Tapology Forums

Demian Maia to WelterWeight?

Anonymous Mode

You are not logged in to Tapology. When browsing anonymously, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

Bill Burgess
Bill Burgess
  • Predictions:  301  |  69.1%
  • Forum Posts:  5,093
  • Post Score: 47

03.07.2012 | 12:38 PM ET

http://tatame.com/2012/03/01/Demian-Maia-says-moving-to-welterweight-is-a-possibility

If he moves down, that will make the Deepest Shark Tank even deeper.  With guys like Matt Hughes and BJ Penn phasing out, Chris Lytle retired and Matt Serra probably not going to fight anymore, the WW would be strengthened.  

The WWs have great wrestlers like GSP, Fitch, Koscheck & Hendricks and the arrival of a great Ju-jitsu master would make the division even more stacked.  The division does have good BJJ guys like Nick Diaz and Jake Shields.  Jake Ellenberger is supposed to have great wrestling, too.  

It goes without saying that most of the fighters have credible ground games, most having competed in HS and college wrestling.  But not all ground games are created equal.  There are degrees of mastership.

If Demian ever did drop to WW, I think a fight with Jake Shields would be an entertaining battle.  Who would be a better match?

* Edited at 03.07.2012, 12:40 PM ET *

"Love God, live with honor, keep your agreements."

Responses

wolfmanhowl
wolfmanhowl

03.07.2012 | 12:45 PM ET

maia to WW. i like it. the MW division will be weaker. wiedman future MW champion of the UFC.
skeet2b
skeet2b
  • Predictions:  8,330  |  61.8%
  • Forum Posts:  1,703
  • Post Score: 158

03.07.2012 | 12:50 PM ET

I really dont think it is a good idea for him, Maia is a big name and will only be fighting top guys at WW, I think he is better off fighting at MW where he could stay top 5

"A true champion, face to face with his darkest hour, will do whatever it takes to rise above. A man fights, and fights, and then fights some more. Because surrender is death, and death is for *******"

AnAlias
AnAlias
  • Predictions:  7,913  |  63.4%
  • Forum Posts:  8,737
  • Post Score: 246

03.07.2012 | 12:53 PM ET

I'm on the fence with this.  Maia didn't seem like he was getting out muscled at 185.  I don't think dropping 15 pounds will make him better at setting up his takedowns with strikes.
jaffacakehero
jaffacakehero
  • Predictions:  5,066  |  62.0%
  • Forum Posts:  5,396
  • Post Score: 240

03.07.2012 | 12:57 PM ET

I said he should do this after he lost to Munoz! I definitely think it would be a good move to at least test the waters at 170.....

"If you're matched up against me, you better be prepared to give your life...because I am prepared to take it. - Conor McGregor"

Brazilian Jitz
Brazilian Jitz
  • Predictions:  3,516  |  61.3%
  • Forum Posts:  6,816
  • Post Score: 211

03.07.2012 | 12:58 PM ET

I love Maia, one of my favorites. I really hope he can get things back on track.

"Albert Fish... I mean that guy was a real jerk!"

Bill Burgess
Bill Burgess

03.07.2012 | 1:02 PM ET

One of the most baffling things to me is why in his last loss to Chris Weidman, Demian Maia, one of the acknowledged masters of BJJ, never once tried to shoot for a take-down or bring the fight to the ground.

Can anyone explain that to me?  As if I were 10 years old?

thefreeman
thefreeman
  • Predictions:  9,508  |  59.9%
  • Forum Posts:  1,752
  • Post Score: 198

03.07.2012 | 1:06 PM ET

I worry about hius cardio at 185 I don't know if an even bigger cut is going to help
jaffacakehero
jaffacakehero

03.07.2012 | 1:14 PM ET

@Bill Weidman is big strong 2 time NCAA all American wrestler man! Maia isn't....... That's my simplified explanation! haha

But yes,he should have at least attempted a TD even though it would have been more pointless than Bigfoot trying to take down Cormier!

"If you're matched up against me, you better be prepared to give your life...because I am prepared to take it. - Conor McGregor"

Russello
Russello
  • Predictions:  6,288  |  63.0%
  • Forum Posts:  2,839
  • Post Score: 279

03.07.2012 | 1:18 PM ET

@Bill, Because after evolving his stand up to a decent level, he now neglects his world class ground game. Same with Koscheck at times

"In the quiet words of the virgin Mary.. come again?"

