Tapology Forums

Jones and Sonnen to coach the next TUF

Anonymous Mode

You are not logged in to Tapology. When browsing anonymously, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

poir420
poir420
  • Predictions:  143,346  |  63.0%
  • Forum Posts:  18,232
  • Post Score: 245

10.16.2012 | 3:14 PM ET

http://www.latimes.com/sports/sportsnow/la-sp-sn-ufc-jon-jones-chael-sonnen-ultimate-fighter-20121016,0,1269872.story

Looks like they will fight on April 27th

* Edited at 10.16.2012, 3:24 PM ET *

"“All of a sudden, he was shooting for a takedown, and I’m like, ‘Oh, you’re a wrestler now? Remember, I’m the black belt in jiu-jitsu. And you’re shooting on me now? This is a wrap." - Nate Diaz"

Responses Page 8

WishIsHere
WishIsHere
  • Predictions:  24,429  |  64.4%
  • Forum Posts:  7,003
  • Post Score: 232

10.17.2012 | 5:43 AM ET

I had like a 2 page write up for this, but I really should simplify.

If a fighter is good enough to become a star. He will win consistently. In the UFC after a few fights his pay scale will increase significantly more than compared fighters in other organizations. Say DJ Linderman had won his last 3 fights impressively with the UFC instead of Cage Warriors. He would make more sponsor dollars, get a better contract at renegotiation for a new contract, and more name recognition (meaning more money). Once you get to a certain stage your talents will either keep you at 40k-100k paycheck (most would consider gatekeeper status) or elevate you to a millionaire. ****, I can guarantee you Bonnar is a millionaire and he is the definition of that area what people call gatekeeper. Regardless, you will make more money in the UFCthan any other competing organization once you pass that entry level stage of the UFC. Do you really think if Aoki joined the UFC and won many times keeping his reputation he wouldn't make more money than in One FC. He most definitely would make more money in the UFC than in any other organization.

McCall would be making peanuts still if he didn't join the UFC because you know damn well that One FC can't match that that type of pay. Bibiano is happy being a big fish in a small pond, but if he loses, say good bye to a significant portion of money.

Also WSOF which people are hailing as a new big organization shouldn't even be considered right now. They are already having financial budgeting problems made apparent when they dropped McSweeney for an opponent with pretty much 0 name recognition to fight Tyrone Spong. We are talking McSweeney people. They didn't want to pay for the name so they dropped him.

You can stay outside the UFC to a certain extent, but if you are good enough, you are just going to make a smaller paycheck staying out.

What the point of arguing what a good fighter outside of the UFC is going to make compared to an entry level fighter? They could go to the UFC making the same pay and win a couple of times to double the pay and then get even more money in a second contract. I guarantee you when Weidman is up for a new contract he is going to make easily the money that Munoz makes if not more.

* Edited at 10.17.2012, 5:49 AM ET *

"I bought a Bruno mars cd once - gunn4206"

MikeLovesTacos XD
MikeLovesTacos XD
  • Predictions:  30,422  |  59.3%
  • Forum Posts:  22,488
  • Post Score: 203

10.17.2012 | 7:00 AM ET

"Why are you booing me? I am the GOAT. **** you." - Patricio "Pitbull" Freire

mmown
mmown
  • Predictions:  2,384  |  62.6%
  • Forum Posts:  377
  • Post Score: 147

10.17.2012 | 8:52 AM ET

I completely agree with Hendo. The Silva vs. Bonnar fight was a fun fight, and now this has the feeling of a fun fight too. I hope they don't keep making these kind of fights. Give us fights that make sense. I want to see Jones vs. Teixeira.
CANARY
CANARY
  • Predictions:  2,734  |  55.1%
  • Forum Posts:  55
  • Post Score: 82

10.17.2012 | 11:53 AM ET

Im confused are we talking about the UFC or the WWE?

"LIVE TO FIGHT ANOTHER DAY"

Crispy989
Crispy989
  • Predictions:  2,929  |  63.8%
  • Forum Posts:  121
  • Post Score: 176

10.17.2012 | 12:14 PM ET

Great drama for the series TUF can jones take chaels torture!

