Tapology Forums

Thoughts on GSP...

Anonymous Mode

You are not logged in to Tapology. When browsing anonymously, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

geezhound
geezhound
  • Predictions:  6,745  |  61.3%
  • Forum Posts:  3,297
  • Post Score: 193

05.01.2011 | 1:17 AM ET

You just beat a opponent who was on a 15 fight win streak....at the BIGGEST UFC event of all time..... in front of your HOME crowd of 55,000 screaming fans!

Then you're asked if you want to fight the(arguably) GREATEST p4p fighter in MMA history in the ABSOLUTE BIGGEST fight in MMA history and your answer is.............I don't know?!.... Maybe we'll sit down and talk about it?!

Really?

"Never underestimate the predictability of stupidity."

Responses Page 4

Kalibo
Kalibo
  • Predictions:  33,130  |  62.8%
  • Forum Posts:  16,800
  • Post Score: 185

05.02.2011 | 9:03 PM ET

"hating" on a fighter can mean a lot of things... accusations of certian things imo can be considered hate.  It is just how I use the terminology.  I don't mean people hate the fighter.. I guess more like "hating" on them.  I hope that makes sense.  I don't think I would ever accuse a fighter of say, for example, ducking anyone.  They fight for a living.   Anywho... it is obvious that Sat night left a bad taste in most people's mouth regarding GSP. 

Anyone see Gracie's comments about GSP and Greg Jackson?  Well, mostly about Jackson.  It was an interesting read... I did not know GSP did not train there for this fight.

"All men can see these tactics whereby I conquer, but what none can see is the strategy out of which victory is evolved" – Sun Tzu, "The Art of War"

Piercerdan
Piercerdan
  • Predictions:  22,712  |  61.1%
  • Forum Posts:  5,987
  • Post Score: 212

05.02.2011 | 9:04 PM ET

Ive said it before and im sure ill say it many more times i think bj penn would have a better fight with anderson due to his aggressive and quick striking mixed with his chin and sub game, the same could be said about nick diaz too.  I also think shields and fitch would do better due to there solid chins and their length to get in for the take down to implement their games. Yet gsp handles all of those guys with relative ease.

"Fact: knowledge or info based on real occurrences, opinion: a belief held with confidence not substantiated by proof."

Piercerdan
Piercerdan

05.02.2011 | 9:07 PM ET

@kalibo haters gonna hate ;) I found them interesting also.  Gsp should give credit where credit is due but maybe the greg jackson presence and banner is because he worked with jackson for gameplan and really they could do that over emails if they wanted. Jackson is a good coach but maybe the bjj defence took priority over going to jacksons actual gym?

"Fact: knowledge or info based on real occurrences, opinion: a belief held with confidence not substantiated by proof."

Piercerdan
Piercerdan

05.02.2011 | 9:08 PM ET

geezhound
geezhound

05.02.2011 | 9:10 PM ET

Just for the record, I don't hate GSP at all. I just don't understand why he thinks moving up in weight for 1 fight means he has to stay at 185. Will his body lose it's natural ability to cut weight? No, he's terrified of losing and knows he will get murdered by Silva.
I agree that Diaz would be the logical fight, then after that we should push for a superfight with Silva because seriously.. what is left at 170? Fitch/GSP ll? Good luck selling that one, Dana.  There's nothing there for him anymore.

Kalibo
Kalibo

05.02.2011 | 9:12 PM ET

@Pierce..lol!  +1! 

Seriously though... I just can not wait until his next fight is announced!  Lets hope he doesn't need the Franklin eye poke surgery.

"All men can see these tactics whereby I conquer, but what none can see is the strategy out of which victory is evolved" – Sun Tzu, "The Art of War"

Kalibo
Kalibo

05.02.2011 | 9:14 PM ET

@geez.. I wasn't even thinking about your post(s).  You're right though.. I hope it is Diaz and they can be the next TUF coaches and fight at the end of the year card.  Ratings would sore, Diaz would make his money while training doing the show and Dana would give him a nice pay day for it.

