Topic: Top Welterweights - 170 lbs.

consenus tapology ww rankings make me SMILE!!

Anonymous Mode

You are not logged in to Tapology. When browsing anonymously, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

jersey0525
jersey0525
  • Predictions:  2,766  |  60.6%
  • Forum Posts:  4,536
  • Post Score: 188

01.30.2012 | 4:10 PM ET

NUMBER ONE IS NICK DIAZ!!! :)

TEAM DIAZ CELEBRATE!!!

HAHA

"im an OT (ORIGINAL TAPOLOGIST), I used to write for cagepages.com. NO ONE CAN TAKE THAT LEFT HAND SHOT"

Responses Page 3

skelliher
skelliher
  • Predictions:  5,670  |  63.4%
  • Forum Posts:  11,051
  • Post Score: 245

01.30.2012 | 9:12 PM ET

@Swick: I was probably in the midst of editing my rankings when you posted that, but I have Fitch and Shields above Diaz because they have relevant fights against other members of the top ten, while Diaz does not. I make my rankings based on what people have done, not based on what I think they will do. If Diaz beats Condit, he will go to my No. 2 spot, although I think guys like Koscheck, Fitch, Shields, Ellenberger, and Hendricks would all beat him handily. I think most of them would beat Condit as well.

"When a game cannot be won, change the game."

xbassistdoodx
xbassistdoodx
  • Predictions:  2,546  |  56.7%
  • Forum Posts:  3,218
  • Post Score: 104

01.30.2012 | 10:47 PM ET

I have Fitch at #2 because he's been #2 forever. And one fluke KO loss does not change that. Especially to someone as dangerous as Hendricks.

"If I have seen further than others, it is by standing on the shoulders of giants" - Isaac Newton

Lopati
Lopati
  • Predictions:  18,574  |  61.4%
  • Forum Posts:  13,352
  • Post Score: 179

01.30.2012 | 10:54 PM ET

I can understand that.  But his draw and that loss for me move him down a ways.

"One does not hunt in order to kill; on the contrary, one kills in order to have hunted. If one were to present the sportsman with the death of the animal as a gift he would refuse it." Jose Ortega y Gasset

rorschach
rorschach
  • Predictions:  4,978  |  64.6%
  • Forum Posts:  1,120
  • Post Score: 153

01.30.2012 | 11:06 PM ET

Woo Hoo!! Rejoice @Jersey and TEAM DIAZ!!

"I will **** you." ~Me

Anik
Anik
  • Predictions:  6,592  |  62.5%
  • Forum Posts:  17,508
  • Post Score: 160

01.30.2012 | 11:09 PM ET

@Gregory Injury has forced him off of my list. If he was fighting the winner of Diaz/Condit in the summer, I'd have him as my undisputed number one. Heck, if he was injured until March I'd have him as my undisputed number one. But he's out because he has fought in a year.

"الله أكبرl"

JustynOfOsiris
JustynOfOsiris
  • Predictions:  4,334  |  57.2%
  • Forum Posts:  3,239
  • Post Score: 122

01.30.2012 | 11:16 PM ET

I just looked at all the records and moved people around a little bit and here's what i came up with. Trying to be as unbiased and justifiable as possible.
The only one that i am for sure about is GSP being number one the rest are all kinda arguable.

"Is reality really realistic?"

rorschach
rorschach

01.30.2012 | 11:18 PM ET

@CashBrewyn well April 30th will be when GSP's year since his last fight is up, I don't see him returning before then.

"I will **** you." ~Me

xbassistdoodx
xbassistdoodx
  • Predictions:  2,546  |  56.7%
  • Forum Posts:  3,218
  • Post Score: 104

01.30.2012 | 11:22 PM ET

Well,

Diaz is surely not the best welterweight fighter in the world,

that's just stupid. I mean, I get it if you're a fan, but the guy is not the best. Not even close.

"If I have seen further than others, it is by standing on the shoulders of giants" - Isaac Newton

rorschach
rorschach

01.30.2012 | 11:31 PM ET

@Skell the only person in your or anyone else's top ten Fitch has beaten is Sanchez, and with Shields the same thing with the controversial win over Kampmann. Where as 3 of Nick Diaz's last 6 opponents were in the top ten, and he finished the first two in the 1st round, and put the worst beating on BJ Penn anyone has ever done.

