Tapology Forums

Dana White and the Right Hand of God

Anonymous Mode

You are not logged in to Tapology. When browsing anonymously, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

Bill Burgess
Bill Burgess
  • Predictions:  301  |  69.1%
  • Forum Posts:  5,093
  • Post Score: 47

04.19.2012 | 11:14 PM ET

There is a line from scripture that says, "As a man soweth, so shall he reap".  So it is happening to President Dana White.  He has so screwed Jon Fitch that the long arm of God has come down from on high, and sought to wreck havoc with Dana White business.  The UFC.  

Ever since Dana and Joe Silva matched Fitch with Jonny Hendricks, the UFC has gone to Hell in a hurry.  Whenever a boss tries to undermine his employee's career, it backfires and blows up in his face.  Ever since King Divid sent Bathsheba's husband to the front lines to be killed in battle, big guys have run into trouble.

Before your jaws hit the ground, hear me out.  The argument is compelling.  One day, the UFC is riding high, on top of the world, and in very short order, everything seems to go wrong.  Murphy's Law on steroids is a good way to describe the Law of Karma.  Karma is a ***** and it's biting President Dana White hard in the ass.

Jon Fitch was coming off an injury and the top guys were all matched up.  So, instead of waiting for someone to come available, they matched him with a no-name newcomer, who hadn't earned the second best WW.  Never mind Fitch got knocked out.  That doesn't mean the match should have been made.  They could have waited for an appropriate contender, like Hughes, Shields, rematch with Penn, etc.  But no.  They screwed him.

Now, Hendricks gets Koscheck, Fitch gets - Aaron Simpson?  No.  I don't think so.  Just as inappropriate as Hendricks was.
http://www.mmaweekly.com/jon-fitch-welcomes-aaron-simpson-to-the-welterweight-division

I said at the time that if the UFC didn't give Fitch an appropriate contender, shame on them and Karma would soon go to work.  And, it has!  Big Time!  HUGE!  MASSIVE REPRISALS!

The Long Arm of God has reached down and screwed Dana White to the Wall.  It took his cash cow, Brock Lesnar, off the chessboard.  It then removed GSP for an extended period.  The 2 big draws.  But the Law of Karma was just getting started with gutting Dana White's business.  

It took Anderson Silva out of commission for a long period.  It took BJ Penn off the chessboard.  Then Nick Diaz.  So many of the best, most amazing fighters for a long time were suddenly old and fighting badly.  Matt Hughes, BJ Penn, Cro-Cop, Wanderlei Silva, Tito Ortiz.  One day Forrest Griffin is great, the next day he is sluggish and listless.  

It's one thing to have a slump.  Injuries happen.  Part of sports.  But to have so many things go wrong?  Bad timing, missed opportunities?  Dana took the Brock Lesnar news in stride, obviously because he wrongly anticipated Alistar Overeem replacing him as a cash cow.  But now, even he is in question.

President White can turn it around.  If I were Frank Fertilla, I'd tell Dana to make it right with Jon Fitch.  Scrub the Simpson fight, and match Fitch with Matt Hughes.  Or Jake Shields.  Tell BJ that if he wants to come back, he has to finish his business with Fitch in a 5-rounder.  Make things right.  Do the right thing.

There still is time for the UFC to hit new highs.  When GSP is ready to come back around November, schedule on the same card, a rematch between Velasquez/JDS, and a fight between Jon Jones and Anderson Silva.  With those 3 killer superfights, the UFC might hit between 1M - 1.3M PPV buys.  Three times the pop as the usual fare.

But unless Dana White fixes his attempted destruction and undermining of Fitch's career, it will all go awry.  When a man is on a downward spiral of negative karma, nothing seems to go right.  When the water is spilling over the sink, turn off the spigot before you start mopping the floor.

This year, the UFC hardly got over 600,000 PPV buys.  Sounds like karma to me.
Turn around, Dana.  Change your evil ways.  The sad part is that if the UFC goes down, it will take MMA down with it and a lot of wonder fighters.  They worked too hard to come to such a unjustified fate.

I realize this post will set a record for the most down arrows, but I just don't care anymore.

* Edited at 04.19.2012, 11:58 PM ET *

"Love God, live with honor, keep your agreements."