"Leave it all in the Cage"

Crispy989
Crispy989
  • Predictions:  2,929  |  63.8%
  • Forum Posts:  121
  • Post Score: 176

10.17.2012 | 12:15 PM ET

Jones will toy with Sonnen in the cage though

"Leave it all in the Cage"

BlackSwan
BlackSwan
  • Predictions:  6,279  |  65.1%
  • Forum Posts:  165
  • Post Score: 105

10.17.2012 | 1:00 PM ET

This makes a lot of sense from a business perspective. TUF ratings have been dropping season by season. People will tune in just to watch Sonnen. This will also guarantee many PPV buys as well. Remember, it's all about the money, all the time.
poir420
poir420

10.17.2012 | 3:29 PM ET

MMA Roasted ‏@MMARoasted

The UFC just announced that the Loser of the Sonnen/Jones fight has to do the Winner's Community Service. #UFC

"“All of a sudden, he was shooting for a takedown, and I’m like, ‘Oh, you’re a wrestler now? Remember, I’m the black belt in jiu-jitsu. And you’re shooting on me now? This is a wrap." - Nate Diaz"

wilflet
wilflet
  • Predictions:  8,201  |  59.2%
  • Forum Posts:  2,413
  • Post Score: 228

10.17.2012 | 3:35 PM ET

Poir that post is the best thing about the series!

"Demons run when a good man goes to war."

MikeLovesTacos XD
MikeLovesTacos XD

10.17.2012 | 4:13 PM ET

TJ Combo
TJ Combo
  • Predictions:  2,896  |  67.3%
  • Forum Posts:  310
  • Post Score: 130

10.17.2012 | 4:17 PM ET

conference call is on right now. TUF will no longer be on fridays.

"Life is simple, perish or you own it. Bury your opponent, and cherish every moment. -Madchild"

MadMikeXD
MadMikeXD

10.17.2012 | 4:17 PM ET

When Machida speaks up to tell you its wrong something is really wrong.
MikeLovesTacos XD
MikeLovesTacos XD

10.17.2012 | 4:24 PM ET

Live2wrestle
Live2wrestle
  • Predictions:  22,482  |  63.5%
  • Forum Posts:  11,857
  • Post Score: 236

10.17.2012 | 4:25 PM ET

Machida cant say ****, he turned down the shot

"She be curvin all the locals, must like foreigns and this is when I had the Martin, I was just like Lawrence so wassup"

poir420
poir420

10.17.2012 | 4:25 PM ET

* Edited at 10.17.2012, 4:32 PM ET *

MadMikeXD
MadMikeXD

10.17.2012 | 4:28 PM ET

No Live.Machida had a lot to lose.Dana had told him he was getting the next shot at the time.He wants a full training camp because if he loses he gets thrown to the back of the division and loses the spot he earned.Chael however was getting big money and a free unearned title shot.

He had plenty of room to talk.

* Edited at 10.17.2012, 4:29 PM ET *

poir420
poir420

10.17.2012 | 4:30 PM ET

@live2wrestle damn you beat me to it lol

MikeLovesTacos XD
MikeLovesTacos XD

10.17.2012 | 4:33 PM ET

I think Sonnen got the fight over Machida and Hendo for one reason.

Hendo got hurt, but basically hid it from Dana until last minute. Therefore ultimately destroying UFC 151. Who stepped up to save the PPV like superman himself on 8 days notice. Chael P Sonnen. After Jon Jones declined the fight who then DECLINED the Jon Jones fight at UFC 152? Lyoto Machida (and I love the guy). It's to send a message. The UFC and Dana White appreciate guys who step up

MajorRyan
MajorRyan
  • Predictions:  1,880  |  60.4%
  • Forum Posts:  80
  • Post Score: 150

10.17.2012 | 4:41 PM ET

Losing Trust In My Beloved

Listen, I know this will win me a few thumbs downs right off the bat, but I'm right there with the biggest fans of Sonnen for the very reasons that he is loved/hated. He's a great fighter (not THE greatest, but great), he goes after the best fights he can get and finds them by any means. Also, he gives spice to the UFC. I enjoy a classy fighter just the same, but we are all human, we love drama, or we love to hate it and that's exactly what Sonnen provides to fight fans. 

