Tapology Forums

Thoughts on GSP...

Anonymous Mode

You are not logged in to Tapology. When browsing anonymously, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

geezhound
geezhound
  • Predictions:  6,745  |  61.3%
  • Forum Posts:  3,297
  • Post Score: 193

05.01.2011 | 1:17 AM ET

You just beat a opponent who was on a 15 fight win streak....at the BIGGEST UFC event of all time..... in front of your HOME crowd of 55,000 screaming fans!

Then you're asked if you want to fight the(arguably) GREATEST p4p fighter in MMA history in the ABSOLUTE BIGGEST fight in MMA history and your answer is.............I don't know?!.... Maybe we'll sit down and talk about it?!

Really?

"Never underestimate the predictability of stupidity."

Responses Page 3

themysticalninja
themysticalninja
  • Predictions:  1,219  |  59.5%
  • Forum Posts:  1,725
  • Post Score: 123

05.02.2011 | 5:49 PM ET

I don't see what the fuss is in GSP saying "we shall see" in regards to him fighting Silva. We've seen guys go up (or down) in weight and have it affect them in a negative way. Even at Catchweight GSP would need to see how the weight gain would affect him.

Then there is the fact that Silva has to get past Yushin Okami. I think many of us are overlooking that fight expecting Silva to destroy/dance his way to victory. GSP probably senses there is no point in getting too excited at this prospect when Silva still has a oppenent to face.

I just think GSP isn't going to commit himself fully without thinking about it. The man went through a pretty gruelling battle, which before and during the fight he was thinking how he was going to beat Shields not "oh boy! Me fighting Silva would be so awesome!"

@Kalibo He didn't look bad he just looked good instead of great. If GSP had "shut down" then we would have seen Shields crowned as the new champ.

"Go get some Donald CER-ROE-NAY!" - Greg Jackson

minotauro11
minotauro11
  • Predictions:  2,483  |  66.5%
  • Forum Posts:  4,493
  • Post Score: 148

05.02.2011 | 6:08 PM ET

GSP is waiting for Silva to lose or get old. GSP should be fighting Silva, but he's been dodging that fight since UFC 100, in my opinion.

"We Are All One"

jersey0525
jersey0525
  • Predictions:  2,766  |  60.6%
  • Forum Posts:  4,536
  • Post Score: 188

05.02.2011 | 6:17 PM ET

@minotauro11 i should just copy "i disagree with you" and paste it after you post...cuz i again COMPLETELY disagree...

gsp is "ducking" silva? really? REALLY? it doesn't make since! silva is a HUGE 185er, gsp is average size 170...to make 185, he would be throwing away any future at 170...period..he can't go up and down sucessfully..see roy jones jr...dude went up too far, and suffered for the rest of his career...

btw, diaz can and WILL beat gsp so it won't matter.

"im an OT (ORIGINAL TAPOLOGIST), I used to write for cagepages.com. NO ONE CAN TAKE THAT LEFT HAND SHOT"

Gregory
Gregory
  • Predictions:  6,817  |  63.3%
  • Forum Posts:  18,564
  • Post Score: 275

05.02.2011 | 6:23 PM ET

At GSP's level and with how much money he stands to make or not make for himself and the UFC, it's complicated whether or not he goes to fight Anderson.  I don't think it's a matter of ducking.  And he's a welterweight! Why should be forced to go fight at middleweight?

As for Nick Diaz, clearly it's the most compelling fight to be made at 170 right now. I'd love to see the fight and would favor GSP.

"I live, I die, I live again."

jersey0525
jersey0525
  • Predictions:  2,766  |  60.6%
  • Forum Posts:  4,536
  • Post Score: 188

05.02.2011 | 6:30 PM ET

@gregory agree with u....on alot of things..

if gsp moves up...his welterweight days ARE OVER...he would make the jump permanently...and then the importance of the ufc 170 belt would be diminished..because they would be the champ..by default..just like 185 belt if silva retired....just to me

"im an OT (ORIGINAL TAPOLOGIST), I used to write for cagepages.com. NO ONE CAN TAKE THAT LEFT HAND SHOT"

minotauro11
minotauro11

05.02.2011 | 6:37 PM ET

I never said GSP was ducking Silva. I'm going to say that again, I NEVER SAID HE IS DUCKING SILVA. When I said he is dodging that fight, it's true. Rogan says "Do you want that fight" and he's just like, "ehhhhh maybe.....". I realize there's a huge size difference, but you ask Silva, he says "Yes". 

