Topic: Kazushi Sakuraba

Happy Birthday to Kazushi Sakuraba, the Gracie Hunter!

Anonymous Mode

You are not logged in to Tapology. When browsing anonymously, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

joe kerr
joe kerr
  • Predictions:  242,516  |  68.9%
  • Forum Posts:  4,850
  • Post Score: 267

07.14.2012 | 10:44 AM ET

While it may seem like a century to some, it was only 43 years ago that the little known pro wrestler that would go on to become one of the legends of Mixed Martial Arts and one of the best pound-for-pound fighters of his time, Kazushi Sakuraba, was born. The man, who, weighing 183 pounds at his heaviest would go on to fight everybody from BJJ masters to kick-boxers to powerful wrestlers, brawlers and submission artists of any and all weight classes and would almost always come out on top.

While people today might not be astound by his record, the numbers only tell part, and a very small to that, part of the story. In a few hours (or later, right after I catch some much needed sleep to be ready for SF tonight), I'll try to do my best to remind us all of the highlights - and lowlights too - of the career of the inconspicuous-looking middle-aged man - except for the always present orange accents in his clothes or hair - known to the world at large as The Gracie Hunter!

"If the enemy rejects the ground, I would take him down by tackle. Why didn’t he [Royler] do so? May I introduce him to a good coach? His tackle was... like a girl’s one... Mr. Royler, how are you feeling?" - Kazushi Sakuraba

"The Gracie Hunter" Kazushi Sakuraba

Photo Source:  

Fighter Details

• Given Name: 桜庭和志, Sakuraba Kazushi
  • Pro MMA Record: 26-17-1, 2 NC (Win-Loss-Draw)
  • Nickname: The Gracie Hunter
  • Current Streak: 5 Losses
  • Last Fight: December 29, 2015 in RFF
  • Weight Class: Welterweight | Last Weigh-In: 171.0 lbs
  • Affiliation: Laughter7
  • Height: 5'11" (180cm) | Reach: N/A
  • Career Disclosed Earnings: $30,000 USD
  • Born: Katagami, Akita, Japan
  • Fighting out of: Setagaya, Tokyo, Japan
  • College: N/A
  • Foundation Style: Wrestling
  • Fighter Links:
  • Personal Links:

Responses

Anik
Anik
  • Predictions:  6,592  |  62.5%
  • Forum Posts:  17,508
  • Post Score: 160

07.14.2012 | 10:46 AM ET

Never saw Sakuraba in his prime so I could never really understand or appreciate what he did, but happy birthday to the man nonetheless!

"الله أكبرl"

joe kerr
joe kerr
  • Predictions:  242,516  |  68.9%
  • Forum Posts:  4,850
  • Post Score: 267

07.14.2012 | 10:58 AM ET

Yup, that's exactly the point of what I'm going to write, Anik - some people might have forgotten and some simply might have never seen Saku at his best, but not only he deserves to be know for what he accomplished, but also the fans of today who never seen him, deserve to know how truly great he was. And he definitely deserves to be mentioned in the same sentence with your Fedors, your Spiders and your GSP's.

Of course in hindsight I should've just written a column earlier and just post it today, when I'm falling on my face after a ******, busy week, more so since I was planning it for a couple of months now. But then that's how hindsight works.

"If the enemy rejects the ground, I would take him down by tackle. Why didn’t he [Royler] do so? May I introduce him to a good coach? His tackle was... like a girl’s one... Mr. Royler, how are you feeling?" - Kazushi Sakuraba

benjaminbrandt
benjaminbrandt
  • Predictions:  18,270  |  65.6%
  • Forum Posts:  15,716
  • Post Score: 229

07.14.2012 | 11:02 AM ET

"I have not yet begun to defile myself. "

poir420
poir420
  • Predictions:  143,346  |  63.0%
  • Forum Posts:  18,232
  • Post Score: 245

07.14.2012 | 11:03 AM ET

"“All of a sudden, he was shooting for a takedown, and I’m like, ‘Oh, you’re a wrestler now? Remember, I’m the black belt in jiu-jitsu. And you’re shooting on me now? This is a wrap." - Nate Diaz"

dielegende23
dielegende23
  • Predictions:  20,939  |  71.6%
  • Forum Posts:  7,907
  • Post Score: 268

07.14.2012 | 11:13 AM ET

Cool thread, happy birthday Saku...

" I feel like Davy Crockett on the walls of the Alamo, swinging Old Betsy as the enemy swarmed in with bayonets. Sheesh. Listen you young punks....." - Bill Burgess

AnAlias
AnAlias
  • Predictions:  7,888  |  63.4%
  • Forum Posts:  8,737
  • Post Score: 246

07.14.2012 | 11:16 AM ET

Happy Birthday Saku!  Still my favorite fighter.
Anik
Anik

07.14.2012 | 11:22 AM ET

how bout Minowaman?

