Tapology Forums

Does Fedor Deserve a Re-Entry?

Anonymous Mode

You are not logged in to Tapology. When browsing anonymously, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

MikeAWhitney
MikeAWhitney
  • Predictions:  296  |  61.8%
  • Forum Posts:  252
  • Post Score: 50

02.16.2011 | 11:44 PM ET

With Fedors most recent loss to antonio bigfoot silva. There was talk of retirement after his loss. Also Scott Coker talks of Fedor returning if one of the fighters gets hurt during the GP tournament. So my question to you is does he deserve it?

Responses

kallousklown
kallousklown
  • Predictions:  24,203  |  62.6%
  • Forum Posts:  10,967
  • Post Score: 177

02.17.2011 | 12:09 AM ET

hes gotta earn it. as long as he fights loser of werdum- overeem

"Are we gonna jump, or we just gonna jerk each other off?"

DaiKaiju Wicked
DaiKaiju Wicked
  • Predictions:  2,021  |  67.8%
  • Forum Posts:  383
  • Post Score: 149

02.17.2011 | 5:29 AM ET

I hate the idea of someone who loses in a tournament getting re-entry.  This is nothing against Fedor or anyone else, I just think it cheapens the tournament.  If I had my way, if somebody got injured, I would just postpone the fight until the guy got healthy.  But if a guy gets hurt I'd rather have an alternate come in who won a fight to be considered an alternate.  So in this case, even though it seems silly because of the difference in skill, I'd rather have Shane Del Rosario in.  Plus, at this point Strikeforce basically has an alternate bracket.  Del Rosario, V. Overeem, and Chad Griggs are all in.  Have Daniel Cormier fight somebody on the April 9th show, and then you have 4 guys ready to go.  If all 4 of the semi-finalists are healthy for the second round, then have Del Rosario vs. Overeem and Cormier vs. Griggs.  That way the alternates progress just as the main fighters do.  It may just be my weird thing with tournaments, but this is the way I'd rather have it done, instead of Fedor coming in as an alternate.

"I was born as a catholic but the nuns turned me. I was born as a pacifist but the guns turned me. I was born to be a beautiful man, but the ugliness is powerful, I do what I can."

DaiKaiju Wicked
DaiKaiju Wicked

02.17.2011 | 5:33 AM ET

You know, now that I say that, why didn't they do this thing like Pride and have a 16 man bracket?  If you already have all those guys ready to go, you do what Pride did back in the day and put all those alternate guys against the big 8 for the first round.  Imagine if Fedor had been beaten by Daniel Cormier instead of Antonio Silva?  Could've had more opportunities for upsets and craziness (although that may have made it more difficult for them to get the match ups they wanted).

"I was born as a catholic but the nuns turned me. I was born as a pacifist but the guns turned me. I was born to be a beautiful man, but the ugliness is powerful, I do what I can."

Gregory
Gregory
  • Predictions:  6,817  |  63.3%
  • Forum Posts:  18,565
  • Post Score: 275

02.17.2011 | 5:59 AM ET

I don't think anyone deserves to be re-entered into a tournament after getting eliminated from it. What's the point of having a single-elimination tournament if you aren't going to adhere to the basic concept.

"I live, I die, I live again."

DaiKaiju Wicked
DaiKaiju Wicked

02.17.2011 | 6:05 AM ET

@greg: word

SoccerKick
SoccerKick
  • Predictions:  32,055  |  61.8%
  • Forum Posts:  13,504
  • Post Score: 186

02.17.2011 | 6:46 AM ET

@Dai your alternate tournament idea is a great one...They could let those guys continuing fighting and the last one standing gets a shot at the guy who ends up losing in the finals of the main tournament...Would give these guys an opportunity to make a name and become legitimate contenders.

"I'm too old to be run by the fears of dumb people "

TownStar
TownStar
  • Predictions:  944  |  63.1%
  • Forum Posts:  329
  • Post Score: 62

02.17.2011 | 8:21 AM ET

I dont see a problem with Fedor fighting any of the losers, there is still plenty of interesting match ups in that. he doesnt have to be in the tourney anymore to still fight on these upcoming cards.

"fresh outta Oakland..."

LynxGuy
LynxGuy
  • Predictions:  1,054  |  59.7%
  • Forum Posts:  1,120
  • Post Score: 138

02.17.2011 | 8:57 AM ET

As much I still want to see Fedor fighting, I don't think it's fair to have a fighter who's already been eliminated from the tournament still competing while alternates are busy winning fights just to be considered as a replacement.  If Fedor gets put in ahead of someone like Shane Del Rosario I think it would definitely make the tournament look less legit.