Bill Burgess
Bill Burgess

03.07.2012 | 1:40 PM ET

But is that judicious or prudent?  Without his strongest offensive tool, he was reduced from a world-class fighter to an average striker.  Sounds like bad medicine to me.

AnAlias
AnAlias
  • Predictions:  7,913  |  63.4%
  • Forum Posts:  8,737
  • Post Score: 246

03.07.2012 | 1:42 PM ET

Yeah, Maia definitely ****** up. He was better as a one trick pony than he is as a well rounded fighter.

A Demian Maia that's trying to pull guard, is much scarier than a Demian Maia trying to punch you in the face.
Aeterna
Aeterna
  • Predictions:  395  |  68.1%
  • Forum Posts:  100
  • Post Score: 510

03.07.2012 | 1:42 PM ET

Demian should stop focusing on his mediocre standup and start choking people out again! His jiu-jiutsu is INCREDIBLE. This is a man who won his first five UFC fights ALL via Submission. He's amazing, he should start pulling guard more. He's gotta get his head straight.

p.s. @ jaffacakehero  If Maia can take down Chael Sonnen and submit him, I'd say he would have a pretty good chance of taking down Weidman if he actually tried.

* Edited at 03.07.2012, 1:47 PM ET *

"It ain't about what you know, it's what you feel. Don't worry bout bein' right, just be for real."

Brazilian Jitz
Brazilian Jitz
  • Predictions:  3,516  |  61.3%
  • Forum Posts:  6,816
  • Post Score: 211

03.07.2012 | 1:44 PM ET

@Bill it was definitely judicious. He thought after the Silva fight the only way he could get better and win the title was to evolve his striking. So, yes, although at inception it was judicious, in hindsight it does seem prudent. He completely focused on his stand up and never goes to his bread and butter. 

"Albert Fish... I mean that guy was a real jerk!"

jaffacakehero
jaffacakehero

03.07.2012 | 2:07 PM ET

@Aeterna Even if Maia took Weidman down,he wouldn't be able to submit him before he scrambled back to the feet.....

legacyofmisfortune
legacyofmisfortune
  • Predictions:  14,159  |  63.5%
  • Forum Posts:  5,349

03.07.2012 | 2:54 PM ET

@Bill  Demian said in  an interview that he was working in his striking, and wanted to prove (himself, and the audience) that he has better stand up and he doesn´t depend on his BJJ alone anymore, well he proved himself wrong. I think it´s great that he is evolving, and he will get better results for sure, but doing it for the first time against a strong opponent as Weidman it´s not a smart move. after all the aim should be to be  well rounded, and not  to become a striker.

"he is going to the hospital, and im going to the after party, ha ha ha" Nate Diaz

Bill Burgess
Bill Burgess

03.07.2012 | 3:43 PM ET

@legacy  I agree.  If his aim was to demonstate well-roundedness, he failed.  He would have been better served to incorporate his new skills into his overall game-plan.  

He reminds me of Koscheck, who now tries to stand and bang and fails to bring the full arsenal.  That is why GSP succeeds.  Whenever he masters a new skill, he incorporates it into his arsenal, but never neglects the kicks, wrestling, etc.  GSP is the strongest case for well-roundedness, along with Anderson Silva and Jon Jones.

minotauro11
minotauro11
  • Predictions:  2,483  |  66.5%
  • Forum Posts:  4,493
  • Post Score: 148

03.07.2012 | 9:03 PM ET

Although I think Maia has the skill and talent to get back to the top of the welterweight division, and eventually take over Anderson's throne when he retires or moves up, welterweight would be great for Maia. Dropping weight isn't always the smartest thing for a fighter coming off a couple losses, but it makes perfect sense here. Welterweight is home to some of the best wrestlers in MMA, those being GSP, Fitch, Koscheck, Ellenberger, Hendricks, Pierce, and so on. Those styles (outside of Hendricks) play perfectly into Maia's game.

We've see Ellenberger threatened and arguably beaten by a strong JJ practitioner in Rocha, and Maia is better than Rocha is on the floor. Fitch and Kos can be outstruck. Pierce won't be able to deal with that high level ground game. GSP (and this is a stretch) has shown to have troubles with guys he doesn't want to go to the mat with. Shields stole two rounds from him, and he has the worst striking in MMA. 