Responses Page 10

Bill Burgess
Bill Burgess

06.06.2012 | 10:54 PM ET

January 17, 2012 - Mark Munoz injured.  Out of UFC on Fox 2.
http://www.mmaweekly.com/mark-munoz-injured-chael-sonnen-vs-michael-bisping-new-ufc-on-fox-2-co-main-event

March 24, 2012 - Thiago Silva injured.
http://www.sbnation.com/soccer/2012/3/24/2899744/thiago-silva-injury-ac-milan-as-roma 

May 7, 2012 - Add Dominick Cruz to the injured list.
http://mmajunkie.com/news/28594/dominick-cruz-injured-forced-out-of-ufc-148-bout-with-urijah-faber.mma

May 27, 2012 - Vitor Belfort injured.  Out of UFC 147 fight with Wanderlei Silva.
http://www.bloodyelbow.com/2012/5/27/3046148/ufc-147-vitor-belfort-injured-wanderlei-silva 

May 30, 2012 - Alan Belcher injured.  Out of UFC 147 fight with Wanderlei Silva.
http://www.mmamania.com/2012/5/30/3052535/injury-alan-belcher-wanderlei-silva-ufc-147 

May 30, 2012 - Papy Abedi injured.  Out of UFC on FX 4 fight with Rick Story.
http://www.bloodyelbow.com/2012/5/30/3053757/ufc-on-fx-4-brock-jardine-vs-rick-story-abedi-attonito-mma-news

June 1, 2012 - Thiago Alves injured.  Out of UFC 149 fight against Siyar Bahadurzada.
http://mmacarnivale.com/2012/06/thiago-alves-injured-out-of-ufc-149/

June 3, 2012 - Jon Fitch injured, Out of UFC on Fuel TV 4 fight with Aaron Simpson.
http://mmajunkie.com/news/29030/jon-fitch-injured-forced-to-withdraw-from-julys-ufc-on-fuel-tv-4-event.mma 

June 6, 2012 - Now we hear that Brian Stann is injured.
http://www.mmatorch.com/artman2/publish/UFC_2/article_13536.shtml 

June 7, 2012 - Michael Bisping injured, out of UFC 149 fight with Tim Boetsch.
http://www.fightcove.com/michael-bisping-injured-hector-lombard-vs-tim-boetsch-on-tap-for-ufc-149/ 

* Edited at 06.07.2012, 1:50 AM ET *

Anik
Anik
  • Predictions:  6,592  |  62.5%
  • Forum Posts:  17,508
  • Post Score: 160

06.06.2012 | 10:55 PM ET

@Bill Burgess because they have a contract that they have to abide by or Showtime will sue Zuffa's asses.

"الله أكبرl"

Bill Burgess
Bill Burgess

06.06.2012 | 11:14 PM ET

What do you think Showtime felt every time the UFC raided another Strikeforce star?  They must have been so pleased.

Bill Burgess
Bill Burgess

06.06.2012 | 11:17 PM ET

When the injuries are announced, we roll with it.  But when you see the disable list assembled, it is hard to fathom.

Bill Burgess
Bill Burgess

06.07.2012 | 1:47 AM ET

June 7, 2012 - Michael Bisping injured, out of UFC 149 fight with Tim Boetsch.
http://www.fightcove.com/michael-bisping-injured-hector-lombard-vs-tim-boetsch-on-tap-for-ufc-149/ 

lbj6
lbj6
  • Predictions:  3,615  |  61.5%
  • Forum Posts:  2,025
  • Post Score: 210

06.07.2012 | 3:06 AM ET

I have to say it. @Bill Burgess, i'm a Christian and believe in everything it entails, but this thread (and you) annoy the **** out of me.

"get outta my face man! i gotta go get drunk"-Rampage

StickmanAndrw
StickmanAndrw
  • Predictions:  5,405  |  63.1%
  • Forum Posts:  1,146
  • Post Score: 141

06.07.2012 | 6:51 AM ET

You know..... as ridiculous as the notion is that God's punishing Dana White for screwing over Jon Fitch.... this really is getting a bit uncanny the amount of injuries we've had.

Nik Lust I believe is the one that keeps saying that it's because of the fighter insurance, and that could very well be the sole reason all the injuries happen.... but damn, this is a ridiculous amount of people pulling out of fights!

