Topic: Gerald Harris

Messed up business

Anonymous Mode

You are not logged in to Tapology. When browsing anonymously, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

lilspyder
lilspyder
  • Predictions:  32,913  |  62.1%
  • Forum Posts:  288
  • Post Score: 100

02.22.2011 | 10:09 AM ET

So the ufc says that it is a business that will always keep exciting fighter's around. This is very evident of a fighter like clay guida, and the like. Now, can someone explain to me why this did not translate for Gerald Harris?! He had a record of 3-1 in the octagon and they cut him! All of those wins came by KO/TKO and two of those wins won knockout of the night bonuses. He had one boring fight, and it was a very lackluster fight, but does that mean he should be cut based on that one performance?

"Never Give Up! These violent delights have violent ends. Amat victoria paratum"

Gerald "Hurricane" Harris

Photo Source:  

Fighter Details

• Name: Gerald Harris
  • Pro MMA Record: 26-8-1 (Win-Loss-Draw)
  • Nickname: Hurricane
  • Current Streak: 1 Win
  • Last Fight: November 23, 2019 in C3
  • Weight Class: Middleweight | Last Weigh-In: 185.5 lbs
  • Affiliation: Ghost Dog Boxing
  • Height: 5'11" (181cm) | Reach: 77.5" (197cm)
  • Career Disclosed Earnings: $182,000 USD
  • Born: Tulsa, Oklahoma, United States
  • Fighting out of: Tulsa, Oklahoma
  • Fighter Links:
  • Personal Links:

Responses

GutturalReef
GutturalReef
  • Predictions:  386  |  56.5%
  • Forum Posts:  105
  • Post Score: 39

02.22.2011 | 10:14 AM ET

....and Matt Brown loses THREE in a row to submissions, but he's still on the roster?!

"If people ain't hatin', you doin' somethin' wrong...."

bklettke
bklettke
  • Predictions:  2,109  |  64.7%
  • Forum Posts:  1,761
  • Post Score: 117

02.22.2011 | 10:21 AM ET

I agree with you @lilspyder - it's an ironic statement to have Anderson Silva perform some sort of zombie dance in round 3 against Maia, but this is also a hard comparison being he's the champion and to cut a champion, let alone the best fighter on the planet, is unheard of. I also disagree with the Gerald Harris cut, Falcao should've gone right out the door with him if that's the case. This was the guys first fight in the Octagon and he chose not to perform that night. Give Gerald the Benefit of the doubt with his KO of the night awards and another shot at the very least. A good next opponent for him would have been Sakara. I hope he gets back into the UFC and proves them wrong.
lilspyder
lilspyder

02.22.2011 | 11:42 AM ET

Yeah my point exactly bk! I wanted to mention Anderson, but I do love him s a fighter, although he does have some horrible fights, but because he is the champ, and he does keep winning it's the reason why he's still there of course. But I mean he gives you one highlight reel kick and boom Anderson's back! Now I think that should be given to other fighter's too, especially if they've shown that they can perform, like Gerald has. I hope he get's back into the UFC very soon and just dominates. To GutturaReef I don't know how Matt Brown is still in the ufc either, I mean he is a great and exciting fighter but three losses are three losses. Matt and Gerald should switch places in my opinion

"Never Give Up! These violent delights have violent ends. Amat victoria paratum"

Elkisland
Elkisland
  • Predictions:  213  |  64.8%
  • Forum Posts:  499
  • Post Score: 132

02.22.2011 | 12:12 PM ET

I was surprised as well. I sat through that horrible fight live unfortunately. Not only was the fight lame but they had the "Timer Gate" mess as well. I'm not sure why he got cut for one performance, but something tells me it was more to do with business than fighting.

"Serious sport is war minus the shooting. "George Orwell""

Gregory
Gregory
  • Predictions:  6,817  |  63.3%
  • Forum Posts:  18,565
  • Post Score: 275

02.22.2011 | 12:25 PM ET

Everyone was surprised about Gerald Harris I think. I was.

Seems like UFC wanted to send a message and Gerald Harris was the unlucky one. That third round sucked - all they did was stare at each other.  UFC must have been mighty pissed.

"I live, I die, I live again."

MikeAWhitney
MikeAWhitney
  • Predictions:  296  |  61.8%
  • Forum Posts:  252
  • Post Score: 50

02.22.2011 | 1:34 PM ET

Yeah I think making an example should have came in the form of cutting tito ortiz. I cant remember the last time he won a fight. Also after Anderson Silvas Fight with Demian Mai, Silva was destroying and dancing around him. People were pissed because he didnt put him away and they were saying if he did that again they would cut him....A champion.
lilspyder
lilspyder

02.22.2011 | 7:47 PM ET

Hmm maybe it was the staredown in the final round? At least anderson danced around. Also I agree with you mike in that they should cut Tito or Anderson if he did that again. Unfortunately Tito is too popular, and Anderson is the champ. But maybe they will cut Tito now because he hurt himself, yet again, before his fight so he can't fight at the fight night. Thankfully Mr. Wonderful has stepped up and this is one guy I hope they don't cut because of one bad fight (which won't happen because he has yet to lose).