"الله أكبرl"

AnAlias
AnAlias
  • Predictions:  7,888  |  63.4%
  • Forum Posts:  8,737
  • Post Score: 246

07.14.2012 | 11:24 AM ET

Minowaman is great, but Saku has been number 1 in my book since I first got into Pride.
OldManGloom
OldManGloom
  • Predictions:  109,651  |  62.5%
  • Forum Posts:  9,505
  • Post Score: 254

07.15.2012 | 2:58 AM ET

For the most part I try and keep my rankings unbiased, but I have Saku as the #1 fighter of all time, and will gladly admit it is because I'm biased.  I think he was the greatest first generation mixed martial artist, someone who truly changed the requirements of what it took to be successful.  If only he could have fought Rickson.

"When the system fails you you create your own system."

gunn4206
gunn4206
  • Predictions:  39,100  |  65.8%
  • Forum Posts:  7,834
  • Post Score: 249

07.15.2012 | 3:08 AM ET

first fight i member watching of his was him vs newton where they hardly did anything first round like no punches just grappling then all of a sudden sakuraba started doin those crazy punches he does when hes in someone guard and i was like this guys nuts Lol been fan since!

"RIP Bill Burgess , RIP CthuluJones"

OldManGloom
OldManGloom
  • Predictions:  109,651  |  62.5%
  • Forum Posts:  9,505
  • Post Score: 254

07.15.2012 | 3:14 AM ET

Greatest pure grappling MMA fight of all time.

"When the system fails you you create your own system."

MadMikeXD
MadMikeXD

07.15.2012 | 10:56 AM ET

If only more Japanese fighters had his heart and skill.I wish he was in UFC Undisputed 3.Sorry I'm late but happy birthday Saku!I Wasn't into MMA when Pride was around but I watched plenty of his fights in my quest to learn MMA history.
Anik
Anik

07.15.2012 | 1:07 PM ET

Rickson Gracie annoys the **** out of me. Every Gracie's got a huge ego and Rickson's is all of theirs combined, I swear. The dude lost before, that misunderstanding of the rules **** is b.s.

"الله أكبرl"

You must be signed in to reply. Sign in or register to join the discussion.

As an anonymous reader, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

• Middle Easy : Robert Whittaker Likes ‘The Uproar’ After Belal Muhammad Becomes Champ, Says He’ll Be ‘Enemies’ With Jiri Prochazka If ‘BJP’ Moves To 185
  • MMA Junkie : Anthony Hernandez withdraws from UFC 302 due to hand injury
  • MMA Junkie : Alex Perez vs. Tagir Ulanbekov back on for UFC Fight Night on June 15
  • MMA Junkie : Daniel Cormier: UFC champion Ilia Topuria's current approach 'not coming off great'
  • MMAFighting.com : Charles Oliveira open to ‘big fight’ at welterweight after UFC 300 loss: ‘Why not?’
  • Middle Easy : Daniel Cormier Says Ilia Topuria Saying ‘No’ To Alexander Volkanovski And Other Top Contenders Is ‘Weird’
  • MMA Junkie : UFC 301 commentary team, broadcast plans set: Paul Felder replaces Joe Rogan to join Daniel Cormier, Jon Anik in Brazil
  • MMAFighting.com : Tom Aspinall agrees with unhappy U.K. fans about UFC 304 start time: ‘I think it is absolutely terrible’
  • MMA Mania : Welcome To The Top 5
  • MMA Junkie : Jimmy Smith slams Ronda Rousey for saying Joe Rogan, media turned on her: 'Don't give me this victim sh*t'
  • MMAFighting.com : Paige VanZant reveals she signed multi-fight deal with Misfits Boxing, but BKFC ‘will definitely see me again’
  • Bad Left Hook : PODCAST: Canelo vs Munguia preview, Paul vs Tyson rules, more
  • MMA Junkie : UFC on ESPN 55 winner David Onama apologizes for weight miss: 'My body gave up on me'
  • MMAFighting.com : Morning Report: Jimmy Smith goes off on Ronda Rousey: ‘She gets all the credit, none of the blame’
  • MMA Mania : ‘He’s Been Fighting Old Slow Dopes’
  • MMA Junkie : Chris Padilla 'lost hope many times' on long journey to UFC on ESPN 55
  • MMA Mania : Aspinall Pans Manchester PPV Start Time: ‘It’s Terrible’
  • Jits Magazine : Craig Jones Announces Brand New 3 Million Dollar BJJ Tournament
  • UFC.com : UFC Welcomes Anker As Its Official Charging Partner In The Middle East And Africa
  • Jits Magazine : Mo Jassim Announces Women’s Absolute Division For ADCC 2024