"I can't think of anything witty to say at the moment..."

buffalo ben
buffalo ben
  • Predictions:  3,705  |  58.2%
  • Forum Posts:  6,348
  • Post Score: 157

06.07.2012 | 8:57 AM ET

here's an idea: UFC on Showtime. Why the hell not???? 
@Bill. Thank you, that means a lot. I befriended you when i first started being a tapologist because you are one of the most respectful, and open minded people i have ever interacted with on the internet. You are a truly devoted and interested mma fan, and you are commited to learning more about the sport and supporting it. In other words; right back atcha buddy. :)

* Edited at 06.07.2012, 8:57 AM ET *

"You don't have to be perfect, just dont be fraudulant"

theMMAmessiah
theMMAmessiah
  • Predictions:  7,993  |  66.5%
  • Forum Posts:  8,433
  • Post Score: 103

06.07.2012 | 9:31 AM ET

@bill burgess is not a real human. He is an intelligent, successful troll. He posts enough normal **** so people overlook his absolute craziness and respond earnestly when he posts something ridiculous. Then the key to his success is always remaining calm and collected whilst trolling his points that it convinces people he truly believes the nonsense. While I hate trolls and most are completely worthless. Burgess at least does it right.

Bill Burgess
Bill Burgess

06.07.2012 | 9:39 AM ET

@lbj6  I apologize if I annoy you.  But actually, Christian Biblical scripture talks quite liberally of the Law of Karma.
It's a blending of cause and effect and the idea of Sin.

1. As ye sow, so shall you reap. (Christian Biblical scripture)
2. By their fruits, ye shall know them. (Christian Biblical scripture)
3. Can a fig tree bear olives, or a g****vine bear figs? (Christian Biblical scripture)

@buffalo ben  UFC on Showtime would be too good to be true.  But Gregory and Crime explained on another thread,
that when the UFC signed the Fox TV deal, that it must have included clauses that prevented Showtime from signing a deal with the UFC.  Showtime is a division of CBS, and Fox is a rival channel to CBS.  

So, the Fox contract is probably the stumbling block.  Here is that thread.
http://www.tapology.com/forum/open/189986?page=2

* Edited at 06.07.2012, 9:45 AM ET *

Bill Burgess
Bill Burgess

06.07.2012 | 9:44 AM ET

@MMAmessiah  Thank you for the strangest, most insulting 'compliment' I've heard yet.  Of all the compliments I've received here, yours is the most - recent.  The strangest part of your post is - I actually believe, with all my heart and soul, every iota and nuance of every word I post.  Which, by definition, defines me as NOT a troll.

I am not a troll.  I may be insane, by your standards, but not a troll.  

I may be ignorant about MMA, but I am at least sincerely ignorant.

I'm not even angry, just hurt.  You actually hurt my feelings, MMAmessiah.  Which is REALLY hard to do.  Insincerity is the cruelest criticism.

* Edited at 06.07.2012, 9:47 AM ET *

theMMAmessiah
theMMAmessiah
  • Predictions:  7,993  |  66.5%
  • Forum Posts:  8,433
  • Post Score: 103

06.07.2012 | 9:46 AM ET

Saying that something holds weight because it is written in christian biblical structure is the same as saying something is credible because it is in Dr. Seuss. The bible is a book written by a person on Earth just the same as any other book. God did not come down in a vision and be like "hey buddy write this **** down, and make sure you get it all, because this will be the only evidence I show of my existence in the next 5,000 years" If he could prove his existence to that dude. How come no one else in human history has been so blessed?

bababababbabababababbulllllshiit!!!!!

But see this is why he's successful, I know he is a troll, but yet I still responded.
Bill Burgess
Bill Burgess

06.07.2012 | 9:54 AM ET

@messiah  I did not say I believe in the Bible.  I am not even a Christian.  But I quoted the Bible because lbj6 IS a Christian and said I annoyed the **** out of him.  So, I was just engaging him in civil discussion, as a courtesy.

I was seeking common ground with another good member, as I normally try to do.  As I am trying to do with you now, even though you insulted me and hurt my feelings.  I am less into agreement as I am understanding.  

Why let sports chat make you so aggressive with a stranger.  You don't know me, and I don't pretend to know you.  We're just having friendly sports talk here.  I hope.  No need to get personal.  When we disagree, let's at least do so with respect and camaraderie.  If we can't, I'll try to stay out of your way.  It's not my purpose here to piss people off.  I'm a loving guy trying to learn MMA.  That's it.

