Topic: Gray Maynard

Gray Maynard: I'll be waiting for Nate Diaz after he beats Ben Henderson

Anonymous Mode

You are not logged in to Tapology. When browsing anonymously, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

MikeLovesTacos XD
MikeLovesTacos XD
  • Predictions:  30,395  |  59.3%
  • Forum Posts:  22,487
  • Post Score: 203

08.16.2012 | 12:00 PM ET

Does this mean he think he deserves a title shot .... Really? 

"Nate’s on a roll; I think he’ll pull it out. If he does, I know he was begging for me for a long time, but for me I was looking at the title and that’s a fight that would be a great fight for the title. I’d like to do the TV show against him if that’s the case. For me as of now, it’s about going up against the top guys. Like I don’t care about paydays, and stuff like that. Right now it’s about beating the top guys and getting the belt. I did a lot of work all the way till now and I’m at the top. I need that belt, and I switched up a lot of stuff to do that. I changed gyms, did everything I could, so when the opportunity happens I’ll be prepared for it."

http://www.mmamania.com/2012/8/16/3246891/gray-maynard-nate-diaz-ufc-tuf-rematch-ben-henderson

"Why are you booing me? I am the GOAT. **** you." - Patricio "Pitbull" Freire

Gray "The Bully" Maynard

Photo Source:  

Fighter Details

• Given Name: Bradley Gray Maynard
  • Pro MMA Record: 13-7-1, 1 NC (Win-Loss-Draw)
  • Nickname: The Bully
  • Current Streak: 1 Loss
  • Last Fight: October 06, 2018 in UFC
  • Weight Class: Lightweight | Last Weigh-In: 156.0 lbs
  • Affiliation: Power MMA
  • Height: 5'8" (173cm) | Reach: 70.0" (178cm)
  • Career Disclosed Earnings: $813,000 USD
  • Born: Phoenix, Arizona, United States
  • Fighting out of: Santa Cruz, California
  • College: Michigan State University
  • Foundation Style: N/A
  • Fighter Links:
  • Personal Links:

Responses Page 3

ShankMasterFlex
ShankMasterFlex
  • Predictions:  3,216  |  61.5%
  • Forum Posts:  145
  • Post Score: 208

08.17.2012 | 3:20 PM ET

Pr0digy, it's "feet". And that's for a different thread, which I have neither the time nor inclination to debate.

"This will teach those filthy bastards who's lovable!" - Bender

Bill Burgess
Bill Burgess
  • Predictions:  301  |  69.1%
  • Forum Posts:  5,093
  • Post Score: 47

08.17.2012 | 3:20 PM ET

I have a good amount of Nate Diaz admiration, because MMA is his whole life.  He is completely dedicated to his life's work and doesn't mess around or deviate from his training.  I appreciate that degree of commitment.  

But he lost to Maynard before and I think he has not improved enough to beat him now.  Gray is improving, too.  I doubt that Gray could cut to 145 and stay as effective.  And doubt he would want to put himself through it.

I see Benson beating Nate and if Benson fights Gray, it will be 50/50 who wins.  Probably who trains harder and makes the fewest mistakes in the moment.

"Love God, live with honor, keep your agreements."

Franklin880088
Franklin880088
  • Predictions:  1,570  |  59.7%
  • Forum Posts:  3,452
  • Post Score: 120

08.17.2012 | 3:22 PM ET

"And I'm sure we can find a video of Maynard beating Diaz in an actual fight they got paid for..."

To be fair that was not much of a win. Fight metric I believe had it for Nate and I did as well. Maynard pretty much layed and prayed. He tried to do stuff but nate completely neutralized him on the ground.

"here I come to save the day"

Anik
Anik
  • Predictions:  6,592  |  62.5%
  • Forum Posts:  17,508
  • Post Score: 160

08.17.2012 | 3:32 PM ET

anyone who talks about the Cerrone/Diaz fight not being a legitimate contest because of some "deal", they're ******* ********. Are you serious? A deal? My ass, what would happen even if they DID grapple? Does anyone think Cerrone would beat Nate Diaz on the ground?

If you do, you're a ******* idiot and you should haul your ass back to baseball or some ****. Nate Diaz made Cerrone his ***** striking-wise, people who talk about their "gentleman agreement" playing a big role in the fight are ********. If they were to grapple in the fight, Nate would've submitted Cerrone in the 1st instead of pounding his ass into a decision.