Bigj383
Bigj383
  • Predictions:  8,546  |  63.8%
  • Forum Posts:  5,417
  • Post Score: 187

05.02.2011 | 9:16 PM ET

GSP has a strong belief that moving up in weight ruined Roy Jones Jr's career. Not really moving up but moving back down. I'm sure he doesn't want to give up that size difference either. We aren't moving up to fight just a bigger fighter we are talking about moving up to fight a bigger fighter named Anderson Silva who has embarrassed very good fighters who are much larger than GSP. But moving up in weight and moving back down can screw with your timing and distancing there is more to it at least for GSP than just simply fighting. Him losing vision in one eye during the fight was bad enough.  There will always be more fights for GSP at 170 there are new fighters coming up all the time. Ask yourself where Jon Jones was 2 years ago, Where was Phil Davis just over 1 year ago. New fighters pop up all the time and one day one will pop up who is very dangerous. 

"It does not make sense that humans deliberately malfunction. - Upgrade"

Piercerdan
Piercerdan

05.02.2011 | 9:16 PM ET

@geezhound whats the point of taking a fight against someone you know youll lose against? Why put your body through a change only to try and reverse it later?  Gaining the muscle to move up in weight is hard.  It changes your timing a lot and it makes you more likely to get tired.  When anderson went up in weight he got fights that played into his style, gsp is being asked to move up against a much bigger opponent that will beat him.

Piercerdan
Piercerdan

05.02.2011 | 9:19 PM ET

@170 i want to see gsp fight diaz condit swick diego and ellenberger. Not to mention id kind of like a rematch against shields and thiago.  That right there is 7 fights.  At the rate gsp has been fighting thats 2 to 4 years worth of fights.

Kalibo
Kalibo

05.02.2011 | 9:21 PM ET

Def think Diaz/Condit.  Ellenberger if he can win another two fights.  Rick Story has got to be mentioned as well.  Anthony Johnson... there are fights for him.

Piercerdan
Piercerdan

05.02.2011 | 9:22 PM ET

wasnt even thinking of story or good old aj!!

geezhound
geezhound

05.02.2011 | 9:29 PM ET

@Piercerdan, I guess there is no point doing the fight if he's content going down in history as the 2nd best P4P fighter of his day.
If I was him, I'd kinda' want to know for sure who was the best.

Kalibo
Kalibo

05.02.2011 | 9:31 PM ET

I think he would agree to a catch weight fight at 180.. a one time deal.  P4P is just that, so a catch weight fight for a superfight between fighters who operate in different weight classes is ideal.

gspisoverrated
gspisoverrated
  • Predictions:  331  |  56.5%
  • Forum Posts:  169
  • Post Score: 29

05.02.2011 | 9:38 PM ET

I don't think GSP ever planned on changing weight classes, he always answers with a maybe. I don't think its in his best interest, and to be honest he has not at all cleared out the welterweight division. There are at least five opponents he needs to beat to clear out the division and by the time he does that who knows what the rankings will look like that with all of the up and coming fighters.

"I fear not the man who has practiced 10,000 kicks once, but I fear the man who has practiced one kick 10,000 times. "

Piercerdan
Piercerdan

05.02.2011 | 9:40 PM ET

Catch weight is silly, if gsp wins he should be the mw champ because anderson cant make 170 anymore.  I think hes arguably number 1 anyways and p4p doesnt mean you have to fight someone to be higher ranked because its about if they were the same size who would win and since gsp cant be the same size as anderson their fight wouldnt make a difference. Also while i agree if i was in the situation Id want to know as well i dont think gsp needs to move up in weight to go down as the number one p4p he just needs to start finishing again.  If he subbed or koed his next 5 opponents i think he'd be the clear cut p4p even without a fight with anderson. 

geezhound
geezhound

05.02.2011 | 9:41 PM ET

The whole point of this thread is that (virtually) everyone knows that GSP has the physical ability to pose a serious threat to Silva and prove that he is HANDS DOWN the greatest fighter of this era or any other, but is terrified to do it.
The time is right, the opportunity is there, he could name his own price and set his own date, fill any venue on earth and break every PPV record ever set. He just won't do it.

