Tapology Forums

Moster Overrated & Underrated Fighters

Anonymous Mode

You are not logged in to Tapology. When browsing anonymously, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

caymanfighter
caymanfighter
  • Predictions:  43  |  55.8%
  • Forum Posts:  54
  • Post Score: 80

02.10.2011 | 6:38 AM ET

We all know the greats, but who out there do you feel is being given more hype than their skills deserve? Who do you feel should be given a shot at the "big times" that isn't even on peoples radar but has the skills to hang at an elite level? Is there anyone you feel is being "protected" from bad match-ups because of their name? Are there fighters you question their reason for being "in the mix"? Should there be another veteran based TUF to bring out some of the skilled fighters that have a hard time developing a fan following?

Responses

BeastMaster
BeastMaster
  • Predictions:  1,958  |  59.8%
  • Forum Posts:  3,029
  • Post Score: 180

02.10.2011 | 7:11 AM ET

Michael bisping and Brock lesnar

"Be peaceful, be courteous, obey the law, respect everyone; but if someone lays a hand on you, send him to the cemetery."

thiagosilva9794
thiagosilva9794
  • Predictions:  5,113  |  60.4%
  • Forum Posts:  11,315
  • Post Score: 142

02.10.2011 | 7:21 AM ET

OverRated : Jon Jones, Nate Marquardt, Wanderlei Silva

UnderRated : Rich Franklin, Michael Bisping, Yushin Okami (maybe?),  Matt Serra, Jake Ellenberger.

"I really feel like I'm the most dangerous guy out there" BJ Penn........... UFC on Fox 2 event winner :)

BeastMaster
BeastMaster

02.10.2011 | 7:23 AM ET

Nate the great and the Axe murderer are not overrated.

"Be peaceful, be courteous, obey the law, respect everyone; but if someone lays a hand on you, send him to the cemetery."

bklettke
bklettke
  • Predictions:  2,109  |  64.7%
  • Forum Posts:  1,761
  • Post Score: 117

02.10.2011 | 7:27 AM ET

Damn thiagosilva we just can't get you on the Jon Jones bandwagon! LOL, whattaya gonna do if he beats Shogun?

BeastMaster
BeastMaster

02.10.2011 | 7:38 AM ET

I think jones is a al ittle overrated. We will see after the fight.

caymanfighter
caymanfighter

02.10.2011 | 7:47 AM ET

@thiagosilva9794 I totally agree with Okami but question Bisping. Bisping receives good exposure as the posterboy for British MMA. If you look at the stats over the last five years though he has landed more power punches than anyone in the UFC yet has the lowest knockdown or KO ratio to power punches: (its a fact you can google) which means he is a bit lacking in the power department. I think he is more hated than underrated which is sad because he is a cool guy that seems to rub American fans the wrong way. Good looking out for Ellenberger as well although his last performance was lacking. I'm gonna piss alot of people off by saying this but I think the most overrated guy in MMA right now is Aoki. He has no striking and his "Godlike" jitz was no where to be seen against Melendez. I was a big fan of his but his train has left. He needed to make the jump to fight top tier competition in America a long time ago, I think its a game of catching up to the rest of the MMA world in his case now.
thiagosilva9794
thiagosilva9794

02.10.2011 | 8:12 AM ET

@beastmaster...Wanderlei is 3-5 in the ufc and people still think he is unreal ... i just dont see it.... @bklettke Il never Jump on!!! haha .... i dont really like shogun either so doesnt bother me that much who wins. @caymanfighter Ya but alot of americans aswell as hating him say he is **** etc etc....ya i no his power is lacking him i dont love him or anything i just dont think he gets enuff credit his only decisive loss is to Hendo and theres no shame in that, Well i wouldnt really know about aoki cos i dont really watch mma outside ufc i just love knowing about Hendo :D

"I really feel like I'm the most dangerous guy out there" BJ Penn........... UFC on Fox 2 event winner :)

Yaspaa
Yaspaa
  • Predictions:  173  |  73.4%
  • Forum Posts:  1,422
  • Post Score: 151

02.10.2011 | 8:43 AM ET

Overated and Underated

Why are all thge fighters who win considered overated and vice-versa? Jones mauls everyone he comes in contact with, you can see the talent oozing out of him. Why is he considered overated?

