Topic: Jon Jones

So Jones is a Chicken?

Anonymous Mode

You are not logged in to Tapology. When browsing anonymously, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

Marvelous1LUFC
Marvelous1LUFC
  • Predictions:  69  |  46.4%
  • Forum Posts:  32
  • Post Score: 78

08.26.2012 | 5:18 PM ET

One thing im reading from People on facebook is that Jon Jones is a Chicken because he wont fight Chael Sonnen on 8 Days Notice since Dan Henderson is out and was out of the now discarded Event.

But my question is, Why SHOULD Jon Jones fight sonnen on 8 days notice just because Sonnen is using Social media to challenge people? Lets face it, Sonnen doesnt deserve to go from failed MW Title shot, to LHW Title shot without fighting some LHW Contenders first. Dana seems Pissed off at Jones by it, BUT Dana Stated himself that Sonnen was atleast 2 wins before hes considered the number one contender

One thing i dont like about Sonnen is he acts like he belongs in WWE with his good pal CM Punk, hey he did even show up on a TV Talk show with a Jakks UFC Toy belt and claimed he was undefeated MW Champ, and yet when it came down to the fight with Anderson Silva, That was the closest thing to a UFC Championship as he got

Maybe Just maybe he will go the Joe Riggs route, and if Velasquez (SP?) Or Overeem or even any scheduled opponent of Junior Dos Santos for the Heavyweight Title, does anyone think Chael Sonnen will log into his twitter account or go on a talk show, put on another 30 pounds and Challenge for the Heavyweight title

All im saying is i dont get the hate On Jon Jones rejecting Sonnen, when i believe Sonnen needs to beat some 205'ers before Calling Jones or whoever the champ of The LHW Weight class is at the time out

"Marching On Together!!"

Jon "Bones" Jones

Fighter Details

• Given Name: Jonathan Dwight Jones
  • Pro MMA Record: 27-1-0, 1 NC (Win-Loss-Draw)
  • Nickname: Bones
  • Current Streak: 18 Wins
  • Last Fight: March 04, 2023 in UFC
  • Weight Class: Heavyweight | Last Weigh-In: 248.0 lbs
  • Affiliation: Jackson Wink MMA
  • Height: 6'4" (194cm) | Reach: 84.5" (215cm)
  • Career Disclosed Earnings: $4,568,000 USD
  • Born: Rochester, New York, United States
  • Fighting out of: Albuquerque, New Mexico
  • Head Coach: Greg Jackson
  • Other Coaches: N/A
  • Fighter Links:
  • Personal Links:

Responses

TraeBlack
TraeBlack
  • Predictions:  20,832  |  60.3%
  • Forum Posts:  8,700
  • Post Score: 173

08.26.2012 | 5:23 PM ET

Everybody is ****ting on Bones because he didnt fight Sonnen to "save the card" thats where the hate is coming from. This card could not have sold with out Bones on the card, and Dana White got mad that he couldnt slide his cas cow in there, took his ball, and went home. Cant really blame Dana tho, hes not the president of the company, and Bones gave the final call to cancel the the event as a whole. Bones runs the company and he knows whats best for it. Jon Jones, UFC president acted the way he should have, cancel an event because the only person people paid to see didnt wanna take a joke fight.

"3HUNNA"

Lopati
Lopati
  • Predictions:  18,574  |  61.4%
  • Forum Posts:  13,352
  • Post Score: 179

08.26.2012 | 5:31 PM ET

WinkleJohn's thoughts

"One does not hunt in order to kill; on the contrary, one kills in order to have hunted. If one were to present the sportsman with the death of the animal as a gift he would refuse it." Jose Ortega y Gasset

blitzkrieg
blitzkrieg
  • Predictions:  4,528  |  61.0%
  • Forum Posts:  1,449
  • Post Score: 285

08.26.2012 | 5:37 PM ET

well, he does have chicken legs...

