Topic: Nate Diaz

Nate Diaz rattled Fox broadcast

Anonymous Mode

You are not logged in to Tapology. When browsing anonymously, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

JM Barrie
JM Barrie
  • Predictions:  7,848  |  54.7%
  • Forum Posts:  3,617
  • Post Score: -69

12.09.2012 | 6:57 PM ET

During his middle finger episode fox cameramen were told to show the crowd to avoid fines from  the Federal Communications Commission

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/mma-cagewriter/nate-diaz-middle-finger-gesture-during-fight-rattled-161511051--mma.html

During Benson Henderson's win over Nate Diaz at UFC on Fox 5, the Fox broadcast repeatedly cut away to a shot of the empty octagon. Was it a technical difficulty? Did someone on Fox's broadcast truck hit the wrong button?

No. Diaz threw up the middle finger at his opponent, and the network cut away instead of risking a fine from the Federal Communications Commission.

This isn't the first time Diaz has caused a stir on network television. After a Strikeforce fight in 2010 on CBS, Diaz, his brother Nick and their teammates got into a postfight melee when Jason "Mayhem" Miller jumped into the cage after a Jake Shields win.

Diaz is known for using trash talk and throwing up the middle finger during fights. He famously locked in a triangle choke with his legs on Kurt Pellegrino and put up both fingers as he finished the submission. Henderson knew this and prepared for Diaz's game.

"It's something I actually had a little bit of a hard time with, but once my training partners got together, they all started talking crap to me in the middle of sparring and I'd get angry," Henderson said on Fuel TV's postfight show. "They helped control it and I did a pretty good job of being very focused and not letting that affect my emotional state in the middle of the fight."

"1. Avoidant personality disorder _______________2. Maladaptive daydreaming"

Nate Diaz

Fighter Details

• Given Name: Nathan Donald Diaz
  • Pro MMA Record: 21-13-0 (Win-Loss-Draw)
  • Nickname: N/A
  • Current Streak: 1 Win
  • Last Fight: September 10, 2022 in UFC
  • Weight Class: Welterweight | Last Weigh-In: 171.0 lbs
  • Affiliation: Cesar Gracie Jiu Jitsu
  • Height: 6'0" (183cm) | Reach: 76.0" (193cm)
  • Career Disclosed Earnings: $4,081,000 USD
  • Born: Stockton, California, United States
  • Fighting out of: Stockton, California
  • Fighter Links:
  • Personal Links:

Responses

dielegende23
dielegende23
  • Predictions:  20,990  |  71.7%
  • Forum Posts:  7,907
  • Post Score: 268

12.09.2012 | 7:01 PM ET

Another benefit seeing all the shows online, saw that and also heard alot of cursing in the corners ;->

Makes me feel a little better staying up all night till 6 am...

" I feel like Davy Crockett on the walls of the Alamo, swinging Old Betsy as the enemy swarmed in with bayonets. Sheesh. Listen you young punks....." - Bill Burgess

xbassistdoodx
xbassistdoodx
  • Predictions:  2,546  |  56.7%
  • Forum Posts:  3,218
  • Post Score: 104

12.09.2012 | 7:06 PM ET

"So Nate, how did that middle finger work out for you?"

"......." says Diaz in a coma.

"If I have seen further than others, it is by standing on the shoulders of giants" - Isaac Newton

JustynOfOsiris
JustynOfOsiris
  • Predictions:  4,334  |  57.2%
  • Forum Posts:  3,239
  • Post Score: 122

12.09.2012 | 7:08 PM ET

That was so ridiculous

"Is reality really realistic?"

Gregory
Gregory
  • Predictions:  6,817  |  63.3%
  • Forum Posts:  18,565
  • Post Score: 275

12.09.2012 | 7:16 PM ET

I thought it was technical difficulties!

How stupid is this.  OH MY GOD IT'S A MIDDLE FINGER! PROTECT YOUR CHILDREN!  What kind of country do we (at least us Americans) live in where a middle finger needs to be censored.  Sigh.

"I live, I die, I live again."

kallousklown
kallousklown
  • Predictions:  24,203  |  62.6%
  • Forum Posts:  10,967
  • Post Score: 177

12.09.2012 | 7:19 PM ET

I can see why they did this. I wouldn't go crazy about a finger but I certainly wouldn't prefer my little brothers seeing people flip off other people. I understand that it is fighting and thus we should expect it but I don't want that to eventually be the norm.

"Are we gonna jump, or we just gonna jerk each other off?"

xbassistdoodx
xbassistdoodx

12.09.2012 | 7:21 PM ET

I agree, @kallous. First of all, he has no business throwing the finger around in a fight. You're in a fight already, let your technique do the talking. What a poor sport.

