Topic: Jones vs. Sonnen

Jones vs. Sonnen

Anonymous Mode

You are not logged in to Tapology. When browsing anonymously, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

Oddsbot
Oddsbot
  • Predictions:  8,768  |  73.9%
  • Forum Posts:  17,644
  • Post Score: 60

11.07.2012 | 11:12 PM ET

Prediction: correct Jones   wrong Decision  

This is the official discussion thread for Jones vs. Sonnen. Let's see what you've got.

"This is the droid you're looking for."

Responses Page 3

DelRose
DelRose

01.27.2013 | 7:54 AM ET

Prediction: correct Jones   correct KO/TKO   correct Round 1  

When was the last time Jones got taken down?

"That hole is tighter than a nuns nasty"

Gebe
Gebe
  • Predictions:  2,174  |  62.0%
  • Forum Posts:  1,292
  • Post Score: 198

01.27.2013 | 9:16 AM ET

Prediction: wrong Sonnen   wrong Decision  

There is a first time for everything. Once in their lifes no one was taken down

"Fighter by day, Lover by night"

fungi
fungi
  • Predictions:  2,267  |  54.8%
  • Forum Posts:  110
  • Post Score: 444

01.27.2013 | 10:15 AM ET

My prediction is just wishful thinking. Chael winning would be funny :)
otherwise, iz gonna be hard to defeat Bones.

but they r friendz now, so it don't matter.

"zero sum game. some lose, some gain."

JudoRandori
JudoRandori

01.30.2013 | 4:44 AM ET

Prediction: correct Jones   wrong Submission   wrong Round 3  

This fight has submission written all over it.
WishIsHere
WishIsHere
  • Predictions:  24,429  |  64.4%
  • Forum Posts:  7,003
  • Post Score: 232

02.23.2013 | 1:27 AM ET

Prediction: correct Jones   wrong Submission   wrong Round 2  

"I bought a Bruno mars cd once - gunn4206"

Live2wrestle
Live2wrestle
  • Predictions:  22,482  |  63.5%
  • Forum Posts:  11,857
  • Post Score: 236

02.23.2013 | 1:29 AM ET

Prediction: correct Jones   wrong Submission   wrong Round 2  

I know how this will really unfold and it involves Minowaman and a robotically enhanced Saku

"She be curvin all the locals, must like foreigns and this is when I had the Martin, I was just like Lawrence so wassup"

joe kerr
joe kerr
  • Predictions:  244,789  |  68.9%
  • Forum Posts:  4,850
  • Post Score: 267

02.23.2013 | 7:34 AM ET

Prediction: correct Jones   correct KO/TKO   wrong Round 2  

Not to mention a drastic overhaul of the way MMA is fought, judged and ranked, broken dreams, promises, careers and an ascension. But one man's dreams come true and that's what matters. Even if one of them turns out to be a boo ya.

"If the enemy rejects the ground, I would take him down by tackle. Why didn’t he [Royler] do so? May I introduce him to a good coach? His tackle was... like a girl’s one... Mr. Royler, how are you feeling?" - Kazushi Sakuraba

Signal1
Signal1
  • Predictions:  210  |  62.4%
  • Forum Posts:  72
  • Post Score: 167

02.27.2013 | 1:07 AM ET

Wow. A Lot of negativity towards Sonnen. You have to respect a guy who fought and punished Anderson Silva for 5 rounds. It was a dam shame Sonnen made a single mistake which cost him the fight but there is no disputing that Sonnen should have taken the title from Silva on that day.

Silva was almost knocked out by Sonnen on three occasions. Silva was taken down so many times and had absolutely no answer to his wrestling. Silva was smashed consistantly for 5 rounds and could not get off his back.

Im actually going to change my pick out of dam respect to Sonnen.

Sonnen to win via decision.

"Knowledge is Power"

MadMikeXD
MadMikeXD

02.27.2013 | 1:43 AM ET

@Signal1
Not only is Anderson's glaring weakness his wrestling,Its perhaps Jones' biggest strength.So to compare the two fights is pointless.

Moving on...
The only reason Chael has a chance in this fight,Is because nothing is impossible.Its funny seeing people try to convince themselves that Sonnen has a reasonable chance.If you are going to pick Sonnen that's fine,But at least admit you are award hunting.
Signal1
Signal1

02.27.2013 | 2:07 AM ET

@ MadMikeXD

Hey, its only my opinion and a humble one at that. All I am saying is that if people believe that Andrson Silva has a chance at beating Jon Jones, then a man who absolutely dominated Silva can not be ruled out...

