Topic: dos Santos vs. Mir

Dos Santos vs. Mir

Anonymous Mode

You are not logged in to Tapology. When browsing anonymously, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

Oddsbot
Oddsbot
  • Predictions:  8,768  |  73.9%
  • Forum Posts:  17,644
  • Post Score: 60

04.23.2012 | 1:29 PM ET

Prediction: correct dos Santos   wrong Decision  

This is the official discussion thread for Dos Santos vs. Mir. Let's see what you've got.

"This is the droid you're looking for."

Responses Page 2

JudoRandori
JudoRandori

04.24.2012 | 11:19 AM ET

Prediction: correct dos Santos   correct KO/TKO   wrong Round 1  

Statistics are on JDS' side. Seriously, in the history of the UFC there are only like three fighters to lose their belts and regain them: Hughes, GSP, and Randy. Am I missing someone?
JudoRandori
JudoRandori

04.24.2012 | 11:19 AM ET

Mir will have weight and reach on his side, worth a decent sized bet at those odds.
MedWonk
MedWonk
  • Predictions:  583  |  65.9%
  • Forum Posts:  114
  • Post Score: 171

04.24.2012 | 11:28 AM ET

It may not be the best way to gauge his cardio, but JDS essentially used Roy Nelson as a punching bag for three rounds without punching himself out.  Mir's cardio doesn't seem to be as good.  He looked exhausted against Nelson after the 2nd round.  In either case, I don't think this fight is going into the later rounds, anyway.

"Whoa, whoa, whoa! There's still plenty of meat on that bone. Now, you take this home, throw it in a pot, add some broth, a potato...baby, you got a stew goin'!"

jackhos
jackhos
  • Predictions:  2,655  |  57.9%
  • Forum Posts:  25
  • Post Score: 40

04.28.2012 | 12:16 AM ET

Prediction: correct dos Santos   correct KO/TKO   correct Round 2  

as much as i want to pick mir by flying armlock, i know that ****s not gonna happen. he could fake a td and catch jds with a big hook, jds is tough and wont get subbed or ko'd right away. he'll recover, mir will gas and get KO'd like every big fight hes in. but whoever wins this fights gonna end ******* brutal and crazy

"michael bisping is a *****"

jaykool777
jaykool777
  • Predictions:  25,528  |  61.6%
  • Forum Posts:  3,654
  • Post Score: 158

04.29.2012 | 5:48 PM ET

I need to do a 10-Point Breakdown for this fight.

"Keep it punk rock!!!!"

ScottMCFC
ScottMCFC
  • Predictions:  240  |  54.6%
  • Forum Posts:  9
  • Post Score: 156

04.29.2012 | 5:56 PM ET

I am a fan of Mir and Dos Santos but Mir i to knockoutable lol I say Dos Santos just hits to hard for Mirs face 

"''The more you sweat in peace, the less you bleed in war.''"

jaykool777
jaykool777
  • Predictions:  25,528  |  61.6%
  • Forum Posts:  3,654
  • Post Score: 158

04.29.2012 | 6:49 PM ET

My 10-Point Breakdown

I would've loved to have seen JDS vs. Overeem. While I still kind of feel that Overeem is a tad overrated and overhyped, he is the number 2 HW in the world. It's too bad that my thought on how Overeem got so muscular and so good turned out to be true because of a random drug screen, but the fact remains that the fight that I wanted to see, to finally find out who is the best HW in the world will not happen. While I feel that Mir is the logical replacement in the UFC, I don't really feel that he has much of a chance against JDS. I'm not saying that Mir doesn't have a chance, but he doesn't have much of one. Mir was counted out of his first fight with Big Nog, his first fight with Brock Lesnar, and his fight with Tim Sylvia, but Mir found a way to win. One thing I've learned about Frank Mir is, don't count him out of any fight, even if he is losing badly in the beginning of the fight, don't count him out. With JDS, he is the best HW in the world right now. Not just in the UFC, but IMHO, he is the best MMA HW in the world. I would love to see him take on Josh Barnett, but Frank Mir is a tough enough order for any fighter at HW.

