesis and add in the following...

For you newer Tapologist though, once a year, the top elite Tapologist hold a closed door private reunion in a fancy hotel in the east of the US where we get together to discuss the serious business of mixed martial arts, it's current state, the current state of Tapz over a cup of tea while we drink tea together. At the last private Tapz reunion, Swick got there late because of traffic and personal reasons, but he was in a full blown Tapz classy suit and for the first time ever, here's a leaked photo of Swick getting late to the reunion:

At a sudden moment in the reunion, Bill Burgess who wasn't even invited, showed up, but us classy Tapologist gave him the opportunity to express his sentiment and he went on an endless rant that got everyone worked up ending in another leaked photo of Yoss going nuts:

#behindcloseddoors 
Anik
Anik

11.19.2013 | 11:23 PM ET

and absolutely no one laughed...

"الله أكبرl"

edwinx1903
edwinx1903

11.19.2013 | 11:35 PM ET

Back on topic...

There's many factors that make Saku hard to rank among the elite top fighters of all time.

Saku was a natural middleweight, who occasionally excelled and fought natural fighters a weight class or 2 above him. He never committed himself solely to a weight class until the post PRIDE fall of his career when DREAM came around, but by then he was already years past his prime and on the ending streak of it.

MMA is also seen differently in Japan than it is in America. In America MMA is seen as a sport where you want to be the best fighter in the world, with the best record, the longest win streak, contending for the title or being a champion. In Japan it's seen more based on entertainment and fighting spirit and that's where Saku excelled in which was what made him a huge hit and star back then in PRIDE in Japan.

Had Saku based his career in America instead of Japan, he probably would've committed more to fighting fighters in a specific weight class at middleweight or even at welterweight where he competed in at the end of his career in DREAM.

Many feel had Saku based his career in America, he would've become the UFC welterweight champion and would've even beat Hughes which is a tough fight to call and would've been a dream fight for me and for many fans.

Saku's really hard to rank on a GOAT list because he never based his career around the American mindset. Most of the top ranked fighters based their careers in America around the American mindset established by the UFC (Anderson, GSP, Jones, Hughes, Randy, Chuck, Tito, etc.) and others didn't base their careers in America, but did however base their careers around the American mindset (Fedor, Wanderlei, Shogun, Cro Cop, Hendo, etc.).

I personally would probably rank in the top 15-20, but I honestly don't know how or where I'd rank him cause I'll probably be biased since he's my favorite fighter of all time and because his career was based so differently from the majority of the fighters who could probably be considered the GOAT.

I know for sure I'd rank Saku behind the obvious fighters like Anderson, GSP, Fedor, Jones and behind some others like Wanderlei, Shogun, Hughes, Randy, Chuck, Hendo, Aldo, Penn, Big Nog and Cain. Not sure I'd rank other guys like Rampage, Cro Cop, Bendo, Edgar or Shamrock above Saku.
Nomad
Nomad
  • Predictions:  3,465  |  66.3%
  • Forum Posts:  5,117
  • Post Score: 181

11.20.2013 | 7:14 AM ET

Saku could of comfortably fought at 165-175lbs as a Welterweight his entire career. A lot reason's it's hard to rate Saku. He fought 2 and 3 division's above his weight. He fought through several eras of mixed martial arts. He fought into his 40s and well past his prime. To me, he's the greatest legend out of the far east. He was one of the greatest of an era, he submitted every gracie they could find him back when it was unheard of to do so. He had insane upsets if it was the rear naked choke of a Prime Rampage or dismantling Vitor Belfort. He was an entertainer, he brought spirit to the fight like few others. To me Saku probably sits around 15th in the greatest mixed martial artists to ever live. 

To me, Sakuraba was undoubtly one of the most intelligent and skilled fighters out there. I always think about, what if he was 23-24 years old coming up now as a ripped welterweight who trained in and out of Japan similar to how Okami or Ishii do. I think he'd run through most anyone at 170lbs today. He's sort of what he is though, he's a hero for always being the underdog, always being the guy you want to believe in, to beat the odds to never give up but he was such a brilliant fighter I still wonder what he could of done at WW in this era. 

* Edited at 11.20.2013, 7:16 AM ET *

"If I have a goal, then it is to escape from this literalism. I'll never achieve it; in the same way that I'll never manage to describe what really dwells within my character, although I keep on trying."

amp112
amp112
  • Predictions:  37,156  |  62.2%
  • Forum Posts:  5,588
  • Post Score: 208

11.20.2013 | 11:48 AM ET

The majority of Saku's losses came against much larger opponents or long after he should've been fighting (Ie: Mayhem Miller).

Top 25, no doubt. 

Just for laughs, the only person other than Saku to beat both Rampage AND Vitor: Jon Jones.

You must be signed in to reply. Sign in or register to join the discussion.

As an anonymous reader, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

• Jits Magazine : Craig Jones Announces Brand New 3 Million Dollar BJJ Tournament
  • UFC.com : UFC Welcomes Anker As Its Official Charging Partner In The Middle East And Africa
  • Jits Magazine : Mo Jassim Announces Women’s Absolute Division For ADCC 2024
  • MMA Mania : Midnight Mania: Miserable, Mean, And We Can’t Stand Her
  • MMA Mania : PFL Salt Lake City Fight Card Revealed!
  • MMA Junkie : Bogdan Guskov proud to be first Uzbekistan fighter to enter UFC rankings: 'This is my history'
  • Middle Easy : Joe Rogan Sides with Jamahal Hill in UFC 300 KO Controversy: ‘He’s Got a Point Here’
  • MMA Junkie : Victor Henry quotes Kim Kardashian after UFC on ESPN 55 bounce back from groin-shot no contest
  • MMA Mania : ‘PFL Is Not Making A Lot Of Money’
  • MMA Mania : ‘He Literally Is Always In Trouble’
  • MMAFighting.com : Beneil Dariush announced as 2024 Forrest Griffin Community Award recipient
  • UFC.com : Five Caio Borralho Fights To Watch Before UFC 301: Pantoja vs Erceg
  • Middle Easy : Jake Paul vs. Mike Tyson Will Be Sanctioned as a Professional Boxing Match
  • MMA Junkie : Tatiana Suarez confident she could impose her will against Zhang Weili: 'My grappling is very, very good'
  • MMAFighting.com : ‘UFC 301 countdown’ video
  • MMA Mania : Sorry, Bobby! ‘Baddy’ Vs. Moicano ‘Would Be Very, Very Funny’
  • UFC.com : Main Event Spotlight | UFC 301: Pantoja vs Erceg
  • MMAFighting.com : Anthony Hernandez out of UFC 302 fight with Roman Dolidze
  • Middle Easy : Francis Ngannou Shares Heartbreaking Message Following the Tragic Death of His 15-Month-Old Son
  • Middle Easy : Francis Ngannou Shares Heartbreaking Message Following the Tragic Death of His 18-Month-Old Son