Cerrone should never rematch Nate Diaz ever, he was thoroughly outclassed in every way.

And for the ******* idiots who thumbed down my other post where I said Gray is the only challenge for Nate, well? Gray Maynard BEAT Nate Diaz, which is more than what Donald Cerrone did. Frankie Edgar would get destroyed by Nate Diaz and Benson Henderson will be humbled come UFC on FOX 5, Iron Sheik style.

"الله أكبرl"

goose33
goose33
  • Predictions:  1,447  |  61.5%
  • Forum Posts:  71
  • Post Score: 279

08.17.2012 | 3:38 PM ET

@AnikM

Lol calm down dude everything is going to be ok. Yes Cerrone did get outclassed in every way in that fight, but who;s to say he cant improve on where he messed up in the first fight. If he gets the fight with Pettis and beats him and Diaz beats Henderson I would absolutely love to see a rematch.

"Sky's the limit"

Anik
Anik

08.17.2012 | 3:42 PM ET

"who;s to say he cant improve on where he messed up in the first fight"

WHAT IS THERE TO IMPROVE? He's gonna become a better grappler the next time they fight? My ******* ass.

Nate Diaz destroyed Donald Cerrone without using his number one asset, Donald Cerrone got killed by Nate Diaz using his primary strength. Like...in what ******* universe does Donald Cerrone win a rematch against Nate Diaz? The only way Donald Cerrone beats Nate Diaz is if they stand and bang for the whole fight and we all saw what happened last time, Cerrone was dominated like no other.

"الله أكبرl"

mmAPR0digy
mmAPR0digy
  • Predictions:  13,158  |  59.7%
  • Forum Posts:  1,307
  • Post Score: 144

08.17.2012 | 3:45 PM ET

@shank... once you graduate highschool, you can start correcting people's grammar.  You say he has to stall/avoid a fight to win (Bendo against Diaz, in case you're still high).  I say he can fight and still win.  Simple as that.

"I just want to be known as the best ever, is that too much to ask? - BJ Penn"

OldNick
OldNick
  • Predictions:  35,005  |  68.3%
  • Forum Posts:  2,409
  • Post Score: 322

08.17.2012 | 3:46 PM ET

If I didn't have a gentleman's agreement with this forum, I would thoroughly outclass Anik's post in every way. "Haul your ass back to baseball" if you don't agree with me!

"I am ****y in prediction, confident in preparation, but I am always humble in victory or defeat.”

Anik
Anik

08.17.2012 | 4:01 PM ET

Alright. Make your argument.

Tell me HOW Cerrone beats Diaz. He can't outwrestle him. He can't outgrapple him. His only chance is his striking and we all saw what happened last time, right?

Unless Cerrone had a gentleman's agreement to get his ass kicked.

"الله أكبرl"

SoccerKick
SoccerKick
  • Predictions:  32,055  |  61.8%
  • Forum Posts:  13,504
  • Post Score: 186

08.17.2012 | 4:04 PM ET

Cause this can happen in a fight:

* Edited at 08.17.2012, 4:07 PM ET *

"I'm too old to be run by the fears of dumb people "

LynxGuy
LynxGuy
  • Predictions:  1,054  |  59.7%
  • Forum Posts:  1,120
  • Post Score: 138

08.17.2012 | 4:08 PM ET

I think the one thing Cerrone could definitely improve on in a rematch with Nate Diaz is his mental game.  He let himself get sucked into Nate's trash talking which I think threw him off. 
Not necessarily saying that's why he lost the fight, but it might've been more competitive if Cerrone was able to keep a cool head.

Aside from that though, I still think Diaz would have the edge in striking and on the ground.  Would still be awesome to see a rematch though.  Anything could happen.

"Don't be scared, homie." - Nick Diaz

Anik
Anik

08.17.2012 | 4:26 PM ET

@SoccerKick LOL AT U THINKING A DIAZ COULD GET ROCKED I hate Nick Diaz but even I know a Diaz can't get rocked, let alone by a Cerrone headkick.

@LynxGuy What would've happened if Cerrone had a cool head? Absolutely nothing. It would change nothing.

