Topic: Struve vs. Hunt

Struve vs. Hunt

Anonymous Mode

You are not logged in to Tapology. When browsing anonymously, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

Oddsbot
Oddsbot
  • Predictions:  8,660  |  73.8%
  • Forum Posts:  17,583
  • Post Score: 60

12.04.2012 | 6:19 PM ET

Prediction: wrong Struve   wrong Decision  

This is the official discussion thread for Struve vs. Hunt. Let's see what you've got.

"This is the droid you're looking for."

Responses Page 8

jaykool777
jaykool777
  • Predictions:  25,528  |  61.6%
  • Forum Posts:  3,654
  • Post Score: 158

03.03.2013 | 6:15 PM ET

Prediction: correct Hunt   correct KO/TKO   wrong Round 1  

Fixed fights don't end with x-rays like this!!!! To say or imply that this fight was fixed or didn't live up to anyone's potential is ******** (for lack of a better word).

* Edited at 03.03.2013, 6:16 PM ET *

"Keep it punk rock!!!!"

lbj6
lbj6
  • Predictions:  3,615  |  61.5%
  • Forum Posts:  2,025
  • Post Score: 210

03.03.2013 | 6:29 PM ET

i bet it was fixedm, and he was drugged! .....cmon....
struve said he was tired, mark hunt did a great job on capitalizing on it

"get outta my face man! i gotta go get drunk"-Rampage

ifightbears
ifightbears
  • Predictions:  2,175  |  61.8%
  • Forum Posts:  600
  • Post Score: 257

03.03.2013 | 6:31 PM ET

Looks like a legit win to me.  Struve has always been slow to start.  The only problem is when he does it with guys like Mark Hunt, he gets knocked out.  The most impressive thing overall, and I agree with jaykool777, was Hunt's much improved ground game.  First time Struve got him down I was convinced it was over lol. 

"Wanna go to a club where people wee on each other?"

cal1
cal1
  • Predictions:  22,053  |  63.5%
  • Forum Posts:  5,001
  • Post Score: 251

03.03.2013 | 6:33 PM ET

Prediction: wrong Struve   wrong Submission   wrong Round 1  

I hate to be "that guy", but my wife is an X-ray Technician and that is not an X-ray, that is a CT scan. Didn't read thread, but whoever said the fight was fixed is a full blown 'tard, more so than me and I'm pretty 'tarded.

"UFC 151 NEVER FORGET"

Kalibo
Kalibo
  • Predictions:  33,130  |  62.8%
  • Forum Posts:  16,800
  • Post Score: 185

03.03.2013 | 6:40 PM ET

I hate to be "that guy" too, but the end result of a broken jaw does not mean that a fight lived up to everyone's expectations. Obviously this fight was not fixed, but I still think something was "off" about this fight and agree w/ @Mikelovestacos.

"All men can see these tactics whereby I conquer, but what none can see is the strategy out of which victory is evolved" – Sun Tzu, "The Art of War"

Bill Burgess
Bill Burgess
  • Predictions:  301  |  69.1%
  • Forum Posts:  5,093
  • Post Score: 47

03.03.2013 | 6:48 PM ET

Prediction: wrong Struve   wrong KO/TKO   wrong Round 3  

First things first.  If anyone wants to reread my post, I was careful to say, "Struve fought AS IF he were drugged or the fix was in."  Operational words, 'AS IF'.  

Second, Struve fought unlike I've seen recently.  He had almost no aggression.  He has one of the longest jabs and he could and should have snapped it in Hunt's face constantly, keeping him on the outside of that jab.  This he manifestly failed or refused to do.  Hunt has short stubby arms and Struve could have kept him at bay the whole way.  Why didn't he use his range to keep Hunt at the end of that looooong jab?

That is why I was shocked at his failure to engage.  He was timid and passive.  Not like his usual self at all.

I give you all the respect in the world, jaykool777, and don't understand why you didn't see that lack of aggression on Struve's part.  I guess we did see different fights.

"Love God, live with honor, keep your agreements."

Kalibo
Kalibo
  • Predictions:  33,130  |  62.8%
  • Forum Posts:  16,800
  • Post Score: 185

03.03.2013 | 6:51 PM ET

@Bill... It was your choice of words boss.  You don't say "fix was in" in an MMA related arena and expect no one to call you out even saying "as if".  It is like saying bomb on an airplane!  Other than that, I agree w/ everything you posted..even your last post.

* Edited at 03.03.2013, 6:51 PM ET *

"All men can see these tactics whereby I conquer, but what none can see is the strategy out of which victory is evolved" – Sun Tzu, "The Art of War"

AllHailKrull
AllHailKrull
  • Predictions:  1,522  |  61.1%
  • Forum Posts:  1,672
  • Post Score: 180

03.03.2013 | 6:53 PM ET

"Struve fought as if he were either drugged or the fix was in. He stood there passively, with his hands in front of his face, patiently waiting to get slugged.