"@AndySalasMMA"

C_Arnoud
C_Arnoud
  • Predictions:  3,914  |  63.8%
  • Forum Posts:  2,448
  • Post Score: 200

08.26.2012 | 5:46 PM ET

i have already said that in another thread so excuse me. 
i have no problem with him not taking the fight.
however ive heard Jackson, Dana and this coach talk, the only one that i have not heard talking about it is himself.
i think thats kinda chicken.
blitzkrieg
blitzkrieg
  • Predictions:  4,528  |  61.0%
  • Forum Posts:  1,449
  • Post Score: 285

08.26.2012 | 5:54 PM ET

..but to be fair, I understand where Jones is coming from, he's on the verge of being the greatest of all time and why should he put that on the line just because Clown Sonnen called him out and to give the rest of the fighters a chance to collect. I do think he should've handled things differently but I can't say I disagree with his decision.

I should also say that JJ is on my ****list ranked like in #2, but for different reasons.

"@AndySalasMMA"

KnockoutsRock21
KnockoutsRock21
  • Predictions:  17,407  |  63.5%
  • Forum Posts:  1,011
  • Post Score: 251

08.26.2012 | 9:24 PM ET

Why people hate Jon Jones

Read the article other UFC fighters on the 151 card are quoted in.  Think about the thousands of people who planned trips to Las Vegas and rented hotel rooms, flights, cars, babysitters etc.  The fact that he refused to fight Sonnen reguardless of whether or not Sonnen deserved it is the reason everyone is hating on him.  He is and has always been selfish but he also contradicts himself all the time.  Last week he said he fights for money.  The Sonnen fight would make him more money than anyone else.  He also said he's never turned down a fight with anyone.  He also said he would crush Sonnen easily.  He *****ed out and cost alot of people alot of money.

"Superman wears Chuck Liddell pajamas"

DV8ed Septum
DV8ed Septum
  • Predictions:  1,328  |  57.8%
  • Forum Posts:  559
  • Post Score: 142

08.26.2012 | 11:05 PM ET

idk anymore. He was coming off a full camp preparing for a remarkably similar fighter….. So 8 days notice is misleading in a sense. He was peaking.  Chael should've been the one complaining about short notice.

Jon jones seems like a prima donna now.

he's like Mayweather to me in the sense that he feels his brand transcends the sport imo. 

i never liked him though so maybe im biased

"Grrr."

Live2wrestle
Live2wrestle
  • Predictions:  22,482  |  63.5%
  • Forum Posts:  11,857
  • Post Score: 236

08.26.2012 | 11:11 PM ET

@knockoutsRock, nailed it. If Chael such an easy opponent why not fight him, beat him, and collect your check (since he is so worried about the $$$)?

"She be curvin all the locals, must like foreigns and this is when I had the Martin, I was just like Lawrence so wassup"

jaykool777
jaykool777
  • Predictions:  25,528  |  61.6%
  • Forum Posts:  3,654
  • Post Score: 158

08.27.2012 | 2:42 AM ET

I hate to play devil's advocate here because I am pissed off that UFC 151 got cancelled, and Jones does deserve some of the blame, but Dana White needs to share some of that blame with him. Something came to mind to me the other day. Jon Jones has been preparing for the last 10 weeks to fight Dan Henderson. Henderson's been training with Chael Sonnen, so you know that Sonnen and Hendo have been watching all kinds of fight videos, gameplanning, and figuring out the weaknesses of Jon Jones, so in a sense, Sonnen has had just as much time as Hendo to prepare for Jon Jones, not just 8 days notice. Jones has been preparing to fight Hendo, not Sonnen, and no matter how many different ways you argue it, Sonnen and Hendo are two different fighters with two entirely different kinds of weaknesses. They are similiar styled fighters yes, but it's the suttle differences that you prepare for in a fight that could make the difference between victory or defeat.