"الله أكبرl"

JustynOfOsiris
JustynOfOsiris
  • Predictions:  4,334  |  57.2%
  • Forum Posts:  3,239
  • Post Score: 122

08.17.2012 | 4:38 PM ET

@anik ok you are saying some serious dumb **** in this thread, what in the world makes you think Cerrone can't out wrestle Diaz?? Also how in the world can you say something as stupid as "Diaz can't get rocked"?????

"Is reality really realistic?"

Anik
Anik

08.17.2012 | 4:47 PM ET

Nate Diaz's got a hell of a better chin than Old Man TRT, that's for damn sure.

Cerrone outwrestling Nate Diaz? LOL REALLY? REALLY? When was the last time he shot for a TD? And what happens if he takes it to the ground (which he won't 'cause he's not a good wrestler)? He'll get submitted by Nate Diaz. Simple as that.

There's a better chance of the ******* world imploding tomorrow than there is for Cerrone to beat Nate Diaz.

"الله أكبرl"

dielegende23
dielegende23
  • Predictions:  21,023  |  71.7%
  • Forum Posts:  7,907
  • Post Score: 268

08.17.2012 | 4:48 PM ET

Diaz got into Cerrone's head no doubt about it. What also got to his head was his horse that headbutted him before the fight. Those two factors made this the fight it was.

Cerrone has legit chances if a rematch is ever going to happen.

@Anik

everybody can get rocked...

" I feel like Davy Crockett on the walls of the Alamo, swinging Old Betsy as the enemy swarmed in with bayonets. Sheesh. Listen you young punks....." - Bill Burgess

Anik
Anik

08.17.2012 | 5:00 PM ET

Melvin Guillard, aka the strongest lightweight striker who rocks everyone. Fair enough.

Cerrone still can't do **** against Nate and he won't, just like last time. Can't believe people wanna see a rematch of that fight lol, why don't we do Anderson/Griffin 2 while we're at it? Maybe BJ/Sanchez 2 also? How bout Tito/Ken 4? Might as ******* well.

"الله أكبرl"

JustynOfOsiris
JustynOfOsiris
  • Predictions:  4,334  |  57.2%
  • Forum Posts:  3,239
  • Post Score: 122

08.17.2012 | 5:02 PM ET

@anik someone's feeling sassy today.
First off you don't have to bring Dan Henderson up every time me and you exchange words, and the fact that you do kinda just makes you look even more stupid because he literally has nothing to do with anything I said, second arguably no one in MMA has a better chin than Dan Henderson because he has 37 pro fights and has never once been knocked out.
Cerrone may not be a top class wrestler but do you really think that if he went into the fight wanting to wrestle he wouldn't be able to get takedowns? It's a pretty commonly known thing thah wrestling is both of the Diaz' weak area, not to mention all the guys Cerrone trains with that could help him work on his wrestling.
Cerrone very obviously went into the last fight with Diaz with a bad gameplan (not to mention a broken jaw) but that doesn't mean things wouldn't be different the second time. Cerrone obviously has better all around striking and is better in the clinch where Diaz has much better boxing, I would say Cerrone has alot more power than Diaz does especially with his kicks. So Cerrone catching Diaz with a solid head kick and rocking him or even a well placed punch and rocking him is by no means a ridiculous thought.

"Is reality really realistic?"

dielegende23
dielegende23
  • Predictions:  21,023  |  71.7%
  • Forum Posts:  7,907
  • Post Score: 268

08.17.2012 | 5:03 PM ET

@Anik I didn't say I want to see a rematch ? Read my post again !

The chances there will be a rematch are not that slim though...

Diaz vs Bendo
Cerrone vs Pettis

I say we gonna see Diaz vs Pettis but who knows !

* Edited at 08.17.2012, 5:04 PM ET *

" I feel like Davy Crockett on the walls of the Alamo, swinging Old Betsy as the enemy swarmed in with bayonets. Sheesh. Listen you young punks....." - Bill Burgess

Anik
Anik

08.17.2012 | 5:15 PM ET

who says I was directing that comment to you die?

@justynbomar Hendo is a cheater, he's overrated and his fanbase deserves to burn. Cerrone would DEFINITELY not be able to get takedowns, wrestling is a weakness with the Diaz brothers but it's a more prevalent weakness with Nick because Nick's...not very good. Nate on the other hand, is a MUCH better wrestler and has improved dramatically, just look at his fight vs Jim Miller who's a MUCH better wrestler than Cerrone.

Cerrone trains with guys that could help him work his wrestling? Unless he trains a whole year solely on wrestling every ******* day, he won't do **** vs Nate.

