Topic: Stefan Struve

Spinal/Orthopedic Surgeon requests Stefan Struve to retire at 25 years old!

Anonymous Mode

You are not logged in to Tapology. When browsing anonymously, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

MikeLovesTacos XD
MikeLovesTacos XD
  • Predictions:  30,326  |  59.3%
  • Forum Posts:  22,487
  • Post Score: 203

03.13.2013 | 12:52 AM ET

Thoughts? 
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1564534-dr-johnny-benjamin-25-year-old-heavyweight-stefan-struve-should-retire

"How many times has he been knocked out? I know he's a young man, but he's been knocked out more than a few times ... At some point, someone really needs to ask the question, should he still be fighting? That many concussions, so quickly, and at this young age ... a person has two types of age, chronological and physiologic age. Stefan's license may say he's 25, but in physiologic years, he's much, much older than that, with all the concussive force that he's sustained ... I'm sure nobody will like to hear this, but Stefan Struve really needs to think about retiring."

"If it's not him that will make that decision, then Dana White needs to start talking to him about retiring. The question out there is how many sustained concussions is too many, and according to the latest literature that's coming out, the answer is starting to look like it's somewhere between two and three. That's where you start having permanent changes."

* Edited at 03.13.2013, 1:02 AM ET *

"Why are you booing me? I am the GOAT. **** you." - Patricio "Pitbull" Freire

Stefan "The Skyscraper" Struve

Photo Source:  

Fighter Details

• Given Name: Stefan Jaimy Struve
  • Pro MMA Record: 29-13-0 (Win-Loss-Draw)
  • Nickname: The Skyscraper
  • Current Streak: 2 Losses
  • Last Fight: October 24, 2020 in UFC
  • Weight Class: Heavyweight | Last Weigh-In: 265.0 lbs
  • Affiliation: Team Schreiber
  • Height: 7'0" (214cm) | Reach: 84.5" (215cm)
  • Career Disclosed Earnings: $685,000 USD
  • Born: Beverwijk, Holland
  • Fighting out of: Beverwijk, Holland
  • Fighter Links:
  • Personal Links:

Responses Page 2

ifightbears
ifightbears
  • Predictions:  2,175  |  61.8%
  • Forum Posts:  600
  • Post Score: 257

03.13.2013 | 11:03 AM ET

It's all true.  I can't tell you how many concussions I suffered in the military and during kickboxing.  It shows too and I'm only 25.  That's why I stopped kickboxing and only do BJJ now.  A LOT less head trauma...

"Wanna go to a club where people wee on each other?"

MikeLovesTacos XD
MikeLovesTacos XD

03.13.2013 | 2:19 PM ET

It really is something to think about. He may be 25 years old, but on the inside he is much older. The guy has already taken a **** load of punishment considering how young he is in his career. That Buentello fight alone had to take alot out of him. But hes still taken so much punishment since then. Don't wanna see such a talented dude retire but if he keeps taking that kind of punishment in his future fights he really should consider. 

MikeLovesTacos XD
MikeLovesTacos XD

03.13.2013 | 2:21 PM ET

The guy fights stupid, hes a tall lanky dude.. Yet he doesn't use his jabs/straights or even kicks. A dude like him would be an absolute killer if he used some teeps and front kicks. He needs to start using that length. In the Hunt fight he stood in the pocket with a guy he probably could have easily beat if he would have used his length .. He either needs to fight like a tall fighter or keep absorbing punishment only to be force to retire early.. His choice. 

TAMANinja
TAMANinja
  • Predictions:  2,226  |  52.4%
  • Forum Posts:  597
  • Post Score: 303

03.13.2013 | 2:45 PM ET

This is why I like the Steven Thompson career path. Get really good at what you do in a far less damaging discipline like karate/point sparring (or Judo/BJJ/wrestling) and then transition to pro fighting around 27-28 when your body is peaking physically. I've always thought Struve should have spend more time in the dojo (and gym building himself up to a solid 265) before competing at an elite level.

* Edited at 03.13.2013, 2:52 PM ET *

LynxGuy
LynxGuy
  • Predictions:  1,054  |  59.7%
  • Forum Posts:  1,120
  • Post Score: 138

03.13.2013 | 6:07 PM ET

I've been a huge Struve supporter for years, but I feel inclined to agree with the doctors on this one.  He is way too young to be taking this kind of damage.  His fight IQ doesn't seem to be improving all that much either.  He's very content with just covering up and taking these big shots when he could be staying so far out of range.  He's also able to eat quite a few of them before not being able to continue.  Hell he still wanted to fight after pretty much every T(KO).

It's entirely his decision, but he needs to consider his long-term health and now.