"I Get Better."

thiagosilva9794
thiagosilva9794

02.10.2011 | 8:52 AM ET

theres just too much hype surrounding him other people are on the same amount of wins in a row if not more like G-Sot and they arent getting half the hype.

caymanfighter
caymanfighter

02.10.2011 | 9:10 AM ET

@yaspaa I get your point. I don't consider Bones overrated. I do think that it is 1 or 2 fights too soon and definitely not enough time between fights for him fighting someone the caliber of Shogun. He wasn't injured in his fight vs Bader but you never go though a camp and not feel banged up before the fight. He simply wont have down time to let any little nagging injuries heal or let his body recover from the hell that his fight camp. I wish him the best though. Very promising fighter.
bklettke
bklettke

02.10.2011 | 9:17 AM ET

@caymanfighter - HELLS YEAH on Aoki, i've never thought he was anything to brag about as an MMA fighter and when he was ranked at #2 behind BJ for quite some time it drove me nuts! They guy has no striking and has shown no desire to improve it. I was happy when Sakurai KO'd him on the ground with a knee and even happier on New Years when he was knocked out cold in the first 5 seconds of the "mma" round! He doesn't even make my top 10 LW's.

caymanfighter
caymanfighter

02.10.2011 | 9:35 AM ET

Overrated: Tito Ortiz, Shinya Aoki, Todd Duffee honorable mentions Gilbert Melendez, Jake Shields, Gina Carrano.

Underrated: Phil Davis, Mark Hominick, Alistair Overeem honorable mentions, Gray Maynard, Jon Fitch, Megumi Fujii
bklettke
bklettke

02.10.2011 | 9:59 AM ET

I think Jake Shields is the Aoki of 170 in a way. I'm sure he's working on his striking, but it hasn't shown much improvement over his 14 fight win streak, 15? Whatever, it'll show on APR 29.

runrunshaw
runrunshaw
  • Predictions:  4,819  |  56.5%
  • Forum Posts:  186
  • Post Score: 138

02.10.2011 | 10:03 AM ET

this may not be popular but i think Nick Diaz is overrated.

He is definitely a warrior and I love watching him fight!!!!!!!!!! but there's been talk of him coming back to the ufc and clearing out the division. I just don't see that happening. Not that he would get KO or anything, he'll just get out pointed by guys like GSP, Kos, Fitch, Diego, Alves and others..... That's a long list.

Underrated? veterans like Lytle and Randy. Both could get title shots with wins in their next fights.

"R18"

bklettke
bklettke

02.10.2011 | 10:26 AM ET

I don't know if Randy has been underrated, i'd call it the underdog. I'm hoping he can somehow, someway get one more title shot......
minotauro11
minotauro11
  • Predictions:  2,483  |  66.5%
  • Forum Posts:  4,493
  • Post Score: 148

02.10.2011 | 3:11 PM ET

Overrated: Diaz brothers (sorry, had to be said), Bisping (given favorable match ups just because he's british), Shields (honestly, the worst striking in the UFC).

Underrated: Okami (maybe not, but he is definitely a top 5 guy, isn't really promoted as one), Phil Davis 

"We Are All One"

skelliher
skelliher
  • Predictions:  5,670  |  63.4%
  • Forum Posts:  11,051
  • Post Score: 245

02.10.2011 | 3:28 PM ET

I agree with the Diaz brothers, particularly Nick Diaz. I don't think Nate is talked about nearly as much. Completely disagree on Shields. Yes, he has horrible striking, but based on his resume alone, he deserves all of the credit he receives, if not more. After all, he defeated Okami, which is a guy a weight class above that you have listed as underrated.

"When a game cannot be won, change the game."