That being said, I really can't approve of this fight being set up.

We are losing credibility in the ladder system of fighting and it is becoming more and more obvious that these are ploys for ticket sales and ratings. 

Now growing up on boxing I am well aware of squash matches, legend fights and set-up fights for a elite fighter to KO someone to please the crowd, but when it comes to CHAMPIONSHIP fights you have to set up credible contenders.

That does not necessarily mean that every fight is going to be close and I understand that. The skill level of a champion can be well above the top contender. Remember the last middle weight champion? Yeah, me either.

But I believe that a fighter needs AT LEAST three consecutive wins to earn a title shot with the exception being a  former champion or an exceptional fighter (Moving weight class, consecutive knockouts, huge history in a different league or smaller pro organizations) and I still believe they would need to win 2 fights CONVINCINGLY to earn a shot with the exception of injuries opening doors for these people. 

As awful as UFC 112 was, its a great example of what I am talking about. Damien Maia earned a shot by winning consecutive fights. Did he get embarrassed? Yes. But he earned his way there and deserved the title shot and to top it all off it adds to the legitimacy of OUR middleweight champion Anderson Silva. 

Picking and choosing contenders based on how many pay-per-view buys it will warrant is something done in professional wrestling and I hate to say that the UFC is moving more and more in that direction each day. 

With that all being said, Go Sonnen ;) 

poir420
poir420

10.17.2012 | 4:49 PM ET

Thumb up from me! A reasonable Sonnen fan I didn't know they existed! =P

* Edited at 10.17.2012, 4:50 PM ET *

Page 8

You must be signed in to reply. Sign in or register to join the discussion.

As an anonymous reader, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

• Jits Magazine : Charles Oliveira Open To Colby Covington And Max Holloway Superfights
  • MMAFighting.com : Stamp Fairtex out of June fight, U.S. card after serious knee injury
  • Jits Magazine : IBJJF Baton Rouge Open 2024 Features Several Top Competitors
  • MMA Mania : SWATTED? Armed Police Disrupt ‘Suga’ Show
  • MMA Mania : Midnight Mania! Armed Police Disrupt ‘Suga’ Show
  • MMA Junkie : Kamaru Usman: Belal Muhammad not a 'high-enough level of a wrestler' to beat Leon Edwards at UFC 304
  • MMA Mania : Silva-Sonnen 3 Proposed As MMA, But Sonnen Targeting ‘Gamebred’
  • MMA Junkie : Islam Makhachev's coach: Arman Tsarukyan passing up title shot 'right call from him'
  • Middle Easy : Chael Sonnen Reveals October Boxing Clash with Jorge Masvidal in the Works
  • MMA Junkie : UFC 304 adds Oban Elliott vs. Preston Parsons
  • MMA Mania : ‘That’s The Fight!’ Edwards And McGregor Share Mutual Interest
  • MMAFighting.com : UFC Saudi Arabia adds several bouts for Robert Whittaker vs. Khamzat Chimaev card
  • Middle Easy : Conor McGregor Addresses His Comments on Sean O’Malley, Goes Off on Ilia Topuria, and Targets Leon Edwards in Wild Livestream
  • MMA Junkie : Tyron Woodley plans on MMA return, blames 'wack' UFC Apex for recent performances
  • Middle Easy : Demetrious Johnson Not Interested in Usyk vs. Fury Rematch, Urges ‘The Cat’ to Retire: ‘There’s Nothing Left He Can Prove’
  • MMA Mania : Aspinall: ‘Next Fight After Blaydes Has To Be For Undisputed Title’
  • MMAFighting.com : Sean O’Malley reveals crazy story after fake police call: ‘They said I killed my parents’
  • Middle Easy : Tom Aspinall Hopes to See Oleksandr Usyk and Tyson Fury Run It Back, Will ‘Wait Out’ for Jon Jones After Blaydes Fight
  • MMA Junkie : Conor McGregor rips UFC champ Ilia Topuria: ‘He reminds me of a retarded Artem Lobov’
  • MMAFighting.com : Conor McGregor trashes UFC champ Ilia Topuria: ‘He reminds me of a little r*tard Artem Lobov’