Bill Burgess
Bill Burgess

06.07.2012 | 10:02 AM ET

As I understand it, an internet troll is someone who posts stuff they don't believe in, just for personal attention.  

I never do that.  I do like to discuss controversial MMA subjects, like women's MMA, for example, to provoke intelligent, thoughtful discuss.  I do not post things I do not believe.  NEVER.  That would make me a hypocrite.  An ignorant *******.  I am trying to get people to look at the future of MMA and discuss how it might be made better.  How we can break through to the mainstream and gain acceptability in the sports community in general.

I never play dumb, or use the Socratic Method of playing dumb to make others look silly.  That is beneath me.  I like people too much to do that ****.  Life is too short (unless you're doing hard time in prison) to waste playing games.  If you disagree with me, at least give me credit for being sincere and telling it straight.  At least give me that much.  Please.  

And if you can't do that, then don't talk to me.  Don't waste your time and mine.

* Edited at 06.07.2012, 10:28 AM ET *

kctec
kctec
  • Predictions:  3,322  |  57.3%
  • Forum Posts:  80
  • Post Score: 159

06.07.2012 | 10:08 AM ET

This is truely nonsense.  I can tell that Bill has very little knowledge of the media industry.    The problem here is CBS (The owner of showtime) vs FOX.  FX, Fuel, FOX are all properties owned by Fox Broadcasting named after its sister company 20th century Fox.  Fox transplanted CBS as the #1 netowrk a few years back.  How this all works.

The UFC has a contract to use fox as the carrier for their productions.  The agreement means that FOX talent will produce the shows to some degree (see the new art and graphics and music used on their PPV and live shows).  The contract includes PPV offerings.  meaning their is NO WAY IN HELL that Fox would agree for a UFC event to be brodcast on a property they did not own.

That being said how then does Zuffa move contracts between strike force and the UFC.  The UFC is owned by Zuffa,  Zuffa has no contract with FOX.  Zuffa owns Strikeforce who has a similar arrangement with CBS.  Therefore you could see Strikeforce on the Movie Channel, Flix, CBS Sports Network but nowhere else.   Fighters are contracted between Zuffa the UFC and Strikeforce.  They are pledged to one organization or the other.  

Strikeforce contracts allow fighters to fight in other promotions.  While UFC contracts do not.  Anytime a fighter migrates from Strikeforce to the UFC a new negotiation must occur.  That means lawyers ... hassle ... more cash out of Zuffa's pocket's.  The Only reason they will migrate a fighter to the UFC is because it means the fighter will bring in enough money on a PPV to offset the cost of restructuring their contract.  

Gilbert Melendez is Strikeforce not because he is on deserving of a UFC deal but because right now the LW division is stacked.  Adding him to the roster at this point does not generate enough extra revenue to warrant the change.

Now back to the whole Biblical Reap and Sow stuff.  really The UFC is plagued more than other promotions by injuries?  Come on?  What a lark.  MMA is a very demanding sport,  any of us who train can tell you the rigors it takes on your body.  

Zuffa's net worth is around 1.1 Billion at last count.   Its really a small company.  To put it into perspective ESPN makes 5 billion a year.  Zuffa is still a small struggling company this reap and sow nonsense can probably be said about any middle tier company trying to make a buck.   And just a final thought without Dana White its possible Zuffa would have gone the way of Dream and Pride by now.

"If you can't beat them, put them into your trunk and drive them to somewhere you can."

kctec
kctec

06.07.2012 | 10:10 AM ET

Sorry for the bad grammar.  I typed this too fast. Guess I was fired up.

"If you can't beat them, put them into your trunk and drive them to somewhere you can."

JudoRandori
JudoRandori

06.07.2012 | 10:17 AM ET

Bill, as much as I kinda just became a fan of yours I do feel compelled to disagree with you out of my profound respect for Socrates. The Socratic Method isn't at all about playing dumb, its just a matter of questioning things in a way to provoke further investigation and plumb the depths of one's convictions. I am fairly certain that you know that and just worded that in a manner that happened to get a response from me, but I did have to make mention.