"Don't be scared, homie." - Nick Diaz

TheVigilante
TheVigilante
  • Predictions:  566  |  66.8%
  • Forum Posts:  30
  • Post Score: 30

02.17.2011 | 9:04 AM ET

Giving Fedor a free pass back in would destroy the credibility of the GP. If he/M1/Strikeforce want him back in they would be best served to make him earn his way in with a win over one of the other potential alternates.
zerohours
zerohours
  • Predictions:  499  |  60.3%
  • Forum Posts:  180
  • Post Score: 41

02.17.2011 | 9:27 AM ET

As a fan I would hate to see Fedor tossed back in the tournament, a head of the victorious alternates. However from a promotional viewpoint I can completely understand where Croker and Strikeforce are comming from. Fedor was the long time reigning HW king and has consistently been one of the biggest (if not the biggest) names that exists outside of the UFC. Therefore Fedor has more drawing power than a Chad Griggs or Del Rosario or V.Overeem. It will give them more of an oppritunity to make the fights seem appealing to the main stream fans and allow them to build there brand further.

"Even though my spanish is rusty, yo my English is Olde, 40 down, grab yourself an ice cold Colt 45 feelin alive drunk as **** in the daylight ready to die"

Gregory
Gregory
  • Predictions:  6,817  |  63.3%
  • Forum Posts:  18,565
  • Post Score: 275

02.17.2011 | 9:29 AM ET

zerohours speaks the truth

"I live, I die, I live again."

TacomaTerror
TacomaTerror
  • Predictions:  149  |  60.4%
  • Forum Posts:  480
  • Post Score: 59

02.17.2011 | 9:44 AM ET

I see the appeal in it.. people want to know if Fedor is really done or if he has something left.

I agree that from a fighters standpoint it is unfair, but as a fan I would like to see him back in there no offense to some of the alternate winners. I hope that if he does get put back in he makes it competitive and we can see a few more great wars before he retires.

" ."All praise is to Allah, I'll fight any man, any animal, if Jesus were here I'd fight him too." "

TacomaTerror
TacomaTerror
  • Predictions:  149  |  60.4%
  • Forum Posts:  480
  • Post Score: 59

02.17.2011 | 9:50 AM ET

Lol, like the rockie movie kind of.

" ."All praise is to Allah, I'll fight any man, any animal, if Jesus were here I'd fight him too." "

MikeAWhitney
MikeAWhitney
  • Predictions:  296  |  61.8%
  • Forum Posts:  252
  • Post Score: 50

02.17.2011 | 10:08 AM ET

Yeah have him fight an alternate, that can help allow him to get back on the horse if he can actually get back up there. I agree allowing him an immediate reentry would destroy the credibility of the GP.
jeremy
jeremy
  • Predictions:  1,062  |  63.0%
  • Forum Posts:  819
  • Post Score: 168

02.17.2011 | 10:35 AM ET

personally, if fedor returns i'd like to see him do it at 205.  he's a pudgy 230 and could go from being an undersized heavyweight to a HUGE light heavy.

think about the size difference at fight time against silva.  it could have been 50 pounds. that's ridiculous.  that's like frankie edgar fighting shogun.  (not as a percentage of body mass, but in flat weight differential).

fedor isn't getting outclassed, he's getting outsized.

"Damn right I like the life I live / Cause I went from negative to positive."

zerohours
zerohours
  • Predictions:  499  |  60.3%
  • Forum Posts:  180
  • Post Score: 41

02.17.2011 | 10:43 AM ET

@jeremy

Ive often thought about Fedor moving to 205 as well. However i've always believed Fedor's sucess is contributed to his skill set in a heavyweight division that has just recently seen a huge rise in skill level (with the rise of fighters like Valasquez, A.Overeem, JDS,Bigfoot) True he is a small and flabby heavyweight, but hasn't that always been apart of his appeal, I believe that a 205 pound fedor would still be a dominant Fedor, but I could see him still running into probelms at 205 which is such a dense division.

"Even though my spanish is rusty, yo my English is Olde, 40 down, grab yourself an ice cold Colt 45 feelin alive drunk as **** in the daylight ready to die"

ksturdiv
ksturdiv
  • Predictions:  2,225  |  55.9%
  • Forum Posts:  87
  • Post Score: 47

02.17.2011 | 11:09 AM ET

I like seeing Fedor fight but I don't think he should have a pass but with M-1 as a co-promoter they can be forcing Coker's hand in the matter

"Live, Love, Fight"

Piercerdan
Piercerdan
  • Predictions:  22,719  |  61.1%
  • Forum Posts:  5,987
  • Post Score: 212