Why wasn't his ******* jab in Hunt's face, keeping him on the outside? ****, Struve can kick you from across the cage! Why wasn't he engaging? Why didn't he fight like he meant it?

Struve gave the fight away and I'm damned pissed at him for refusing to fight!

Struve never even showed up last night. He stayed home in the US and mailed it in. "

You've clearly never seen a Struve fight before. he never uses his reach, he always eats hard shots from his opponents and has flat out terrible defense.

Only thing that was different., was that Struve gassed early.

"People say ‘oh, so you should retire.’ Yeah, you want me to retire so you won’t get knocked out. - Vitor Belfort"

jodybanman
jodybanman
  • Predictions:  3,332  |  61.2%
  • Forum Posts:  1,707
  • Post Score: 237

03.03.2013 | 6:55 PM ET

Struve fought like he always does.  He's never used the jab particularly well, and more often than not ends up relying on his ground game.  This time it didn't work.  He nearly had Hunt a few times, but clearly grappling with a nearly 300 pound block of samoan exhausted him after a while.  

Both guys fought poorly at times and made some bad decisions, but it was a good fight.  I thought Hunt would get easily submitted, and although he was dominated at times on the ground his resilience and improving skill impressed me.  

Maybe Struve is focusing too much on gaining mass and not enough on conditioning.

"I don't want to have to do this living. I just walk around. I want to be swept off my feet, you know? I want my children to have magical powers. I am prepared for amazing things to happen. I can handle it."

Bill Burgess
Bill Burgess

03.03.2013 | 7:06 PM ET

@AllHailKrull Your avatar is so distracting.  American Psycho is one of my favorite films of all time.  I put it in the same category as Hard Candy and No Country For Old Men.  Christian Bale created a classic character!

And I've seen Struve fight Lavar Johnson, Pat Barry, Roy Nelson, and some others.  He is normally much more aggressive.

* Edited at 03.03.2013, 7:10 PM ET *

AllHailKrull
AllHailKrull
  • Predictions:  1,522  |  61.1%
  • Forum Posts:  1,672
  • Post Score: 180

03.03.2013 | 7:23 PM ET

"@AllHailKrull Your avatar is so distracting. American Psycho is one of my favorite films of all time. I put it in the same category as Hard Candy and No Country For Old Men. Christian Bale created a classic character!

And I've seen Struve fight Lavar Johnson, Pat Barry, Roy Nelson, and some others. He is normally much more aggressive.

Still probably the best movie i have seen in the last 6 or so years. instant classic. haven't seen Hard Candy.

On topic, Struve just flat out gassed but he was more aggressive on the ground in this fight then any other once I've seen him in, it's also probably why he never got the subs. 

this pretty much covers Struves problems that he showed in this fight and past ones.

http://www.bloodyelbow.com/2012/9/30/3431920/the-ongoing-trouble-with-stefan-struve-UFC-On-Fuel-Stipe-Miocic

"People say ‘oh, so you should retire.’ Yeah, you want me to retire so you won’t get knocked out. - Vitor Belfort"

Bill Burgess
Bill Burgess

03.03.2013 | 7:28 PM ET

Hard Candy is a cult classic masterpiece.  Once seen, it stays with you for days.  Ellen Page created a character that you want to punish.  Too bad they didn't have a sequel of her getting caught and having a courtroom drama.

Signal1
Signal1
  • Predictions:  210  |  62.4%
  • Forum Posts:  72
  • Post Score: 167

03.03.2013 | 7:43 PM ET

Prediction: correct Hunt   correct KO/TKO   wrong Round 2  

Is that CT scan for real? I think many people would look "druged" if they coped a blow to the head from Mark Hunt. Struve fought like he always does. Very slow to start. Just got bashed in the head a few times, that will sure make a person feel dazed.

Respect to Struve, I like the guy and think he will be a force to be reckoned with in the future. He gave it his BEST, why wouldnt he, he wants the title like everyone else, it just was not good enough.

Hunt Vs Nelson would be a great fight.

"Knowledge is Power"

ED209
ED209
  • Predictions:  7,297  |  61.1%
  • Forum Posts:  3,437
  • Post Score: 213

03.03.2013 | 8:28 PM ET

So people think this fight was fixed? ********

"30-26 Tim Boetsch"

ED209
ED209
  • Predictions:  7,297  |  61.1%
  • Forum Posts:  3,437
  • Post Score: 213

03.03.2013 | 8:58 PM ET

A little late but I was irritated that the commentators weren't mentioning Hunts improved ground game

"30-26 Tim Boetsch"

Signal1
Signal1
  • Predictions:  210  |  62.4%
  • Forum Posts:  72
  • Post Score: 167

03.03.2013 | 11:13 PM ET

Prediction: correct Hunt   correct KO/TKO   wrong Round 2  

To ED209, those commentators pi$$ed me off the whole time. They were very one sided for all fights. If it wasnt for the crowd I would have turned the volume off and muted the fools.