I don't know if Maia could be champ down there, but welterweight certainly opens up a lot of options for him. Having less of a size/strength disadvantage should help with his takedowns too. Obviously I'm really excited about it. 

"We Are All One"

MikeLovesTacos XD
MikeLovesTacos XD
  • Predictions:  30,422  |  59.3%
  • Forum Posts:  22,488
  • Post Score: 203

03.07.2012 | 9:07 PM ET

Maia has no chance to be successful at MW or WW unless he goes back to what he is the best at. His Jiu Jitsu, Im not saying he needs to use ground game the whole fight. But he isnt doing well by standing for 15 minutes. I think he could be great if he mixed up his TD's and subs with his striking. He needs to go back to his roots!

"Why are you booing me? I am the GOAT. **** you." - Patricio "Pitbull" Freire

yorma
yorma
  • Predictions:  30,212  |  62.3%
  • Forum Posts:  3,462
  • Post Score: 292

03.07.2012 | 9:10 PM ET

Maia since Chael's sub.. :((

Dont believe in him anymore even if i respect a lot his BJJ..

"And whats up with y'all, Looking at me like a monkey, You !?! Yeah right, You're all saints, You !! Bunch of macaques !! Gimme a baby monkey, He'll be .. Wonderfull"

Anik
Anik
  • Predictions:  6,592  |  62.5%
  • Forum Posts:  17,508
  • Post Score: 160

03.07.2012 | 9:29 PM ET

GSP is not only the strongest case for most well-rounded, he is the DEFINITION of well-rounded. Jones has sloppy standup and Anderson has average wrestling. GSP's elite at everything.

And K1 Maia sucks, he REALLY wants to prove people wrong. Koscheck at least has power, Maia's got not much. His standup looked great against Munoz but he was exposed vs. Weidman.

"الله أكبرl"

You must be signed in to reply. Sign in or register to join the discussion.

As an anonymous reader, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

• MMA Junkie : Video: Ex-UFC heavyweight Greg Hardy goes limp into ropes in KO loss
  • MMA Mania : Midnight Mania: ‘Ruthless’ In BKFC?
  • MMA Junkie : Full fight video: Jon Jones puts Lyoto Machida out cold at UFC 140
  • Bad Left Hook : IBF orders Cacace to face mandatory challenger Nunez
  • MMA Mania : ‘It’s Hard To Deny The Activity’
  • MMA Junkie : Belal Muhammad vows to 'do everyone a favor' and dethrone 'coward' Leon Edwards at UFC 304
  • MMA Mania : ‘I Want To Fight With Pantoja!’
  • MMA Junkie : Video: Paige VanZant, Elle Brooke face off at MF & DAZN: X Series 15 press conference
  • MMAFighting.com : Logan Paul reveals he filed lawsuit against Ryan Garcia over Prime Hydration
  • Middle Easy : Henry Cejudo Expects ‘Long Haul’ Before UFC Title Fight, Why That Starts With Rob Font
  • MMA Junkie : Ben Askren convinced Conor McGregor is jealous of Khabib Nurmagomedov: 'No money can make up for that'
  • MMA Mania : Watch BROADENED HORIZIN — Feat. Horiguchi And Pettis
  • MMAFighting.com : Oleksandr Usyk set to portray PRIDE legend alongside ‘The Rock’ in Mark Kerr biopic
  • Middle Easy : Former Champ Jamahal Hill Draws New Opponent In UFC 303 Co-Main Event
  • MMA Junkie : Video reaction: What does Gegard Mousasi's Bellator release say about state of PFL merger?
  • Bad Left Hook : ‘Expect something serious’: Haneys react to Ryan Garcia’s positive B-sample results
  • MMAFighting.com : Devin Haney reacts to Ryan Garcia positive B-sample drug test, takes aim at Oscar De La Hoya
  • MMA Junkie : Tom Aspinall: Curtis Blaydes rematch at UFC 304 is a 'lose-lose' because he's 'not that popular'
  • MMA Mania : Mousasi Released From PFL Amid Contract Dispute
  • MMA Junkie : Manel Kape ready to shut down Muhammad Mokaev at UFC 304: 'Everything I do is a masterclass'