Whether you like him or not Diaz should be ranked ahead of both of them.

"I will **** you." ~Me

skelliher
skelliher
  • Predictions:  5,670  |  63.4%
  • Forum Posts:  11,051
  • Post Score: 245

01.31.2012 | 12:49 AM ET

Who exactly was a top tenner that Diaz beat besides Penn? I hope you're not referring to Paul Daley.

"When a game cannot be won, change the game."

rorschach
rorschach

01.31.2012 | 1:09 AM ET

Yep he was #8 when Diaz beat him, and I said 3 of Diaz's last 6 fights were against top ten opponents, Zaromskis was #8 when Diaz fought him for the Strikeforce WW title as well. Looked up the archived rankings at Fight Matrix myself. His second fight against Jeremy Jackson was a top ten win too, but that was so long ago I won't even count that one. Even still that's more top ten wins then Fitch has had.

"I will **** you." ~Me

jodybanman
jodybanman
  • Predictions:  3,332  |  61.2%
  • Forum Posts:  1,707
  • Post Score: 237

01.31.2012 | 1:32 AM ET

Any ranking that ever ranked Mariusz Zaromskis in the top ten is invalidated by it's own ridiculousness.

"I don't want to have to do this living. I just walk around. I want to be swept off my feet, you know? I want my children to have magical powers. I am prepared for amazing things to happen. I can handle it."

jodybanman
jodybanman

01.31.2012 | 1:34 AM ET

And Jeremy Jackson was never top ten at anything except ******* up his life.

"I don't want to have to do this living. I just walk around. I want to be swept off my feet, you know? I want my children to have magical powers. I am prepared for amazing things to happen. I can handle it."

rorschach
rorschach

01.31.2012 | 1:36 AM ET

Yes they both were, Jackson was when Diaz fought him the second time, you can find it in the archived welterweight rankings at Fight Matrix. Same with Zaromskis when Diaz fought him for the SF welterweight championship, I'm sorry if you don't agree with the ranking but you can check the site and see for yourself.

* Edited at 01.31.2012, 1:40 AM ET *

"I will **** you." ~Me

Hellequin
Hellequin
  • Predictions:  2,084  |  57.8%
  • Forum Posts:  555
  • Post Score: 138

01.31.2012 | 1:42 AM ET

In reference to Kos, KOing Matt Hughes is something to celebrate in MY book!!!

Never been a Hughes fan!

"The punches that land, are the most dangerous..." " Boiling Crock Pot of Excellence " "He ate that like a pop-tart!" ~Joe Rogan

jodybanman
jodybanman

01.31.2012 | 1:44 AM ET

That is one of many sites that offer MMA rankings.  It isn't what I would consider a reputable one, and I find their methods highly questionable.  

I mean, I like Tatsuya Kawajiri as much as the next guy, but #2 at 145?  Come on.

Any ranking that swerves from the consensus repeatedly is not reputable or mainstream.  

Try Sherdog, or MMAWeekly, or my favorite, the consensus rankings on Bloody Elbow.

Hellequin
Hellequin
  • Predictions:  2,084  |  57.8%
  • Forum Posts:  555
  • Post Score: 138

01.31.2012 | 1:46 AM ET

I've never put too much stock in "stats'. I know Fitch should statistically be in the top 10, but you won't find him in mine!

"The punches that land, are the most dangerous..." " Boiling Crock Pot of Excellence " "He ate that like a pop-tart!" ~Joe Rogan

Swickotine
Swickotine
  • Predictions:  18,150  |  61.8%
  • Forum Posts:  11,851
  • Post Score: 223

01.31.2012 | 2:01 AM ET

You guys are talking about what people have done and Diaz hasn't fought top ten guys...but you have Hendricks at #3? He lost to Rick Story, won a Split Decision over Mike Pierce, and yeah obviously the KO of Fitch was great but other than that...TJ Waldburger? He hasn't really done that much...I think a 10 fight win streak, 3x defending the SF belt, and ending BJ's Career (for a short time haha) is better, but of course it's just my opinion and I probably won't change anyone's minds...but there's my two cents.

"I'm bi-polar...nice jab, mean hook."

