Tapology Forums

Demian Maia to WelterWeight?

Anonymous Mode

You are not logged in to Tapology. When browsing anonymously, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

Bill Burgess
Bill Burgess
  • Predictions:  301  |  69.1%
  • Forum Posts:  5,093
  • Post Score: 47

03.07.2012 | 12:38 PM ET

http://tatame.com/2012/03/01/Demian-Maia-says-moving-to-welterweight-is-a-possibility

If he moves down, that will make the Deepest Shark Tank even deeper.  With guys like Matt Hughes and BJ Penn phasing out, Chris Lytle retired and Matt Serra probably not going to fight anymore, the WW would be strengthened.  

The WWs have great wrestlers like GSP, Fitch, Koscheck & Hendricks and the arrival of a great Ju-jitsu master would make the division even more stacked.  The division does have good BJJ guys like Nick Diaz and Jake Shields.  Jake Ellenberger is supposed to have great wrestling, too.  

It goes without saying that most of the fighters have credible ground games, most having competed in HS and college wrestling.  But not all ground games are created equal.  There are degrees of mastership.

If Demian ever did drop to WW, I think a fight with Jake Shields would be an entertaining battle.  Who would be a better match?

* Edited at 03.07.2012, 12:40 PM ET *

"Love God, live with honor, keep your agreements."

Responses Page 2

ProdigyKid14
ProdigyKid14
  • Predictions:  8,848  |  62.4%
  • Forum Posts:  5,902
  • Post Score: 195

03.07.2012 | 9:35 PM ET

He needs to stop trying to be a kickboxer, seriously. I think he was trying to get up against Weidman. I never ever thought I'd see Maia trying to get back to his feet in a fight.

"I fight em all. Men, women, children, ******** people, it doesn't matter. If you hit me, we're gonna fight. -Charles Bennett"

yorma
yorma
  • Predictions:  30,224  |  62.3%
  • Forum Posts:  3,462
  • Post Score: 292

03.07.2012 | 9:37 PM ET

Right..

"And whats up with y'all, Looking at me like a monkey, You !?! Yeah right, You're all saints, You !! Bunch of macaques !! Gimme a baby monkey, He'll be .. Wonderfull"

Anik
Anik
  • Predictions:  6,592  |  62.5%
  • Forum Posts:  17,508
  • Post Score: 160

03.07.2012 | 9:41 PM ET

@ProdigyKid14 Ya that was some ******** ****. Maia scrambling to get up? Holy ****.

"الله أكبرl"

ProdigyKid14
ProdigyKid14
  • Predictions:  8,848  |  62.4%
  • Forum Posts:  5,902
  • Post Score: 195

03.07.2012 | 9:48 PM ET

It made me very, very sad. I no like K1 Maia

"I fight em all. Men, women, children, ******** people, it doesn't matter. If you hit me, we're gonna fight. -Charles Bennett"

minotauro11
minotauro11
  • Predictions:  2,483  |  66.5%
  • Forum Posts:  4,493
  • Post Score: 148

03.07.2012 | 9:55 PM ET

People love to hate people who make excuses, but Maia was definitely sick in the Weidman fight. Maia never even mentioned it himself, so it isn't really an excuse. I'm not saying he would have beat him, Weidman obviously had that huge weight cut, but Maia's cardio was gone 3 minutes into the fight. Being the classy guy he is and not pulling out of the fight, he knew he was going to have those issues and he had to end it quick, hence the telegraphed haymakers. His striking is better than he showed in that fight. Still, it isn't anything special. Hopefully, Maia will be a man and pull guard on his next opponent, we all know that's where he's best. I'm really excited to see his next fight and to see where he goes after that loss. 

"We Are All One"

RWLawman
RWLawman
  • Predictions:  2,583  |  63.1%
  • Forum Posts:  2,053
  • Post Score: 173

03.07.2012 | 10:07 PM ET

Having just recently read The Fighter's Mind, the talk of excuses kinda reminds me of a section from that book that really changed the way I think about excuses from pro fighters.  It was talked about that a competitor pretty much needs to make an excuse, no matter how small, to keep going.  If an athlete in a sport so competitive as fighting were to simply accept the fact that his opponent was better than him, it would be difficult to stay motivated to keep fighting.  You need to make some type of excuse to get back in there and try it again, to feel like the result might be different the next time around.

That's not to say that these guys aren't going to train their ass off to ensure they perform better, outside of whatever excuse they come up with, but it's a sort of medicine for their psyche.  Honestly, while I don't agree 100% with it, I think there is some truth and wisdom to it.  I reflect on my MMA debut, and can honestly say I feel like my nerves and missed overhand right ultimately led to my demise in that contest.  That doesn't mean that I'm not going to train my ass off to make sure that I'm a killing machine when I step foot back in that cage, but to avoid a deep depression, you kinda need to make some sort of excuse.  I'm not taking anything away from my opponent, he capitalized on my mistakes, and that's his job.  But, I went down the road of trying to say he was just better, and all that did was lead me into the dark.

Maia clearly was not 100% in his last fight.  Now, whether he was sick or not, who really knows for sure besides he himself, and maybe some people close to him?  However, I bet he trains is butt off and comes back better, regardless.  For now, I understand and "accept" his excuse.

Oh yeah, I almost forgot I'm supposed to get thumbs down from now on so.....:

Nick Diaz sucks!