1. Mental Edge/Confidence/Gameplan - Junior Dos Santos is undefeated in the UFC thus far, and he has faced some of the best fighters in the UFC HW division. IMHO, JDS truly earned his shot at the UFC HW Championship, and is beyond any shadow of a doubt thee #1 HW in the world. With KO wins over Fabricio Werdum, Gilbert Yvel, Mirko Cro-Cop, Gabriel Gonzaga, Cain Velasquez, and dominate decision victories over Roy Nelson and Shane Carwin, I think it's pretty safe to say that coming into this fight JDS has the confidence and mental edge to win this fight. After watching what JDS did to Cain, Shane, and Roy, I think that the gameplan advantage is on his side as well. A couple of cards that might work in Frank Mir's favor is owning two victories over JDS' teammate and friend Big Nog. One of which, where Frank Mir took Big Nog's arm home for a trophy. Utilize that card properly, and that could throw JDS enough off of his gameplan for Mir to get the victory. The other card for Mir, is that the man does usually find a way to win. When Frank Mir is prepared for a fight and confident, he is very tough to beat. With all this in mind, I still have to give the advantage to JDS in this category here, because one thing sticks out in my mind.................JDS manhandled and outboxed Shane Carwin for 3 rounds, while Mir couldn't even hang with Carwin for one round. JDS - 10/10, Mir - 9/10

2. Experience/Level of Opposition - JDS has 15 fights vs. Frank Mir's 21. Both fighters have faced a great stable of fighters. Mir has more years, and fights, so I have to give Mir a very slight advantage in this area here. JDS - 8/10, Mir - 9/10

3. Heart/Determination to Win - When it comes to a question of determination to win, I think that both fighters are relatively even in this department, but we have yet to see JDS overcome adversity, or come from behind to win a fight, while Mir has been in some fights where he was just plain and simply getting the **** beat out of him, and he came back to win the fight by submission like in his wins over Brock Lesnar and Big Nog, or he was just completely gassed and just gave it everything he had like in his wins over Roy Nelson and Wes Sims. JDS utilizes skill and technique to win his fights, but when it comes heart, and true determination this is where Frank Mir has been able to find a way to win. I give Mir a slight advantage in this area here. JDS - 8/10, Mir - 9/10

4. Stamina/Cardio - Both fighters fade as the fight goes on, but Mir is usually spent after the first round. JDS has worn down in fights, but he still has enough gas in the tank to strike and effectively score points to win the fight. Neither fighter has ever been 5 rounds, but I think that the longer this fight goes, the more in JDS' favor it plays. Advantage JDS. JDS - 8/10, Mir - 6/10

5. Endurance/Toughness - I've seen JDS take the best that Cain, Roy, and Shane have to offer, and still come forward to do more damage of his own. When it comes to who takes a better punch, and who can take serious damage, there is no doubt in my mind that JDS is the tougher more durable fighter. Quite possibly the toughtest fighter in the HW division. JDS - 10/10, Mir - 7/10

6. Overall Striking - Power, technique, speed, and movement all play in JDS' favor in this category. Mir has really good stirking, but I think it falls seriously short of JDS' striking. Fact is, I think that JDS will finish Mir by KO, so yeah this is clearly JDS' best category and weapon in his upcoming fight with Mir. JDS - 10/10, Mir - 8/10

7. Overall Grappling/Wrestling - After watching his fight with Carwin, and knowing that JDS trains with Mark Munoz, I think that JDS has some very good wrestling and grappling skills, and he's improving all the time in this area. If there is one area where I think that I've seen Mir fall severely short, and never really grow, it's in this department right here, but Mir did show some great grappling and wrestling skills in his fight with Roy Nelson, and Mir does have the size and strength advantage, so it's really hard to pick a clear cut winner in this category. Maybe this fight will prove just how good both fighters really are in this area. For now, I will give Mir the slight advantage because of his size. JDS - 8/10, Mir - 9/10