Gregory
Gregory

02.22.2011 | 8:07 PM ET

If it was Phil Davis who did it against Falcao, they wouldn't have cut him like they did Gerald Harris.

Might be unfair but that's the way it goes.  Phil Davis they look at as a great talent and possible big star.  Gerald Harris had the slam KO, but the fact is he's not a Phil Davis-level talent and as a result they are willing to cut him to send a message.

bklettke
bklettke
  • Predictions:  2,109  |  64.7%
  • Forum Posts:  1,761
  • Post Score: 117

02.23.2011 | 4:07 AM ET

It's unfortunate and i hope Falcao comes out and performs to his potential - i looked at his record and almost every win has been by KO/TKO. Anderson was a terrible comparison for me to try and base this discussion on. I think the largest part of the decision was the fact that it was on the main card.
lilspyder
lilspyder

02.23.2011 | 5:22 AM ET

Gregory I can't agree more. If they believe that you have a great potential they definitely won't cut you for one bad performance. I mean Harris did have the slam but Davis is a NCAA wrestling champion who looks like he has the potential to get the belt. Saying this I believe that they are grooming Davis to fight Jones, if Jones can keep the belt and Davis can keep winning. This would be an amazing fight in my opinion.

caymanfighter
caymanfighter
  • Predictions:  43  |  55.8%
  • Forum Posts:  54
  • Post Score: 80

02.23.2011 | 6:31 AM ET

@ lilspyder you do realize Jones has a very big order in front of him in Shogun? Jones hasn't won the belt yet to keep it. I am overly impressed with Jones but he hasn't had a break and is facing the champion. Wouldn't quite set up that Jones vs Davis fight just yet, way to many good fighters at 205. After the "black on black crime" left a bad taste in some peoples mouth after the Rampage vs Evans fight, I don't think the UFC is in a hurry to book two of its more popular rising African American starts against each other. African American and Hispanic males are the demographic that still prefer boxing over MMA and the UFC has gone to great strides to win them over. Look at the push they have given such fighters such as Cain Velasquez, Rampage, Reshad, Miguel Torres (WEC days) even Tito Ortiz. I see them pushing both fighters until they meet for a title or until they both clean out the division.

That being said its a shame what they did to Gerald Harris considering he could have been one of the fighters they pushed to reach these demographics. He has to potential to be a contender and its a shame to see him cut because of one bad performance. That being said Harris was cut at a time when the UFC was doing some spring cleaning. Although I'm not the biggest fan of his Todd Duffee got pretty much the same treatment as Harris. He was undefeated and had the fastest knockout in UFC history and is still young. There was various reports from the media and even fighters stated that some of the cuts the UFC made were because guys weren't "team players". If fighters try to handpick their opponents, are overly protected by management, have sponsorship issues, don't want to participate in media or fan events or are just general difficult to work with they UFC now has such a stacked roster these "problem" fighters are sent on their way. Being a successful fighter in the UFC now doesn't mean you just have to have skills but a personality will take you a long way as well.
Kokid951
Kokid951
  • Predictions:  667  |  58.6%
  • Forum Posts:  540
  • Post Score: 213

02.23.2011 | 12:58 PM ET

they can say what they want but in all high level sports there is always some politics and favorites and i think because of that Harris was cut. They will keep and cut most guys that get two loses in a row but then sometimes will cut guys they simply dont care for

"dont mistake kindness for weakness"

MikeAWhitney
MikeAWhitney
  • Predictions:  296  |  61.8%
  • Forum Posts:  252
  • Post Score: 50

02.23.2011 | 1:15 PM ET

Popularity shouldnt be something that keeps a fighter around like tito. If anything hes a good hypeman outside of  the ring. Look at Kimbo Slice he was popular for his street brawling he gets in the octagon with Houston Alexander and gets a good win but after that he loses to Matt Matrione still has hype behind him he gets cut. Tito Loses 4 Fights in a row and is still granted a 5th Fight even though hes popular doesnt make sense. And as for Phil Davis I doubt theyd cut him unless he would pull a stunt in which would insure grounds of needing to be cut. Other than that the ufc is a business if you have guys doing stupid **** outside and inside the octagon and that could tarnish there rep and could hurt there chances in getting them into states such as NY then by all means I support them.
lilspyder
lilspyder

02.23.2011 | 6:36 PM ET

To caymanfighter, good point about the black on black crime. And I know it would be  very tall order for the two of them to meet in a title fight. What about a more realistic regular fight? or is that going back to the black on black crime and them not allowing this to happen for a while? Finally as I understood it Tom Duffee was pretty crappy outside of the ring and would often argue with the UFC brass and his own management which led to his dismissal. Kimbo was not Dana's favourite man ever even though he was such a popular character and ws a pretty good guy outside of the ring. I think Dana had him as a fall guy and was just waiting for him to lose so he could kick him out. Now I never knew if Gerald was such a unruly character or not.