Also, Diaz will get laid on by GSP for 5 rounds, it'd be a really easy fight for St. Pierre....just sayin.

"We Are All One"

Gregory
Gregory

05.02.2011 | 6:40 PM ET

Wait what's the difference between ducking and dodging?

Piercerdan
Piercerdan
  • Predictions:  22,712  |  61.1%
  • Forum Posts:  5,987
  • Post Score: 212

05.02.2011 | 6:42 PM ET

@minotauro i agree that gsp would hold top position on diaz for the whole fight but i dont think it would be easy.  Diaz threatens well from the bottom and has crazy volume stand up so i think gsp would struggle but come out victorious.

"Fact: knowledge or info based on real occurrences, opinion: a belief held with confidence not substantiated by proof."

minotauro11
minotauro11

05.02.2011 | 7:06 PM ET

@gregory, what I meant by saying dodging, not ducking, is just that he's refusing this fight and working around it. I think saying ducking implies that he's scared. I don't think he's scared, I don't know why he doesn't want the fight (I said he's waiting until he gets old or whatever, but I take that back, I don't think that's actually true).

And @piercedan, how would volume punching help if you're on your back the whole time? The submissions off his back did well against a gassed Gomi and Cyborg, but GSP has tremendous cardio, and great composure. People like to forget that Diaz got controlled by Diego Sanchez, and (if I'm not mistaken) Riggs and Sherk. Yeah, I know, fighters improve, but GSP right now is worlds ahead of where Sanchez, Riggs and Sherk will ever be.  I love jiu-jitsu, but outside of the super elite guys like Maia, Jacare or Roger Gracie, it doesn't work off of your back against great wrestlers. 

"We Are All One"

Kalibo
Kalibo
  • Predictions:  33,130  |  62.8%
  • Forum Posts:  16,800
  • Post Score: 185

05.02.2011 | 7:31 PM ET

I still don't understand the diff between ducking and dodging.  It is the same thing with multiple of reasonings behind them both, but the bottom line is you are avoiding.  I agree with @Pierce and also GSP may not even take it to the ground as much as people think he would.

MMAth just doesn't work.. I hate comparing 5 year old fights of fighters to today. 

I think GSP ends up fighting Diaz before Anderson anyway b/c of public perception now.

"All men can see these tactics whereby I conquer, but what none can see is the strategy out of which victory is evolved" – Sun Tzu, "The Art of War"

giosanti
giosanti
  • Predictions:  1,464  |  66.1%
  • Forum Posts:  340
  • Post Score: 131

05.02.2011 | 7:32 PM ET

GSP's reluctance to go up in weight mirrors his fighting style: He'd risk losing fights by going up to 185, just like he'd risk losing fights by trying to finish. He'd risk throwing away security as the #1 WW, just like he'd risk throwing away security of winning decisions. He'd be likely to be successful at 185, just like he'd be likely to be successful were he to try to finish.

"I'm what counts out here. You only exist out here because of me."

Piercerdan
Piercerdan

05.02.2011 | 7:34 PM ET

@mino his volume punching would keep gsp back a bit.  Hes great against hard hitters that dont throw alot but i cant remember when hes fought someone that punches as much as diaz.  I think it would make that first takedown take longer to get thats all.

"Fact: knowledge or info based on real occurrences, opinion: a belief held with confidence not substantiated by proof."

minotauro11
minotauro11

05.02.2011 | 7:54 PM ET

@giosanti, great point. He's very cautious, and is content at being the best and I think he feels that he doesn't really have to prove it (I think he does).
And Piercedan, yeah that makes since, the jab could help, but in the end, the only possible weakness GSP has is his chin. That's not even a fact or a glaring weakness, just the only kind of striker that can't deal with his wrestling who can beat him is a guy who can land a big punch (like Serra did). I don't think Diaz has the power to do that, and his striking won't save him from being taken down at will. 

Just for the record, I'm not exactly a GSP fan, so don't think this is my usual bias. If I'm not mistaken, not only is he not in my top 100, he's not even near it.

"We Are All One"

Kalibo
Kalibo

05.02.2011 | 8:01 PM ET

Ugh.  I just went through these pages again and the GSP haters are ever present.  My thoughts on GSP is (getting back on topic) that he is the best WW that ever lived and he should stay at WW, with maybe an occasional super fight at catch weight.  Us fans love the superfights, sure..  but from GSP's point of view, what would be the point?  If you look at the top 3-5 fighters ever in each weight class, just a small fraction actually moved up to fight.

