Tapology Forums

Overeems Future

Anonymous Mode

You are not logged in to Tapology. When browsing anonymously, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

MikeAWhitney
MikeAWhitney
  • Predictions:  296  |  61.8%
  • Forum Posts:  252
  • Post Score: 50

02.15.2011 | 9:36 AM ET

Lets say Overeem wins the Strikeforce Grand Prix and Strikeforce goes under and he signs with the UFC. What fight would be best for Alistar for his Debut? 

Responses

Gregory
Gregory
  • Predictions:  6,817  |  63.3%
  • Forum Posts:  18,565
  • Post Score: 275

02.15.2011 | 9:44 AM ET

Lot of "what if's" and I don't think Strikeforce is about to go under anytime soon!

But I think UFC would put him against one of their top-3 guys: Lesnar, Velasquez, Dos Santos.  And if he was Grand Prix champion they would probably just give him a title shot, like they're doing with Jake Shields.

"I live, I die, I live again."

Piercerdan
Piercerdan
  • Predictions:  22,719  |  61.1%
  • Forum Posts:  5,987
  • Post Score: 212

02.15.2011 | 9:45 AM ET

I think an instant title shot would be warranted.  Hes the k1 champ, the strikeforce champ, the strikeforce GP winner, the dream champ.  
When it comes down to it, if (i think when) he wins the gp hes pretty much the be all end all HW currently outside of the ufc.  With the recent fall of fedor hes the one guy that seems to be ruining men.  I would like to see werdum win one after the tourny and get brought back to the ufc as well.

"Fact: knowledge or info based on real occurrences, opinion: a belief held with confidence not substantiated by proof."

bklettke
bklettke
  • Predictions:  2,109  |  64.7%
  • Forum Posts:  1,761
  • Post Score: 117

02.15.2011 | 9:48 AM ET

it's all a dream, but if that dream were to come true, how ******* awesome would it be to add Bigfoot, a motivated Werdum, and of course Alistair Oveerm to that HW division. It'd be the greatest thing since string cheese; you can take that to the bank!
MikeAWhitney
MikeAWhitney

02.15.2011 | 9:50 AM ET

I believe Overeem would match up pretty well with Dos Santos, Matt Matrione, or Frank Mir. I see what you mean about a instant title shot as well gregory but Id like to see if he can stand toes to toe with some of the guys who are ex champs or that are rising to the top.
bklettke
bklettke

02.15.2011 | 10:23 AM ET

Overeem was shown to be suspect to aggressive strikers when he used to fight at LHW - like when he lost to Chuck and Shogun, but a lot has changed since then. Mitrione would get beat because of his experience, Mirs brain would be scrambled worse than Lesnar and Carwin combined, but JDS would be insane.
Piercerdan
Piercerdan
  • Predictions:  22,719  |  61.1%
  • Forum Posts:  5,987
  • Post Score: 212

02.15.2011 | 2:04 PM ET

I think Overeem would beat up JDS pretty badly.  Overeem completes with the highest level kickboxers, JDS doesnt.  Im imagining a stand up battle.  Did you watch the JDS crocop fight AND the Crocop overeem fight?  Crocop while a shell of his formerself, was getting wrecked by overeem and holding his own against dos santos.
If it goes to the ground id bet on overeems experience and ground game out weighing JDS ground game.
Then throw in the fact that overeem is a fair amount bigger.

"Fact: knowledge or info based on real occurrences, opinion: a belief held with confidence not substantiated by proof."

skelliher
skelliher
  • Predictions:  5,670  |  63.4%
  • Forum Posts:  11,051
  • Post Score: 245

02.15.2011 | 2:05 PM ET

I actually think Overeem might took on JDS, but I think Cain would defeat him based on how their styles match up. I think Cain would have trouble with JDS, but would have a much easier time with Overeem.

"When a game cannot be won, change the game."

skelliher
skelliher
  • Predictions:  5,670  |  63.4%
  • Forum Posts:  11,051
  • Post Score: 245

02.15.2011 | 2:06 PM ET

*might tool on

"When a game cannot be won, change the game."

MikeAWhitney
MikeAWhitney

02.15.2011 | 6:23 PM ET

Yeah Matt Matrione would be a good match up. I have a feeling Matrione would over power him though.
Gregory
Gregory
  • Predictions:  6,817  |  63.3%
  • Forum Posts:  18,565
  • Post Score: 275

02.15.2011 | 6:43 PM ET

Mitrione vs Overeem would probably end up going similar to Brett Rogers vs Overeem.  Mitrione's striking is getting better, but with Overeem you are talking about a complete destroyer.

"I live, I die, I live again."

TacomaTerror
TacomaTerror
  • Predictions:  149  |  60.4%
  • Forum Posts:  480
  • Post Score: 59

02.15.2011 | 7:36 PM ET

Mitriones striking.. would be like getting a junior college boxer against floyd mayweather.

Seriously, I think he destroys him in a matter of moments. If I was the UFC? Put him up against someone tough, Frank Mir maybe.

" ."All praise is to Allah, I'll fight any man, any animal, if Jesus were here I'd fight him too." "

thefreeman
thefreeman
  • Predictions:  9,496  |  60.0%
  • Forum Posts:  1,751
  • Post Score: 198

02.15.2011 | 8:06 PM ET

The reigning heavyweight kickboxer of the world against a guy with 4 fights?? Mitrione may be athletic but I think Alistair works out occasionally
TacomaTerror
TacomaTerror

02.15.2011 | 8:13 PM ET

Agreed. Mitrione is a tough S.O.B.. but have you seen Overeem lately? He is now coming in at over 265 every fight and it lightning quick as well. Not someone I would stand against.