8. Overall Submissions/BJJ - JDS is trained by one of the best BJJ practitioners in all of MMA, but Frank Mir not only submitted that practitioner, he broke his arm. Mir is known for breaking bones, and taking his opponents limbs home with him. I have to give Mir the clear cut advantage in this category. JDS - 8/10, Mir - 10/10

9. Strength/Size - IMO, this is Frank Mir's area. He's bigger and quite possibly stronger than JDS. JDS - 8/10, Mir - 9/10

10. Speed/Athleticism - Mir may be the bigger/stronger fighter, but JDS is definitely the more mobile, athletic, faster fighter. Often times speed and athleticism can counter strength and size many times over. JDS - 10/10, Mir 7/10

Overall Score = Junior "Cigano" Dos Santos - 88/100, Frank Mir - 83/100

"Keep it punk rock!!!!"

Train2win
Train2win
  • Predictions:  2,953  |  60.4%
  • Forum Posts:  93
  • Post Score: 194

04.29.2012 | 7:01 PM ET

As long as Mir dsnt try and stand and bang, he can actually win this via submission!

"“A champion is someone who gets up when he can't.”"

jaffacakehero
jaffacakehero
  • Predictions:  5,066  |  62.0%
  • Forum Posts:  5,396
  • Post Score: 240

05.16.2012 | 6:49 AM ET

If Mir takes this to the ground then Junior is in trouble but I think he'll keep it standing long enough to get the job done

"If you're matched up against me, you better be prepared to give your life...because I am prepared to take it. - Conor McGregor"

HectorMarcel
HectorMarcel
  • Predictions:  3,584  |  64.1%
  • Forum Posts:  49
  • Post Score: 88

05.16.2012 | 5:32 PM ET

4*

"MMAdawgs.com"

MikeLovesTacos XD
MikeLovesTacos XD
  • Predictions:  30,422  |  59.3%
  • Forum Posts:  22,488
  • Post Score: 203

05.16.2012 | 5:39 PM ET

This is such an interesting fight. Better than JDS/Overeem!

"Why are you booing me? I am the GOAT. **** you." - Patricio "Pitbull" Freire

haven
haven
  • Predictions:  94,655  |  52.5%
  • Forum Posts:  1,030
  • Post Score: 188

05.16.2012 | 6:17 PM ET

Prediction: wrong Mir   wrong Submission   wrong Round 3  

i like mir to bet down

"i like mma and the tapology"

RWLawman
RWLawman
  • Predictions:  2,583  |  63.1%
  • Forum Posts:  2,053
  • Post Score: 173

05.16.2012 | 6:32 PM ET

I like Frank Mir, and don't under-estimate him in any of his fights, but I think the odds are for Dos Santos winning by early KO/TKO in this one.  Dos Santos is on point, dead smack in his prime, while Mir has already gone beyond his.

" "Out of suffering have emerged the strongest souls; the most massive characters are seared with scars." - Khalil Gibran "

MMA4LIFE00
MMA4LIFE00
  • Predictions:  14,692  |  64.5%
  • Forum Posts:  648
  • Post Score: 66

05.16.2012 | 8:23 PM ET

im picking JDS by KO in the first round but i think can make it to the 2nd if he plays to his strengths

gunn4206
gunn4206
  • Predictions:  39,740  |  66.1%
  • Forum Posts:  7,834
  • Post Score: 249

05.16.2012 | 8:28 PM ET

i say cigano 1st rnd ko

"RIP Bill Burgess , RIP CthuluJones"

BeastMaster
BeastMaster
  • Predictions:  1,958  |  59.8%
  • Forum Posts:  3,029
  • Post Score: 180

05.16.2012 | 8:41 PM ET

I'd be shocked if Mir makes it out of the 2nd

"Be peaceful, be courteous, obey the law, respect everyone; but if someone lays a hand on you, send him to the cemetery."