I'm not saying that Jones shouldn't have taken the fight, but then again why should he? Really? What really ticks me off though, is now we're stuck with Jon Jones vs. Vitor Belfort for the main event at UFC 152. This really doesn't make sense to me. Jones won't fight Sonnen on 8 days notice, but he'll fight Belfort on 1 month's notice? One of the reasons that he turned down the fight with Sonnen is because Sonnen wasn't a contender at 205, well the way I see because of Belfort's inactivity, he's barely a contender at 185. It's **** like this that makes my afformentioned argument really credible. Jones may not be a chicken persay, but he's definitely hurting his career and his legacy with his actions that have gone over the past week.

When Jones beats Belfort, and I'm sure he will, the headlines aren't going to read, "Great performance by p4p great Jon Jones", the headlines are going to read, "Of course he beat Belfort, because he's easier and safer than Sonnen".

Jones said he didn't like the fight with Machida again, because it's lose/lose, well can't the same be said for his upcoming fight with Belfort and his refusal to fight Sonnen?

"Keep it punk rock!!!!"

LouieRayMMA
LouieRayMMA
  • Predictions:  3,125  |  61.5%
  • Forum Posts:  1
  • Post Score: 100

04.30.2024 | 4:30 PM ET

Bones

Fought twice in 4 years and is waiting on a scrub to retire. Bones Sux!

"Believing you can do anything, is half way to accomplishing anything!"

Joshjeffords
Joshjeffords
  • Predictions:  4,299  |  64.3%
  • Forum Posts:  6,306
  • Post Score: 136

04.30.2024 | 4:48 PM ET

This aged very poorly how many guy did he smoke since 2012, sure he is not doing much now and subbing a Frog barely counts.
Fran left not Jones fault also Covid blade Biden and Fauchi not Jones, Stipe and Jon been showing age with injuries etc.
His record is 10x Khabib but who is talking **** about that dude ducked so much his neck got sore. 

"“I took no damage,” Hill said. “Most of the fall was me falling down"

Calfoth
Calfoth
  • Predictions:  3,111  |  68.5%
  • Forum Posts:  1,851
  • Post Score: 174

04.30.2024 | 9:59 PM ET

Jon finally appeared at heavyweight after waiting for Ngannou to leave.

It doesn’t take 3 years to bulk and prepare for a heavyweight fight. 

And now bros ducking the only fight that matters in Aspinall

"POUND FOR POUND, HEADSHOT, DEAD - Leon Edwards "

foppa420
foppa420
  • Predictions:  2,058  |  65.0%
  • Forum Posts:  3,002
  • Post Score: 138

05.01.2024 | 9:32 AM ET

Jon Jones isn't ducking anybody. The UFC wants him to fight Stipe because the UFC owns his legacy. Marketing and making money will always take precedent over genuine competition in combat sports. This isn't news. Does anyone honestly think Jon Jones is oblivious to the fact that Stipe is a mummy? He obviously knows a fight with Aspinall is much more interesting from a competitive stand point. He doesn't get to make those decisions. Whats he supposed to do, argue?

Bones himself also seems pretty content and doesn't want to be doing this much longer anyway. If the UFC wants him to fight Stipe, and he knows he can smash him, is he supposed to argue? 
BrooksGladson
BrooksGladson
  • Predictions:  33  |  54.5%
  • Forum Posts:  17
  • Post Score: -12

05.01.2024 | 10:39 AM ET

@foppa420 
He has fooled himself into thinking himself of something he isn't
Calfoth
Calfoth
  • Predictions:  3,111  |  68.5%
  • Forum Posts:  1,851
  • Post Score: 174

05.01.2024 | 1:22 PM ET

Nothing to say about the fact Jon took a 3 year hiatus, waiting for ngannou to leave 

"POUND FOR POUND, HEADSHOT, DEAD - Leon Edwards "

BrooksGladson
BrooksGladson
  • Predictions:  33  |  54.5%
  • Forum Posts:  17
  • Post Score: -12