"Don't be scared, homie." - Nick Diaz

legacyofmisfortune
legacyofmisfortune
  • Predictions:  14,159  |  63.5%
  • Forum Posts:  5,349
  • Post Score: 240

03.14.2013 | 2:13 AM ET

@jitz
"doctors are always saying we need to stop doing ****,
- Because theyre doctors and know WAY more than us non doctors.

what I mean is that doctors are always or at least most of the time are going to disaprove of high risk activities, and will tell you not to do that anymore even if you don't have a bad injury, as a kid I was told by a Dr to stop playing hockey because I broke a finger and it wasn't even during a game

I know he can't keep getting KO'd like that, but at least in this case he wasn't out, he was rocked I mean Hunt broke his ******* shin! 
- Doesnt matter if you dont go out. Going out, has nothing to do with concussions. You can get a worse concussion by not getting knocked out."

yes is true, but typically the loss of consciousness is a sign of a bigger lesion to the brain, and that was my point but you are right even if a person doesn'lt lose consciusness can have a bad brain lesion

"he is going to the hospital, and im going to the after party, ha ha ha" Nate Diaz

blitzkrieg
blitzkrieg
  • Predictions:  4,528  |  61.0%
  • Forum Posts:  1,449
  • Post Score: 285

03.14.2013 | 11:59 AM ET

It's frustrating to follow Struve and watch him lose like that, its like watching BJ Penn not training for his fights and showing up to the weigh ins overweight or underweight with an IJDGAF face. I'm not saying they are equally skilled but they are similar in the sense that they have/had the potential to be much better than they are.

I really enjoy watching him fight and besides his obvious physical advantages I think he has great skills, I see him get better and better and think that only if he would focus, learn to use his reach and maybe join a decent training camp he could probably be fighting for the title in a few years and maybe even holding it, but if he chooses to continue going ****** in his fights, his career will not be very long.

"@AndySalasMMA"

OutlawJoseyWales
OutlawJoseyWales
  • Predictions:  10,186  |  59.6%
  • Forum Posts:  1,392
  • Post Score: -147

08.07.2017 | 6:14 PM ET

FightNight 115 must be hated by the ufc. your going to go against the opening day of college football?    this will be the lowest rated  anything ufc related in 2017. they should have moved this to either the 12th of august or 19th. only crappy baseball to go against. Alabama vs Florida state during same air time. btw, its now pro football 55% and college football 45 % in favorite sport in the usa. CF moving up ever so slowly.

* Edited at 08.07.2017, 6:16 PM ET *

This user is suspended from posting until 1 year, 7 months, 3 days, 12 hours, and 36 minutes from now.
rappinpapsoda
rappinpapsoda
  • Predictions:  71,490  |  59.8%
  • Forum Posts:  8,601
  • Post Score: 69

08.08.2017 | 9:52 AM ET

Four years ago and still fighting.

"The only thing predictable about MMA is that it is unpredictable."

Page 2

You must be signed in to reply. Sign in or register to join the discussion.

As an anonymous reader, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

• MMA Mania : Coach Benched Dariush To ‘Focus On His Health’
  • UFC.com : Marnic Mann Gets Down To Business
  • Middle Easy : Anthony Smith ‘Shocked’ By How Good Sean Strickland Truly Is: ‘He Only Shows a Small Part of His Game’
  • MMA Junkie : Photos: BKFC: Knucklemania 4 pre-fight press conference
  • MMAFighting.com : Thiago Alves was basically retired until BKFC called for Mike Perry fight: ‘Money talks’
  • MMA Mania : LIVE! UFC Vegas 91 Early Weigh Ins!
  • MMA Junkie : Jose Aldo ready to trade leg kicks with Jonathan Martinez at UFC 301: 'I'm a specalist at what I do'
  • MMAFighting.com : Missed Fists: Fighter cusses out judge, tells them to quit
  • MMA Junkie : UFC champion Sean O'Malley on delay for Merab Dvalishvili title bout: 'I'm not fighting out of the country'
  • MMA Mania : BKFC ‘KnuckleMania 4’ Predictions
  • MMAFighting.com : Anthony Smith stands by Alex Pereira criticism but promises he’s not just ‘talking sh*t’ about him
  • UFC.com : Weigh-In Results | UFC Fight Night: Nicolau vs Perez
  • MMA Mania : Hunt Files To Unseal All Docs In UFC-Lesnar Lawsuit
  • MMA Junkie : Savannah Marshall signed with PFL for Claressa Shields rematch: 'The goal is to make a build-up'
  • MMA Mania : NSAC To Fine Biters, Brawlers And Diego Lopes?!?
  • MMA Mania : NAC To Fine Biters, Brawlers And Diego Lopez?!
  • MMA Junkie : Raw video: Max Holloway's BMF-ness, Conor's first belt and more UFC legendary moments – without commentary
  • MMAFighting.com : Morning Report: Amanda Ribas details recent stalker encounter: ‘He was telling people I was his wife’
  • MMA Junkie : UFC on ESPN 55 weigh-in results and live video stream (noon ET)
  • MMA Junkie : Scale snafus: UFC official weigh-in misses in 2024