02.17.2011 | 11:22 AM ET

I think back to fedors arona fight, i also think back before recently the people fedor struggled with were the smaller heavyweights most of whom were 205 guys most of the time.  Fedors skills and surprising strength kept him at the top of the hw ranks because he showed skill does more than size.  Hw has always been the least skilled weight class and now skills are catching up.  Fedor would do well at 205 assuming he didnt lose endurance or strength due to the cut, but hed get beat here and there too.  205 is (and has always been) the most competitive weight class in mma.  Everyone has power to end a night, everyone has decent to excellent grappling and everyone has the strength to power thru a lot of aspects of the ground game and while having the skills on top of that.  Everyone at the top of the 205's has great endurance and durability, which is something fedor wouldnt be used to.  Hes beat a ton of excellent fighters but i think some of his wins are directly attributed to him being faster and more skilled than the "plodding oaf" he was fighting, at 205 that aspect of things would be gone.

"Fact: knowledge or info based on real occurrences, opinion: a belief held with confidence not substantiated by proof."

TownStar
TownStar
  • Predictions:  944  |  63.1%
  • Forum Posts:  329
  • Post Score: 62

02.17.2011 | 11:45 AM ET

What is the actual likely hood of him moving down to 205? I think it is a viable opportunity to shoot some much needed juice into the tail end of his career, but can he make the cut. Not only can he make the cut, but can he do it in way to not leave himself depleted come fight night? He has never had to watch weight or cut in his career before.

"fresh outta Oakland..."

Piercerdan
Piercerdan
  • Predictions:  22,719  |  61.1%
  • Forum Posts:  5,987
  • Post Score: 212

02.17.2011 | 12:32 PM ET

@townstar, i dont think its a matter of can he, its more of a would he.
If he watched what he ate, hired a nutritionist to keep him in line with it, the weight would drop off of him pretty quickly really.  Fedor is in good shape he just has extra fat. 
I think if he got a decent nutritionist, or maybe the dolce diet (hes been doing great lately and the look on dolces face at the vitor silva weighins was awesome!!) and joined a solid camp instead of the wilderness in russia he could still be a top contender.  Really with no changes whatsoever he is still a top heavyweight and would be a favourite against most.  
hope fedor has a great comeback and i hope he changes some things up to see if he can take his career of amazing wins up to a level probably never to be surpassed.

"Fact: knowledge or info based on real occurrences, opinion: a belief held with confidence not substantiated by proof."

You must be signed in to reply. Sign in or register to join the discussion.

As an anonymous reader, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

• Jits Magazine : ADCC Asia And Oceania Trials 2024 Full Results And Review
  • MMAFighting.com : Vasiliy Lomachenko vs. George Kambosos full fight video highlights
  • MMAFighting.com : UFC St. Louis post-fight show: Reaction to Lewis’ big finish, Buckley’s win and McGregor callout
  • Bad Left Hook : Vasiliy Lomachenko stops George Kambosos to win IBF belt
  • MMA Mania : Liver Shot KO! Lomachenko Styles On Kambosos For Masterclass Win
  • MMA Mania : ‘Is This Guy For Real?!?’
  • MMA Junkie : Dana White praises Joaquin Buckley's UFC on ESPN 56 win, but shuts down his Conor McGregor request
  • MMAFighting.com : Watch Lomachenko vs. Kambosos ring announcer completely bungle co-main event fight result
  • MMAFighting.com : Watch ring announcer completely bungle fight result for Lomachenko vs. Kambosos co-main event
  • Bad Left Hook : Lomachenko vs Kambosos: Live updates and results
  • MMA Junkie : UFC 2024 post-fight bonus winners: Inside the numbers
  • MMA Junkie : UFC on ESPN 56 bonuses: 12-second winner is a $50K no-brainer
  • MMAFighting.com : UFC St. Louis bonuses: Trey Waters, Billy Goff take home Fight of the Night following epic war
  • MMA Mania : OUCH! Rebecki Shares Photo Of His Mangled Face
  • MMA Mania : Bonuses! ‘Black Jag’ Banks $50K For 12 Seconds Of Work
  • UFC.com : Bonus Coverage | UFC St. Louis
  • MMAFighting.com : ‘Balls got hot again’: Pros react to Derrick Lewis knocking out Rodrigo Nascimento at UFC St. Louis
  • MMAFighting.com : Derrick Lewis scores vicious knockout, moons crowd at UFC St. Louis 
  • MMA Mania : Hot Balls Highlights! Lewis Delivers Vicious KO Before Mooning Crowd
  • Middle Easy : Derrick Lewis Pulls Off Epic KO, Then His Shorts In Wild Celebration – UFC St. Louis Results (Highlights)