"All men can see these tactics whereby I conquer, but what none can see is the strategy out of which victory is evolved" – Sun Tzu, "The Art of War"

Piercerdan
Piercerdan

05.02.2011 | 8:04 PM ET

@mino Completely agree with you on diaz going down just think hed do better than some because of his strengths. As for him moving up hes not tall or long enough to do that well.  Look at wand against the ufcs lhws, sure hed still smash a lot of them but he ended up struggling because everyone was 2-5 inches taller than him with crazy reach.  Look at what jones did to shogun, i think a lot of that was because of length.  

minotauro11
minotauro11

05.02.2011 | 8:05 PM ET

I think the point (of the superfight) would be to prove he is the number one fighter in the world. Most fighters fight for honor I guess, and they want to show they are the best, and they want to give the fans what they want (obviously something GSP isn't exactly concerned with)

"We Are All One"

Kalibo
Kalibo

05.02.2011 | 8:08 PM ET

It settles the P4P debate once and for all... idk.  GSP has shown everyone he is the best..WW.  I don't know... I think if it is a superfight, it should be a catch weight bout to make it more of a P4P situation and so no belt is on the line... so they could continue their reign in their own class when the fight is over. 

minotauro11
minotauro11

05.02.2011 | 8:09 PM ET

@Piercedan, true enough, but I think with GSP's style length wouldn't make a huge difference. He's a grinder. Reach makes a huge difference in the striking game, but in grappling, especially wrestling, being the shorter guy can be a strength.

"We Are All One"

Gregory
Gregory

05.02.2011 | 8:10 PM ET

@Kalibo I think a lot of it is just questions and disappointment about what happened in the fight, not necessarily hate.

Piercerdan
Piercerdan

05.02.2011 | 9:02 PM ET

and with anderson having the greater length and the superior striking it makes gsp have a much harder time getting in close enough to take anderson down and proceed to grind or look for submissions.  Gsp doesnt have the willingness to get hit the way chael or hendo or palhares do and hes shorter than two of them.  Gsp wants to be the best welterweight and he fights to win so he will go down as a very dominant welterweight.  He knows middleweight would be harder because of his lack in height.  

Page 3

You must be signed in to reply. Sign in or register to join the discussion.

As an anonymous reader, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

• MMA Mania : Aspinall Pans Manchester PPV Start Time: ‘It’s Terrible’
  • Jits Magazine : Craig Jones Announces Brand New 3 Million Dollar BJJ Tournament
  • UFC.com : UFC Welcomes Anker As Its Official Charging Partner In The Middle East And Africa
  • Jits Magazine : Mo Jassim Announces Women’s Absolute Division For ADCC 2024
  • MMA Mania : Midnight Mania: Miserable, Mean, And We Can’t Stand Her
  • MMA Mania : PFL Salt Lake City Fight Card Revealed!
  • MMA Junkie : Bogdan Guskov proud to be first Uzbekistan fighter to enter UFC rankings: 'This is my history'
  • Middle Easy : Joe Rogan Sides with Jamahal Hill in UFC 300 KO Controversy: ‘He’s Got a Point Here’
  • MMA Junkie : Victor Henry quotes Kim Kardashian after UFC on ESPN 55 bounce back from groin-shot no contest
  • MMA Mania : ‘PFL Is Not Making A Lot Of Money’
  • MMA Mania : ‘He Literally Is Always In Trouble’
  • MMAFighting.com : Beneil Dariush announced as 2024 Forrest Griffin Community Award recipient
  • UFC.com : Five Caio Borralho Fights To Watch Before UFC 301: Pantoja vs Erceg
  • Middle Easy : Jake Paul vs. Mike Tyson Will Be Sanctioned as a Professional Boxing Match
  • MMA Junkie : Tatiana Suarez confident she could impose her will against Zhang Weili: 'My grappling is very, very good'
  • MMAFighting.com : ‘UFC 301 countdown’ video
  • MMA Mania : Sorry, Bobby! ‘Baddy’ Vs. Moicano ‘Would Be Very, Very Funny’
  • UFC.com : Main Event Spotlight | UFC 301: Pantoja vs Erceg
  • MMAFighting.com : Anthony Hernandez out of UFC 302 fight with Roman Dolidze
  • Middle Easy : Francis Ngannou Shares Heartbreaking Message Following the Tragic Death of His 15-Month-Old Son