Thats all. I have no doubt that Jones will more than likely walk out a winner, and I am indeed not betting with my head on this one.

Dont forget that Silva is one of if not the best strikers in the world right?

Sonnen stood with Silva and almost knocked him out three times. Sonnen stood, treded blows and came off on top with more significant strikes in their first fight. So Sonnen outclassed Silver not only in his weakness, but his strength.

That is all.

"Knowledge is Power"

MadMikeXD
MadMikeXD

02.27.2013 | 2:22 AM ET

I don't necessarily agree,I still see what your point is though.

Oh and my mistake.The second part of my post:

"The only reason Chael has a chance in this fight,Is because nothing is impossible.Its funny seeing people try to convince themselves that Sonnen has a reasonable chance.If you are going to pick Sonnen that's fine,But at least admit you are award hunting."

was not directed towards you.My bad.I should have been more clear.

yossgold
yossgold
  • Predictions:  67,552  |  62.2%
  • Forum Posts:  14,550
  • Post Score: 295

02.27.2013 | 2:28 AM ET

Prediction: correct Jones   wrong Submission   correct Round 1  

@Signal1, MMA math doesn't work ... styles make fights is the oldest cliche in the book, and for good reason not "if this guy beat this guy then that guy should beat this guy", that doesn't work, every fight is different (otherwise how would you explain two fighters fighting twice in a period of a year and each fight looking totally different?) ... Sonnen dominated Silva because his only tiny ***** in his armor is his wrestling defense (Lutter also showed that), which he makes up with by also being able to finish fights off of his back ... Jon Jones won't have that problem because a) he can keep him at bay with his reach and and make it much tougher to take him down and pressure and b) his wrestling is amazing and he's too big to be manhandled and pressured like that. 

So Chael's only weapon is something that Jones can easily brush off.

The way I see it, the only people who can beat Jones today are fast strikers (that have a puncher's chance), top 5 heavyweights and Anderson Silva ... oh, and maybe, mayyybeee Gustafsson, if he can use his speed to point box him and somehow manage to avoid the takedown ... but that's one heck of a maybe.

No wrestler with no striking or BJJ is ever going to even put Jones in danger.

And I love Chael, it's just the reality ... 

* Edited at 02.27.2013, 2:35 AM ET *

"Hay lohh you Mike, ay lov you Mike. Hyou say somesing like di fo me, and naw I say you ... I LOV YOU! See you som. Boy." -- Yoel Romero, UFC 205

Signal1
Signal1

02.27.2013 | 4:00 AM ET

@ Yossgold

"The way I see it, the only people who can beat Jones today are fast strikers (that have a puncher's chance), top 5 heavyweights and Anderson Silva"

Exactly my point. Sonnen out striked Silva in their first fight. So anyone who can out strike Silva has a reasonable chance. Only my humble opinion :)

Rewatch their fight and see just how well Sonnen out striked Silva.

@MadMikeXD, as I said, I believe Jones will walk away with the win, but you can not rule Sonnen out. Everyone did that with him against Silva.

"Knowledge is Power"

Gebe
Gebe
  • Predictions:  2,174  |  62.0%
  • Forum Posts:  1,292
  • Post Score: 198

02.27.2013 | 5:30 AM ET

we all know if Sonnen does not get KTFO he's gonna push the pace for 5 round, no one did that to Jones yet.

It will be interesting if Sonnen can avoid getting KO's or subbed. If it goes the long way the results can be suprising

"Fighter by day, Lover by night"

MikeLovesTacos XD
MikeLovesTacos XD
  • Predictions:  30,422  |  59.3%
  • Forum Posts:  22,488
  • Post Score: 203

02.27.2013 | 7:00 AM ET

Prediction: correct Jones   wrong Submission   wrong Round 4  

Chances of Sonnen getting KTFO by Jones are very slim ...

"Why are you booing me? I am the GOAT. **** you." - Patricio "Pitbull" Freire

JustynOfOsiris
JustynOfOsiris
  • Predictions:  4,334  |  57.2%
  • Forum Posts:  3,239
  • Post Score: 122

02.27.2013 | 2:28 PM ET

This will be an interesting fight for sure. On paper Jones has the advantage everywhere except for maybe wrestling. However I don't think looking at this fight will be that simple. If Chael Sonnen can get Jones to the ground I really think he will be able to dominate him there and win a UD. At the same time if Sonnen falls into the hand fighting game with Jones like so many of his opponents before it's going to be a long night for him.
I don't think either fighter will get the finish because in my opinion Jones' jitz isn't good enough to sub Chael nor will he be able to knock Sonnen out. A TKO is possible but this is a very intriguing fight. 