A bad gameplan? Cerrone (and pretty much everyone else) thought he was a better striker than Nate, so he went into the fight to try and outstrike him. And we all saw how that worked out, right?

Cerrone better in the clinch? LOL? Nate Diaz has some of the best judo in the lightweight division and you're willing to tell me some kickboxer will light him up in the clinch?

WHY ARE WE EVEN TALKING ABOUT THIS? Nate Diaz DESTROYED Donald Cerrone, how many fighters get rematches after losing to the other guy so decisively? Say whatever you want but they already fought, and Nate Diaz already DECIMATED the fake Cowboy.

"الله أكبرl"

OldNick
OldNick
  • Predictions:  35,005  |  68.3%
  • Forum Posts:  2,409
  • Post Score: 322

08.17.2012 | 5:21 PM ET

@Anik,
Read my post again, it was me basically mocking your post because sometimes you seem to get a little over the top with your posts. hahaha. I don't necessarily disagree with what you said, it's more that I could see Cerrone pulling it off. So since you asked...

I gave Diaz the fight 29-28 but 30-27 was definitely understandable. The first round was completely Diaz but I also feel it was because Cerrone ran into and tried to brawl with Diaz. Which, Cerrone is not a boxer.

2nd Round was close and I edged it to Cerrone because I felt he started to figure out Diaz a little bit. He had alot better kicks and some nice trips from the clinch.

Gave the 3rd to Diaz as Cerrone had pretty much already fallen from the pace.

If Cerrone would stick to a solid game plan like he did in the 2nd round he could definitely win, unfortunately though he tends to always stay in fighters reach and never utilizes his strengths.

The point is Cerrone could win a rematch, but I probably wouldn't pick him.

* Edited at 08.17.2012, 5:21 PM ET *

"I am ****y in prediction, confident in preparation, but I am always humble in victory or defeat.”

Page 3

You must be signed in to reply. Sign in or register to join the discussion.

As an anonymous reader, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

• MMA Junkie : UFC on ESPN 56: Make your predictions for Derrick Lewis vs. Rodrigo Nascimento
  • MMAFighting.com : Watch The MMA Hour live now
  • Middle Easy : Alexander Volkanovski Suggests 4th Fight With Max Holloway For BMF Title
  • UFC.com : Iron Summit: For The Lifelong Athletes
  • MMA Junkie : Video: Sean O'Malley shows clip of sparring footage with Alexandre Pantoja
  • MMA Mania : Fiery First Promo Drops For UFC 302
  • UFC.com : Cory Sandhagen Takes On Umar Nurmagomedov In Abu Dhabi On August 3
  • MMA Junkie : Spinning Back Clique REPLAY: Jose Aldo's future, Jon Jones calls for Alex Pereira, latest in boxing, more
  • MMAFighting.com : Rankings Shakeup: Is Jose Aldo once again a top-5 bantamweight after UFC 301?
  • MMA Junkie : Spinning Back Clique LIVE: Jose Aldo's future, Jon Jones calls for Alex Pereira, latest in boxing, more
  • MMA Junkie : 'Why not?': Benoit Saint Denis welcomes Dan Hooker next, calls Arman Tsarukyan dream fight at lightweight
  • Middle Easy : Anthony Smith ‘Feels Bad’ For Bruce Buffer, Accepts Alex Pereira’s $50K Challenge, Addresses Retirement Talks
  • MMA Mania : ‘Shogun’ Headed To UFC Hall Of Fame
  • MMA Junkie : Naoya Inoue gets up from knockdown, moves to 27-0 with sick KO of Luis Nery
  • MMAFighting.com : Dana White put on blast at Tom Brady celebrity roast: ‘You’re like Michael Vick, but with human beings’
  • MMA Mania : Up Next! UFC St. Louis On ESPN!
  • Bad Left Hook : ‘If not for Canelo I’m not going down to 168’: Benavidez says only one fight brings him back to super middleweight
  • Bad Left Hook : ‘If not for Canelo I’m not going down to 168’: David Benavidez says only one fight brings him back to super middleweight
  • MMA Junkie : Matchup Roundup: New UFC, PFL, Bellator fights announced in the past week (April 29-May 5)
  • MMAFighting.com : On To the Next One: What’s next for free agent Jose Aldo after triumphant return at UFC 301?