"Knowledge is Power"

Live2wrestle
Live2wrestle
  • Predictions:  22,482  |  63.5%
  • Forum Posts:  11,857
  • Post Score: 236

03.03.2013 | 11:13 PM ET

Damn, when will people quit trying to discredit Hunt? Struve fought like he normally does and showed that his grappling was highly overrated. He also looked drugged because this was his first time going to the 3rd round in years, you can train all the cardio in the world but if you dont experience the late rounds you wont be ready. Hunt also proved that he has underrated sub defense and that he is not just some hard hitting old man.

"She be curvin all the locals, must like foreigns and this is when I had the Martin, I was just like Lawrence so wassup"

yossgold
yossgold
  • Predictions:  67,528  |  62.2%
  • Forum Posts:  14,550
  • Post Score: 295

03.04.2013 | 3:14 AM ET

Prediction: wrong Struve   wrong Submission   wrong Round 2  

@Bill Burgess, Struve always fights like that, he's just got naturally slower reactions than other fighters and he never uses his jab as much s you'd want him too because he forgets in the "heat of battle".

Some people have the intensity and aggression in their arsenal some people don't, it's very hard to create it if it's not in your nature.

Plus, it may have looked like he was "letting Hunt punch him", but you're forgetting that after you get clocked by one or two Hunt punches, even if you don't go down, you might be a tad groggy, thus making you react slower and think less (about jabbing and kicking, for instance).

So could very well be that while you were screaming "JAB! JAB! JAB!!" at your TV (as I was :) ) he was seeing two Hunts and trying to guess which one of them to jab :))

"Hay lohh you Mike, ay lov you Mike. Hyou say somesing like di fo me, and naw I say you ... I LOV YOU! See you som. Boy." -- Yoel Romero, UFC 205

amp112
amp112
  • Predictions:  37,156  |  62.2%
  • Forum Posts:  5,588
  • Post Score: 208

03.04.2013 | 3:21 AM ET

Prediction: wrong Struve   wrong Submission   wrong Round 2  

That's probably Struve's major problem. On the feet, he NEVER uses his amazing reach to his advantage.
CthulhuJones
CthulhuJones
  • Predictions:  40,133  |  60.1%
  • Forum Posts:  9,674
  • Post Score: 286

03.04.2013 | 3:24 AM ET

Mark Hunt vs Roy Nelson

Make that happen immediately.
This user is suspended from posting until 1 year, 5 months, 2 weeks, 15 hours, and 49 minutes from now.

Page 8

You must be signed in to reply. Sign in or register to join the discussion.

As an anonymous reader, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

• Middle Easy : Canelo Alvarez vs. Jaime Munguia: Canelo Dominates in Unanimous Decision Victory [Video Highlights]
  • MMA Mania : ‘I Have A Date, I’ll Let Boss Man Dana Announce That’
  • MMA Mania : De La Hoya Reacts To Canelo Beating Munguia
  • MMAFighting.com : UFC 302 bonuses: Michel Pereira snags extra $50,000 for monster finish of Ihor Potieria
  • UFC.com : Bonus Coverage | UFC 301: Pantoja vs Erceg
  • MMA Mania : Bonuses! Back-Flipping Pereira Banks $50K
  • MMA Mania : UFC 301 PPV Results, Streaming Updates
  • MMA Junkie : UFC 301 results: Alexandre Pantoja ekes by Steve Erceg to retain title in thrilling five-round battle
  • MMAFighting.com : Canelo Alvarez vs. Jaime Munguia full fight video highlights
  • MMA Junkie : UFC 301 bonuses: The Force is $50,000 strong with Mauricio Ruffy
  • MMA Junkie : Canelo Alvarez drops, beats overmatched Jaime Munguia to retain 168-pound title
  • MMA Mania : Resurgent Aldo Teases Second Run At UFC Title
  • MMAFighting.com : ‘Canelo carried him’: Pros react to Canelo Alvarez humbling undefeated Jaime Munguia
  • MMAFighting.com : Alexandre Pantoja fends off valiant challenge from Steve Erceg to retain title in UFC 301 main event
  • Middle Easy : Alexandre Pantoja Outsmarts Steve Erceg To Razor-Close Decision, Retains Title – UFC 301 Results (Highlights)
  • MMAFighting.com : ‘I just didn’t see it’: Pros score Alexandre Pantoja vs. Steve Erceg at UFC 301
  • MMA Junkie : Social media reacts to Alexandre Pantoja's title defense over Steve Erceg at UFC 301
  • MMA Mania : LIVE! Watch UFC 301 Post-Fight Presser Here
  • Bad Left Hook : ‘Canelo carried him the whole fight’: Bud Crawford and more pros react to Canelo vs Munguia
  • MMA Mania : Highlights! Canelo Hands Munguia First Career Knockdown