Swickotine
Swickotine
  • Predictions:  18,150  |  61.8%
  • Forum Posts:  11,851
  • Post Score: 223

01.31.2012 | 2:06 AM ET

Skelliher - "Who exactly was a top tenner that Diaz beat besides Penn? I hope you're not referring to Paul Daley."

Yeah, the guy that KO'd your #9 in the first round...

"I'm bi-polar...nice jab, mean hook."

rorschach
rorschach

01.31.2012 | 2:45 AM ET

@Jody do any of those sites you mentioned offer archived rankings, so I can cross-check with the rankings I already found? Diaz/Jackson II was almost 9 years ago now, plus no matter what site you visit rankings are ultimately just someones opinions. I almost disagree with Sherdog's (UFC biased heavy) rankings as I do agree with them, and you can find many others that would agree with me on that.

Just look at having Fitch at #2 all those years, for beating Thiago Alves and Diego Sanchez the rest of his UFC wins were against UFC mid-tier fighters, half of which are no longer employed there. But because they were wins in the UFC that makes them "impressive", but if Joe Schmo defeats Ben Saunders in Bellator, ain't nobody gonna make a big deal of it. It all boils down to opinions vary my friend, Fitch's long win streak isn't as impressive to me when it's against names like Larson, Burkman, Hironaka, Fioravanti, Alves, Carneiro, Sanchez, Wilson. I find Diaz's current streak of Inoue, Corbbrey, Denny, Shamrock, Smith, Zaromskis, Sakurai, Noons, Cyborg, Daley, Penn & counting just as impressive if not more so, because just about anyone of those men can finish you in an instant. But they weren't UFC wins, so he gets no credit, but you tell me, in your opinion, do you think Fitch's wins over Wilson, Carneiro & Fioravanti are more impressive then wins over Smith, Shamrock & Noons?

"I will **** you." ~Me

Page 3

You must be signed in to reply. Sign in or register to join the discussion.

As an anonymous reader, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

• MMA Junkie : MMA Junkie Radio #3461: Daniel Cormier and Austin O'Connor interviews, UFC preview, more
  • MMAFighting.com : UFC, Kingdom of Saudi Arabia extend partnership for another event, sponsorship deal
  • MMA Junkie : Joaquin Buckley aims for 'viral moment' in St. Louis homecoming fight at UFC on ESPN 56
  • MMA Mania : Dolidze Vs. Pereira Added To UFC Louisville
  • MMAFighting.com : UFC heavyweight Tai Tuivasa to appear on The Amazing Race Australia
  • Middle Easy : Exclusive: Jared Cannonier Was Offered Paulo Costa At UFC 301, Admits Next Fight ‘Wasn’t What I Wanted’
  • MMA Mania : Jones: ‘Intern’ Champ Aspinall ‘Just As Selfish’ To Wait For Undisputed Title Fight
  • Bad Left Hook : ‘This is retirement for him’: Kambosos expects to end Lomachenko’s career with KO
  • Bad Left Hook : ‘This is retirement for him’: George Kambosos expects to end Vasiliy Lomachenko’s career with KO
  • Middle Easy : Stipe Miocic Reveals Timeline For Jon Jones Fight as ‘Bones’ Doubles Down on Ducking Tom Aspinall
  • UFC.com : Road To UFC Season 3 Matchups
  • MMA Junkie : Jared Cannonier vs. Nassourdine Imavov headlines UFC Fight Night in Louisville
  • MMA Junkie : Islam Makhachev predicts guillotine choke will lead to Dustin Poirier's downfall at UFC 302
  • MMA Mania : PFL MENA Weigh Ins Results, Staredowns!
  • MMAFighting.com : Derrick Lewis thought Popeyes was key to longevity, believes he’s in his prime ahead of UFC St. Louis
  • MMAFighting.com : UFC 1 star Art ‘One Glove’ Jimmerson dies at 60
  • MMA Junkie : Jon Jones steadfast in Stipe Miocic fight over unifying UFC titles: 'I’m in the middle of a pretty clear decision'
  • MMAFighting.com : Roman Dolidze vs. Michel Pereira set for UFC Louisville
  • MMA Mania : Is UFC Leaving ESPN For Netflix?
  • UFC.com : Art Jimmerson, 1963 - 2024