Topic: Nick Diaz

Nick Diaz to take on Fernando Vargas?

Anonymous Mode

You are not logged in to Tapology. When browsing anonymously, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

CashBrewyn
CashBrewyn
  • Predictions:  21,572  |  61.7%
  • Forum Posts:  4,045
  • Post Score: 212

04.14.2011 | 6:52 PM ET

http://www.cagepotato.com/according-to-trainer-and-manager-cesar-gracie-nick-diazs-next-fight-will-be-a-boxing-match-with-fernando-vargas-in-september/
Interesting..don't have much knowledge of boxing but Vargas is a name i know and see he is fighting this weekend after a 4 year hiatus..he's lost his last 3 fights

"My hearts pumpin' the blood of Royce Gracie My thoughts dumpin' the slug and point straightly"

Nick Diaz

Fighter Details

• Given Name: Nicholas Robert Diaz
  • Pro MMA Record: 26-10-0, 2 NC (Win-Loss-Draw)
  • Nickname: N/A
  • Current Streak: 3 Losses
  • Last Fight: September 25, 2021 in UFC
  • Weight Class: Middleweight | Last Weigh-In: 185.5 lbs
  • Affiliation: Cesar Gracie Jiu Jitsu
  • Height: 6'1" (185cm) | Reach: 76.0" (193cm)
  • Career Disclosed Earnings: $1,665,950 USD
  • Born: Stockton, California, United States
  • Fighting out of: Stockton, California
  • Fighter Links:
  • Personal Links:

Responses

WinningOne
WinningOne
  • Predictions:  256  |  64.8%
  • Forum Posts:  242
  • Post Score: 58

04.14.2011 | 6:55 PM ET

Should be interesting. Don't watch to much boxing so I can't call a winner.

"“I will knock your hair black” – Ken Shamrock to Ortiz"

Gregory
Gregory
  • Predictions:  6,817  |  63.3%
  • Forum Posts:  18,565
  • Post Score: 275

Yeah, surprising, huh?  I don't think Nick Diaz will find much success in boxing.   This might all be a negotiating ploy.... Diaz threatens to walk away from MMA, but Zuffa offers him a slightly better contract and everyone is happy.

"I live, I die, I live again."

kallousklown
kallousklown
  • Predictions:  24,203  |  62.6%
  • Forum Posts:  10,967
  • Post Score: 177

MMA fighters should stay in mma and boxers should stick to boxing.

"Are we gonna jump, or we just gonna jerk each other off?"

jeremy
jeremy
  • Predictions:  1,062  |  63.0%
  • Forum Posts:  819
  • Post Score: 168

04.14.2011 | 7:11 PM ET

I agree with Gregory's read. It's probably a bargaining ploy. He's been so frustrated with money lately, and certainly when it comes to putting asses in the seats in San Jose and Anaheim, he is the biggest star in the promotion by a good margin. He wants better paydays out of Coker and I think he should get them.

"Damn right I like the life I live / Cause I went from negative to positive."

Joker313
Joker313
  • Predictions:  34,431  |  65.4%
  • Forum Posts:  575
  • Post Score: 215

04.14.2011 | 7:14 PM ET

Excited for any fight that includes Nick Diaz.
Kalibo
Kalibo
  • Predictions:  33,130  |  62.8%
  • Forum Posts:  16,800
  • Post Score: 185

04.14.2011 | 7:31 PM ET

One of the things I like least about Diaz is his talk of $.  It has to be a negotiating ploy.

"All men can see these tactics whereby I conquer, but what none can see is the strategy out of which victory is evolved" – Sun Tzu, "The Art of War"

yankees1
yankees1
  • Predictions:  1,056  |  63.8%
  • Forum Posts:  321
  • Post Score: 86

04.14.2011 | 7:59 PM ET

• UPDATE: MMA Weekly spoke with Cesar Gracie and got an update about Diaz' possible boxing opponent:
  • "Actually, just heard Vargas might have medical issues. So we are looking at another opponent."
  • The plan is still for Diaz's next fight to be a professional boxing bout, but their sights have shifted to the possibility of him fighting former IBF super middleweight champion Jeff Lacy.

"Jones: I'm sure Shogun poops like I poop. "

ghostphantom563
ghostphantom563

04.14.2011 | 8:02 PM ET

I don't know about anyone else but this is a half interesting fight. It wouldn't be a half bad co-main event to something.