05.01.2024 | 1:46 PM ET

@Calfoth 
He knows that Francis would have put him in a coma
Kniferusty
Kniferusty
  • Predictions:  726  |  77.1%
  • Forum Posts:  1,182
  • Post Score: 185

05.01.2024 | 2:43 PM ET

Jones’ best weapon was the eye poke

* Edited at 05.01.2024, 2:49 PM ET *

"All my picks are backed by some type of real money wager. When I bet the house - I now have two houses"

Joshjeffords
Joshjeffords
  • Predictions:  4,299  |  64.3%
  • Forum Posts:  6,306
  • Post Score: 136

05.01.2024 | 4:03 PM ET

God that would have been glorious to see Fran land an uppercut or hook on Jones, still remember the Reem getting made weightless!

"“I took no damage,” Hill said. “Most of the fall was me falling down"

Kniferusty
Kniferusty
  • Predictions:  726  |  77.1%
  • Forum Posts:  1,182
  • Post Score: 185

05.03.2024 | 11:34 AM ET

Jones is not a Chicken

He's a strategic DUCK. 

He's calling out Alex Pereira, ducking Aspinal. Why? Because he knows he can easily wrestle him to a smooth victory. Tom is too well rounded, a fight too difficult.

Jones is a careful, strategic fighter who primarily takes fights when he knows he has the advantage. He has said in the long past that he would NOT fight DC at HW because Cormier would have an edge in that weight class, so he ducked then.

I think his choices in opponent's are very smart, it is the correct approach to take if you want to  win. I just hate how he always pitches a 'righteous story' as he hides behind his ulterior motives.

Take Drakkar Klose. In his post fight interview after beating Solecki - after being asked about a potential top 15 next opponent, he straight up spoke truth "No, give me the the easy fights"
Props to the honest man

* Edited at 05.03.2024, 11:35 AM ET *

"All my picks are backed by some type of real money wager. When I bet the house - I now have two houses"

You must be signed in to reply. Sign in or register to join the discussion.

As an anonymous reader, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

• Bad Left Hook : Canelo vs Munguia: Live updates and results, 8 pm ET
  • MMA Mania : UFC 301 odds: Opening and closing betting line movements
  • MMAFighting.com : Canelo Alvarez vs. Jaime Munguia: Live round-by-round updates
  • MMAFighting.com : Canelo vs. Munguia Results: Live updates of the undercard and main event
  • MMAFighting.com : UFC 301 Results: Pantoja vs. Erceg
  • MMA Mania : Midnight Mania: CEAST AND DESIST!
  • MMA Junkie : Artur Beterbiev vs. Dmitry Bivol postponed due to injury
  • MMA Mania : Pereira Welcomes Jones’ Heavyweight Challenge
  • MMA Mania : Pereira Accepts Jones’ Heavyweight Challenge
  • MMA Junkie : 2024 ABC Conference set for July in Louisville, Ky.
  • MMA Junkie : 2024 ABC Conference set for July in Louisville
  • MMA Mania : Video! Oliveira Cradles Teammate During Terrifying Weight Cut
  • UFC.com : Drakkar Klose Is Tuning Out The Noise
  • MMAFighting.com : Video: Fighters talk favorite Jose Aldo memories ahead of UFC 301
  • Bad Left Hook : Beterbiev vs Bivol postponed due to injury, rest of card goes on
  • MMA Junkie : UFC 301's Paul Craig: Caio Borralho in Rio not favorable, but 'we have built our career in the UFC over upsets'
  • UFC.com : The Most Dangerous Vinc Pichel
  • MMA Mania : Garcia Promises To ‘Knock McGregor Out Bad’
  • MMA Junkie : Charles Oliveira willing to be backup for Conor McGregor vs. Michael Chandler – under one condition
  • MMA Mania : UFC 301 Preview: 26 Random Tidbits, Facts And Storylines