"If I have seen further than others, it is by standing on the shoulders of giants" - Isaac Newton

dielegende23
dielegende23

12.09.2012 | 7:22 PM ET

@Gregory yeah it's especially weird because it happens during a event where two badass guys try to take each others heads of while fighting in a cage.

Here in Germany people can curse, have sex or flip middlefingers as much as they want to on TV. But we have some stupid regulations in reverse.

For example the freaking UFC is to brutal for free TV...

" I feel like Davy Crockett on the walls of the Alamo, swinging Old Betsy as the enemy swarmed in with bayonets. Sheesh. Listen you young punks....." - Bill Burgess

dielegende23
dielegende23

12.09.2012 | 7:25 PM ET

@Kallous if you are afraid you brother would copy this behaviour,  shouldn't you also be afraid he goes ahead and trys to fight someone ?

yossgold
yossgold
  • Predictions:  67,515  |  62.2%
  • Forum Posts:  14,550
  • Post Score: 295

12.09.2012 | 7:25 PM ET

Soooo .... blood, beating the crap out of each other and breaking bones - ok. Middle finger - bad. Network TV logic is dumb.

I mean, for god's sake, it's a ******* MMA card, if you're going to let your kids watch an MMA card I think the least of your problems is a couple of "birdies" :)

"Hay lohh you Mike, ay lov you Mike. Hyou say somesing like di fo me, and naw I say you ... I LOV YOU! See you som. Boy." -- Yoel Romero, UFC 205

xbassistdoodx
xbassistdoodx

12.09.2012 | 7:27 PM ET

Fighting and cussing/flipping the finger are two different things. It's much easier to keep a kid from fighting. It's going to cause both people physical harm and is going to result in harsher consequences which will (most likely) keep them from doing it again. But telling kids to **** off and sticking up they're middle finger is bad etiquette in any situation.  

kallousklown
kallousklown
  • Predictions:  24,203  |  62.6%
  • Forum Posts:  10,967
  • Post Score: 177

12.09.2012 | 7:28 PM ET

@dielegende, I didnt say he would go out and imitate his behavior but I wouldn't prefer he think obscene gestures like that are ok. 

@yoss, My problem with that is that alot of people consider mma to be a sport. Just because it is a combat sport does not mean those other "birdies" should be allowed, at least not on national tv. 

* Edited at 12.09.2012, 7:29 PM ET *

"Are we gonna jump, or we just gonna jerk each other off?"

Kalibo
Kalibo
  • Predictions:  33,130  |  62.8%
  • Forum Posts:  16,800
  • Post Score: 185

12.09.2012 | 7:33 PM ET

Sportsmanship has to reign.  Period.  As far as the kids watching... imo, it's no different then letting them watch the NHL or the NFL... you have to raise your kids right and give them a good foundation.  MMA is a sport just all other sports and flipping the damn bird is not acceptable.  Now, whether or not it should have been censored?... Idk...  worse things happen in other sports, but it's still wrong.

"All men can see these tactics whereby I conquer, but what none can see is the strategy out of which victory is evolved" – Sun Tzu, "The Art of War"

dielegende23
dielegende23

12.09.2012 | 7:49 PM ET

I don't see what the big deal is, it's just a middlefinger. American TV is really really weird TV in general is. If you flip the chanel you see guys shooting zombies, low life houswifes doing horrible things, people preaching to god and making sure you buy their book, bias TV anchors spreading lies.

And a middlefinger or the words **** you are bad ?

My conclusion, if I ever have kids, don't let them watch TV at all, or at least just reduce that time to a minimum.

SoccerKick
SoccerKick
  • Predictions:  32,055  |  61.8%
  • Forum Posts:  13,504
  • Post Score: 186

12.09.2012 | 7:49 PM ET

No one looks dumber in this situation than Diaz...he's getting his ass kicked in front of millions of people and decides to throw a little tantrum and flip off the guy beating his ass! 

"I'm too old to be run by the fears of dumb people "

Kalibo
Kalibo

12.09.2012 | 7:52 PM ET

@Diel... we're talking about a sport, not TV, not acting... Sports and "real life" are held to a higher standard.  @soccer is right.