I'm curious as to how good Diaz's boxing really is and how much Vargas still has left.
Kalibo
Kalibo
  • Predictions:  33,130  |  62.8%
  • Forum Posts:  16,800
  • Post Score: 185

04.14.2011 | 8:31 PM ET

He'll be KO'd.  In boxing, you can't leave your hands down and taunt like that.  Nick is starting to irritate me a little bit with his tactics, in and outside the cage.

"All men can see these tactics whereby I conquer, but what none can see is the strategy out of which victory is evolved" – Sun Tzu, "The Art of War"

Piercerdan
Piercerdan
  • Predictions:  22,719  |  61.1%
  • Forum Posts:  5,987
  • Post Score: 212

04.14.2011 | 8:49 PM ET

Diaz would do well in boxing assuming he took on people at the right level of skill and worked his way up.  Similar to how strikeforce handles herschel walker.
I dont think hed get the boxing pay days he wants with his virtually no experience in the sport itself.

"Fact: knowledge or info based on real occurrences, opinion: a belief held with confidence not substantiated by proof."

BeastMaster
BeastMaster
  • Predictions:  1,958  |  59.8%
  • Forum Posts:  3,029
  • Post Score: 180

04.14.2011 | 9:09 PM ET

I don't think his style of boxing will do so good in a professional boxing match.

"Be peaceful, be courteous, obey the law, respect everyone; but if someone lays a hand on you, send him to the cemetery."

DV8ed Septum
DV8ed Septum
  • Predictions:  1,328  |  57.8%
  • Forum Posts:  559
  • Post Score: 142

04.14.2011 | 9:13 PM ET

He's going where the money is. I don't blame him a bit.

"Grrr."

RWLawman
RWLawman
  • Predictions:  2,583  |  63.1%
  • Forum Posts:  2,053
  • Post Score: 173

04.14.2011 | 9:32 PM ET

I didn't read the article, but if he's fighting under boxing rules he's in some trouble.  Fernando Vargas is no where near what he used to be in his prime, but he's still likely to dominate Diaz in a pure boxing match. 

" "Out of suffering have emerged the strongest souls; the most massive characters are seared with scars." - Khalil Gibran "

You must be signed in to reply. Sign in or register to join the discussion.

As an anonymous reader, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

• Middle Easy : Anthony Smith Says He’ll Submit Alex Pereira Within ‘5 Minutes’ In Grappling Match, ‘Poatan’ Can Pick ‘Any Martial Art’ He Wants
  • Bad Left Hook : ‘They tried but no lie stands’: Garcia claims vindication in PED scandal
  • Bad Left Hook : ‘They tried but no lie stands’: Ryan Garcia claims vindication in PED scandal
  • MMA Junkie : Aspen Ladd excited with switch from PFL to Bellator, still aims to become champion
  • MMAFighting.com : Colby Covington denies UFC offered him Ian Machado Garry: ‘We all know that he’s a cuck but now we know he’s a liar’
  • Jits Magazine : Helena Crevar Signs Exclusive UK Contract With Polaris
  • MMA Mania : Blachowicz Demands Pereira Rematch For Dec. Return
  • MMA Junkie : Colby Covington now open to Belal Muhammad matchup, 'super intrigued' by Khamzat Chimaev
  • MMAFighting.com : Report: Ryan Garcia cleared for 1 banned substance, Devin Haney responds
  • MMAFighting.com : The MMA Hour with Chael Sonnen, Mike Perry, Anthony Smith, and Cory Sandhagen at 1 p.m. ET
  • MMA Mania : Predictions, Odds, Analysis! UFC St. Louis, X-Factor
  • MMA Junkie : Sean O'Malley thinks Conor McGregor is jealous of him, open to 'legendary' fight at lightweight
  • MMA Mania : Further Drug Testing Clears Ryan (Sorta)
  • MMA Mania : Further Drug Testing Clears ‘King Ryan’ Of Nandrolone Use
  • MMA Mania : New UFC Deal With Saudi Arabia Includes ‘Big’ Event In 2025
  • MMA Junkie : Ryan Garcia still denies PED use but says he fought Devin Haney while 'high as f*ck'
  • MMAFighting.com : Morning Report: Sean O’Malley willing to move up to lightweight for ‘legendary’ Conor McGregor fight
  • MMA Mania : Bare Knuckle Bonanza! BYB Acquires UK-Based BKB
  • Jits Magazine : IBJJF San Jose Spring Open 2024 Produces Entertaining Highlights
  • Jits Magazine : 20 BJJ Basics, Concepts And Philosophy You Must Know