Bill Burgess
Bill Burgess

06.07.2012 | 10:24 AM ET

@kctec  Thanks for the excellent post, my friend.  I appreciate you taking the time to 'educate' me and everyone else.  I didn't realize that the Fox deal was not between Zuffa and Fox.  I truly thought it was Zuffa negotiating, not the UFC.  My mistake.  

To call a company worth 1.1 billion a small struggling company is strange, but whatever.  It's all relative.  MMA has always had a lot of injuries, but the curve just exploded after the August 16, 2011 scheduling of the Fitch/Hendricks fight.

But it may also have something to do with the institution of the great health insurance coverage offered.  I get that.  I have not dismissed the possible timing factor.  The insurance coverage was offered May 9, 2011, only 3 months and a week before the Fitch/Hendricks announcement.  So, there may be some spill-over there.  Probably is.

Thanks for taking the time, kctec.  Appreciate you can disagree with respect and not beat me up.

kctec
kctec

06.07.2012 | 10:54 AM ET

Another thought is why Fighters do not fight injured in the UFC.  One good reason is the stakes and cash are usually substantially greater than in other promotions.  In the UFC you may get a fight contract for 20 to fight 20k win bonus.  If your injured it reduces your chances at the win bonus.   Financially your better off waiting until your healthy to give yourself a better chance at the money.  Also the UFC has a habit of dropping fighters who lose a couple in a row off their roster.  So once again your better off waiting until your healthy to fight.

Bill Burgess
Bill Burgess

06.07.2012 | 11:11 AM ET

Gilbert Melendez signed a contract with Strikeforce on February 7, 2011.  The terms of the deal were not disclosed but it was for a multi-year deal.

So, it looks like he's stuck there until that contract runs its course, however long that turns out to be.
http://prommanow.com/2011/02/07/strikeforce-155-champ-gilbert-melendez-signs-contract-extension/

So, I take back my opinion that the UFC is being unfair to him.  

Page 10

You must be signed in to reply. Sign in or register to join the discussion.

As an anonymous reader, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

• MMA Junkie : Lucas Almeida attributes UFC on ESPN 58 win to mental work: 'There was nothing to fear'
  • MMA Junkie : MMA community reacts to Father's Day, celebrates on social media
  • MMAFighting.com : Watch new UFC 303 promo headlined by Alex Pereira vs. Jiri Prochazka rematch
  • MMA Mania : ‘MVP’ Wants Usman After Wrecking Garry At UFC 303
  • MMA Junkie : Mick Maynard's Shoes: What's next for Tatsuro Taira after UFC on ESPN 58 win?
  • MMA Junkie : Miles Johns: UFC Apex main event vs. Ricky Simon 'would be kind of cool'
  • Middle Easy : Robert Whittaker Says Ikram Aliskerov Is ‘Different Threat’, Eyes Title Rematch With Dricus Du Plessis
  • MMA Junkie : Linton Vassell might get over playoff miss if PFL booked him vs. Ryan Bader
  • MMA Mania : Mayweather Releases Infamous ‘Tank’ Vs. Haney Doghouse Session
  • MMAFighting.com : Watch Cris Cyborg destroy another opponent with brutal boxing knockout at Crypto Fight Night
  • MMA Junkie : Rose Namajunas' history with UFC Denver foe Maycee Barber includes 'uncalled for' moment with father
  • MMAFighting.com : Anderson Silva says knockouts weren’t allowed in Chael Sonnen boxing exhibition
  • MMA Junkie : UFC on ESPN 58 post-event facts: Prelim fighter scores ultra-rare finish
  • MMAFighting.com : Anderson Silva vs. Chael Sonnen full fight video for boxing match
  • Middle Easy : Michael Chandler Drinks Away His Disappointment Over UFC 303 Main Event Cancellation; Conor McGregor Gives Update On Injury
  • MMA Mania : O’Malley Offers New Deodorant To ‘Smelly Boy’ Merab
  • MMA Junkie : 2024 PFL 5: Make your predictions for light heavyweights and lightweights in Salt Lake City
  • MMAFighting.com : UFC Saudi Arabia fight card official with new lineup
  • MMA Junkie : Chael Sonnen objects to boxing draw vs. Anderson Silva: 'I won the first three rounds'
  • MMA Mania : Video! Perez Stretchered Out Of UFC Vegas 93