Godzilla
Godzilla
  • Predictions:  838  |  63.0%
  • Forum Posts:  43
  • Post Score: 219

05.16.2012 | 10:49 PM ET

Mirs a good fighter but JDS is without a doubt the top HW!  If JDS doesn't KO Mir in round 1, it'll happen in round 2

"Every man dies - Not every man really lives."

ufcchick2011
ufcchick2011
  • Predictions:  17,099  |  61.7%
  • Forum Posts:  1,674
  • Post Score: 177

05.17.2012 | 12:06 AM ET

I just don't see MIR being a threat to JDS...Big Nog had Mir in striking and decided to be a little over confident and attempt to submit him..Of course, we all saw how that turned out...IMO the HW division is weak...I enjoy the HW division of how strong and big these guys are, but really name 5 five HW fighters that can compete with JDS? I would give Velasquez another shot, IMO....Overroid is out of business for 9 months, so who else?

"The only way to guarantee failure is by giving up" Frank Mir

budgellism
budgellism
  • Predictions:  5,820  |  62.9%
  • Forum Posts:  227
  • Post Score: 178

05.17.2012 | 12:56 AM ET

I see this playing out like Mir/Carwin except worse. 

"Playground Never Die"

WishIsHere
WishIsHere
  • Predictions:  24,429  |  64.4%
  • Forum Posts:  7,003
  • Post Score: 232

05.17.2012 | 1:24 AM ET

I'm still worried about this title fight though I'm confident JDS will win, only because this is the belt that gets around more than a $2 hooker.

"I bought a Bruno mars cd once - gunn4206"

Page 2

You must be signed in to reply. Sign in or register to join the discussion.

As an anonymous reader, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

• Middle Easy : Ben Askren Claims Conor McGregor’s ‘Jealous’ Of UFC Rival Khabib: ‘No Money Can Make Up For That’
  • MMA Mania : ‘I Would Be Upset!’ Topuria ‘Too Short’ To Headline Over O’Malley
  • MMA Junkie : USA TODAY Sports/MMA Junkie rankings, May 21: Patchy Mix, Lerone Murphy move up
  • MMA Junkie : Anthony Smith: Islam Makhachev vs. Dustin Poirier 'much closer than a lot of people are giving it credit for'
  • MMA Mania : MMA Prospect Watch: Meet ‘The Punjabi Prince’
  • Middle Easy : Conor McGregor is ‘Cold in the Soul’ for Michael Chandler, Plans to Fight Three Times in 2024
  • Middle Easy : Exclusive: Curtis Blaydes On Tom Aspinall, Alex Pereira, Was Ciryl Gane A Go For UFC 304?
  • MMAFighting.com : UFC Vegas 93 card official with 13 bouts
  • Bad Left Hook : PODCAST: Usyk is undisputed, Taylor vs Catterall 2, Canelo’s next fight
  • MMA Junkie : Belal Muhammad explains why he doesn't like 'piece of trash' Sean Strickland
  • MMA Mania : ‘Piece Of Trash’ Strickland Is ‘All Talk’
  • Middle Easy : Dustin Poirier Ready to Knock Islam Makhachev Unconscious at UFC 302: ‘The Ref’s Going to Be Pulling Me Off Him’
  • Middle Easy : Husband and Coach of UFC Fighter Hailey Cowan Arrested, Accused of Sexually Assaulting Minor ‘Hundreds of Times’
  • MMA Junkie : Tom Aspinall says next fight after Curtis Blaydes has to be for undisputed belt: 'I'll wait it out if I have to'
  • MMAFighting.com : Dustin Poirier makes bold prediction for Islam Makhachev fight at UFC 302
  • MMA Mania : McGregor Labels ‘Little R—ard’ Topuria ‘A Non-Champion’
  • MMAFighting.com : Anderson Silva opens as huge favorite over Chael Sonnen in July boxing match
  • Bad Left Hook : ‘He put you in position’: Vergil Hunter explains why Spence should pay former trainer his worth
  • Bad Left Hook : ‘He put you in position’: Vergil Hunter explains why Errol Spence should pay Derrick James his worth
  • MMAFighting.com : UFC 302: Islam Makhachev vs. Dustin Poirier adds short-notice debutant Mitch Raposo