Topic: George Sotiropoulos

One to watch for

Anonymous Mode

You are not logged in to Tapology. When browsing anonymously, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

lilspyder
lilspyder
  • Predictions:  32,913  |  62.1%
  • Forum Posts:  288
  • Post Score: 100

02.24.2011 | 9:20 PM ET

So when I saw George on the show I must say i was a full on hater of G-Sot. I mean I saw him doing his morning mind techniques and such and I just thought he was a tool because of how he was talking and saying he was the best fighter on the show. So when he lost to Tommy Speers I was pretty thrilled. Little did I know that he was right and he has become the best fighter off of that season. He is currently on an eight fight win streak in the ufc and has not lost in the octagon yet. Plus his jiu jitsu is just unbelievable. He is definitely one of my BJJ heroe's in mma and his style is one I try to emulate when I roll. This guy will definitly be one to vie for the title soon and I think he should get a shot if he wins on saturday and one more fight after that

"Never Give Up! These violent delights have violent ends. Amat victoria paratum"

George Sotiropoulos

Photo Source:  

Fighter Details

• Name: George Sotiropoulos
  • Pro MMA Record: 14-7-0, 1 NC (Win-Loss-Draw)
  • Nickname: N/A
  • Current Streak: 5 Losses
  • Last Fight: May 26, 2023 in HEX
  • Weight Class: Lightweight | Last Weigh-In: 155.5 lbs
  • Affiliation: Fisticuff/Purebred Omiya
  • Height: 5'10" (178cm) | Reach: 71.0" (180cm)
  • Career Disclosed Earnings: $205,000 USD
  • Born: Geelong, Victoria, Australia
  • Fighting out of: Geelong, Victoria, Australia
  • Fighter Links:
  • Personal Links:

Responses

GutturalReef
GutturalReef
  • Predictions:  386  |  56.5%
  • Forum Posts:  105
  • Post Score: 39

02.24.2011 | 9:33 PM ET

I must say, I concur with you, lilspyder....

"If people ain't hatin', you doin' somethin' wrong...."

SoccerKick
SoccerKick
  • Predictions:  32,055  |  61.8%
  • Forum Posts:  13,504
  • Post Score: 186

02.25.2011 | 6:05 AM ET

I don't remember a whole lot from that season of TUF which is surprising since it was one I actually watched (Gotta support BJ!)...but I agree G-Sot has become the best fighter from that show which had some talented guys

"I'm too old to be run by the fears of dumb people "

LynxGuy
LynxGuy
  • Predictions:  1,054  |  59.7%
  • Forum Posts:  1,120
  • Post Score: 138

02.25.2011 | 8:24 AM ET

I agree with almost all of what you say, only I think G-Sot deserves the title shot if he beats Siver.  He'll be 8 - 0 in the UFC with mostly finishes.  The problem is the winner of Guida vs Pettis is probably going to get the next title shot so you may ultimately be right about him needing to win another fight.  Sotiropoulos has definitely been an exciting fighter to watch in the UFC.

"Don't be scared, homie." - Nick Diaz

lilspyder
lilspyder

02.25.2011 | 7:40 PM ET

Ah the reason you don't remember him Soccerkick was because he was on the season after. He fought at WW when he was on the show and I can't remember but I think he was on Team Serra. BJ as you remember coached LW. G-Sot dropped down after the show. As to LynxGuy I think you have it better with him deserving the shot after if he wins but because of the situation, then yes he will have to fight one more time and win to fight for the belt I say look for him to be the contender sometime next year, since it will take til the end of the year to get all of the contender mess fixed. Jeez one title draw and it screws everything up! (still can't believe it, first draw ever for a title!)

"Never Give Up! These violent delights have violent ends. Amat victoria paratum"

SoccerKick
SoccerKick

02.25.2011 | 8:33 PM ET

Wow...I really thought he was on team Penn, but after being told that I remember him on Team Serra and he's definitely the best from TUF 6! Maybe the fact they both wore blue threw me off!

TacomaTerror
TacomaTerror
  • Predictions:  149  |  60.4%
  • Forum Posts:  480
  • Post Score: 59

02.25.2011 | 8:52 PM ET

I can see them putting him up against Guillard considering he wins against whomever they put him against.

" ."All praise is to Allah, I'll fight any man, any animal, if Jesus were here I'd fight him too." "

SoccerKick
SoccerKick

02.25.2011 | 9:09 PM ET

G-Sot needs to get the next shot after Pettis...he's legit and is undefeated in the UFC! Maybe G-Sot vs, Pettis for the #1 contender next

kallousklown
kallousklown
  • Predictions:  24,203  |  62.6%
  • Forum Posts:  10,967
  • Post Score: 177

02.25.2011 | 10:15 PM ET

id rather se g- spot vs Jim Miller

"Are we gonna jump, or we just gonna jerk each other off?"

TacomaTerror
TacomaTerror

02.25.2011 | 10:30 PM ET

If Pettis wins he gets a title shot.

And I'd rather see Melvin vs G-Sot just because it would be a contrast of styles.