* Edited at 03.07.2012, 10:08 PM ET *

" "Out of suffering have emerged the strongest souls; the most massive characters are seared with scars." - Khalil Gibran "

minotauro11
minotauro11
  • Predictions:  2,483  |  66.5%
  • Forum Posts:  4,493
  • Post Score: 148

03.07.2012 | 10:09 PM ET

Great post. +1

"We Are All One"

thinklikeafox
thinklikeafox
  • Predictions:  70  |  58.6%
  • Forum Posts:  10
  • Post Score: 150

03.07.2012 | 10:55 PM ET

I don't think Maia needs to move down in weight. I think a weight cut is a conclusion too many fighters jump to when they hit a wall in their career. There is sometimes a reluctance to acknowledge that your game is lacking and the only solution is a serious self examination of your training. If you look at Maia's losses, he losses when he is unable or unwilling to implement his BJJ. That has to do with his weak takedowns, not his size.

If anything, WW would probably be a harder division for Maia. There are more wrestlers at WW than any other division, and they would be faster than him. Maia needs to change his tactics, not change his competition.

"I do not beleive in styles anymore. Styles keep us serperate, when we must be united together." -Bruce Lee

Bill Burgess
Bill Burgess

03.08.2012 | 11:07 AM ET

If Demian moves to WW, I suggest Jake Shields as the most suitable candidate for his first match.  

Any thoughts?

AnAlias
AnAlias
  • Predictions:  7,925  |  63.4%
  • Forum Posts:  8,737
  • Post Score: 246

03.08.2012 | 11:09 AM ET

I fear Shields vs Maia might end up being the worst kickboxing match of all time.
yorma
yorma

03.08.2012 | 11:12 AM ET

Shields vs maia greatest K1 fight ever i agree!! lool

"And whats up with y'all, Looking at me like a monkey, You !?! Yeah right, You're all saints, You !! Bunch of macaques !! Gimme a baby monkey, He'll be .. Wonderfull"

poir420
poir420
  • Predictions:  143,346  |  63.0%
  • Forum Posts:  18,232
  • Post Score: 245

03.08.2012 | 11:12 AM ET

If it stayed standing it would probably be the most boring fight of all time....if it goes to the ground it still has a chance to be the most boring fight of all time.

"“All of a sudden, he was shooting for a takedown, and I’m like, ‘Oh, you’re a wrestler now? Remember, I’m the black belt in jiu-jitsu. And you’re shooting on me now? This is a wrap." - Nate Diaz"

Bill Burgess
Bill Burgess

03.08.2012 | 11:13 AM ET

Not if one lost patience and took the fight down.

Bill Burgess
Bill Burgess

03.08.2012 | 11:15 AM ET

I hope the UFC gives Dustin Hazelette a second chance.  His JJ was fun to watch and on an amazing level.  Not on Maia's level but still great.

yorma
yorma

03.08.2012 | 11:17 AM ET

A BJJ guy looks always weak when he cant takedown a guy..

AnAlias
AnAlias
  • Predictions:  7,925  |  63.4%
  • Forum Posts:  8,737
  • Post Score: 246

03.08.2012 | 11:24 AM ET

Aeterna
Aeterna
  • Predictions:  395  |  68.1%
  • Forum Posts:  100
  • Post Score: 510

03.23.2012 | 1:53 PM ET

"It ain't about what you know, it's what you feel. Don't worry bout bein' right, just be for real."

Page 2

You must be signed in to reply. Sign in or register to join the discussion.

As an anonymous reader, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

• UFC.com : Valentina Shevchenko Talks TUF 32 | The Ultimate Fighter: Team Grasso vs Team Shevchenko
  • Middle Easy : Exclusive: Daniel Rodriguez Banking On UFC ‘War’ With Kelvin Gastelum: ‘The Bigger The Name…’
  • MMAFighting.com : Demetrious Johnson fears Michael Chandler ‘might be wasting his time’ waiting for Conor McGregor
  • MMA Junkie : Dana White: 'No comment' on Mike Tyson vs. Jake Paul being rescheduled
  • MMA Mania : Level-Up! Najera Not Rushing Path To UFC
  • UFC.com : Fight By Fight Preview | UFC Louisville
  • Middle Easy : Exclusive: Mayra Bueno Silva Talks Title Loss, Women’s 135, What’s On The Line At UFC 303
  • MMAFighting.com : Watch The MMA Hour with McGregor update, UFC 302 recap, DJ, Alvarez, more
  • MMA Junkie : UFC 302 winner Niko Price: 'I don't plan on retiring until God takes my legs from me'
  • MMAFighting.com : Mailbag: Where does Dustin Poirier rank among the greats to never win an undisputed belt?
  • Bad Left Hook : Skye Nicolson title defense, more set for Ennis vs Crowley card
  • Bad Left Hook : Raymond Ford moving up in weight after featherweight title loss
  • MMA Junkie : Conor McGregor says UFC 303 press conference canceled 'due to a series of obstacles,' issues apology
  • UFC.com : Tony Ramos Sees UFC Gold Potential In Austin O’Connor | UFC FIGHT PASS
  • MMA Mania : McGregor Breaks Silence On Presser No Show
  • MMAFighting.com : Conor McGregor releases statement on last-minute UFC 303 press conference cancellation
  • MMA Junkie : Video: UFC 302 crowd brawl sends fan somersaulting down section after punch to face
  • UFC.com : The Bigger Picture | UFC 302
  • Middle Easy : Trash-Talking Fan at UFC 302 Gets Rocked and Launched Across Multiple Rows During Violent Brawl
  • MMA Junkie : Battery charge against UFC fighter Sedriques Dumas dismissed