" ."All praise is to Allah, I'll fight any man, any animal, if Jesus were here I'd fight him too." "

jeremy
jeremy
  • Predictions:  1,062  |  63.0%
  • Forum Posts:  819
  • Post Score: 168

02.15.2011 | 8:26 PM ET

at this point reem is head and shoulders above any other striker in heavyweight MMA. the only way you beat him is by lasting into the 2nd and 3rd rounds, where his cardio has traditionally been suspect, and that was at light heavyweight to boot so the vulnerability should still be there when he is sixty pounds heavier. if that's the gameplan, cain has the best shot at beating him out of the current UFC heavyweights. it would be a great title fight.

does anyone know if strikeforce has a similar contract clause to the UFC that provides that the promotion can extend the contract of a standing champion even if it would otherwise expire? i know that's the case with the UFC. if strikeforce has that, they could conceivably keep him on as long as he remains the champ.

i think a decent tune-up fight for reem if he was to somehow land in the UFC would be Cheick Kongo. He'd handle Kongo, most likely, but it would be dangerous since Kongo also has good standup (not as good), good power, one of the longest reaches in the division, and increasingly powerful wrestling. reem would be a heavy favorite, but certainly not a lock against kongo.

"Damn right I like the life I live / Cause I went from negative to positive."

thefreeman
thefreeman
  • Predictions:  9,496  |  60.0%
  • Forum Posts:  1,751
  • Post Score: 198

02.15.2011 | 9:01 PM ET

I would hate to see Overeem trapped in Strikeforce I have heard that Bellator has Hector Lombard mired down in a similar clause. Politics suck.
TacomaTerror
TacomaTerror

02.15.2011 | 9:46 PM ET

Honestly if I was Reem I would continue to dominate in Strikeforce. They have a fairly deep HW division, and once he continues to grow move to the UFC. It is not like Strikeforce is weak in the HW division, they have some decent talent.

kallousklown
kallousklown
  • Predictions:  24,203  |  62.6%
  • Forum Posts:  10,967
  • Post Score: 177

02.15.2011 | 9:54 PM ET

reem should only consider going to ufc after he wipes out strikeforces HW division.

"Are we gonna jump, or we just gonna jerk each other off?"

TacomaTerror
TacomaTerror

02.15.2011 | 9:59 PM ET

I think he should take his time and get comfterable. Really, what is the rush? He has good competition where he is at and can work on his game more. He should beat Bigfoot.. and Werdum, and maybe then make the trip to the UFC.

MikeAWhitney
MikeAWhitney

02.15.2011 | 11:17 PM ET

Overeem and werdum will be a great fight I believe without a doubt but Im guessing this tournement is gonna be running until the start of next year.
bklettke
bklettke

02.16.2011 | 3:53 AM ET

When i think of Strikeforce and a champions clause i have to look at Jake Shields. He was able to leave after Dan Henderson, but there were also other variables with Shields. SF was expecting him to lose and had pretty much pushed him into the UFC because of that. Not sure what's up with Overeem, but I'd imagine he could walk away after his contract expires much like Shields, it's not like he's been competing for them all that much anyways until this HW tournament.

You must be signed in to reply. Sign in or register to join the discussion.

As an anonymous reader, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

• MMA Junkie : Diego Ferreira vs. Mateusz Rebecki prediction, pick, start time, odds for UFC on ESPN 56
  • MMAFighting.com : Jake Paul vs. Mike Tyson tickets include wild $2 million MVP package
  • MMA Mania : LIVE! Lomachenko Vs. Kambosos Results & Play-By-Play!
  • Middle Easy : Dana White Got Careless FedEx Employee Fired After Video Went Viral
  • MMA Junkie : Alonzo Menifield vs. Carlos Ulberg prediction, pick, start time, odds for UFC on ESPN 56
  • Middle Easy : Conor McGregor Ordered By Irish High Court To Disclose Profits From Proper No. 12 Whiskey Deal
  • MMAFighting.com : Vasiliy Lomachenko vs. George Kambosos start time, fight card, TV schedule, ring walks
  • MMA Junkie : Joaquin Buckley vs. Nursulton Ruziboev prediction, pick, start time, odds for UFC on ESPN 56
  • MMA Mania : UFC St. Louis Start time, Full Fight Card Details
  • Bad Left Hook : Tyson Fury shows off ready physique ahead of Usyk fight
  • MMAFighting.com : Rampage Jackson believes Stipe Miocic beats Jon Jones: ‘I just feel like he might not have a chin’
  • MMA Mania : Chaos! Misfits Weigh-In Ends With Surprise Slap, Melee
  • MMA Junkie : Derrick Lewis vs. Rodrigo Nascimento prediction, pick: Will 'The Black Beast' add to his knockout record?
  • UFC.com : Prelim Results | UFC St. Louis
  • UFC.com : Main Card Results | UFC St. Louis
  • UFC.com : Official Scorecards | UFC St. Louis
  • MMAFighting.com : UFC St. Louis predictions
  • MMA Mania : Good Morning! Australian Fighter Left Motionless After Violent KO
  • MMA Junkie : UFC on ESPN 56 predictions: Can Rodrigo Nascimento topple Derrick Lewis in St. Louis?
  • MMA Junkie : Derrick Lewis’ all-time best UFC octagon interview moments