" ."All praise is to Allah, I'll fight any man, any animal, if Jesus were here I'd fight him too." "

SoccerKick
SoccerKick

02.25.2011 | 10:46 PM ET

I agree if Pettis wins his fight he gets his shot...G-Sot needs this fight against Siver who I feel is a step down from his last 3 opponents and then another fight which would put him on a 10 fight win streak before a title shot

TacomaTerror
TacomaTerror

02.25.2011 | 11:00 PM ET

Yeah, no way the UFC puts him ont he shelf to wait for a shot at the title. Really, if I were the UFC I would try to put him up against a strong wrestler like Sherk to get him prepared for either Maynard/Edgar

lilspyder
lilspyder

02.26.2011 | 5:23 AM ET

Well that's why G-Sot vs Melvin Guillard would be the best scenario for G-Sot to prepare because he would be facing a wrestler in Guillard as well as a strong striker in the slim chance that Pettis beats Guida and Edgar/Maynard

jerry5
jerry5
  • Predictions:  1,893  |  56.2%
  • Forum Posts:  179
  • Post Score: 81

02.26.2011 | 5:30 AM ET

Tacomaterror hit the nail on the head. G-Sot will probably fight Guillard and the winner will get the title shot after the winner of Pettis and Guida, after Edgar v. Maynard III. Lightweight division is probably the most stacked with talent right now and the title is really open for a lot of people to take. It's pretty exciting

"The young grow old, our pain and toys get bigger"

lilspyder
lilspyder

02.27.2011 | 2:07 PM ET

well it's all for naught now thanks to dennis siver, how many more fights do you think he needs now that he's taken out G-Sot?

LynxGuy
LynxGuy

02.27.2011 | 2:13 PM ET

I'm so happy it was Dennis Siver who stole G-Sot's thunder.  I'd say he's a win away from a well deserved title shot.  I wouldn't mind seeing Siver fight the winner of Miller/Shalorus for the next title shot after the winner of Pettis/Guida.

lilspyder
lilspyder

02.27.2011 | 2:26 PM ET

Maybe I haven't watched Siver's fights enough to know what's going on but why did you like him over G-Sot?

LynxGuy
LynxGuy

02.27.2011 | 2:40 PM ET

Depends what you mean by like.  I really thought G-Sot would submit Siver, but I definitely prefer to watch and cheer for Dennis Siver.  The guy's a very exciting fighter to watch and is one of the few MMA fighters in the world who can actually effectively use spinning back kicks.  I've never really been a fan of G-Sot.  I wanted Joe Daddy to beat him and wanted Joe Lauzon to beat him as well.  Bit of a fan of Joe Lauzon though.  Anyway since I saw Dennis Siver spinning back kick Paul Kelly at UFC 105 I've been a fan of his.  He's just awesome.

lilspyder
lilspyder

02.27.2011 | 5:17 PM ET

I will give you that. The spinning back kick is such an amazing move because it looks so cool. Also he was right when he said if it lands correctly it will stop the fight because he aims it at the liver. Now having said this I'm a jiu jitsu guy myself. Love the intracacies of the ground game, add that to the fact that he was on a 7 fight win streak in the ufc and yeah can't blame me for cheering him on

You must be signed in to reply. Sign in or register to join the discussion.

As an anonymous reader, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

• MMA Mania : Bare Knuckle Bonanza! BYB Acquires UK-Based BKB
  • Jits Magazine : IBJJF San Jose Spring Open 2024 Produces Entertaining Highlights
  • Jits Magazine : 20 BJJ Basics, Concepts And Philosophy You Must Know
  • Bad Left Hook : Charlo finally stripped of WBC middleweight title, Adames elevated
  • MMA Mania : Midnight Mania! Dana White Busts FedEX Driver In NYC
  • Middle Easy : Colby Covington Denies Receiving Contract Offer for Ian Garry Fight: ‘He’s Trying to Get Clickbait’
  • Middle Easy : Sean O’Malley Paid More in Taxes Than He Made From Fighting in the UFC Last Year
  • MMA Junkie : USA TODAY Sports/MMA Junkie rankings, May 7: Jose Aldo returns to top 10
  • Middle Easy : Daniel Cormier Details Impromptu Wrestling Match with Alex Pereira, Weighs in on Potential Fight Between ‘Poatan’ and Jon Jones
  • MMA Junkie : Nate Diaz vs. Jorge Masvidal 2 shifted to July 6, avoids UFC 302 conflict
  • MMA Junkie : Report: Jermall Charlo arrested for DWI after crashing car
  • MMA Mania : Masvidal-Diaz 2 Delayed To Avoid Scheduling Conflict
  • MMA Junkie : Colby Covington denies contract offer for Ian Machado Garry: 'This fight has not been presented'
  • MMA Mania : Sticking Around! ‘This Is The Best I’ve Felt’
  • Bad Left Hook : ‘It’s only a few pounds north’: Vergil Hunter talks possibility of Naoya Inoue taking on Gervonta Davis
  • Bad Left Hook : ‘It’s only a few pounds north’: Vergil Hunter talks possibility of Inoue facing Tank
  • MMA Junkie : Saudi Arabia announces extended partnership with UFC, including pay-per-view sponsorship
  • MMAFighting.com : UFC 303: McGregor vs. Chandler adds undefeated prospect to lineup
  • MMA Mania : ‘What I’m Going To Do To McGregor Is Going To Warrant’ Retirement
  • MMA Junkie : Chael Sonnen makes case for Jose Aldo title shot after UFC 301