"All men can see these tactics whereby I conquer, but what none can see is the strategy out of which victory is evolved" – Sun Tzu, "The Art of War"

Lopati
Lopati
  • Predictions:  18,574  |  61.4%
  • Forum Posts:  13,352
  • Post Score: 179

12.09.2012 | 7:57 PM ET

this has really been blown way the **** out of proportion here.  I don't think it was a temper tantrum or anything just a tactic the Diaz Bros use.  Not sure what I would be thinking if a guy was in the splits and I was trying to lock on a knee bar at the time. I would be like "**** You breaux"  quit being so flexible, lol.

Die, is correct American TV is stupid.  I can turn on a majority of FOX channels and hear foul language, see ****s, murders and other deplorable behavior, but this is a big deal.  YA OK, Get the **** outta here with that ****.

"One does not hunt in order to kill; on the contrary, one kills in order to have hunted. If one were to present the sportsman with the death of the animal as a gift he would refuse it." Jose Ortega y Gasset

Kalibo
Kalibo

12.09.2012 | 8:00 PM ET

@Lopati... what the hell kinda FOX channel do you have out west?? lol.  Nate's finger makes no damn sense.  He raises Ben's arm at the end... 10 min earlier he's flipping him off... it reaks of stupidity.  Remember... we're trying to get MMA on Network TV in a good light!

SoccerKick
SoccerKick
  • Predictions:  32,055  |  61.8%
  • Forum Posts:  13,504
  • Post Score: 186

12.09.2012 | 8:00 PM ET

Yeah that is a "tactic" the Diaz brothers use...I'm gonna flip you off cause you're not standing here letting me use my pitter-shatter boxing 

"I'm too old to be run by the fears of dumb people "

WishIsHere
WishIsHere
  • Predictions:  24,429  |  64.4%
  • Forum Posts:  7,003
  • Post Score: 232

12.09.2012 | 8:05 PM ET

^^^Like Donald Cerrone?

"I bought a Bruno mars cd once - gunn4206"

ACFMMA
ACFMMA

12.09.2012 | 8:10 PM ET

Id expect nothing less then a douchbag move like that from nate. He was getting dominated and looked like a ***** on national TV. He got fustrated and thats the only thing his weak ghetto mind could come up with. I just think its funny that your getting your ass completely beat and you try to throw up the middle finger like a tough guy. Why aint you winning tough guy????

And i could understand why fox cut away. They wanna make the sport seem like the fighters are professional athletes and not some street trash thrown into a cage. In any other sport im sure the player would be fined for doing **** like that. It just isnt what a professional does.

You must be signed in to reply. Sign in or register to join the discussion.

As an anonymous reader, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

• MMA Junkie : Jose Aldo's coach predicts brutal knockout over Jonathan Martinez at UFC 301
  • MMA Junkie : Alexander Volkanovski: Ilia Topuria 'not going about things the right way' as UFC champion
  • MMAFighting.com : This Is CineMMA, ‘Mais Forte que o Mundo’: Is this even a Jose Aldo movie?
  • Middle Easy : Video – Alex Pereira Takes Down UFC Hall of Famer Daniel Cormier During Backstage Scuffle
  • Middle Easy : Chael Sonnen Backs Ilia Topuria’s BMF Title Demands for Max Holloway Fight: ‘He’s Right!’
  • Bad Left Hook : PREDICTIONS: Who wins Canelo vs Munguia?
  • MMA Junkie : Gilbert Burns would love to rematch Kamaru Usman: 'I was very emotional in that first fight'
  • MMA Mania : Smith Claims UFC Fans Are ‘Stupid’
  • MMAFighting.com : Jose Aldo explains UFC 301 comeback and MMA future after Jonathan Martinez fight
  • UFC.com : Paul Craig Is Bringing 'Everything And The Kitchen Sink' To UFC 301
  • MMA Junkie : UFC veterans in MMA and boxing action May 3-4
  • UFC.com : Caio Borralho: “Pressure Is A Privilege”
  • MMA Mania : Aldo Vs. Martinez Betting Odds, Breakdown, Prediction
  • MMAFighting.com : Anthony Smith won’t be anyone’s stepping stone in UFC: ‘We’re going to f*cking put that to bed now’
  • MMA Mania : ‘Suga’ Fed ‘Cannibal’ Liver Shot That ‘Put Him Down’
  • MMA Junkie : Chael Sonnen: Conor McGregor a better fighter than Michael Chandler but not a better competitor
  • MMA Mania : ‘They Want Me To Go To Rio And Take A Loss’
  • MMAFighting.com : Devin Haney releases statement on Ryan Garcia’s positive drug tests: ‘People die in this sport’
  • UFC.com : ALEXANDRE PANTOJA: HOMECOMING KING
  • Jits Magazine : Diogo Reis Reveals Striking Training And Hints At MMA Debut