BeastMaster
BeastMaster

02.10.2011 | 3:31 PM ET

Hold up the diaz brother?!!!  I might be able let nate pass but nick has proved himself time and time again.

skelliher
skelliher
  • Predictions:  5,670  |  63.4%
  • Forum Posts:  11,051
  • Post Score: 245

02.10.2011 | 3:35 PM ET

Nick has proved himself against competition far outside of the top ten time and time again.

"When a game cannot be won, change the game."

caymanfighter
caymanfighter

02.11.2011 | 7:26 AM ET

lol @skelliher I am gonna have to jump on the fence on this one with the Diaz brothers. I'm not sure if they are over or under rated as much as they are hated. Both are very talented but as you stated Nick hasn't fought anyone top tier in a while and Nate has shown he isn't ready for the elite of the LW or WW divisions he his on his way though. I have to ask though, isn't this a trend amongst the Cesar Gracie guys? I have respect for the streak which Shields has ran up but I would say more than 85% of those fights were against opponents he could easily defeat with jitz. He deserves the utmost respect for defeating Hendo although I firmly believe Hendo "blew his wad" in the first round and instead of focusing on grappling for the fight he has fallen in love with his right hand. Not to put down any one camp but also look at Melendez saying he should be ranked above BJ at LW. Who besides another overrated fighter (Aoki) has he fought recently to be considered an elite LW? I don't understand why he signed with SF again if he wants to be known as the best LW. He could have easily made the jump and had some amazing match-ups in the UFC or even Bellator. I would love to see how he stacks up against an underrated guy like Jim Miller.

You must be signed in to reply. Sign in or register to join the discussion.

As an anonymous reader, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

• Jits Magazine : Abu Dhabi Grand Slam Tour – Abu Dhabi 2024 Full Results And Review
  • MMA Mania : White: New UFC Deal Struck Because Saudi Arabia ‘Wanted Power Slap’
  • MMA Mania : ‘Bullet’ Wants ‘Demolidor’ In Saudi Arabia
  • MMA Junkie : 'Thank you for making my life easy': MMA community celebrates Mother's Day on social media
  • MMAFighting.com : Ciryl Gane to carry Olympic torch ahead of 2024 Olympic Games in Paris
  • MMA Mania : Matches To Make After UFC St. Louis
  • MMA Junkie : 5 biggest takeaways from UFC on ESPN 56: Derrick Lewis magic returns and Dana White criticism of main card winner
  • MMA Junkie : Video: Ex-Bellator title challenger Alejandra Lara bloodies opponent in first-round TKO win
  • MMA Junkie : Joaquin Buckley shifts to Gilbert Burns after unrealistic Conor McGregor callout: 'I'm definitely not going to get that'
  • MMA Mania : Lewis Ready To ‘Dibble Dabble’ In WWE, On One Condition...
  • MMA Mania : Lewis Ready To ‘Dibble Dabble’ In WWE (On One Condition)
  • MMAFighting.com : Deontay Wilder concerned for Mike Tyson in Jake Paul fight: ‘God forbid he gets hurt’
  • MMA Junkie : Mick Maynard's Shoes: What's next for Derrick Lewis after UFC on ESPN 56 knockout win?
  • MMAFighting.com : Olympic champ David Taylor closes door on wrestling, potential MMA career after becoming Oklahoma State coach
  • MMA Junkie : Former UFC champ Andrei Arlovski added to Conor McGregor vs. Michael Chandler card at UFC 303
  • Middle Easy : Derrick Lewis Plans To ‘Dibble Dabble’ In WWE While Fighting For UFC
  • MMA Junkie : Bryce Mitchell down with Sean Woodson's UFC St. Louis callout: 'I need some money'
  • MMAFighting.com : Mateusz Rebecki reveals gruesome aftermath of stoppage loss to Diego Ferreira in new hospital photo
  • MMA Mania : ‘We Gotta Get Out Of The Apex’
  • MMA Mania : Latest UFC 302 Fight Card, PPV Lineup