"Is reality really realistic?"

Yaspaa
Yaspaa
  • Predictions:  173  |  73.4%
  • Forum Posts:  1,422
  • Post Score: 151

02.27.2013 | 2:52 PM ET

Jones will own him in the wrestling too, it doesn't matter how good a wrestler Sonnen is, Jones has just too much leverage. It's just another lamb to slaughter. Jones will get the finish. Those are some lofty delusions of your hero there.

"I Get Better."

amp112
amp112
  • Predictions:  37,156  |  62.2%
  • Forum Posts:  5,588
  • Post Score: 208

02.27.2013 | 2:56 PM ET

Jones wins this just because whenever you have 2 elite wrestlers, it usually turns into a standing fight. Jones' striking is so much better than Sonnen's. Jones will stuff all the takedowns or at least get up immediately.
ED209
ED209
  • Predictions:  7,297  |  61.1%
  • Forum Posts:  3,437
  • Post Score: 213

02.27.2013 | 3:00 PM ET

Prediction: correct Jones   wrong Decision  

I don't think Chael can win. He's so talented but he always makes brutal mistakes. But this is likely to be harder than any other fight he's ever had... But he always surprises me. 

What I'm interested in is what we will learn from Bones in this fight, So interesting to see him display strengths and maybe even some weaknesses that you didn't see in his game before.

"30-26 Tim Boetsch"

amp112
amp112
  • Predictions:  37,156  |  62.2%
  • Forum Posts:  5,588
  • Post Score: 208

02.27.2013 | 3:05 PM ET

Yeah, this fight will be like any typical Jones fight. Toy with opponent for 2-3 rounds. Submit them.

Page 3

You must be signed in to reply. Sign in or register to join the discussion.

As an anonymous reader, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

• Jits Magazine : Ronin BJJ Camp Ibiza Combines Instruction And Location For The Ideal Training Camp
  • Middle Easy : Michael Bisping Suggests Tyson Fury vs. Francis Ngannou Rematch; Kamaru Usman Wants ‘Predator’ To Face Oleksandr Usyk
  • MMA Junkie : Cage Warriors featherweight Connor Hitchens dead at 26
  • MMA Junkie : Daniel Cormier warns Jon Jones about Stipe Miocic: 'If you overlook him, he will put you out'
  • MMAFighting.com : Eddie Hearn criticizes Ryan Garcia for ‘most stupid, childish behavior’ since positive drug tests
  • Middle Easy : Conor McGregor ‘Ecstatic’ After Learning About ‘Fat Rat’ Khabib Nurmagomedov’s Alleged Tax Issues With Russian Government
  • MMA Junkie : Chael Sonnen says he's boxing Jorge Masvidal in October as result of recent beef
  • MMA Mania : The Rock Unrecognizable In ‘The Smashing Machine’
  • MMAFighting.com : Matt Brown criticizes Jake Paul ‘trying to be f*cking hard’ talking trash to Mike Tyson: ‘So cringe’
  • MMA Mania : Murphy Cracks Top 15 In Latest UFC Rankings Update
  • MMA Junkie : Sean O'Malley releases footage of armed police storming house after hoax 'swatting' call
  • MMAFighting.com : UFC 304: Molly McCann’s return announced for Leon Edwards vs. Belal Muhammad 2 card
  • Bad Left Hook : ‘He can’t control his emotions’: Taylor confident he’s got the edge over Catterall
  • Bad Left Hook : ‘He can’t control his emotions’: Josh Taylor confident he’s got the edge over Jack Catterall
  • MMAFighting.com : Conor McGregor ‘currently in negotiation stage’ with UFC on new contract, still wants 3 fights in 2024
  • MMA Junkie : Conor McGregor takes aim at UFC's welterweight title picture: 'Leon Edwards loves a decision'
  • MMAFighting.com : Neeraj Goyat vs. Whindersson Nunes announced for Mike Tyson vs. Jake Paul undercard
  • MMA Mania : MVP Accepts Garry’s UFC 303 Callout
  • MMAFighting.com : Morning Report: Tyron Woodley equates final UFC fights to ‘a simulation,’ calls ‘Apex arena deal kinda whack’
  • MMA Mania : The End Of Pay-Per-View?