Kalibo
Kalibo

05.02.2011 | 10:04 PM ET

Geez.. you are probably right. 

themysticalninja
themysticalninja
  • Predictions:  1,219  |  59.5%
  • Forum Posts:  1,725
  • Post Score: 123

05.02.2011 | 10:38 PM ET

I really don't think GSP is afraid of his WW status or his P4P position. He's not Floyd Mayweather Junior! I do agree he's being cautious but more in that needs to plan rather then instantly say "yeah lets do it".

For one we Still have Silva vs Okami to get through.

Also moving up and down in weight is quite damaging to the body without preperation.

"Go get some Donald CER-ROE-NAY!" - Greg Jackson

Bigj383
Bigj383
  • Predictions:  8,546  |  63.8%
  • Forum Posts:  5,417
  • Post Score: 187

05.03.2011 | 1:30 AM ET

If he has a mental block about fighting Silva he shouldn't fight Silva. He has no obligation to being typically 15 lbs smaller when they normally step on the scale. Could GSP beat Silva? maybe. Should he have to? No. This isn't a question of two people in the same weight class not fighting each other this is two champion in two separate weight classes. Neither should get flack for not fighting there are very good fighters in their own weight class they have to deal with. 

"It does not make sense that humans deliberately malfunction. - Upgrade"

Page 4

You must be signed in to reply. Sign in or register to join the discussion.

As an anonymous reader, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

• Jits Magazine : Craig Jones Announces Brand New 3 Million Dollar BJJ Tournament
  • UFC.com : UFC Welcomes Anker As Its Official Charging Partner In The Middle East And Africa
  • Jits Magazine : Mo Jassim Announces Women’s Absolute Division For ADCC 2024
  • MMA Mania : Midnight Mania: Miserable, Mean, And We Can’t Stand Her
  • MMA Mania : PFL Salt Lake City Fight Card Revealed!
  • MMA Junkie : Bogdan Guskov proud to be first Uzbekistan fighter to enter UFC rankings: 'This is my history'
  • Middle Easy : Joe Rogan Sides with Jamahal Hill in UFC 300 KO Controversy: ‘He’s Got a Point Here’
  • MMA Junkie : Victor Henry quotes Kim Kardashian after UFC on ESPN 55 bounce back from groin-shot no contest
  • MMA Mania : ‘PFL Is Not Making A Lot Of Money’
  • MMA Mania : ‘He Literally Is Always In Trouble’
  • MMAFighting.com : Beneil Dariush announced as 2024 Forrest Griffin Community Award recipient
  • UFC.com : Five Caio Borralho Fights To Watch Before UFC 301: Pantoja vs Erceg
  • Middle Easy : Jake Paul vs. Mike Tyson Will Be Sanctioned as a Professional Boxing Match
  • MMA Junkie : Tatiana Suarez confident she could impose her will against Zhang Weili: 'My grappling is very, very good'
  • MMAFighting.com : ‘UFC 301 countdown’ video
  • MMA Mania : Sorry, Bobby! ‘Baddy’ Vs. Moicano ‘Would Be Very, Very Funny’
  • UFC.com : Main Event Spotlight | UFC 301: Pantoja vs Erceg
  • MMAFighting.com : Anthony Hernandez out of UFC 302 fight with Roman Dolidze
  • Middle Easy : Francis Ngannou Shares Heartbreaking Message Following the Tragic Death of His 15-Month-Old Son
  • Middle Easy : Francis Ngannou Shares Heartbreaking Message Following the Tragic Death of His 18-Month-Old Son