BonesJones
BonesJones
  • Predictions:  120  |  59.2%
  • Forum Posts:  49
  • Post Score: 92

02.23.2011 | 6:40 PM ET

@Gregory I see where you're coming from, but the slam KO was dope, and there are a lot of bigger dusters kicking around the UFC.  He was 3-1 at the time he was cut, l think he should have been given another chance. 

"People are like snowflakes, unique, just like the rest."

Gregory
Gregory

02.23.2011 | 6:43 PM ET

BonesJones I agree w/ you.  He didn't deserve it... he was in the wrong place at the wrong time.

Excellent avatar BTW.

TacomaTerror
TacomaTerror
  • Predictions:  149  |  60.4%
  • Forum Posts:  480
  • Post Score: 59

02.23.2011 | 6:46 PM ET

Strikeforce sure is going to like this guy.

Lol, I have no source.. simply saying it is a prediction!

" ."All praise is to Allah, I'll fight any man, any animal, if Jesus were here I'd fight him too." "

kallousklown
kallousklown
  • Predictions:  24,203  |  62.6%
  • Forum Posts:  10,967
  • Post Score: 177

02.23.2011 | 6:53 PM ET

i wonder how long he'll fight for TPF before he moves on to Strikeforce or Bellator.

"Are we gonna jump, or we just gonna jerk each other off?"

lilspyder
lilspyder

02.23.2011 | 7:34 PM ET

I think it depends on who approaches him first. I think whichever one courts first picks him up. I'm surprised that neither of these companies jumped at a chance to pick him up soon as they heard about him

lilspyder
lilspyder

02.23.2011 | 7:35 PM ET

He may even be picked back up by the ufc if he performs really well in his next couple of fights.

You must be signed in to reply. Sign in or register to join the discussion.

As an anonymous reader, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

• Bad Left Hook : ‘People die, this isn’t a joking matter’: Devin Haney on Garcia’s failed drug test
  • MMA Mania : Midnight Mania: People Die In This Sport
  • Middle Easy : Ryan Garcia Tests Positive for Banned Substance Ahead of Haney Fight, Denies Any Wrongdoing
  • MMA Mania : Cursed? Not Even Poatan Could Save UFC 301
  • MMA Junkie : MMA Junkie's Submission of the Month for April: One former UFC champ makes another tap for the first time
  • MMA Mania : ‘Big Lies!’ Garcia Reportedly Tests Positive For PEDs, Boxer Responds
  • MMA Junkie : Paul Hughes explains choosing PFL over UFC offer: 'I deserve to get compensated'
  • MMAFighting.com : Ryan Garcia tests positive for banned substance in Devin Haney fight, Garcia responds
  • Bad Left Hook : ‘These are people that are trying to attack me’: Garcia claims fake news on positive PED report
  • MMAFighting.com : No Bets Barred: Will Jose Aldo and Alexandre Pantoja give Brazil something to cheer about at UFC 301?
  • MMA Junkie : Reports: Ryan Garcia tested positive for PEDs in upset win over Devin Haney
  • Bad Left Hook : Report: Ryan Garcia tests positive for banned PED
  • MMA Mania : Topuria Denies Refusal Of Volk, Holloway Responds To ‘B—ching Motherf—ker’
  • MMA Junkie : UFC 301's Steve Erceg aware of unusual title shot opportunity, still feels pressure to win
  • MMAFighting.com : UFC 301 fight card: Pantoja vs. Erceg
  • UFC.com : UFC Championship Fights That Have Happened In Rio de Janeiro
  • MMAFighting.com : Alex Pereira takes down Daniel Cormier in UFC 301 hallway tussle
  • MMA Junkie : Video: Alex Pereira forces Daniel Cormier to plead for help with takedown: 'Stop this guy'
  • Middle Easy : Canelo Alvarez and Oscar De La Hoya Nearly Throw Hands in Heated Press Conference Confrontation
  • MMAFighting.com : UFC 301 Embedded, episode 3: ‘I could fight right now’